Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Breaking... US Supreme Court overturns Roe v Wade

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Oh I know but putting more and more on will never solve the issue. And you cant say judges are completely non partisan. You often here what judge you Infront of then good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,911 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Can you clarify your last statement? Because it sounds like you're conflating what people say here, with what goes on in a courtroom (anywhere, Ireland, USA, well, places with the rule of law so not RuZZia...)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,822 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

They're banned.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,515 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Texas introduces bill to ban Texans from learning knowledge about abortion pills on the internet.

Insane legislation that hasn’t a hope of being constitutional but it’s astounding how quickly they go from “Chinese Communist Party bad” to “let’s take lessons from the CCP”

The bill is also a strong contradiction of Texas House Bill 20, which (already passed) seeks to BAN internet companies from moderating content. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Registered Users Posts: 33,822 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Or lessons from Ireland 35 years ago... for a while you could be jailed if you held a sign with the phone number 01 - 679 4700 so they figured out if each person only held up one digit they might get away with it...

Post edited by Hotblack Desiato on

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

But..but...they're 'pro-life'.

I've said it once and I'll say it again, Republicans are proper evil bastards and I can't wait for the next fool who tries to suggest otherwise defend this latest clear-cut evidence of such.

Great my wife is going to have another panic attack. We live in this dumbass state.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭archermoo

You have my sympathy. Then again I have friends and family that live in Oklahoma...

Hello again.

A few days ago a 5th circuit judge in Texas iirc ruled to block the legal use of mifepristone, the abortion pill, by blocking the FDA approval of the drug.

A separate federal circuit judge elsewhere, issued a competing ruling protecting the drug. Mifepristone was approved 23 years ago by the FDA.

It's now going to go back to SCOTUS, where they just undid Roe vs. Wade just 10 months ago.

Late Wednesday, the 5th US Circuit Court of Appeals froze part of the ruling. The court said the drug, that was approved in 2000, could stay on the market, but agreed with Kacsmaryk that access could be limited.

The appeals court ordered a return to the stricter, pre-2016 FDA regime around the drug, which prevents mailing the pill to patients who obtained it through telehealth, or virtual visits with their providers rather than traveling to a clinic or hospital to obtain the drug in person.

Laws blocking the pill from being mailed or administered by teleheath were considered 'TRAP Laws' - there's no medicalogical reason they can't be remotely prescribed to the patient, but some states still try to insist it must happen in a clinic, and those clinics must have operating room grade facilities, it cant be X miles from any school etc. etc. to push cost up and access out to abortions for arbitrary and capricious reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,452 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

While they have the supreme court numbers this will keep on happening, never mind that it is a minority of the populace supporting these moves.

They will always deny that is their plan and act hurt when called out about it but will keep on doing it.

It will all crumble away one day, you can't keep making decisions as a minority and not having it backfire but it could be a couple of decades.

When it backfires, they will act all hurt as well, because they are, to a fault, absolute cowards and hypocrites.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Kacsmaryk seemingly has a history of these rulings, and I think generally they are never upheld on appeal so I wouldn't fret too much yet (at least in this specific case).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,911 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Here's the link that the previous writer got via 'prolife today' which published the above.

The author (Jacobs) is a lawyer. As for the data it seems to come from the Lozier 'institute', a well-known bunch of anti-abortion liars.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭archermoo

Even if everything you wrote were absolutely true, and I don't grant that it is, none of it matters. The concept of bodily autonomy overrides other considerations. In the US at least a person's body cannot be used without their consent. Even to save the life of another person. Even if that person will die without it. If you were the only match that could be found for someone who needed a kidney or they would die, you cannot be forced to donate that kidney. Bone marrow donation is another one. The procedure for doing it means that the person that is going to receive the donor marrow needs to have their marrow destroyed before the donor donates their marrow. So there is a window before the donor has donated their marrow but the patient who needs the marrow has had their marrow destroyed and so they will die a horrible painful death if they don't get new marrow. During that window it is still perfectly legal for the donor to back out. And it happens. I know of at least two instances of it happening in just my personal experience. There isn't any way to find a new donor in time, so patients that this happens to die. But as bad as it is, there still shouldn't be a law forcing them to. Because people have bodily autonomy.

Around 13 people per day die in the US because they need a kidney. If everyone was tissue typed it would be easy to find someone that matched most if not all of those people, and then as long as they had two kidneys they could donate one. Liver transplants don't even require the entire organ be transplanted, so people could just give up part of their liver to save the life of another person. And if everyone was required to donate blood regularly, especially people who are O-, there would never be a worry about the blood supply. None of that is legislated though, because people have bodily autonomy and you cannot force them to use their body to help someone else.

In 2022 there were 33 maternal deaths for every 100,000 births in the US. In 2019, the most recent year I could find numbers for, there were 4 maternal deaths related to abortion procedures. Women are considerably more likely to die due to a pregnancy than they are due to an abortion. Forcing them to give birth is forcing them to risk their lives against their will.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

If women want to have an abortion that is fine I don't care, but I really wish pro abortion campaigners would stop making the completely false argument that it is a "healthcare issue". It isn't .Women have abortions because they don't want the hassle of having a baby for whatever reason that may be.In only a very small percentage of cases is abortion associated with healthcare.

This type of argument is typical of the emotive bullsh1t and blatant lies the modern left can't seem to avoid using in order to get their points across.

Abortions involve a doctor?

Then it sure isn't automobile repair. It's healthcare.

The emotional argument is your own: judging people for what they do privately. It has nothing to do with you.

It's not healthcare, it's an abortion.

It is not an operation that is being performed for the health of anyone, it's being done to avoid hassle not for improving health.

An abortion is healthcare, so your statement is illogical.

It is in fact often related to and likened to an operating procedure by anti-abortion activists. Many of whom have been successful in requiring state abortion facilities to be surgically prepped facilities to handle all procedures and complications.

If it had nothing at all to do with healthcare why would anti-abortion activists lobby to have abortion done only under the most clinical of conditions? 😶

Why would the Mississippi state regs on abortion facilities mention "health" 51 times?

Sure seems like the Republicans totally understand it to be healthcare based on the evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

My cousin was diagnosed with Stage 3 colon cancer in her second trimester thanks to an inherited gene flaw.

For the uninitiated, the second trimester is from 12 to about 25 weeks of pregnancy.

Unfortunately, in order to perform the surgery she needed and to administer the regime of toxic medicine and radiation she required to complete her treatment, it was necessary to terminate her pregnancy, in order to save at least one of them, rather than the certainty that both mother and foetus would have died.

Regrettably, due to the absolutely monstrous, cruel and downright ****ing inhuman termination regime that existed in Ireland at the time, because there was no immediate and imminent threat to her life, she and her husband had to take a commercial flight to England, to have the termination performed at a Women's Healthcare facility in Essex, all while she was feeling very ill, before returning home the next day on another no frills service with the remains of their child that never could be, in a vacuum bag within a small insulated box.

Don't ever insult my intelligence again by claiming abortion is not a healthcare issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭mikewest

Oh grow the hell up. Life's infinitely more complex than that pea brained so called 'pro life" comment could ever countenance. There are multitudes of physical medical reasons for needing an abortion without touching on the psychological reasons. Any absolutist reasoning is the refuge of a ducking moron who has never lived a day in the real world.

Which is a case very much in the minority.

You didn't read my comment properly. I said in almost all cases abortion has nothing to do with healthcare, and it doesn't.

The reason abortion get's legalized is not for any healthcare issue, it's for convenience of the women who doesn't want to have a baby.

If the abortion laws only existed for cases like you highlighted above then obviously abortion would be a health care issue but as we all know it doesn't .

• Advertisement

And if you read the statistics you'll find that the vast majority of abortion are performed for women who just don't want to have a baby. Which is fine.Stop pretending that this isn't the case.

You've actually further proven the point I made in my initial post by being so ridiculously emotive in your response.

The validity of such statistics are specious at best it is a healthcare issued tied to healthcare privacy.

Nobody is required to explain to anyone else why they sought an abortion.

Anyone who claims abortions aren't a healthcare issue are just scumbags who are looking for reasons to judge women for the decisions they make with their own body.

No they're not.They're making a perfectly valid argument.

I don't actually care whether women have abortions or not that is their own business but it doesn't help the argument in favour of abortion when people are completely disingenuous when they argue for it.

In almost all cases it isn't a healthcare issue everybody know this is the case everybody know the reason people want abortion legalized is so women can have the option to have one if they wish.

If it was genuinely a healthcare issue then you wouldn't have people pushing for free for all abortion you'd have them arguing for abortion with clauses attached to it but of course that isn't the case people who argue in favour of abortion want no free for all abortion without any medical reason which is perfectly fine.

By making the very flawed and largely innacurate argument "abortion is a healthcare issue" it allows people to push back against that argument and point out it's disingenuous and further delays any progress of the issue arguing "women should be allowed to have an abortion for the simple reason they want to have one" means you reduce the amount of flaw in that idea and reduce the amount of ways you can argue against it therefore strengthening the argument.

It's not a valid argument.

Abortion is healthcare. That is fact. Nothing you do or say changes that fact.

The only reason you're making this point is that you're trying to disguise the fact you are anti-choice.

Here's an idea, if you don't want an abortion, don't have one. If a woman seeks medical assistence from her doctor in order to terminate a pregnancy, then mind your own business.

I've said a few times if a woman has an abortion I'm fine with it that I don't care.

Except you care enough to undermine the clear fact that it is healthcare by spinning the usual anti-choice rhetoric.

I don't actually care whether women have abortions or not that is their own business but

Everything you've talked about here indicates that 'but' is doing all the heavy lifting. You actually have a great amount of consternation over whether women can have abortions or not, and what you think they should be allowed to have them, for.

Family Planning is Healthcare, even in Republican states.

• Advertisement

I'm not spinning any anti choice rhetoric.I said I'm in favour of women choosing to have an abortion if they wish.That's as far away from anti-choice as you can possibly get.

I'm just pointing out the false argument being made.If you really want to convince people of your argument in any situation you're better off not to lie to them.The "abortion is healthcare" argument is constantly being used to emotionally blackmail people and that sort of argument is actually the last thing to convince people who are against abortion as it's quite transparent as being untrue and people don't like being bullshitted by people trying to change their mind about something.

Your reaction is typical of the modern left, Agree with something but just because you aren't 100% on board with every single aspect of the argument being put forward you're now considered a heathen.

Advertisement