Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Guns N' Roses Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

I probably should know better by now but I see the official GNR twitter account wished Izzy a happy birthday last week...maybe a sign of good things to come? Either way I just wish the band would get on to releasing a record, preferably brand new with no Chinese Democracy era reheats.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I wouldn't read too much into the official GN'R twitter account wishing Izzy a Happy Birthday.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,423 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

35 years ago today appetite for destruction was released and it took a year or so but it took off and has sold around 30 million albums and is(or at least was) the best selling debut album ever. I mean it’s probably the album we heard of first from GNR and to me it’s the best because it was what started the bands rise to fame and also because it’s got Steven Adler drumming on it, which does help. I like Matt sorum as a person but his drumming to me felt clinical and not move swing to it, which Izzy has said wasn’t a good thing as steven leaving the band was the start of the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Suvarnabhumi

What a fantastic album it is too! 35 years ago, I feel old.

Apparently the live stuff being included in the forthcoming UYI set

• Advertisement

More details now. All a bit underwhelming really. November Rain with a 50-piece orchestra can be filed under a list of things the world didn't need.

It would have been great to hear a disc of the raw album tracks before Axl got his hands on them. There are quotes out there from Slash talking about how amazing the records sound in their raw state but I presume we won't ever get them now.

I can certainly do without the Las Vegas 92 live stuff but the Ritz 91 show will be good to have in one place.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/guns-n-roses-use-your-illusion-box-set/

The Ritz '91 show being the final warm up show (where Axl breaks his leg, as mentioned below), and the march towards Izzy's departure from the band in November 1991.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Very poor box set. Only thing of interest there is the Blu ray.

The 2022 version of November rain was released on streaming services on Friday and its the 1991 song but with an actual orchestra and not the synth that Axl used and the song has been remixed and it sounds great. The outro is where I notice the most differences, as Axl is more noticeable then in the 1991 version.

Steve Wilson did a great job with the November Rain remix, he also apparently remixed both Illusions albums, but was vetoed by the label or band.

• Advertisement

Been listening to the deluxe version since it dropped on Apple Music on Friday and the ritz and vegas live shows really show how much dicking around was done on the live era album with redoes and combining bits together to make one song. I’ve seen bits of the ritz show and damn it it’s so good and shows the band as they were before the UYI tour excess.

The Ritz 1991 show is way better than the Vegas '92 show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Thought the same. The "Live Era" album sounds fantastic, but the same songs (from different dates) on the new deluxe bonus disks sound very raw and almost under-rehearsed. I knew Axl re-recorded his vocals in '99 for some of the Live Era stuff but there must have been a ton of other studio trickery going on to make that album sound so good. No way were the band that hit and miss each night? Mostly 'miss' I'd say!

Btw, quite disappointed we didn't get all the YUI live tracks from 91-93 on those bonus disks. As far as I know we're missing Back Off Bitch (played once in 91), Garden of Eden (played twice in 93), The Garden, Dead Horse, Coma, Yesterdays, Breakdown, Pretty Tied Up.

If they were stuck for space, the could've made a separate EP with all the covers they added to the bonus disks. Having the likes of "Always on the Run" there just breaks the flow and makes little sense, imo.

European tour to be announced tomorrow apparently. Wonder if they'll do Ireland again and what venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

I'd doubt it unless they going in arenas. Malahide or Belsonic would perhaps be the most likely otherwise. Presume a Glasgow date to make up for last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Alas no Irish date this time around! 😪

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Yup no Ireland.

They had 3 Christmasses to flog tickets to Marlay Park and though sizeable didn't sell out.

These guys want to draw megabucks so aren't scaling down guaranteed festival cash and some stadiums. Glasto date looks certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Senature

There's a bit of space around those UK dates where an Irish date could be squeezed in. If memory serves the 2017 concert was announced seperately to their tour as a whole.

Am I clutching at straws?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

GNR have been added to line up at Glastonbury as the headliner on the Saturday night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

So what did we think of the set? Band were on top form , music was class. Axl's voice is still strong on the lower key songs but he struggled as the gig went on with the higher stuff.

Band were good. The only song I felt Axl was poor on was you could be mine. Every other song there was bit of the old voice and the lower voice songs sounded good. Reckless life was just superb imo and the end of patience was a blast from the past. The mix wasn’t great as maybe it was done to hide Axl’s voice but during November rain I couldn’t hear the piano, and duff’s mic wasn’t coming through early on.

Shock absolute horror that music that GNR said they release on a specific days doesn’t materialise. A count down started on their website about a song called perhaps and the countdown clock went until today.

Perhaps is stunningly average. Anyone else getting tired of Axl's old Chinese era songs being reheated with an extra topping of Slash and Duff? Over eight years since they got back together and not one brand new song between them. Laughable.

By the way anyone heard Duff's show on Nova? I switched it on while driving the other evening and had to switch it back off after a couple of songs. The 'banter' between him and his missus is toe curling. Why is she even on with him?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭gooner99

Hopefully The General will be much better when we finally get to hear it on the 27th of October as the B side on the Perhaps vinyl. It's always been one that has sounded promising, given that we used to get a bit of the orchestral bit at the start of shows. Word is that Atlas Shrugged will be released in November and that it will put to bed the Chinese era. But that's no guarantee that we will get brand new music after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Wow 8 years, time has flown.

over 6 years since slane, what a night that was :-D

the new stuff certainly isn’t anywhere near the back catalogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭XsApollo

listened to Perhaps the last few days,

it’s a load of drivel.

surely one of them could of wrote a song in the last 8 years.

As it’s past midnight here in Ireland it’s the 32 anniversary of the release of the use your illusion albums. 30 songs with lots of amazing stuff like November rain, estranged, and both versions of don’t cry on them. Some of that stuff was filler but we have songs like you could be mine and coma on these albums which are great songs. And given how the band history went it’s a good thing they released 30 songs when they did.

Been listening to Duff's new album Lighthouse, it's excellent. Very melodic songs that you'll find yourself humming along to after one listen. He still can't really sing of course but at least he can be bothered to write some decent tunes and get into the studio now and then, unlike some people!

• Advertisement

The general was meant to be a b side on the vinyl release of perhaps and stop me if you’ve heard this one, but the date they said it would be released didn’t come to pass. That being said we did get a leak to the general and another song called monthers which I had never had that title but Christ it’s actually good.

Advertisement