Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭50HX

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

The front eight probably where we look weakest, but we still seem well served at the back:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,374 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It will be a really tricky campaign this year. We could end up in the relegation battle with only three home games. We will need to win all three and pick two point on the road to be safe.

Looking at the matches the home match against Armagh could be the tricky one. Even though Ballybofey is a fortress for Donegal we probably need to bring something out of it Sunday

Not giving up.on the playoffs but this will be a tricky campaign.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Decent starting team considering all of the first choice players out. Only natural that the defending All Ireland champions has good strength in depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Barry o S where has he been last 5 years, met him in McHales park few a few years back took pictures with the kids,big powerfully lad nice to see him back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Lovely new away jersey. Will debut tomorrow against Donegal.

Very impressive for the first 25 minutes, good interplay to work scores and crowding out Donegal at the other end, but since they in turn started pulling players back into defence, the momentum has rather stalled.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Loved the Kerry goal, seeing the messing with the short kickout and ridiculous handpassing fully punished 😊.

You will never sell a blue kerry Jersey to me.

No-one will be getting overly worked up about the first round of the league, especially with half a panel, but still frustrating to see all the sideways passing - flashbacks to the Peter Keane era!

• Advertisement

What was jack so rattled about.

Adrian Spillane was punched off the ball before he was taken off. Was clipped by a few Donegal players throughout the first half after he moaned about a few decisions and lost the head altogether.

Then Donegal had a point (if not 2) that looked wide that Jack was furious about in the first half.

Little to be complaining about. Lads need to get the O'Neills out this week and kick the ball over the bar. Wasted plenty of chances.

Good game in awful conditions on an awful pitch. Donegal deserved the win but we should have managed the game much better at 1-6 to 0-3. Nobody went down to kill Donegals momentum when we hadn't scored for 20(?)mins.

Dara Roche impressed. Not the best outing for Tony or Killian.

Lots of lads started well but ran out of steam.

Poor enough Kerry crowd compared to previous years but understandable considering the long journey.

Big pressure to go on and beat Monaghan next week now.

Poor enough outing. We got a great start and we're set up to go on and win after 25 minutes. Then after Donegal got a point that wasa wide ball we seemed to lose our way.

Fought back well in the last 10-15 minutes to get ourselves in a position to win or draw the game but bad decision making and bad shooting left going home with nothing.

Half back line lacked pace and there and the last third was where we struggled. No free taker either. Shane Murphy made a poor attempt at the two long ones he took. Seemed too casual with his run up was very short. Seemed to well have the distance but both shots tailed off

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭dobman88

Didn't think it was a total disaster today given who we were missing. The big thing we found out is that the starting forwards are good subs to have but the lads behind them on the panel have some Work to do.

Patton wound the clock down perfectly. Limping out to the ref before a kick out with Donegal up by one. Few nonsense "stretches" and he bangs it past the half way line. Our lads didn't have that tactical nous to take the sting out of the game when needed and devoid of ideas in the latter stages.

Donegal stayed with us 1st half and made use of the wind 2nd half while we missed at least 5 handy ones to just suck the life out of us.

A good run out for lads and shows them the standard they need to get up to.

Dónal Down and Darragh Roche certainly doing their chances for the Championship no harm - bit worrying though that no-one other than the Cliffords or Seán O'Shea seem able to take a free!

Much better and much sharper performance.

Jack Barry was my MOTM. Exceptional workrate and central to everything good we did today.

Brilliant from Donal Down, Tony Brosnan and Darragh Roche as well today. Brosnan dropped deep and set up some amount of scores.

Lovely cameo from Paudie Clifford as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Forge83

Happy for Donal to get it but Jack equally deserving. He looks in even better shape than last year, covered massive ground.

I must say I’m a massive Adrian Spillane fan, he really sets the intensity bar for the team as a whole and I think he’s a vital part of the team when the going gets tough.

Donal and Darragh have already jumped ahead of Killian I think. Tony is a strange one, he’s not clicking in his usual corner forward scoring position but when he moved out the field into a playmaker today he was excellent. The problem for him is this is Paudie’s position so he will end up as the reserve to him.

One would expect David and Shane Ryan to be back for the Mayo game. What is the story with Sean O Shea, Diarmuid O Connor and Gavin White?

Huge Adrian Spillane fan as well. He is brilliant at breaking up counter attacks from.oppisomg teams. Really brings a strength to us in the middle third.

Brilliant goal.by Paudie today. Killian is probably better coming on as an impact sub at this stage. We saw last year at championship how he was the choice for that. He probably has a bit of work to do before championship. Both O'Sullivan and Roche may be challenging PG for his position.

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Tom Thumbless

Good to see Kerry Camogie team getting a run out in Fitzgerald Stadium on Saturday. These girls often go unnoticed and put in a great effort

• Advertisement

See the football team Paudie starting instead of Adrian. However I expect SoS to start as well. We wl need him to start to take frees. David Clifford will probably come on in the second half

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-41074352.html

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭50HX

Missing Adrian's work rate bug time in first half, it'll take some come back

1st decent team we play and no plan B. Dara Roche Still seems to be carrying some timber and not fully fit or is it just his build is a bit deceptive?

I can only hope Jack ran the bollox out of them over the last couple of weeks and that would go some way to explain that utter shambles tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

It’s February… mayo have more training done than Kerry.. tonight’s game was an all Ireland final to mayo.. if they are playing like that in June/July fair play to them.. and it’s not rocket science that without David Clifford upfront kerry aren’t up to much.. I wouldn’t be worried about it..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭PressRun

That wasn't an All-Ireland final to Mayo. Delighted to win, of course. But we all realise it's only February, even those of us in Mayo.

I be a bit worried. If all the new young filads I see nothing new there except Barry O Sullivan at midfield. We have not managed to find a new half forward or half back.

I had hoped Breen back would give an extra option but he was poor against Donegal.

Half forward line was too small tonight, really missed Adrian Spillane. Probably should have tried Obunkor at half forward from the start to help strengthen the middle third.

Dylan Casey looked ok when he came on but hard to judge. What the story with Dan O Donohue.

The only hope is they are training hard but some improvement is needed. Having said that both the midfielders played well enough it was just neither our HB line or HF line preformed well.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

For as long as I can remember mayo have played some of their best football in the month of February

• Registered Users Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭PressRun

Not as long as I can remember and I've been following Mayo a little while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

List off some of the great February performances there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭munster87

Advertisement