Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Sexual harassment

Options
  • 07-12-2021 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

I’m asking for my sister as I consider this sexual harassment but she isn’t sure and like most women doesn’t want to create a big fuss or make this situation worse for herself.

She has to work in a close environment with one particular person. A Man. He keeps calling her sweetheart and putting his hand on her lower back. Touching her hand and being over familiar and touching her arm any chance he can get. I’ve told her to use covid apart but the nature of the work means they have to be close together.

Now before anyone jumps on me. She is a kind woman and finds it very hard to stand up for herself. I’m too much the other way and would tell him to back the f@@k up from the first touch.

She is intimidated by him and now dreads if she’s on duty with him.

Ive told her to report it directly to the company if she can’t say it to him directly. It’s complicated as he also has a sibling who works in the same company and she is nervous that she may be bullied by this person if she reports her brother.

All advice welcome and I just want to show her the replies here to give her the confidence to see she is not in the wrong for wanting him to stop this behaviour.

Please be kind with your replies and try to understand how nervous she is about the whole thing.

Comments

Thats not on at all.

Quiet word is def the best approach but if not, quiet word to hr.

No other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,745 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

definitely not ok, she should try say it to him first and then to HR if he persists.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I feel for her its not easy, she needs to 100% tackle this head on.

If HR dont assist in a meaningful way she is better off out of the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭who what when

I don't think I'd describe it as sexual harassment though. Maybe inappropriate behaviour? Either way she needs to do something about before it escalates into something that could be classed as sexual harassment!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,745 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

whatever it is its inappropriate and shouldnt be tolerated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Personally, I would be going for the talking to him approach first before going to HR the way you are describing it, it sounds more inappropriate than anything else what is he like with other staff? if it is only her he behaves like this with I would be concerned, is there a big age difference between them is he a lot older than her.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭4dxc

100% sexual harassment and not acceptable in any way.

Should be taken up with HR or other reporting mechanisms which are hopefully in place!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Bikeboo

Yes I agree, more inappropriate than harassment. That’s why I wanted other opinions . Maybe if she uses those words with him or HR it wouldn’t be as hard to report.

I just know you have to word it carefully and I guess I’m seeing red as I’m worried and defensive for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

In the end, she might need to use the words....please stand back I like my own space I know that is hard to do especially if she is not confident in herself, would she feel alright about discussing it in confidence with the manager saying she is not making a complaint at the moment but is looking for advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭4dxc

Well, see the definition below. How and in what way she wants to bring it up is a different discussion, but if she wanted she`d have a case on the below.

If she just wants it to stop it could be a bilateral discussion in presence of another trusted person?

Sexual harassment is an unwelcome sexual advance, unwelcome request for sexual favours or other unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature which makes a person feel offended, humiliated and/or intimidated, where a reasonable person would anticipate that reaction in the circumstances.

Examples of sexually harassing behaviour include:

• unwelcome touching
    • staring or leering;
    • suggestive comments or jokes;
    • sexually explicit pictures or posters;
    • unwanted invitations to go out on dates;
    • requests for sex;
    • intrusive questions about a person's private life or body;
    • unnecessary familiarity, such as deliberately brushing up against a person;
    • insults or taunts based on sex;
    • sexually explicit physical contact; and
    • sexually explicit emails or SMS text messages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭XsApollo

not sure if it’s sexual harassment but it’s definitely inappropriate , saying that I don’t imagine he is doing the same to any of his male colleagues so….

report it , log it and if there are any issues after reporting it keep logging them, any bullying or constructive dismissal afterwards is a lawsuits wet dream.

don’t need to work in an environment like that and there is plenty of work out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭thefallingman

There is a woman in my job who is very like this with men and women, get's right in your personal space and is overly flirty it's very annoying, i dealt with it by saying sorry do you mind keeping back the 2 metres i'm nervous about covid. She took it but things have been frosty since but i'm relieved it's over.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,723 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Maybe try addressing the sweetheart bit first.

Whenever he says it, reply with "My name is Bikeboo's-sister, please use it."

That might be enough to cause him to back off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

I'd suggest raising it with her manager first. Going to HR is likely to be a red rag and cause an escalation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭JoChervil

It is definitely a harassment. The one with touching lower back is definitely sexual harassment.

I would try two things knowing your sister kind and soft nature:

1. Maybe you could come a have a word with a man?
    2. I would write a card like: my name is..., please use it, I value my personal space, please respect it etc. and give it to him, whenever such inappropriate situation happens

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

First port of call is to tell him to stop. This should end the matter. Do it verbally or by email whichever she is more comfortable with.

I have worked with touchy people before and it has always been harmless in my situation but if she doesn't want it to happen then it shouldn't.

I would suggest being diplomatic as she still needs to work with the guy. Use covid as an excuse re the touching and every time he says Sweetheart correct him.

If he doesn't immediately change his behaviour after that then more stringent measures would be required.

Post edited by Pawwed Rig on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Anyone man or woman in 2021 who doesn’t realise (or possibly accept) that this behaviour is unacceptable has absolutely no excuse.

OP. Tell your sister to make a note of each incident over the next week or so. Date, time nature of incident. If she thinks it at all possible she should approach him and tell him that she’s very uncomfortable with their interactions and that she must insist that he doesn’t treat her any different then he would any other colleague from now on.

If she’s not comfortable then take the complaint to HR. I simply don’t believe that he doesn’t know that this is not acceptable any more.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

You want her to put up with it longer just to make notes? If it is that uncomfortable for her it needs to stop now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Ah she has to have a word with him don't know if he has behaved like this with others and if he is older may not be that aware his behaviour is inappropriate. I know men who have called women love etc and some would find that way out of order . She must have a quite word and if he takes the hump she could take it further .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

I’m talking about a few days. It’s hugely effective if HR can see a pattern, frequency, examples etc other then a general complaint. You do realise that they will ask her for examples?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

It is either a tolerable situation or it isn't. If it is tolerable then I cannot see it as sexual harrassment. If it is not tolerable it needs to stop immediately

• Registered Users Posts: 25,723 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

But she needs to anticipate what might happen if it doesn't stop immediately she says for it to stop: if that happens she needs to escalate. To do that, she needs evidence to show that it's a pattern, and to show she has communicated her desire for it to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

I'm a dude so I don't know how much value my opinion has here, but saying it to the guy directly, while embarrassing, would mean he should hopefully stop and not lose his job (altough if it's legit being done in a pervy manner, he probably does deserve to get fired..).

Going straight to HR is the nuclear option, but if she feels she can't talk to him directly for whatever reason - she shouldn't have to, then she should just take the nuclear option.

Nobody should feel uncomfortable in their job due to the actions of someone else invading their personal space all the time like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I doubt very much this guy would be touching the arm and back and calling his co-worker 'sweetheart' if the co-worker was a man. This is sexual harrassment 101 and any decent HR department would back her up on this.

She can say it to him first, just to give him a chance to change his behaviour, just tell him that she doesn't like being touched and to respect her personal space and keep it professional, and then it's zero tolerance after that

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Bikeboo

Many thanks for your advice I have shown my sister the thread and she said she will have to speak up and say it to him directly. She just found out he has been suspended before, but not the reason why so I assume if she goes to HR he will be heavily reprimanded if not fired.

Its not always easy for people to speak up, it took me a long time to defend myself against coercive bullying from a female boss, months on end of verbal slights which is why I just don’t tolerate anything other than professional courtesy at all times now aside from obvious harmless banter of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 PaulMartin1337

That's harassment, for sure! I hope your sister is safe now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 SimonHenderson

Sorry to hear about the harassment your sister is experiencing at work. It's never the victim's fault and that it's completely within your sister's rights to speak up and ask this person to stop. If she feels like she can't speak up directly, it might be helpful for her to report the behavior to the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

Fair play. Funnily, you shouldn't even have to say 'sorry', but of course it makes it easier to say it when using that word.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

By the definition of what sexual harassment is, this is 100% sexual harassment.

Advertisement