Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pension question

Options
  • 27-01-2023 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

I'm going to start filing for divorce, but can't find any info on how the pension side works. I've only a small pension (started it late) so will I lose half when I'm 65??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭dubal

Depends on lots of factors. Does your partner have a pension etc? What is the overall settlement?

If there was only one pension, its usually a share of the pension that relates the time married, but there are so many factors.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭wex96

Only 1 pension, which was set up after separation. Pension only 2 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Toby22

From what I know from a friend who is recently divorced, her pension entitlement ended with her share of what was in the pot when the divorce was signed. She was entitled to half as long as they were seperated

That seems unfair that she had rights to the pension right up until when the divorce was signed - far too many people have yet another incentive to drag the divorce out for longer than necessary. It should end on the date of their separation. Everything the law has lengthens this process, rather than penalises people who drag it out, and rewards people for concluding the divorce without delay. Now, that would be "in the best interests of the children", who far too often must live in the house during these years of high conflict as one person drags out the divorce to position themselves better financially.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Fiona

Like another person said depends on a lot of factors.

My partner has 3 children with his ex wife, all under the age of 18 at the time of divorce and she has never worked. He secured a nil adjustment pension order.

He was not able to have the contingent death in service moved to 50% me and 50% the kids as we were are not married so I have had to take out my own life assurance on him but a small price to pay to have your pension intact.

• Advertisement
Advertisement