Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow play at your home club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,095 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Then there’s the guy who tees up his ball, then stands back to give his long winded view on the

Crokes-Glen football match or the Marcus Rashford interference incident………

Just hit the f*****g ball you gobshyte!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,569 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Was behind 4 lads yesterday. Stableford competition. One lad played 9 shots before he was half-way to the green. Just lift your ball you fool as you can't score and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

I've learned over the years to:

1. Leave my bag on the way to the next tee before putting out.
    2. Grab my club and hit off immediately on arrival at the tee. This encourages partners to follow quickly.
    3. Ask partners score each hole but only mark their card every 3rd hole.
    4. Carry a provisional ball at all times.

Meeting golfers who I don't know or have hardly ever played with and having great chats and banter with is for me one of the most enjoyable aspects of playing golf. That said, you have to be aware and respectful of the pace of play. I find the few steps above help with speed and subtly convey the message to the rest of the group.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Dtoffee

This is golf as it should be, live and let live. Enjoy the game and respect those around you, I am playing nearly 50 years and have never timed a round. Like you, I decide on the club to play and then play the shot without undue fuss. I accept the fact that I am not a fast walker, but I never lose pace with those in front and see the game as an enjoyable challenge.

Anyone looking to run around a golf course should have the common sense to realise that the early spots are best suited to such behaviour. I know one guy in our club who insists on playing late on the time sheet and moans about slow play.... despite there being no gaps ahead or behind him, I think he just likes to moan tbh and that is where a lot of the issues arise. Someone having a bad day will always have an excuse and slow play is top of the list, but chances are they would have been equally bad in a fast group.

I wonder if all those looking for fast rounds were put together in one club, would they be happy or would there still be issues ? I suspect the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Most slow players don't realise that they are slow. They have developed bad habits over the years and unless someone actually points out what they are doing to make them slow, they will continue as they are.

My club is a busy club so it is always 4-balls.

My biggest grievance is when you are in a group with slow players and see that you are losing ground on the group in front. You say "Lads, we need to pick up the pace". Only to be completely ignored

• Advertisement

Exactly ..and you will probably find that one maybe two players are concious of what’s going on around them and two others..sometimes three have no idea, never had, never will.

Most frustrating and forks up your own golf game big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Agree fully Brenner's. I find myself rushing then and end up duffing shots etc whilst the others just saunter along.

Found myself some new partners and now we just motor along and play 'ready golf' on tees etc and don't sit on protocol.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Slow play can be annoying, but ultimately it comes down to this. If you can't commit to play a ball game for 3 to 4 hours without losing your rag or constantly worrying about your busy life then maybe golf just isn't for you.

Play 9 holes first thing in the morning or before sunset or maybe take up tennis?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Going by some of the comments on slow play it seems if your not playing off scratch and don't stand over it to immediately hit it you shouldn't be out on the course.

I can imagine anyone wanting to start playing would find this extremely off putting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

It's not really about losing the rag however. It's about losing sight of the four-ball in front who are tipping along just nicely whilst the groupings behind are looking to be called through.

• Advertisement

Ye I get that and like I said at times it can be quite annoying but it happens on (in my club rare) occasion so what? IMO we can't be questioning the concept of the game itself or the course designs and/or everything cos sometimes your game takes 15 minutes longer.

People sit in traffic for donkeys and accept it as 'thats just the way it is', but if they have to wait a couple of minutes for some slow golfers the sky falls in on them,

And yes, I'm exaggerating a bit to make my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

Group behind us today lost 2 & 1/2 holes on us over the course of 14 holes. They just walk and play slowly. No other two ways about it. Some of them are older gentleman but one is in his 20s

We have a couple of groups like that in the club too. Some are just quite old and others just aren't very good golfers and simply take more shots.

I get annoyed too when I see people being slow cos they're ambling and faffing around, but what can you say about older golfers? We gonna be old too at some stage (hopefully) and wouldn't want to be chased off the course because of it.

^ In the example above, what's the guy in the 20s gonna do? Run ahead?

Post edited by CalamariFritti on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Older guy at our club used to love to tell stories of the old days at the club and other funny things that have happened down the years. He’d stop whoever he wa telling the story to and grab them by the arm to stop them walking on as he told the story. Most people learned to tell him to hit the shot and walk and talk. He was still very slow but was a bit of a character so people tolerated it.

He was fine when it was suggested to let the group behind through. There are people like that at clubs and always will be. Golfers just need to find a way to deal with them. Many are not out to compete and are mainly out for the social aspect.

Slow play is one thing but I’d prefer to be out with the slow guy that someone kicking their bag or throwing clubs in a rage because they aren’t playing well. In the 30 years I’ve been playing I’ve seen all sorts on the course. You see it all on golf courses, from cheating to bust ups, club throwing, guys storming off the course half way through because they are playing bad, slow play, golfers with zero etiquette, beginners insisting on finishing the hole even after hitting their 10th shot.

It’s definitely a game where people need to have more patience with each other.

Nothing worse than a ‘club thrower’ for sure.

However, the goon who tries to ‘talk the hole off you’ is not far behind (especially when your game is not going well) .

Just get outa me grill you gormless kernt.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Played Monday with a quick group 4 ball.

We were behind an other 4 ball...

Two ladies two gents.

3 hrs 50.... Not bad

Lady came to us after round and apologised for pace .. Not needed but it happened.

One gent had 100% responsibility..

Observered on practice green taking 30 plus second pause on all putts... 2/3 foot putts.

Took this to the course...

Observered ladies walking on ahead etc. Made no difference to the lads pace.

We would have been on 3.20....3.30 pace

In a 4 ball on Monday. Open singles Stableford. 5823 meters.

Two playing off 27, one off 13 and one off 7.

It took us two hours to cover 9 holes, four ball behind us were flying, waiting on tee on the 6th, waiting on fairway on 7th, hit down on us on the 9th.

Three ball behind catching them. What do you do there? Didn't feel we were slow. If we wait and leave the 4 ball through the three ball also catches us, if we leave them through we dont finish the round.

Total time for us was 4 hours 20 and losing light fast.

We're playing 3 balls on Sundays in our club and generally speaking if you're in any way slow you wouldn't want to be sensitive. There'll be grumblings and complaints after and some people would simply tell you in no uncertain terms there and then on the course. I've witnessed words being had myself. And this is known. We have a couple of culprit groups like I imagine every club does and they know too. Sometimes they fall a bit behind but you know just looking at them - they know - and they make an effort.

Consequently pace is maybe not brisk but defy no faffing around. And when we have a nice round, no waiting for anyone, no one waiting for us, all just running smoothly, people saying after the round that was a nice good pace, its about 3:20. Thats for a three-ball stableford.

Unless you're playing on a very short course I don't think 3:20 for a four ball is achievable or even desirable.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,569 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Its not just elderly people who are slow. I was drawn with 2 young lads (20's) last week and I had to ask them to not take so many practice swings (7 for one) and to walk quicker between shots as we were losing ground on the people ahead. Might as well be talking to the wall. They seemed to slow even more. I apologised to the people behind and made a mental note to avoid these two and try to play ahead of them in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

I had to call two young lads out recently. They were playing in a two ball with our group of 4 soon catching up and waiting on shots constantly. Play was being held up in the groups behind us. Ability or handicaps weren't the issue. After every shot, they would pull out their phones, aimlessly scroll and casually dander to the next shot and repeat. When challenged about it, they just gave a thousand yard stare and were oblivious they were doing anything wrong. A few shots landing in close by got them moving and a complaint made against me that got rescinded when I outlined the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭blue note

This is the problem I don't see an answer to. 4 hours 20 is a bit on the long side, but not crazy. And you're dead right, once you call that fourball through and wait for them to go out of range that threeball will immediately be where the fourball were. And you've the exact same problem as before. The fourball you called through will be better off, but the threeball will have the additional wait of your stoppage. And on a busy day every group behind them in a queue will have that additional wait too.

And no-one ever seems to accept that higher handicap golfers will typically need longer to play a round. With all other things being equal, there will be the additional time of taking extra shots, looking for balls, walking left and right to your ball, over greens, etc. If a fourball of mid 20 handicappers had the same time management as a group of 10 handicappers, I wouldn't be surprised if it would take them an extra half an hour to play a round. In fact, I'd be surprised if it only took them an additional half hour.

What do people propose we do with these golfers? Say a group of friends decide they'd like to take up the game - do we say that's great but you're not allowed to play together. Or no looking for balls or you only get half the time to line up a putt more seasoned golfers get because you need to catch up?

To me there are several aspects to speeding up play. But focusing on player behaviour will speed up everyone. So it won't do all that much to help people being held up. To shorten the rounds, I think we need to look at forward tees, getting rid of hazards, shorter rough, slower greens, fewer raised greens. These are obviously broad suggestions and wouldn't always work, but by and large if we want to get back to the length of rounds we had 20 or 30 years ago, we probably need to go back to those courses. And possibly reduce how far people can hit the ball. I get into trouble far more often because I ran into it as opposed to didn't clear it.

I saw somewhere that a club had moved away from men's and womens tee boxes and are now using a handicap system.

>16 you tee off on the reds, 16-9 off the whites etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭blue note

I'd love to adjust people's perception of what's reasonable more than anything. People go around in 4 hours and 15 minutes on a Sunday morning in a fourball and they're giving out about how long it took. I know it's frustrating to be behind a slow group, especially if you can see them do stupid things. But moaning should be reserved for rounds of over 4 and a half hours in my opinion. I just don't want to listen to it unless it was actually really bad, not just should have been faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

Some people just love complaining. I don’t understand those that want to be around the course as fast as possible. Golf is a commitment and it takes time to play 18 holes as a 3 or 4 ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

One sure thing about slow players, they don't think they are slow and will ague why they are not!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

A guy in my club, would spend most of the time in the bushes looking for other peoples balls.

Nobody would play with him.

George Mitchell was his name, now RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

I gave up getting bothered about slow play. If I need to get around in a certain time then I book first thing in the morning. Home course is a nine hole so its a lottery as to how long the back nine can take. its every second Tee (1st then 10th and so on if there is a queue on the Tee.

The ladies group however have the luxury of being allowed to book their back nine tee time aswell as their starting tee time. But they are very social and like to finish together-ish and have their Tea and sandwiches after the round.

In general if people walked quicker to their ball they could take as long as they want within reason over the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

IMO 4 hours 20 minutes should be considered acceptable for singles strokes off the medal tees.

4 hours for singles stableford off the 'normal' tees.

<4 hours for fourballs, rumbles, scrambles

3 minutes searching for a ball must be enforced within the group - it is a rule, not a guideline

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

No, I am sure he was not called George Michael.

This other guy used to wear wellington boots.

You could say theres some similarity ... they both get pulled off in bogs.

Advertisement