Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spring lamb prices

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

No incentive for natural Irish hard wood forestry either, good money for the first 20 years and f'all after that and hard woods will be nearly at least 2 generations before they are ready for harvesting. Hard to see where farming is going, their all about carbon farming now but until farmers can claim, trade and offset their credits that system will never work.

Watched a meeting on oireachtas TV regarding this yesterday and all in all it looks quite bleak regarding carbon farming. A lot of gibberish about the new acres and how in order to get the full acres payments the water table would have to be raised in the field to 1m of the topsoil, this would then ensure carbon storage wetland species of grass to grow where maximum points would be given out. Its looks like acres is a way for them to use farmers on poorish land to effectively re wet their land, store carbon and gets absolutely none of the reward for it (carbon offset or money) as they will be sold at an EU level by the government who actually don't own the carbon and have specifically said they don't own it. How can the sell it among EU member states if they don't own it?, makes 0 sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭Dickie10

or whats more realistic to happen in 20 years time when thousands of farm and farming families have finally given up the ghost and sold out or planted thier lands, or blocked drains and left it go wild to grow rushes and briars, nettles, thistles and the odd cow or two roaming 10 acres, the government and EU will hit the panic button when thier is a food scaricity issue over war or disease and the big push will reverese then and the government will be all about rampping up food production. it may be nearer to 10 years than 20 when this happens.

Yeah it really begars belief what those bureaucrats in the EU think. Have they not learned their lesson from gift Russia a BRICS nation our energy security. Now they want to gift Brazil another BRICS nation our food security. Crazy stuff, they are really away with the fairies.

I think the future of farming realistically here has to go somewhat carbon neutral, but in order to get there we have to be allowed offset our co2 that we are actively storing. The sad things is they will probally never allow that in our industry, yet the biggest polluting industries and companies can easily offset and claim they are carbon neutral. The EU has their very own Emmisions trading scheme (ETS) design in such away that allows those companies do that yet the farmers are always on the hind tit and locked out.

Fun fact the EPA runs the ETS for Ireland not the government, its what they have gotten way too much power for non elected officials of an NGO.

Tbh most of them farms you do be on about of substantial size likely to come up to let long term,will be snapped up dairy farmers as 2nd/3rd units and be run near entirely by immigrant labour on fcuk all wages......there's no risk of em ever going wild again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭eire23

€7 meant to be on go in Kildare. We're 6.80 at the start of the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Young95

About time !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Robson99

What weights are they paying to now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭daviddenis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

What price are cull ewes at moment?

• Advertisement

Any quotes got for Monday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭White Clover

No, all gone with a while. Seems a bit of positivity in the market. What have you been quoted? Are they at 7 now?

Wasn’t quoted anything.. have a good few to go in the next two weeks so just waiting to pull the trigger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Box09

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Tileman

Was told tonight they were only 6.80 to 22. I queried we’re they not closer to 7€ and agent said not yet but fleshy lambs were in very short supply and they will go up a bit between now and Xmas

6.70 plus 10 any one get anything else for tomorrow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Box09

6.80 last week in icm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Tileman

Got 6.80 to 22 Kildare incl Qa last week

Supposed to be € 7 in Athleague last week.....but im sure a lot of T&Cs applied to get that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭razor8

Got 6.80 to 22.5 ICM last Wednesday

think there back abit today . But it’s a terrible price for them compare to last year .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Dropping in a load tonight for a neighbour at that same deal so ?

Any quotes for this week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭buffalobilly

€6.65 icm yesterday back 5c from last week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭arctictree

Must be a pick up in prices, we got €100 for 37.5kg lambs earlier. Got the same price last week for 41kg lambs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭daviddenis

Any update on price of lambs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i got 6.75 in navan last wednesdy, went with 25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭eire23

Lamb Is taking a fair kicking at the moment, seen a post on Facebook of kepak quoting 6. Ya would think(hope) they can't drop much more.

Their acting the full bollox altogether, you just have to look at the French prices to see how much we are getting shafted.

Did I hear rumblings of live exports of lambs from Rosslare to France going on?

Terrible prices but I don't see it getting any better any time soon especially with the hogget carryover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭kk.man

I'm afraid the sheep sector is in serious trouble whoever is to blame it doesn't matter because all sheep systems are below the cost of production. The amount who have exited the sector in recent years hasn't been captured by stats. A great many were good lowland intensive farmers have exited. In my time i have known many farmers who loved all things sheep, I feel for those who are left too witness the decline. Sheep require a lot of work thus farmers need to be paid for their labour. The EU and Government have to answer too, a very poor sub on the ewe, no Teagasc enthusiasm to mention but a few. Another factor is when the UK left the EU, one would have thought it would have been difficult for them to get lamb into France, it has turned out no so. So there maybe advantages of leaving the EU after all. Inflation and standards of living sprung to mind. In 1991 I was getting almost 40 pounds for the finished product today about 140e is the finished price. Financially I was way better off in 1991.

No matter what has transpired over the last twenty odd years Sheep as a farming enterprise is in serious decline and the rot has taken hold. I would say the next couple of years will bring home even more stark honest statistics.

Post edited by kk.man on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

6.20 ish looks like price for Monday.Thats QA inc.

Might be a bit more going but no appetite for lambs at the minute by processors.The seem to be quiet content with the amount available.

Went last Friday at 6.40 inc. as they were heading into getting heavy plus after eating enough expensive meal.Thought it was poor enough but kinda "happy" now looking at whats on offer for next week.

Came into 145.28 all paid which sounds nice until you look at meal price .They were ewe lambs on ad lib since middle of December.Remaining lambs (about 60 ) all in that group are c.43kgs back to c.35 kgs but fleshy enough.Hard to know if worth finishing or just go at this stage.Might be a blip or might be a trend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭drive it

Was talking to a lad today he said his group had 6.20 +10 for navan 6.40 +10 for kildare, recons atleast another 10c gone next week at the minimum

this is a welcome first for a breeder organisation, more is required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭razor8

to my knowledge the glut of New Zealand lamb into Europe is due to a complete breakdown in trade relations between New Zealand/Australia and China over a 5G contract and security issues

it should mean there is a deficit of lamb going into China that maybe Ireland could pick up but id imagine the cost of exporting to there is the issue

https://vino-joy.com/2022/08/15/breaking-china-to-suspend-all-imports-from-australia-new-zealand/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

650 available for Monday.. up 20c from Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭memorystick

I''ve 50kg + well fleshed hoggets. Chx type. Lovely looking stock. How much should I ask the butcher for? He buys off me every year.

I haven’t sold anything in a few months but 150 upwards I’d be hoping for. What had you in mind yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

what are prices like this week?

also, out of interest are there many sheep in the factories when lads are dropping off?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭drive it

Local group

6.00 +10 NAVAN

6.30 +10 KILDARE

was told they tried to pull the price again this week but price was held from last week

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Anyone on here see ear to the ground tonight? Man from the farmers journal said 1 in 6 lambs processed in Ireland last year came from either northern Ireland or mainland UK..seems a lot and if accurate can't be good for Irish farmers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I was at a presentation of Darren Carthys last night and he sees very little to improve trade for at least six months, there's a surplus of last years lambs still around that will upset trade for the first six months of the year, there's still a lot of 25 - 30kg hill lambs that haven't been bought by feeders that won't be fit until may june. Consumption is reducing across Europe since Covid as well.

He also told us about a new Dairy farm that was offering 600/acre for ten years

Scanning man said scan rates not hectic and good few older farmers didn’t let out any rams while others won’t lamb til April. Could they be tight enough numbers late summer into September?

I thought that myself too, It could be a good year to keep lambs thriving to be selling july - september.

We've a good scan here, 1.5 in the ewe lambs and 1.9 in the adults, grass ran out here at mid mating and we fed .5kg cobs for the last 2 -3 weeks of mating

For interest, how many standard sized cobs would make a kg?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Alot of lad doing the same or getting out completely,..won't be many sheep in Ireland in the next 5-10 years.

There was rumblings of lambs going out of rosslare to France, you would think there would be alot more considering therefore 2 euro a kg in the difference nearly 40 euro a head.

• Advertisement
Advertisement