Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Solar PV battery options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

Thanks Chris!

Jaysus, there's no way I'd of tackled this build without the boardsie support :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭championc

There's a 10kWh DIY battery thread - which would be what the busbars above relate to, and in particular, the PWOD CALB cells

Yeah, I've been following it too but haven't really posted much.

I found the same busbars on the PWOD store for 25 dollars for 4. Its gonna cost over 100 euro for the extra 16 needed. Is that about the right price?

I'm going 16s2p.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,702 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Seems very expensive, link for them?

If you have previous business with PWOD (ordering $$$ worth of batteries), they will throw in the odd set of extra busbars. I've never paid for any extra ones, have some more free ones in the post now, or so I am told. And remember every €100 you spend more than you strictly need, will make your pay back period substantially longer. As does having to wait for parts before you can deploy your batteries. Same goes for battery enclosures / cases, additional BMS that you don't strictly need, fancy contactors and fuse setups, battery monitoring systems, etc.

As for busbars, I'd rather take a piece of copper tubing, hammer it flat and drill holes in it and insulate it with cheap electrical tape, instead of spending big money in AliExpress on busbars and having to wait months to get them.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭randombar

How many people have the batteries on their side vertical?

Looking at doing 16s2p going up a wall would save some amount if space.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭con747

If each cell has it's own support I don't see why not apart from bus bar distances, otherwise if just stacked on top of each other there would be a lot of weight on the bottom cell.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭randombar

Was hoping to avoid having it's own support as I'd have to build something serious for that.

Thinking 4 stacks of 8 https://capture.dropbox.com/ZsCTXMOgtjeOV3zz

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭con747

It's something others here with more experience with DIY builds should be able to advise if that would be ok.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Ballylad

Hi Anyone got a Fronius gen 24 inverter and BYD Battery set up?, looking for info on charging battery at night. Thnks

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭woppers

Hi, can you provide a link for the Dyness 5.1kWh please? I have one already and so would like to add a second one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭digiman

Anyone got any thoughts on this? Is there any problems going with adding a 10kW to my existing 5kW?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Is it 15S or 16S? I have 4 5kWh 48v dyness batteries but they are 15S not 16S, meaning I am limited to paralleling with other 15S units.

Adding 10kWh to an existing 5kWh would be fine as long as the batteries are the same - not necessarily the same brand but the same voltage and the same setup.

Different battery pack manufacturers can have proprietary BMS's, which really need to talk to one another ant to the Inverter over CANBUS. So while voltages might match, there could be an issue regarding overall communication, if the wanted all packs to act as one pack

• Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

True.

If you go with one brand - say Dyness - 16S 48v nominal and then add in some no name server rack battery that is also 16S 48v, that would work with comms over can, right?

Alternatively you could go a road well traveled on this forum, sell the Dyness and buy calb cells!

If you have a Dyness and Server rack, there is nobody anywhere who will tell you if they will communicate together. Banks can be paralleled, but it's almost certain that only the master would communicate with the Inverter, and connecting a CAN between modules could actually shut down the modules

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭digiman

So what I’ve got now is a

Battery Lithium 5.1kWh Dyness BX51100 48V

This website has one for €1800, has anyone bought from here before? Any other places people would recommend buying from?

https://www.wccsolar.net/product-page/bater%C3%ADa-litio-5-1kwh-dyness-bx51100-48v?lang=en

• Registered Users Posts: 64,702 ✭✭✭✭unkel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭johndoe11

I've got the same, was looking at that website as well, not sure about them looking at the reviews, most of the positives seem to be fake. Sent them an email, 178 euro shipping.

Those batteries are very hard to source. Got a quote of 2200 ex vat from irish supplier. I might be selling one in a month or two, no way it is a good investment at those prices. Will probably go down the China route.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Perhaps counter to the spirit of this thread (I wasn't sure if it warranted a new thread, though).

Scenario: The largest roof in my home is 100% North facing, the south-facing roof can fit maybe 3-ish panels. So, a lot of installers are not recommending (or not interested in) installing solar on the house.

Question: As an alternative, are there options to install a battery system that can be used to charge during the night (using cheaper rate, and normally powered by renewables) and power the house as much as possible during the day (to avoid expensive day rate) - without solar installed?

Additional info: I already have a Zappi + Harvi installed for EV charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭micks_address

yep you can totally go with a ac coupled inverter and battery or hybrid inverter with battery if you think you might be able to add some solar at some point.. very good case for filling a battery at night with cheaper electricity and using during the day to cover the house load without importing from the grid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭DC999

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Thanks so much, I've been following (stalking?) Manion's progress with great interest. I guess, as many installers are not keen I was looking for Plan C, D or E 🙂

Mick, If I was to look towards such a solution are there recommendations for the same? I reckon that I use about 10-13kWh per day (excluding car charging)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭micks_address

i have a givenergy setup but other solutions would also work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭DC999

Do you have any other S roof, like a flat roof (I've 5 panels on one), or a shed? Then the small S roof isn't some much of an issue

3 panels on a string on it's own will cause issues. Voltage is too low for the string to wake up so output is much lower (wakes later and goes to sleep earlier). I got caught on that. That's all one roof fits

• Registered Users Posts: 24 big_red

Loving this thread and learning a lot (while hastening to add I am very much at the beginning of my technical learning journey!)

I'll try be as clear as I can and appreciate any advice please.

We have a large rural house and use a lot of electricity (c.15,000kwh p.a.).. house is A2 a runs off GSHP. In winter months we average 1000kwh day and 750kwh night per month. This drops by around 50% during the summer months.

We are on day / night EV (albeit don't have one yet!) rate with Engergia - 48.7c day and 14.2c night.

I want to work toward getting as close to off-grid as possible and also future proof for 1 -2 EVs. In my mind I am thinking of approaching it in phases and have outlined some questions below

Yr 1 - Put in a large DIY battery e.g. 40kwh to charge overnight and run the house during the day to bank the price spread - this alone would save me about €3-4k p.a.

• Consensus seems to be to go for LifePro 200Ah 3.2v from PWOD? Am I right to think I'd think need 4 x 16pcs of these?
    • 1 x 6kw hybrid invertor? 7 hours to charge battery pack from zero? Any recommendations on model?
    • 1 x BMS? Again any recommendations on model?
    • Anything else I need? I would like a good app based user interface.

In terms of hooking it up. Do I (read as my electrician!) need to put a new cable from the invertor to the customer unit - this could be tricky as oddly my CU is in a store room in the middle of the house and I don't want to have to open up walls or ceilings if at all avoidable. Or could I connect back to the CU on the back of some existing wiring?

Yr 2 - add lots of solar (e.g. 16kwh made up of 25 x ground mounted QCell 585) to power house and charge batteries / EV's. At this point I'd stop / minimise charging the batteries from grid. I'd add another 6 kwh hybrid invertor (12kwh total) at this time - 8kwh solar going to each one. I'd also like to avail of a FIT - I think this is 6kwh max so 1 of the invertors could just be set not to export?

Yr 3 - add a small e.g. 2kwh wind turbine into the mix for the winter months when solar output is low. We have great wind where we are!

Please pull this apart!.. am I crazy or half on the right path?

Post edited by big_red on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Hey Big_red - howdy and welcome.

So, no.....not crazy at all. I would however reverse the order of Yr1 and Yr2 and the reason being is that you'll get a lot of stuff done "for free" in the solar installation which you can then use for the battery installation.

280aH batteries seem to be the weapon of choice. I'm looking at this playing field myself. There's 304aH out now too. Ballpark (ballpark!) €2000 for 16x cells here. Some have seen them as cheap as €1400-1500, via china and some (which I'm likely to go for myself) via Netherlands for €2400 ... again for 16x.

So if you are looking at 16x4 you'd be talking €8000 for the cells, then there's the BMS, active balancer , wiring, inverter (ME3000) etc and you'll be the guts of €10K. But at that you'd have a kick ass system of 50-60Kwh storage - which is great, but it only allows you to get some cheap power from night during day. Bear in mind there are some "gotchas" in this space now and forthcoming. For example some of the tariffs out there only allow 3 hrs "cheap night" rate tariff, so it's hard to squash 30-40Kwhr into a battery at night. D/N makes it easier, but we don't know where we'll be in 2-3 years yet with DN and the introduction of smart meters.

I think I'd rather spend the €10K and get "free" power from sun rather than cheap night rate. Get the solar in and they'll (the sparks) kit out your inverter to CU which means when you come along for the DIY battery, you have the correct guage and path in place.....assuming you have space for 4x big ass batteries.

Turbine - theres a few here doing that. one whos' got a very good results, but I'd park that, it's great - but you want to see where your at with the solar/battery first.

interesting project though.

I would however, really (no REALLY!) look at your consumption. 15,000 Kwh doesn't seem right, I'd say there's a LOT you can do there to get that down by looking at what/what/when is the consumer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 big_red

thanks so much for the reply bullet_dodger. Would you have link to those battery options pls? Did I see others managing to source from China / Aliexpress without getting hit with the VAT and duty?

I do see the logic in going with solar first.. I think I just felt the battery would be a more immediate win but will keep thinking it over.

House is 500sqm and heated to 23degrees 24/7.. so not too inefficient in context I think?

Post edited by big_red on

Advertisement