Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When did coke become socially acceptable?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭slither12

Can I ask if you've been personally affected by drugs?

I commend your attitude since a lot of people would consider it a moral failing. There's also a perception among people that only the homeless are drug addicts but they ignore the numerous middle to upper class people that partake in recreational substances.

Careful now if you smoke hash and weed at the same time you will die.

that’s a fact. Don’t even google it just trust me!

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

Drugs should be legalized. If people choose to take any drug its a personal choice. It can still be taboo and banned from been used in public or the workplace.

IWe the tax payer are paying for everything surrounding drugs ie court cases, prisons, legal fees, rehabilitation ect, while the dealer's make the profit. Change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭briany

That'd work if the drugs could be bought from anonymous dispensaries for a competitive price vs. the street and no major hoops to jump through. If you put a load of tax on the drugs (ostensibly to offset the cost to public health infrastructure) and subject them to rigorous questioning every time they come in to re up, you'll eventually push addicts back into black market alternatives.

No one is addicted to ibuprofen. Nurofen Plus... Maybe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Chasing the Scream is a brilliant book about the war on drugs, what the world was like before it and some of the impact it has had on western society. Certainly changed my thinking about the whole thing.

People are going to do drugs regardless of them being legal or illegal. Let us legalise it, at least then we can put some quality control around the substances. Stop people getting into drug debt to the s€u m of the earth, children being used as couriers, afraid to go to hospital or tell the truth to doctors when they need help and ease all the other harms too.

Cui bono?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,742 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Back in the 80's, Geoffrey Robertson presented a stunningly good series of programs for Australia's ABC, called 'Hypotheticals'. One of the best of them was on drugs. One of the panel members was a professor of Pharmacology, who when asked if weed could kill you, answered 'yes, only if a 2 tonne bail of it fell on your head' or words to that effect.

There was even a good question relating to doctors and alcohol. Again the question was put to a Professor of surgery, I think it was, or something like that: he was asked something like; 'if you needed emergency open heart surgery, and there were only two surgeons available; one an alcoholic, who was sober, but wanting a drink, and the other, a heroin addict who was actually high at the time, which would you choose to operate on you?'

Without the slightest doubt or hesitation, the professor chose the high, heroin addict over the sober alcoholic, and then gave a detailed explanation as to why.

Probably the most eye opening TV program I have ever watched.

Alcohol is probably the worst of all the drugs consumed, so the OP asking about the 'social acceptability' of coke, a far less pharmacologically dangerous and socieatally damaging drug, being used in venues designed for the consumption of alcohol, is near hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Dslatt

Heaps of people are addictive to Nurofen Plus, codine is great. You can get addicted to ibuprofen though, if you have any sort of inflammation issues for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

You can buy 100,000+ tablets in one purchase over there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

It states here;

'Even 'simple' painkillers like paracetamol, or anti-inflammatory tablets like ibuprofen or naproxen, can become addictive if you take them at least three times a week for three months at a time.'

Should you worry about painkiller addiction? | Patient

You can become dependant on their effects and lack of pain, requiring increasing doses but they are considered non psychologically or physically addictive.

There is no ibuprofen addiction epidemic, in Ireland. Overuse, lack of understanding of overuse, over dependency on their functions to relieve pain? Yes

There is danger with ibuprofen and codeine combo drugs

Sorry but I'll take the opinion of the peer-reviewed doctor. Thanks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭slither12

Nurofen Plus is shite though for someone dependent or addicted because they have to take higher and higher doses to maintain the same high and at the same time, the ibuprofen is **** their stomach and kidneys in the process.

I switched to Codinex when I first heard of it. Same active ingredient but none of the paracetamol or ibuprofen that other otc codeine brands have.

Some will but stats out of the US and Canada don’t signal that to be the case anyway. There are definitely people who buy from their dealers because it’s cheaper but in America the quality of street weed is nearly as good as dispensaries because usually the “black market” guys are just getting what the dispensary is. “Oh dear a few pounds of weed fell off the lorry, how did that happen..” kinda thing.

kinda like fags tbh. Counterfeit ones are crap and I won’t smoke them despite being half the cost of buying in the shop. A superior product is worth the extra money and as I said the convenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

There seems to be some push back against how legalization went in California.

I’m sure if it were legal there would be regulations etc. that some people may find prohibitive and would prefer to stay outside the law, and definitely totally organic with nothing dodgy going on.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2022-09-22/california-legal-pot-measure-has-not-met-expectations

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Tomaldo

Do you really think it's practical to give them a custodial sentence. The Irish prison capacity is about 4,500 and did u post a HRB link before which estimated that 72,000 people in Ireland took it in the last 12 months at a cost of of about 80k per prisoner, come on! You say were a victim of crime, surely that should be the priority of the Gardai and courts where there's a non-consenting victim involved, not stopping people enjoying themselves. I also think it's a bit rich to expect publicans to prevent it, 'cos the drug they profit from kills and does more damage than coke.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭briany

I wasn't really talking about weed when I said that as weed isn't really addictive and there is little to no stigma around its use anymore. The amount of it you'd smell around towns and cities these days, it's like it's de facto legal for personal use.

I was thinking more of your class A drugs. They're highly addictive and carry significant risks regarding overdose. They carry significant stigma around their use, and people may therefore wish to hide their habit or simply not be nagged about quitting. These things may not matter if the dispensaries were to hand out a good product at a competitive price with few questions asked, but that would probably never happen. The legality of such places would be a huge political football.

• Advertisement

Ah to be fair if you didn’t want people to know you were on these drugs would u really be wanting to go into the place that sells it so blatantly.

i guess what you’re after is a discreet service within say a pharmacy. You could discuss it with the pharmacist in the consultation room so it’s private that way.

There’s just always a risk you’re exposing yourself by using a standalone dispensary. Kinda like saying you’re not on the drink but going into the off-licence. Could easily run into or walk out into someone you knew!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

When did coke become socially acceptable?

It never did. Cocaine is powdered arsehole and you always know when someone is on it. They usually turn into someone you don't want to be around.

In about the last 10-12 years it has become extremely commonplace, with very regular usage, among people across all walks of life. It HAS become a lot more socially acceptable.

Before that, it was a special occasion thing (among my friends that's what it still is - you're talking once every few years) and before that, it was for people who had a lot of money.

I wonder what the outcome will be from all this excessive cocaine consumption - not good I'd say, considering it's happening alongside excessive alcohol consumption.

Abuse of any substance is dangerous, but while you'll most likely be ok when just recreational using the odd time, fook knows what's going into the illegal stuff.

Decriminalisation seems like a good idea in theory, but will it help bring down consumption? Hardly. Look at alcohol. But being illegal is a disaster too.

Decriminalisation isn’t about reducing consumption it’s about not wasting resources on chasing after people who don’t need to be chased after because it’s a fools errand.

The resources for both the Gardai and Courts that are spent on drug users who are not causing anyone any harm is ludicrous. Cos if someone’s addicted to a serious substance like cocaine locking them up or fining them won’t help.

If we think that’s the approach to take with addicts then I suppose if someone wants to quit drink or fags a custodial sentence is what they need?

the other much more serious problem imo is that criminalising the substances turns people off seeking help when they need it. It’s not an exaggeration to say the majority of drug users if they take too much or end up needing medical help for one reason or the other on account of taking the substance will either flat out refuse or lie to the doctors because they’re just too afraid of getting in trouble.

so what you have then are people dying or just not getting the help they need because they’re made to feel like scummy criminals for just doing something that doesn’t harm anyone else. Just because the government said you’re not allowed.

it’s been well documented and reported for years now that the war on drugs is an outright failure and has done nothing but line the pockets of gangsters. You want to stop the black market drug trade? Decriminalise the use of “dangerous” substance (coke, herion) Legislate where safe to do so (cannabis, magic mushrooms) and stop wasting resources on fighting a fight you can’t win.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭It is a Dunne Deal

Around about the time of tragic katie french.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,424 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Or they just take Adderal for work or for college or for their NFL team or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

I have a damaged septum caused by trauma 10 years ago and the first thing the ENT asked me was if I had ever used cocaine. I've never used drugs and found the question quite odd. It would be like automatically assuming someone with liver damage was an alcoholic.

When I have attended ENT appointments I often have seen the nurses gossiping when they read my notes as they must think I'm a cocaine user. I even heard one of the nurses asking the ENT "what causes that problem" and the doctor said "it can happen after surgery or drug use". I don't know why they felt it was suitable to be discussing my case in a public corridor. Yet people wonder why the NHS have such a bad reputation.

This is why I never tell anyone about my nose problems as they assume you are a cocaine user which is infuriating.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

People don`t realise but they are actually snorting cancer, the stuff was made with cement and petrol in some jungle in SA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,825 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I was a victim of an unprovoked assault, occasion one of the perpetrators was on drugs.

they give people custodial sentences here for far more minor offences then possessing and using Class A substances.

if you went topping up your glass with a naggin in your inside pocket publicans would be proactive enough to prevent that. So I don’t really see an issue with being proactive when it comes to people consuming class A drugs on their premises and breaking the law.

not every person would be jailed… first offence and all. Actually probably take a few convictions… if you don’t learn initially, that’s on you.

Advertisement