Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

When did coke become socially acceptable?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,735 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

but it was the drink that did you in because booze disables your ability to make rational decisions like taking a taxi instead of driving and impairs your stability and senses so you're way more likely to crash and kill someone. Maybe go and take one of these pressed acid pills laced with fentanyl (LOL) that you were speaking of, might chill you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

For example a fella goes out on a Saturday night and has 10 pints ..to get a bit out of it...around 60 euros. Would 60 euros of coke do the average coke head the night? Is one louder and more obnoxious on coke than booze? Cause...I find it hard enough to be in a drunken pub...

• Mate if you think no one’s lacing drugs with dangerous substances then you’re a clown tbh.

So you never got sick from them, good for you, I watched my partner nearly die from drinking THC lean that was made with some bullshit chemical version of thc from China. “Spice” they call it. Google that if you’re not familiar, then come talk to me about how all drugs are so safe. Did you ever encounter those THC vapes going around the last few years? Every. Single. One. Was made of spice. Don’t talk to me about not understanding the negative impacts of unregulated substances.

The FSAI is a fantastic authority in this country for making sure food and drinks sold to the public are safe. We have nothing of the sort for recreational drugs. We trust criminals to make sure they’re safe. The criminals that only give a fcuk about the money we give them.

give your head a shake if you think no one’s getting sick or dying in this country and every other country from tainted drugs. Most won’t report what happened because they’re afraid of being arrested.

I’ve actually had that conversation with hospital staff, they have on numoerus occasions begged patients to admit what they took but they’re too afraid because of our laws and general POV on drugs in this country.

You can live in your denial tree all day long but you are as much of the problem as the people who are against drugs making up lies. If no one can be honest we can’t have a proper conversation about them.

Are drugs bad? No.

Are the people who sell drugs bad? Sometimes.

Should they be regulated and sold openly and safely to reduce the risk of illness or death to recreational users? They absolutely should.

There’s plenty of documented evidence this exact thing is happening day on day. Not being aware of it is not the equivalent to it not happening.

i was talking about cocaine and pills which are taken by the truckload in ireland every weekend, taken by 10s of 1000s in one place during the summer at irish music festivals, you're going on about fake thc from china and spice. have a good evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭slither12

It's interesting that I know many American friends who look down on illegal pills/drugs (except cannabis) yet snort adderall and oxycodone when they're out partying.

To be fair, it's probably safer. Obviously still very addictive but they at least there's quality control that you don't get with cocaine in a pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,675 ✭✭✭buried

I don't think its anything to do with "safe", its all about optics and how people look while being off the head on narcotics. People on stuff like cocaine will look to the untrained eye various levels from 'sober' to 'lively'. If you are on something like a couple of MDMA pills, you are going to look like something out of a Hieronymus Bosch painting. Not a good look for the modern everyday person so concerned with the visual optics for everything and everybody.

The irony is, you are going to be far safer around the person ingesting MDMA than the person ingesting cocaine and copious amounts of booze, but because the cocaine user looks half sober or lively, they are to be tolerated.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Lot of people here seem to glorify taking drugs!

Three things i came across in the past year all relating to Cocaine .

1. Neighbours son headbutted his mother breaking about 8 of her teeth because she wouldnt give him more money for cocaine last Christmas Eve
    2. Bloke in his 50s died after getting a brain aneryism after taking cocaine .
    3. Young bloke the other side of town hung himself last year because he ran up a drug debt with traveller drug gang he couldnt pay

• Registered Users Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

It's rather additive tho and I'm glad I never really liked it much.

I've seen lads almost ruin themselves financially over it. I don't know what it costs these days but I remember in the nineties it was easily €100 for 1g if it was any good. And those lads would go through 2 or 3 each day towards the end of their 'career' - before all their maxed out cards and overdrafts came crashing down on them and game was over. It can be nasty like that some people seem to lose control over it easily enough.

yep true, there aren't really any drugs with no drawbacks and there'll always be some who can't use them in moderation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I didn't realise it was that popular in Ireland. I've never seen or heard of anyone use it here. I was offered a chance to snort it off a hookers back in Prague once but that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

That's exactly my position and what I tell my kids. We all know the dangers of alcohol but when a bottle of whiskey says 40 % on the label you can be fairly sure it is accurate.

With drugs you are putting blind faith in the dealers supplying the drugs, and a long line of criminals before that.

You don't know the purity, other ingredients.

There is also the moral side of funding gangsters. I just could not do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Garda accused of taking cocaine in nightclub has been suspended on full pay for FIVE years - SundayWorld.com

Might be a few more garda taking charlie if they can get suspended on full pay for five years.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

On the plus side, at least there was snow for your visit to Santa

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭iniscealtra

Depends on your social circle. My friends drink. None of my friends smoke anything. Some of OH friends smoke weed. An old friend from school smokes weed and doesn’t drink. Not acceptable in our social circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Only stupid people think there is such a thing as recreational drugs. There is not. Any one of them drugs be it Coke,Meth or hash could be the end of you no matter how safe you think it is or how much research you have done.

Drugs are only meant to be used by doctors to make someone better.

I have no sympathy for anyone who dies from taking drugs unless they were spiked.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,804 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It became socially acceptable when the Gardai and the judiciary along with their mates the publicans, decided that it wasn’t all that much of a problem.

its well understood by those tasked with overseeing & enforcing the law that many if not most locals and nightclubs at the weekend have clientele who take cocaine there..

google ‘cocaine probation act’…. Multiple multiple reports over the years of people who were arrested in possession of significant amounts, however… just given the probation act.. caught with a class A drugs and… not even a slap on the wrist…. The probation act…

that’s one of the reasons why people have become totally disillusioned with the criminal justice system…

also….If pubs are not screening and deterring it’s use, they are encouraging and facilitating it…. But of course no impact as businesses are sacrosanct….

many very good people in the Gardai, but as an organisation these days from my own personal perspective and experiences as a victim of crime they are pretty goddamn useless….

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,354 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

.…

• Registered Users Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Remember Katy French? And more recently Jamal Edwards in the UK. I think it's pretty rough on the heart so deaths might not be directly linked to coke use at the time of death, but after long term use your heart could be in a pretty bad state and lead to sudden death later in life. Isn't this what happened to Gerry Ryan?

Coke use was pretty open and acceptable back in the Celtic tiger boom years, so I don't think it's anything new. Never tried it myself but I was told back then that it was shite compared to the stuff you'd get over in the states.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Nancy Reagan over here. How could hash or weed be the end of you? should only doctors be using alcohol?

This topic comes up every now and then. Coke has been rampant for decades, became openly used during the early Celtic Tiger.

I was security for a fairly trouble free and easy going club in Cork. Coke was everywhere.

The biggest culprits were women because of the lack of female bouncers. We (guys) had to announce entry to female toilets giving plenty of time to hide evidence.

The way we caught them was they were so brazen that they would still have it on their drinks straw walking out of the toilets

• Registered Users Posts: 20,519 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

No question your correct ,

Just for correctness sake Katy French had a brain injury form mixing it with ephedrine, but still it was a cause of death ,

People who believe its harmless are just lying ,

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭slither12

It's interesting how people can be so opinionated on something they have little knowledge of.

'Drugs' is a term that refers to a variety of substances. They all have different effects on the brain/body and different levels of addictiveness. Cannabis though probably not good for those with mental disorders does not lead to physical withdrawals like opioids, benzos, or even alcohol.

There's a good professor in the States called Dr. Carl Hart who talks about using heroin, a very stigmatized drug, responsibly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

You sure you're not getting it mixed up with Raisins ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

I'd have every sympathy for someone passing away from drugs, no matter what the drug. There's people out there addicted to Ibuprofen. Lots of great people dying from drugs, from drink to heroin. Addiction is a complex disease of the brain and body. Can just be a one off allergic reaction too.

Advertisement