Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DualSense Edge™ wireless controller

Options
  • 25-10-2022 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Apparently today is pre-order day for the DualSense Edge™ wireless controller.

I cannot order it here - seems to be UK orders only.

Anyone know where I can pre-order here in Ireland?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭blaa85

Not available here yet. Below is some info from IGN. When it advises participating retailers, I'm sure that means Gamestop will have them on Feb 23rd.

Preorders for the DualSense Edge Controller will be exclusively available from PlayStation Direct in the US, UK, France, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, and Luxembourg. Moreover, it will only begin to be offered at other participating retailers starting February 23, 2023, as well. The likes of Amazon, Best Buy, Target, Walmart, and more won't be seeing the controller listed for several more months. So if you want to buy one, it'll likely have to be directly from Sony for the time being.

https://www.ign.com/articles/dualsense-edge-preorder-info-price-release-date-and-more

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

OK- Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Gamestop have had them up since this morning FWIW. No direct Sony sales in the Irish market.

Edit - link added

https://www.gamestop.ie/Other%20Products/Games/80035/dualsense-edge-wireless-controller

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,198 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

240 quid?! You’re more than halfway towards a Steam Deck at that price 😮

Aye.....Sony certainly pushing it out there. Probably still be in short supply. Then they'll pop out a midnight black one etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Thankfully I've a few months of pondering. It is a crazy amount of money for a controller, so I'm happy to wait a while. Hopefully GS do some trade in deal and with the Epic I might make it a more appealing price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Anyone know if you can pre-order online with Gamestop and then use a voucher when paying? I want one of these but wouldn't pay that price in a million years, but I expect I am getting a one 4 all voucher at christmas which I wouldn't mind using on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,900 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'd pop into the shop and put €10-20 down. Then just use the One4All when collecting?

TBH I think the PSVR2 announcement has put the kibosh on the dualsense edge

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

If people are buying this for the paddles, I bought the below last year and find it great. I can pop up pictures etc if anyone is interested.

A bit finicky with some of the ribbon cables, but worked in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,924 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

just got email from Gamestop, you can trade in a dual sense controller and get it for €199

So giving you €40 for your normal controller?

CEX give you €40-€48 for all the Dualsense that aren't white so might be better selling directly.

Seems to be getting great reviews all around. I've no issues with the slightly less battery life, because imo the size, weight and feel of the standard DualSense is perfect, so not having to readjust will be great. Plus, I play 4 feet from my tv so cables aren't an issue. I'm looking forward to mine!

Had a go with it earlier this morning. More or less align with what some of the reviews are saying, with some initial caveats although it's early days.

Initial impressions are decent to good. Love the case. Feels very premium. A nice storage area though a small downside is the large open area at the back when charging with the flap down. Minor issue though. Everything nice, solid and secure. I'd certainly give it the edge over the Elite's effort in feel though the charging in case with the Xbox pad gives is a point in its favour.

Pad itself seems a definite upgrade over the Dualsense in feel and weight, but I'll admit, it lacks the premium feel of the Elite controller, with a somewhat cheap looking face plate (hopefully replaceable) which is at odds with the price level. Granted its the price to pay for having the ability to switch stick modules etc, but it definitely feels cheaper in the hand, for lack of a better term. Sticks themselves are standard enough, and disappointing level of plastic feel to both the equipped caps and the add-on ones. Shame to see where Sony have clearly decided to 'just get by'.

Don't have an issue with the lack of buttons in comparison to some out there. TBH it's not something that I've really come across to on any of the console efforts. The Steam Deck has this functionality sorted and is much better implemented in that it feels intuitive. But, they are there for any who do get along with them. Battery life obviously remains to be seen, but I've never had cause to complain with the Dualsense, and frankly, a lot of my gaming is limited nowadays so there's always time to have these things charged. In fact, today was the first time I've had the PS5 on in a couple months, so I'm hoping the new controller will give me cause to spend more time with it.

Overall. Remains to be seen really. Honestly very hard to recommend at the price level TBH, but then you can level that at many of the "pro" controllers, so that could change as I use it more. It's built well, but not top of the class....it has those great Dualsense features, but then so does every Dualsense already out there. It probably doesn't stand out enough to warrant essential use, whereas I'd have no problem having the Elites as the standard for PC and Xbox (granted some had QC issues as some users attest, but it's par for the course nowadays. Been lucky to have only had a bumper go on the very first Elite 1's after years, but no issues with the other 1s and 2s around the house). Probably a solid 7/10

Found a link to this teardown on Reddit. Assuming the battery chemistry is the same as the regular Dualsense then that looks a decent drop in battery size. Both my Dualsense wouldn't be the best between charges so this will be far worse you'd imagine.

I'll probably still pick one up later in the year though.

Picked mine up. Only played a small bit of Rocket League so far. Small bit heavier alright, but basically the same. The black buttons on the white background is nice. Touch pad is slightly bigger and the leds around it curve back towards the bottom.

Case is lovely, cable seems nice and strong. The cable holder for the controller is a nice touch. But it charges on the dock so I probably won't be using the case much. Would have preferred if the flap for the cable opened upwards, but not an issue.

Time will tell if I get full use out of it. Have a profile mapped for Subnautica basically putting the left/right direction pad buttons to the back. One thing I don't see is the ability to map multiple buttons to the back, ie: L2&R2 together. Maybe games will allow it but couldn't map the air rolls in RL.

But i like it, and as long as everything else keeps working, the swappable sticks will show their worth in the future.

I also accidentally created a 3rd way to use back paddles. If you put them in the right way, the paddles are right where the body of the controller meets the legs. If you put them in backwards, left in right, right in left, they extend a but further down the legs and felt more natural to me. Saying that, I'll be using the nubs mainly, even with my limited use so far there's less chance of accidentally pushing the nubs compared to the paddles. (Yes, I'm using the wrong words).

Edit: forgot to add, the extra texture on the trigger tips and the rubber grip on the inside legs is a very welcome addition. Feels very solid and "gripped", if that makes sense.

Post edited by Potential-Monke on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

I don’t know, all power to people who want a more premium controller experience, but I couldn’t personally justify the price for this, when I could get 5 dualsenses for the same total cost when they are on discount.

I cancelled my order for now, I am probably going to get one down the line but I couldn't justify getting this and PSVR2 one after another. They really should have gotten this out at the end of last year.

Well TBH.....I think it'll struggle to justify its value against RRP, and while I think it's relatively well-built, you can see the areas where Sony has shaved the cost. I think it's most certainly a control design that could have used more time in the oven, which makes its protracted arrival a little on the odd side, but the whole stick modules thing has clearly affected what they could achieve design-wise. Of course, perhaps a redesign of the sticks themselves as a fixed item would have been time better spent, instead of hoping to create a spare parts process as even Gulikit have already stated they're going to bring out Hall effect stick modules. Thankfully, I dont believe I've ever had a drift issue on any controller, but clearly its a thing so they might be ahead of things.The rear paddles do appear a somewhat clunky implementation as well, but as Potential-Monke says above, I'd probably just use the little stub yokes if I bother with them at all.

One other minor gripe I've noticed is the some sometimes accidental hitting of the function buttons. Perhaps more of an issue for those with big hands or the way some grip the controller. Hitting against these long enough pops up the profile select overlay. Now of course, you can turn this offf and turn that off, but it is supposed to be one of the key features of the device, so it's something to be aware of doing accidentally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭brady12

Whats the point of getting one ? iv money to burn on gamestop gift cards and prob going use it against psvr2 but this is tempting too. Why did ye get one how does it make yer gaming experience better ?

I got one because I had money aside for PSVR2 but got a €500 One4All from work which paid off the PSVR2, so had money to burn. Then the recent €40 off didn't hurt. I got it mainly because I've had 3 controllers, one now with drift making it unusable even for Apps, another which will probably get it soon due to the amount of time I've got out of it. So the idea of the modular sticks makes me think it will be worth it in the long run. Plus, there's surely an option of having the newer type sticks in the future maybe...

Secondly, I wanted back paddles. No specific game making me want it, but I can see some games scream out for more buttons. Even though it's taking me time to get used to using 8 of my 10 fingers now, I think it will be a great addition in some games. In Forspoken, I had them mapped to dash and jump, but I recently changed it as I'm about to unlock another power and the switching between powers may be better on the back. In Subnautica, I'm using it to change items in the inventory in the vehicles without having to leave go the steering. They're minor improvements, but most good QoL improvements are usually minor.

If you've money to burn and nothing else to spend it on, I'd say go for it. It's not a life changing experience, in fact it's quite a small change really, but it's noticeable and still to be fully utilised. The quick swapping between profiles is nice, and you can change the notifications to just vibrate to confirm the change if you've a good enough memory. It looks a bit nicer than the standard white, and the black buttons make it stand out, just like the different shape the lights make. The rubber grips at the bottom inside are a nice touch, as are the extra dimples on the triggers. I haven't used the buttons to change the triggers yet, but I could see how it would be useful in competitive FPS, etc.

My only gripe is you can't map button combos to the back buttons, but that could be sorted with a software update. Just like I'm sure the Fn buttons will have more uses as time goes on. But it's really a case of minor additions for quite a chunk of change, and hopeful for the future to make it's worth. It's also my first premium controller so I've nothing to compare it against.

I think GuliKit are planning on making magnetic thumbsticks for the PS5. They already have their own controller and parts for the Switch and Steam Deck.

Sweet! Just having that option will make it worth it imo. It may also help modular accessories become a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Ronan

If you are a GameStop+ member you get another €40 off.

@TitianGerm You're right, I shall be getting them! Let's just hope Sony don't stop them. If they're any good, Sony should partner with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭brady12

• Registered Users Posts: 8,924 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

I watched this earlier and I'd not realised that there was only two rear buttons instead of four. No clue how I missed that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭jj880

Some great features but wth is with the battery capacity? Standard dual sense has nearly 50% more battery capacity than edge according to this review. Cant help thinking that's to accommodate the stick modules. Opportunity for Sony to start using non drift sticks and at least keep same capacity or even increase it. Bit of a shame really.

Advertisement