Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M6 - Galway City Ring Road [planning decision pending]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Neither the greens not any other party has caused congestion. This is down to the people who make the choice to drive knowing that traffic will be heavy.

The climate strategy is something that is accepted by all parties so no point blaming the greens for that.

As for building "proper roads", how will these manage to defy what always happens and reduce traffic volumes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Widescreen

If we all drive ‘sustainable’ vehicles there will be no emissions! That has to be the aim, current policies are flawed , another version of carbon tax - keep polluting and pay more!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I wouldn’t be a fan of Eamon but he is 100% right here. A new approach is needed in Galway (and that can include a new bridge over the Corrib). Everything needs to be looked at, not just saying we'll build a billion euro road first and consider other things after that.

I posted years ago in the other, now locked, thread that nothing would be done in Galway as long as they ploughed on regardless with that ridiculous Ring Road plan. Years later and they want to have the same design assessed by ABP again despite it not having been designed in accordance with one of the key assessment criteria. They want to waste further years to get told no! Eamon is right to call an end to this madness.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

No emissions but just as much congestion or more.

The only solution for Galway must be based on sustainable transport. A light rail (tram) solution is what is required supplemented by buses and cycleways. The only way of integrating cars would be P&R suitably located outside the city. Remember, cars might be great for most people but not for those who cannot drive due to age or inability to afford a car. The GoCar solution (short term rental) would have a place in the solution.

How much public transport could be provided for the €1 billion that the GCRR is likely to cost - or even the original budget of €600 million? Could it provide 20 km of tramway? [Knocknacarra to Coolagh and Claregalway to Galway CC]

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

Delighted to hear Eamon Ryan make a definite opinion on this. It's needed one way or another.

I'm all for better road infrastructure and believe another river crossing is vital, but at this point they might actually prioritise public transport infrastructure before the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Don't worry about Eamon Ryan. FG and FF will get him telt, just like they did in Limerick. The useless sh*tehawk.

His political career will likely be over before it goes out to tender anyway. In the meantime the City and County Council can carry on securing planning approval, once any so-called climate hoops are jumped through.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

People like you have been predicting Eamonn Ryan’s political demise for a very long time. I think he’ll be okay.

The City and County Council can carry on trying to secure planning approval for several more years but they will undoubtedly, ultimately fail. It would be a complete waste of time and money. This project can't jump through hoops which it simply doesn't fit through, the other government parties know this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

@[Deleted User] "Though its very likely that they'll have to "retire" Brendan McGrath to see any real progress/shift in attitudes"

He's got five months left before his contract is up, I believe, and there is an active recruitment process underway for his replacement.

I think I was told by someone that the role is time limited and can't be renewed indefinitely, so there's no cloud over his departure or anything like that, just part of the normal local authority cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Totally different. That road was already approved.

• Advertisement

There is no such thing as a sustainable vehicle with no emissions. That's another lie that's being peddled.

All electric cars lead back to coal, oil and gas.

Through manufacture, shipping around the world and making the electricity to power them.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

Not to mention the enormous environmental damage caused to mine rare earth minerals - a key piece of battery tech.

These minerals are not actually rare - they're just spread over large areas of land which need to be extensively mined.

I wouldn't be surprised if we start see limits on electric car batteries in favour of rare earth minerals going to solar, wind etc

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Completely correct. Not alone was limerick distributor road phase one approved by bord pleanala but funding was also allocated . Since then Eamonn Ryan has eliminated the crucial phase 2 which included the River Crossing etc etc from all government plans so I wouldn't underestimate his power as transport minister.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Nor would I discount the Greens from doing well in the next election. Climate issues consistently come in the top 3 issues that Irish people are worried about, and that should be enough to see the greens get another decent showing. If the final result matches the polls right now, then they're pretty likely to be a vital part of any coalition talk for every party.

The funny thing is, Eamon Ryan is probably the least radical of all the possible green leaders, he's in power to get things done. You might not like what he's doing, but you'll like any other Green leader even less, in my opinion. It's entirely possible that with a change of management, the Greens would extract huge concessions like cancelling planned road projects for their support.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Actually the present policy is that car journeys are to be reduced generally with a greater focuse on active travel and public transport. Moving a single person less than 10km in a 1 tonne steel box is a gross misuse of energy no matter what the source of that energy is. Electric cars are cleaner than fuel cars but are still a grossly energy and space inefficient means of transport.

The policy means greater spending on active travel and public transport and an end of spending on projects that result in an increase of car usage. Future Road projects will focus on safety and connecting ports to the motorway network, perhaps the M20 will still be built. More roads in cities is basically over as a transport policy, it didn't work.

This makes sense for the Irish economy as we do not have a car industry. Absolutely everything we spend on cars, fuel and oil is stimulus for car and oil producing economies. Cars are the second largest purchase for the average Irish person. Imagine we kept that money in the economy, we'd easily boost the size of our domestic economy 20%

Awesome news, I wasn't aware that's all he has left

Maybe we'll get lucky and end up with someone like Robert Burns

Only if you're very, very unlucky. That eejit caused war in local Communities around Dun Laoghaire.

By the way, can we change the thread title, its inaccurate.

Just to reflect back on this statement.

Is it not exactly how the World works??

The Tara Skryne valley, the Glen Of The Downs Woods, the Archaeology at Carrickmines...

All insurmountable legal obstacles in their day, yet look, there they are, all built and carrying hundreds of thousands of cars, every day.

Do you think the climate provisions are going to stop the M20 Cork-Limerick? By your logic it ought to, but you know it won't.

Same goes for the GRR, there will be a fudge, a trade-off, a few mitigations here, a few ameliorations there, maybe some eejit will buy carbon credits or something, but it will be built and you know it in places you don't talk about at parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,036 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Dacor is removing taxis from bus lanes even on the agenda?

I’ve been saying this for ages but I imagine the taxi industry will go bananas at this.

Is anyone actually pushing this?

Actually same question for ANPR (automatic number plate recognition) cameras.

Edit:

sorry just realised the post was from October last year! Apologies in dragging that up!

• Advertisement

All those roads were in a different era though.

It's like burning smokey coal, cutting turf, asbestos, lead in petrol. All phased out over time.

There will be no road.

Buying carbon credits to get it built LOL.

A totally different generation seen the construction of M3 and M11. M20 might get built, at least there is an economic and safety argument t for it. Additional ring roads in Galway and Limerick are all but dead.

Isn't that interesting.

Why then did Micheál Lehane of RTÉ, report An Taoiseach's comments in respect of the GRR this morning as,

It remains Government policy to build that road, people can have different perspectives, but that the National Development Plan and the Programme for Government means that it will be built......

An Tánaiste backed up that position in a direct reply to Sean Canney TD in the Dáil.

Now, if I could just remember who Eamon Ryan's boss is again....

They can say what they like, its not them deciding it.

ABP now have to assess it against the CAP, which will likely kill it for good. In the event they approve it (extremely unlikely) it will be up to the courts to decide it following the challenges that will undoubtedly follow.

It will be open to anyone to make submissions or comments to the press, but ultimately it will be ABP or later on the courts, deciding it.

In any case, now that it has to overcome the CAP, we'll likely see a ABP decision in 2025 killing it for good

They tried that before in with the Galway bypass and the European courts finally put an end to it. It will be the same again this time if they are stupid enough to push that far. Sure what's another decade at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

I’m not sure if this argument is an example of the hard-Green tendency of allowing perfect to be the enemy of good, or good old anti-environmentalist whataboutery, but it’s bogus either way. It is imperative for the future of our civilisation that we shift surface transportation away from consuming fossil fuels. Right now, we have all the manufacturing emissions downsides you mention plus consumption of fossil fuels for the vehicle’s lifetime, and motor vehicles are fairly inefficient users of a relatively dirty form of fuel.

Using electrical energy for transportation allows transportation to become carbon-free in use as more and more electricity production becomes carbon-free, and we are on our way to that - here’s the fuel-source mix for the Irish grid for the last month:

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭TnxM17

Same goes for the GRR, there will be a fudge, a trade-off, a few mitigations here, a few ameliorations there, maybe some eejit will buy carbon credits or something, but it will be built and you know it in places you don't talk about at parties.

I think the above quote from you is plausible, but it will be the GCRR that will get fudged for a smaller more purposeful scheme.

That graph still shows ~50% fossil fuels, in a small island country with a lot of wind resource.

The problem though is global warming, not local warming and on a global level we are not on our way to it.

Last year we burned more coal than ever - globally.

~80% of our global energy comes from fossil fuels AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Cant see this road going ahead now its going to be tied up for several more years with ABP and then the court challenges which are likely to succeed coming after that. By the time all that rolls around we will have had 2 or 3 more years of bad news on climate change, carbon emissions targets missed, EU fines kicking in and so on. The political winds are shifting on new roads and this delay means it will be far harder to get it through.

Theyd be better off just pushing for a proper public transport plan now and getting that underway rather than wasting even more years on this road. But the problem is a majority of people in Galway seem to have tunnel vision about building this road, its become an obsession to many living there at this stage so no politician is going to say stop as theyll lose votes.

• Advertisement

the problem is a majority of people in Galway seem to have tunnel vision about building this road

I wouldn't be so sure about that majority anymore.

15 years ago, sure, hell you'll even find posts from me in this thread supporting it and fuming when the original one was killed in 2013.

Since then I've educated myself

Same with many around Galway

I won't claim a majority though as neither supporters or opponents can without data to back that up.

One thing is for sure, there's a hell of a lot more opposition to it now than there was for the GCOB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement