Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Getting driving glasses that tint when sun is bright?

• 26-04-2022 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭

Only got glasses recently for the computer, but gradually find I'm needing a pair for driving too and had a follow-up visit with the optician today to get a pair for driving.

I completely forgot to mention to him that I generally drive with sunglasses as I'm quite sensitive to bright sunlight while driving into the sunsets etc... what sort of lenses could I get that darken automagically?

I'm aware there are lenses that react to outdoor light, but are there any that react to light coming into the car?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭jeoun

I would recommend Transitions Xtractive Polarised lenses. These will darken and polarise behind the windscreen. However, they will never be as dark as permanently tinted lenses.

If you really want to invest in a fantastic pair of sunglasses, then I would recommend Serengeti drivers but they are expensive in prescription!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

If you have a low prescription you can easily get a cheap pair of prescription sunglasses. If not you can get an expensive pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭JayPS 2288

I’m -12.5 in both eyes. I got a prescription pair of shades. Best €150 I ever spe t.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Go for Transitions, you never have to think about whether you need sunglasses it not.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,319 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Regular transitions dont work behind car windscreens as they filter out the light which the glasses react to. I believe there are some that do specifically work in a car but last time i looked they were insanely expensive. I'd love to have a reactive par of prescription glasses but havent been able to find any affordable ones.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I've had transitions for many years and they tint while driving or behind any glass. I'm not sure what you call insanely expensive, as I've never paid an exorbitant amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭LasersGoPewPew

I've had a couple of pairs of expensive transitions over the years. Transition glasses only fully tint when under direct sunlight, when sitting in a car there's some light that's refracted through the windscreen which hit's your lenses but it's not intense light when compared to standing outside, so your transitions will only mildly tint.

You'll get the best results with prescription polarised sunglasses which stay constantly a dark tint. I moved to contact lenses and Oakley polarised sunglasses, also have Decathlon polarised sunglasses and there's a minimal difference if any between them. Both are excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I just have prescription sunglasses I keep in the car and put those on as needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,319 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Maybe your car has a sunroof or you bought the more expensive drivewear ones perhaps?

https://www.onlineopticiansuk.com/photochromic-lenses-explained-i149 "Standard photochromic lenses do not work inside a car due to the windscreen blocking out the UV rays which are needed to active the chemical process which causes the lens to darken.

A new lens has been brought to the market that can react inside a car or behind the windscreen without UV rays and uses daylight alone to trigger the reaction. These lenses are known as 'transition drivewear lenses' which combine both photochromic and polarisation technology."

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement