Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I apply for a job that wasn't advertised within my company?

Options
  • 28-01-2023 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

1. Our company is undergoing a restructuring/looking to hire more managers.
    2. My boss is an 'officer' rank and she is great!
    3. Company is hoping to throw manager in above her and she was told she would get interviewed as best candidate for position when advertised.
    4. This was told in confidence to me 6 months ago, and that she wanted me to go for her role as officer.
    5. However, we didn't hear much back and she received an email alert for a job position on LinkedIn.
    6. The description looks very similar to the manager role they told her about - it is definitely 100% the same position.
    7. She went to her line manager and was told decision was made to advertise in UK first.
    8. In my opinion, this is pretty underhanded and makes her look silly in front of me.
    9. She took me aside again and said she was looking elsewhere (hence the email alert) and would not have any issue with me going for the role above her.
    10. She's a brilliant manager, I love her (not in that way) and wouldn't go for it normally but I saw the LinkedIn spec and feel we're both qualified.
    11. She has no problem with me going for it, but warned that she was not happy with whole way this was handled.
    12. However, I feel a bit bad about going for it, and even if I went for it - it's only posted outside the company (unusual to say the least, we normally only do internals).
    13. I know I can't give away specifics without doxing myself, but would it be strange to apply for a job that intentionally was not sent by management to me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Kurooi

You're confusing applying with actually getting interviewed, getting offered the job, working it.

Apply , why not. Go through it see what happens and make the decisions later. And let her know you think she's brilliant and great for the job and you hope she gets it. But you also want to test yourself and at least show you're a good candidate.

There's a good chance you're going to hold yourself back for her benefit and neither of you gets the job.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

The problem with always giving roles to internals is that you don't get fresh blood and ideas in the company and the group think grows alarmingly. So there may well be a decision to introduce new blood into the mix. On the other hand it could also be that they just don't want to give the role to her, but would be happy to consider you instead.

You don't have anything to loose by applying. She will be history and the worst outcome for you is that you get knocked back for a role that was above two levels above you, at least you'll have demonstrated that you believe your future is with the company and in times of rehstructurnig new opportunities always open up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

OP on points 3 through to 8, that is on your manager. She should not have informed you of anything until she was sure so they have not made her look silly, she did that to herself. They may have initially thought to interview her but decided to go a different direction which they would like to do. Also if they are advertising in the UK first, even if you do put in application, there's no guarantee you'll get anything back from it as they may want to move the position to the UK from Ireland. If my work had a role going in the UK & they were looking for someone in the UK for it and I applied, I'd probably get a thanks but you're in the wrong geographical location for the roll.

Advertisement