Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paypal currency issue

Options
  • 09-03-2020 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭

I'm having an issue with Paypal and seeing if anyone can help.

I've got sterling in my Paypal account, that I wish to transfer to a sterling bank account.

Paypal won't let me do this without exchanging to euro, which will then be exchanged back to sterling. So I'll get stung twice for bad exchange rates.

Is there any way to get around this? It seems bonkers to have to exchange sterling to euro only to have it changed back to sterling.
    Post edited by whiterebel on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I've heard people have successfully rang Paypal to get accounts of a different currency added. Their exchange rate is awful too

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Corvus Libros

I think it has to do with sending money across borders. If the PayPal account is in Ireland and the bank account is in the UK there's no way to transfer without fees, that I could find. My work-around was to open a new PayPal account with a UK address to take sterling payments (I used my Parcel Motel address). Then transfer that to Revolut so I can spend it in GBP without conversion. It's not a permanent solution because I think PayPal will have to verify residency to comply with money laundering laws.

It's possible to open a sterling account in some Irish banks, but from what I've seen the account fees defeat the purpose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 236 ✭✭evolveDD

Yeah try and avoid paypal's exchange rate, they are extremely greedy or what ever. Insane difference compared to using my bank when purchasing things in GPB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 emil_uta

o transfer sterling from your PayPal account to a UK bank account, you can follow these steps:

1. Log in to your PayPal account
    2. Click on "Wallet"
    3. Click on "Transfer Money"
    4. Select "Transfer to your bank"
    5. Enter the amount you wish to transfer and select the bank account to transfer to
    6. Confirm the details and complete the transfer.

Please note that PayPal may charge a fee for this service and it may take a few business days for the transfer to complete. It's also a good idea to check with your bank for any additional fees or processing times for incoming transfers.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

3 year old thread. Locked.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement