Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food that could taste nice but you won’t try

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭delboy85

Black pudding. I just can not bring myself to taste it. It looks so horrible.

But white pudding I love!

• Duck.

Bugs of any sort never gonna happen.

I don’t like seafood but work in a seafood restaurant so regrettably have to eat it but one thing I can say is if you DO like seafood you should try shellfish. It looks gross I agree but the textures more meaty and pretty much like most fish than it would appear.

Fair enough if you can’t be bothered though, my stopping point is Calamari anyway. I’m not eating squid anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Mayonaisse. People douse it on stuff but I honestly come close to wretching when I smell it

• Yes or any Mayo based sauce. Taco, garlic etc. no thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭raclle

• Advertisement

I won't touch any plant based meat substitute. Sorry planet.

I've never tasted lobster and never will. I did taste crab once and thought it was vile.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭trashcan

I drank tea as a child, but I haven’t touched it since then. Don’t even like the smell (someone once tried to tell me tea had no smell !!). I’ll try most things to be honest. Would probably draw the line at snails. Most disgusting thing I’ve ever tried was Octopuss. The texture was vile, couldn’t swallow it. In general I really love seafood though, prawns are one of my favourite foods, just delicious. Other things I don’t like are celery, Brussels sprouts, and beef.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

If you like caeser salad or spring rolls or whatever you will more than likely be eating them for the rest of your life anyway.

Try the steak tartar/oysters/mussels at least once. You will either love it or hate it, but at least you'll know

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I'm not keen on the plant based meats because of how processed they are. Mushrooms aren't supposed to taste like chicken

• Registered Users Posts: 39,190 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

There are some really weird posts in this thread. Many of you sound like picky children tbh.

I mean, its perfectly fine to not like a food you've tried. I've not a fan or turnip, and cucumber adds nothing to a dish.

But to hate something you've never tried because you imagine something else is weird. I won't pick out posts, you know who you are.

• Advertisement

Don't get me wrong, I love my veggies and I've no problem eating vegetarian food, I just recoil at the thought of fake meat? I'd rather no meat.

• Yeah speaking as someone who is like this we know. But it’s just a matter of the smell/look/thought of something literally turning your stomach.

mayo for instance might taste delightful but the smell absolutely turns me. So even if it’s like eating God’s nectar I can’t stomach the smell so.

Calamari the notion of eating squid just no. I don’t like being picky and awkward about food cos it’s annoying but I can’t help it either.

I’m fairly confident other folks here like that are in a similar boat. I don’t think it’s something that’s enjoyable & i’m genuinely envious of people who are happy to try and eat pretty much anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

Had lamb cutlets in the air fryer today. I forgot why I never buy them. Smelly, soaked in fat and ridiculous price

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Cabbage, growing up cabbage and bacon was one of the week meals. Parents would boil cabbage to death in the same pot as the bacon. Smell of it, texture, all of it, no thanks.

Weird because I love joints of bacon still.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Lamb cutlets have to be the worst value for money out there. Pricey enough for what you get out of it.

Dont think they'd be ideal for an air fryer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Fried Mushrooms, sautéed onions, anchovies, oysters, just the look at their texture make me sick

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Tornaedo

Thing is, I've encountered lots of Dubs who consider coddle to be akin to prison swill and the ones that do like it tend to make a big thing about it and them being from Dublin.

As for me, there isn't really any Irish food I wouldn't try but I've no desire to eat snails even though they're a delicacy in France, same with crickets and spiders that are popular in other parts of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

the pure tallow that dripped down weighed as much as the crispy scratchings that were left and even they still were greasy

I can completely get it if the smell of something puts you off. Smell is a huge part of enjoying food. Not really what I was talking about above. Similarly snails and insects I understand the revulsion (although I have tried snails). But I'm talking about mentally writing off a food (with no smell or taste issues) due to some mental thing they made up. "What's that mommy, it looks weird" - as I said, seems kinda childish.

Eg imagine a nice cold beer is served warm and smelly. Huh?

Coddle is a funny one. I grew up eating it (Dublin reprobate obv). I've seen lots of people baulk at the idea of boiled sausages, but would have no issue with a hot dog - which is a boiled sausage - and a much more questionable one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I think it's also the colour white that puts people off

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

You can tell a lot about people and their fussy eating.

All hating food without ever trying it.

Claiming a fresh natural food item from the sea is disgusting whether it be an oyster, fish or shellfish whilst claiming a burger or sausage is fine which is full of processed muck that is no where near it's natural state.

I think I've eaten everything that people here have listed and enjoyed them all. Of course I have preferences but the freedom and joy of not having food hang ups is huge and brings great pleasure especially when travelling as I'd literally try everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,575 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

A lot of people on this thread aren't getting the difference between "don't like" and "refuse to even try for some arbitrary reason".

Post edited by Dial Hard on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

That’s me and a Bourbon biscuit. I just can’t bring myself to try one. They may be nice but they won’t really taste nice to me as I’d be forcing myself to do something I’m repulsed by.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I won't go near anything with cucumber in it. It overpowers and contaminates anything it's added to. Caviar and any sort of fish roe is a big turn off also.

Yet they are probably fine with white port chops, roast pork, etc.

Not to mention chicken breast, potato, bread, pasta, milk, ice-cream, yogurt. And all the white food we eat daily. I think you’re proving exactly why it’s arbitrary and weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Dslatt

Hot dogs are delicious, coddle is rank, simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Schnooks

We used to get liver now and again when very young, I remember actually gagging at the texture, smell and taste of it. In the end we all just refused to eat it, including my Dad, so my Mam gave up making it. So I will never ever eat it again, but that's something I have tried and hated.

A few things I have never tried, but cannot bring myself to are kidneys, tripe, hearts, tongue, and most offal really. It's a psychological thing I think, just can't stomach eating the innards of an animal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭quokula

That quote reminded me of the amount of foods I used to think were awful and didn't touch for years after moving out of home, but it turned out they were really nice when not cooked by parents who boiled everything to death.

Advertisement