Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'd say it's two from Larmour, Hansen and Lowe and the latter two have more credit in the bank recently.

Do we actually have any more fit wingers apart from Earls?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Farrell hasn't been afraid to go against Provincial pecking orders tho. In the absence of Henshaw, and as good as McCloskey was in the Autumn, I think I'd favour Aki.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Stockdale and JOB are in the squad. Daly or Nash might get a call up if we have more injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I'd like to see Bealham get a start, he's been excellent the last 12 months, and Furlong can't be 100%.

One of the rumoured issues with Aki is that his fitness isn't up to scratch, no idea if that's accurate but it won't help his case if it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

You mentioned Coles and Taylor, both of whom have been arguably the best hooker in the world at different times. Based on last season, neither are in the conversation any more. Taylor's form fell off a cliff last year and Coles hasn't regained his since returning from injury. Taukei'aho has passed them both. Would love to see the ABs follow Ireland's lead and back two young hookers in Taukei'aho and Aumua.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,520 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Wouldn't be sure on Lowe starting this considering his lack of game time

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Coles is 36, it's no surprise he's not able to do what he used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭phily2002

• 15. Leigh Halfpenny
    • 14. Josh Adams
    • 13. George North
    • 12. Joe Hawkins
    • 11. Rio Dyer
    • 10. Dan Biggar
    • 9. Tomos Williams
    • 1. Gareth Thomas
    • 2. Ken Owens (captain)
    • 3. Tomas Francis
    • 4. Adam Beard
    • 5. Alun Wyn Jones
    • 6. Jac Morgan
    • 7. Justin Tipuric
    • 8. Taulupe Faletau

Replacements:

• 16. Scott Baldwin
    • 17. Rhys Carre
    • 18. Dillon Lewis
    • 19. Dafydd Jenkins
    • 20. Tommy Reffell
    • 21. Rhys Webb
    • 22. Owen Williams
    • 23. Alex Cuthbert

Welsh team in,looks like its back to Warrenball

• Subscribers Posts: 41,383 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

might be one of the oldest packs to ever take the field

that center partnership is definitely get-at-able

• Registered Users Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Wow, I haven't seen a more busted flush since my en-suite overflowed.

Recalling Leigh Halfpenny is like Farrell giving Girvan Dempsey a shout.

Ireland will straight up murder Wozzaball and I can't wait to see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Shehal

Wales' chances largely comes down to how much they can under the Irish players skin at the breakdown, if if Ireland have front foot ball and are ontop at the breakdown I really don't see a scenario where Wales win unless Ireland have an absolute shocker but if they do get under Ireland's skin like they have tended to do in the past in Cardiff then it will end up being an arm wrestle which I wouldnt feel confident as more often than not it hasnt gone well for Ireland in these sort of scenarios.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,061 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The Welsh backrow is pretty good even if Tipuric and Faletau aren't as good as they used to be. Jac Morgan is a huge talent as well.

But that front 5 just doesn't worry me from open play. There's no real dynamism there and I don't think their scrum will be so good that it completely negates the advantage we'd have in phase play.

We'll probably see a lot of kicking from Wales, a swift kick chase and solid defence. It's up to us to break that down.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

...it will end up being an arm wrestle which I wouldnt feel confident as more often than not it hasnt gone well for Ireland in these sort of scenarios.

We beat the arm-wrestling-est team in a huge arm-wrestle just a couple of months ago, tho. (And SA brought a level of physicality that I don't think Wales can match).

On paper, I think we should asbsolutely be winning this one, but with it being in Cardiff, Gatland's return and uncertainty around a couple of positions it makes it all pretty intriguing tbh.

Love this time of year!

• Administrators Posts: 53,652 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

We have nothing to fear in that team.

Gatland is rolling the dice, seeing if he can get a last hurrah out of very old legs.

typically these games are tight affairs. Gatlands teams caused us trouble previously by simply tackling their hearts out, breaking records in the process, but they way we are playing currently is not possession based so they will have to find a different way to counter us. Thats why i think the game will be won in midfield, and we have more than enough to show up North and Hawkins as disconnected defenders. North hasnt started a game since the second week of december, and Hawkins has only started 4 games for Ospreys, with 1 welsh cap.

From that point of view i hope Aki starts at 12 and is up to speed, as we need a little more distraction that Aki has in his game, compared to what big Stu brings.

Up front its obvious how they are going to play. In possession its folding around the fringes until they see a weakness in our defensive line. In defense its slow down our ruck as often as possible by being gnarly. JGPs sniping here will have to keep them honest.

so looking foward to this !!!

I agree with everything you say and yes physically Wales wont match what SA brought, its more a mental thing as I don't know how but Wales just know how to get in our heads some how.

Yes intriguing is a key word, all the known facts point to an Irish win but with the game in Cardiff and ofcourse Gatland back there is far too many unknowns for me to be super confident we will win.

Its a talented back row but maybe a tad on the smaller size, especially if Ireland go with Baird,VDF,Doris.

I think Will Rowlands is a big loss as he's like the Jake Ball player that was always the big lump in the row that would pretty much guarentee a stable scrum. I think the Wales row is decent but looking at Ireland & Wales potential tight five there isnt a single Welsh player that would get in over their Irish counter parts so I would be very disappointed if the Irish scrum didn't get at least parity.

I think Halfpenny at 15 and even Hawkins at 12 pretty much confirms this, this is a Welsh team that simply needs territory so they will do everything possible to get in the right areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

We were posing like peacocks 4 years ago......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

No major surprise with the Welsh team - Gatty is looking to knock one more year out of the old timers, it's probably his only realistic option. They have nothing much coming through.

I can see him moving on again after the World Cup because, while I expect he will succeed in stabilising them this year, they're headed for some dark days after the World Cup and I doubt if he'll be bothering to stick around for whatever kind of rebuild they're going to attempt from 2024 onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Looks like Wales will do what Ospreys attempted to with Leinster a few weeks ago. Make sh1t of the ruck ball, slow the game down and kick for territory.

Biggar’s kicking would want to be on the money to get any change out of Keenan. There’s a lot of miles on the clock of that Welsh pack for a huge defensive performance. They might be able to keep it tight for 60 but can they for the full 80.

• Advertisement

Based on club and individual form a fairly average team which I think we can beat but they'll have a loud Millennium stadium behind them and Gatland will have them wound tight.

Big war of attrition come Saturday and a perfect warm up for France.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭cantwbr1

This Wales team doesn’t have the advantage of a Sean Edwards defence which caused us problems previously

• Registered Users Posts: 10,136 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Think we beat the brakes off of that Welsh team

I actually don't think it'll be all that attritional.

I think Beirne and Doris and VdF will cause absolute mayhem on the gain line for Wales and after that we'll pull away as the gap in age and quality fully shows.

If I were to predict a scoreline now it'd be 13-35.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I had a quick look there at 2013, which was the last time we won in Cardiff in the 6Ns. AWJ was injured but Wales still have 7 players from that day in their 23 for this weekend, 6 of whom are starting. You’d imagine if AWJ was fit then it would be 8 with 7 starting.

Ireland on the other hand have 4 players still around, only 2 of whom are likely starting (POM and Sexton). Healy and Murray are both probably on the bench.

I think we know what to expect from this team. They’re going to make absolute **** of every set piece and breakdown. And that can really work against this Ireland side.

But I still think we’ll have too much for them. The Ospreys did that against Leinster. But it was a weakened Leinster who still got the win. Our class should show in the end.

I've said it before, but it's all for nothing if we can't beat that Wales team in Cardiff. Irish rugby is in a great place, we've just come off a year where we're No 1 team in the world, won a series in NZ and beaten SA & Aus in the autumn, and Welsh rugby is in the absolute doldrums with existential questions about its future.

If none of that counts for something going into the game at the weekend, then we might as well burn it all to the ground and just take a chaos theory approach into every game.

I'm not usually prone to being OTT in terms of assessing performances or expectations, but we have serious serious problems if we don't get a win in the Millennium this weekend (absent an early red card or something unpredictable like that). If that Welsh team outplays us or outduels us tactically, then I genuinely don't know how it all works.

I don't think that Wales team can.

The aggregate over the last six Tests is 142-78 to Ireland. Basically two scores for every one of theirs. With and without Gatland.

There is absolutely no plausible arguments why Gatland coming back, with a squad backbone of creaking has-beens, will improve that average in any way.

Yes, Wales will go out to cause havoc at the breakdowns, but Ireland don't play a phase dominated game anymore, Wales can contest rucks that don't exist and we have more than enough smarts in our loose forwards to get penalties off them all day long.

Honestly lads, I think we're going to embarrass them.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Is there a build up thread this week? Or just in here? About a strong a team as Wales could name (albeit some older players). Have to say really hope Osborne is starting or at least on the bench.

just for pig iron i worked it out

the pack averages at 30 years 319 days

the starting team is 29 years and 170 days (severely skewed by Morgan and Dyer who are 23, and Hawkins who is 20)

• Advertisement

well we came into the 6 nations in 2019 being no 1 in the world as well, and lost by 18 points in cardiff to a grand slam winning welsh team... i take absolutely no comfort in any no1 status, or tour victory in NZ.

we should beat them, but can they beat us?? absolutely they can.

never underestimate a welsh player in a red jersey

Ireland by less than 10 in my opinion, wales to be ahead at half time.

Advertisement