Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Banshees Of Inisherin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

Thought it had its moments but overall didn't live up to the hype. The "layers" are so on the nose that I'm surprised people are talking about the metaphors as some kind of cryptic genius writing.

Parts of it are hard to not to cringe at from an Irish perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Agree, two lads at a bit of 'rowin' and that's about it - a stage play. The civil war analogy thing was simplistic and crude. I wonder did they get a few extra bob for hanging this on the 'decade of commemorations' tree. Nothing would surprise me. Kinda gruesome in places but laughably stupid too. Why does there always have to be an amadán in these Oirish films?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I think at this stage there’ve been *substantially* more posts in this thread complaining about people reading too much into the film than there have been posts reading too much into the film 😅

Personally, I don’t think the fingers thing is a particularly deep or symbolic metaphor. I do think it’s an effective narrative device - not realistic, but internally credible and leads to plenty of engaging dramatic tension and blackly comic moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,952 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I've said it already, but the weird backlash on this film is truly bizarre. 🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Absolutely loved it, best film I've seen for a long time. Some of the early dialogue between the characters was excellent, and the confession scene was hilarious. As it got darker, the cast shone even more and the 'nice' scene left a lasting impression. I was glued to it for the duration so as not to miss a second.

It's definitely the sort of film that won't be for everyone but I'm glad I don't fall into that bucket. An instant classic and deserves all the plaudits and awards coming its way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Well strangely enough I wasn't around 100 years ago to experience island life back then but I would say it's a decent representation.

Either way, why do people get wrapped up on this? It's a not a reality show, it's a story.

Gladiator did not accurately portray life under the Romans 2000 years ago but was still a great movie. Same could be said for hundreds of movies set in the past.

Banshees is entertainment not history.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,408 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I don't know why people get wrapped up in it, but obviously there are people that think this is how island life was 100 years ago as this (and films/plays like it) are the only reflection we have (the masses) on island life 100 years ago.

You only need to look at multiple posts on this thread to see that one of the opinions is that this is a reflection of life 100 years ago.

I totaly understand it is entertainment and not history however the point being made in a few posts is that this is doing well because it conforms to a number of stereotypes/beliefs that exist, predoninately, in America on Irish life.

Being familiar with island life and having listened to stories from my grandparents/parents this is as far from island life and you would hate to think that people actually thought this was a reflection of Island life (which they do).

I was playing tennis with an elderly English woman and she asked me was the scenery CGI.

A reminder that visit the west more often as some people think it's impossibly beautiful.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

So your problem with this film is the hypothetical response people who you don't know might have to it, because it might influence their imagined version of something they didn't experience is different to your imagined version of something you didn't experience?

It's a novel reason to dislike something, I'll say that much, but it's on par with "I didn't like the shoes the producer wore to the premiere" in terms of what it has to do with the actual film itself...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,408 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I have a few problems with the film.

The one I am addressing here isn't really the films fault. Its the fact that people think this film portrays life on an island in the 1920's. I'm just trying to counter the opinion that many seem to have about this being reflective of island life.

My main issue with the film is the storyline. It's not in anyway interesting or the theme itself original.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Splish Splash

I started to watch this on Netflix and it annoyed me so much I quit it after 20 minutes. I was offended by the hyperbolic thick bogman gombeen Irish tropes and stereotypes - that is literally all there was for the section I watched - and I couldn't stomach another minute of it.

I genuinely thought all the award nominations were a joke, tbh while I'm happy for the cast, I'm a bit disgusted that this is what passes for laudable Irish cinema in 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,317 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Mcdonagh is a “plastic paddy” london geezer TRYING to write Irish drama for his own reasons - Exploitation.

It’s shockingly bad and quite insulting to Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

I see mark kermode absolutely loved it. Thought it was laugh out loud funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,317 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

In the pocket of the major UK distributors and has been for years

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭Allinall

I haven’t met anyone yet that feels insulted?

On what basis do you claim to speak on behalf of Irish people?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I don't know what it is about this film that is making so many people so salty in incoherent ways, but while baffling it's also hilarious. I can only assume we'll read about how it's holding back our international reputation next.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭sporina

for those of us who love it.. "you can't talk butterfly language to caterpillar people" unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Strange alright. Initially, some were bored, which is ok. Then it became derision in that it is overrated and not fit for awards etc.

But now people are getting angry with the film. How do you angry at a movie (caveat;- unless it purposely sets out to be discriminatory or racist, which this clearly wasn't).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think it's just a combination of a Mainstream Hype Movie pulling in the idly curious, combined with the tendancy to over-scrutinise Irish films that do well; "begrudgery" is an overused reductive term but I do think we can't resist trying to find some Emperor's New Clothes with aspects of the culture we export.

Obviously some people just don't like the film, and that's fine too. Not exactly a fan myself and is by far the inferior Irish film at the Oscars these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭casey jones

Reminded me of the Field for the wrong reasons..the mandatory eejit, farm animals in the house/pub, dead donkeys, suicide in the lake, misery, poverty, violence, failure, child abuse ( all fadders bate their children..The Field..the molesting Guard in banshees..shure its what we do..)..and if you dont like it then it was too deep for your limited intellect or you weren't paying attention. Acting performances are good, I wanted to like it but a big dissappointment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Saw it tonight and thought it was brilliant. Unfortunately, I saw it in Spanish so didn't get to properly appreciate the performances.

I found it to be terribly enjoyable and a good story about Ireland at the time. The Civil War was an important backdrop and the story seems to reflect that and the early stages of the nation and how it conducted itself. The film has a lot to say about Ireland in the 20s and some of it was still relevant. Your one who ran the local shop down my way was identical to Mrs. O'Riordan. I've met guards and priests of similar nature too. I don't think its about a specific island but more about the island being a slice of life across Ireland at the time.

I'll take some time to think more about it but there was a lot to get into and I'd highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭tibruit

It seems to me that there`s a lot of folks in the big smoke now that have lost touch with the realities of the lives of their ancestors. There`s at least one eejit in every townland in rural Ireland. Life would be less interesting if there wasn`t. They`re not mandatory. You don`t have to go back to the 20`s to find farm animals in the dwelling house. Can you imagine trying to make a movie about 1920`s Ireland without including what is stereotypical of 1920`s Ireland? What would The Field have been without all that you listed? A couple of hours watching two fellas making hay all day and having boring conversations about the weather in the pub.

It`s whatever floats your boat at the end of the day. I was engaged by Banshees. I fall asleep at Marvel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,463 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

We all accept there's one idiot in every village. In this film and with most of McDonaghs works, everyone in the village is an idiot bar an occassional hero or heroine such as Condons charachter. His portrayals of Ireland are tiresome, cliched, lazy, ill-informed, prejudiced, inaccurate and mostly derogatory. Its time he gave the Ireland bashing a rest as its boring at this stage.

Not surprising the Paddy Whackery is loved by the Americans though, they'll be rocking up in the Paddy Wagons to get a look at the scenary anytime now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

A hyperbolic response to criticism of a film seeking a moral highroad that amounts to, people who don't like a film I like are incoherent and salty. Embarrassing. You can do better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I don't get the polarisation in opinion over this movie. Like making out not liking it and criticising the hype around it is somehow artificial and preposterous and some sort of insult to arts. Its not. Its perfectly OK to not like this film and to think its overhyped.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Polarisation in opinion over this movie shows how much a stir it's making. Everyone is talking about it. Liking it and so on is not an insult to arts. Its perfectly OK to like this film and to think its worth its hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭sporina

watched it again last night and wow saw so much more in it.. the props in Colm's house for example.. the masks etc..

I wonder... any chance this movie could actually be brought to stage?

and its mad - my 2 current fav movies are both IRISH - wow - that only occurred to be this am..

amazing.. and fantastic..

roll on The Oscars!!

• Registered Users Posts: 85,259 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The Banshees Of Inisherin was one of the big winners at the London Critics’ Circle film awards

British-Irish director Martin McDonagh’s dark comedy left the ceremony with five prizes – including screenwriter of the year for McDonagh, actor of the year for Colin Farrell and both supporting actor and actress for Barry Keoghan and Kerry Condon respectively and also picked up the Attenborough Award for British Irish film of the year

https://www.breakingnews.ie/entertainment/tar-and-the-banshees-of-inisherin-sweep-london-critics-circle-film-awards-1428770.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Agreed. While I don't see it myself both ways are valid opinions. No need for anyone to get into a huff.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I try to shy away from saying something might be "overhyped" 'cos it sometimes reads as trying to downplay the opinions or enthusiasm of those who did like the movie. It's rarely the intent, but it can seem that way to say "I didn't like it, I think everyone else is going overboard."

Advertisement