Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Banshees Of Inisherin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Dontfadeaway

I feel like I missed something, it was awful silly. If it wasn’t for the big names attached, It would probably go unnoticed.

Still great to see the Irish doing well at the Oscars though.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭MattressRick

I agree with this. I said as much watching it that they were very clean looking and very well dressed. I was thinking I'd love to live there at that time because everyone and everything looked so clean. But it would have been anything but.

I also thought it was a good film but cannot understand the number of nominations. At the time of watching I thought Barry Keoghan played his character well but everyone else I thought just did fine.

Storyline was good and the ending was full of suspense wondering who was going to die, but I don't think the suspense will be there on a second watch. Plus the finger cutting thing was ridiculous and was so visibly graphic, coupled with the film being just ok in my mind, that it'd put me off watching the film again. Overall I don't see the film as worthy of a nomination or any of the actors, so I can't see me bothering to rewatch it.

Is this just a bad year for good movies?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

I watched it last and ..... meh!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭saabsaab

The people were clean and reasonably dressed back then in the West. Were people expecting rags it wasn't famine times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭sporina

Colin will 100% win best actor.. and twill prob get best screenplay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

No way, he is 3rd fav now so no chance. I still think the Elvis lad will win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭MattressRick

That's fair enough if it's the way they were across the islands

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

At the end of the day, the popularity of the film (and McDonagh) is due to how it appeases Irish stereotypes in England and Anglo-America. It is still safely within Hollywood Irish stereotypes of the quiet man unable to express himself emotionally that erupts in violence.

Joyce wrote novels a hundred years ago that destroyed these English stereotypes of Paddy and his pig and his inability to be intelligent and reserved and yet here we are... sigh...

I think this sums up McDonagh's shock portrayals of Irish people. It's all very gimmicky and violent but it's fun. How it's taken so seriously to be award worthy is beyond me though. A sign of the current state of film?

The new McDonagh film...

I think it could be seen as a sly dig at the stereotypes really. Like the over the top cutting off the fingers. It begs to not be taken at face value and that is why it has done so well.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,994 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Yeah, some people don't get the 'absurd' aspect of 'absurd comedy'

• Advertisement

It's a black humour. There's nothing really absurd going on. It's perhaps closer to a theatrical type of black humour that for my money works really well in theatre but not so well in film. But I don't see anything absurd in McDonagh's work. Absurd borders close to surrealism. I can't see that here. It's trapped between humour and reaching for something more but lacks the clarity and intellectual capacity to go beyond. McDonagh's work itself is limited by the same overly masculine properties of boys don't cry or being unable to express emotion - there's nothing delicate or beautiful drawn here. I don't think it gets past humour which is fine. I liked it but there is much better film work out there. This is hardly Michael Haneke or the Coen Brothers.

But to suggest that someone doesn't understand something because they don't share your opinion is kind of absurd.

Nothing delicate or beautiful? I think there is, as for the Coen brothers they are crude in comparison and that's saying a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

"But to suggest that someone doesn't understand something because they don't share your opinion is kind of absurd."

I'm seeing this a lot of this here, on Twitter, Facebook etc....."you don't get it", "you really need to be paying attention" as if we're dealing with a layered, nuanced piece of art when its far from it.

What the script reminds me of more than anything else is writing essays back in the day for English class, throw in a load of nonsense and when you get to the end of the required 2 pages.."I woke up and it was all a dream".

McDonagh is a lazy writer, he writes himself into corners that he cant be arsed to write himself out of(or doesn't know how to), to see people finding substance in this tripe is incredible really, biggest case of emperors new clothes I've ever come across in film.

Once again (since I posted it before), he has admitted he threw in the fingers cutting part of the "plot" for shock value, he didn't give it anymore thought than that.....to see people claim it means anything else is just cringe tbh.

Modern cinema is dominated by The Coen Brothers. Their influence is everywhere. You'll find them on every list of top contemporary directors- usually in the top five/ten. You wouldn't get McDonagh in the top 100 and that is correct.

Joel & Ethan Coen - Shot | Reverse Shot - YouTube

I agree to an extent. I don't think McDonagh's work is as limited as that. I wouldn't say he is lazy. But it is limited because, you're right, he hides behind humour and ambiguity too much. Now, that's been launched at the Coen brothers too in some films but they launched beyond that for me. Besides, the technical ability and artistic brilliance of their film making, across a broad spectrum of different genres, is on another planet to McDonagh. But not everyone needs to be or can be the Coen bros. But there are levels to film making.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 berkingdom

Many people thought " Blonde " was unwatchable. I think the Banshees is unwatchable. It feels like Martin McDonagh had some ideas to write a screenplay about two friends falling out but he didn't know what else to write. We never understand their friendship cos we never get a glimpse of it so we understand why Paedric was so upset. There is no character developments, all the characters are underwritten. There are some dynamics in the village but nothing fleshes out. All we get is some stereotypical, caricature of Irish villagers as if It is not written by an Irish but feels like written by a non-Irish who imagines how the Irish would be. I really dislike the idea of the " if you talk to me again I will cut my fingers" thing. I was screaming at the TV "just stop it ".

There are only two goods about the film, Kerry Condon and its cinematography. The worst thing in the film is Colin Farrell. People call this performance settled, I call it dull. He looks as if he is sucking a lemon while he is sleepwalking.

The film got 9 Oscar nominations ( what ???), and It will get nothing. Its best shot is the original screenplay because cos They didn't give him the award in 2018 and he won't get the best director but TAR, EEAAO, and Triangle of Sadness (or even the Fablemans ) are much stronger in this category and the other categories are almost locked. Colin Farrell ?? No, he is not getting an oscar either. If you look at the previous oscar winners you will see Colin Farrell's performance is way too "settled".

Some people think TAR is overlong and boring but this is how you write and explore a complex character. The Banshees lack a proper, well-written character and a plot.

I really like in Bruges and Three Billboards but The Banshees is super disappointing. Sorry, Martin.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Was thinking I was having a cranky senior moment not getting all the hype. Delighted for everyone involved with the Oscars - but it isn't even in my top 10 all time Irish movies. In fairness they are doing a style of movie that we are not that familiar with on Irish land. But , I find the comedy and seriousness in this movie an uncomfortable mix.

The idea of it being an allegory with the civil war is interesting idea - this had great potential , but the ridiculous story line and poor plot make this a bit of a stretch.

Anyway - happy to see that I wasn't alone not getting it. Seems to be a group think on stuff lately. "Best movie ever", got loads of Oscar nominations , must be brilliant ?

Also - how does this whole IMBD rating work. Seem to be certain films that can get very high markings from the off.

Anyway the Oscar is overated. Any film (most) are not great to watch really.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

When the Oscars get it "right" it is purely a coincidence. It is a total bullshít ceremony that often rewards mediocrity at best, is easily manipulated (hello Driving Miss Daisy and all films of that ilk); while the list of great actors or films who never even got a single nomination let alone a win, would be as tall as the Spire on OCS.

Never pay attention to the Oscars as a barometer of a previous years best films. Or indeed aggregators whose flaws are even more pronounced and skewed.

Q did Colm get to complete his piece of music (legacy) before chopping off all his fingers? I can't fully recall

Post edited by sporina on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

What the hell is with this thread and bashing the film? Just a trend?

Some ridiculous comments here about the acting and the story.

Easily one of the best films I saw in 2022 and it's nominations are deserved and I'll say it will pick up some.

The narrative here that it appeals to Americans who think of Ireland as shown in The Quiet Man are so wide of the mark.

I think it does a good job of showing what life was like on an Irish island 100 years ago, what do people think it was like?

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭El Duda

• Subscribers Posts: 40,994 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

its simply old irish begrudgery.... island life was very similar to the depiction in the film during the 60s, nevermind the 20s

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

Ah begrudgery, this is progress of sorts, its better than the patronising "some people don't get all the layers in the story" kind of response I suppose

But eh....go check out the thread for An Cailin Ciuin, people are positively creaming themselves for the film, the love for it is almost unanimous last I looked, no begrudgery there at all it seems!

I reckon some people think Banshees is a bit crap for no other reason than...its a bit crap

As far as the costumes etc go...that was the least of the movies worries imo

Post edited by sporina on

It's not an accurate depiction. A lot of the language wouldn't have been used back then. McDonagh was certainly not going for accuracy of the age.

A lot of comments lauding the film give very little reason to back it up.

I said I liked it. But, in my opinion, it's simply not a great film by any means. And not a very good one either.

There's only one thing more worn out than begrudgery and that's dismissing criticism as begrudgery. And continuing on a ridiculous idea that begrudgery is somehow an Irish thing is just... shite to be fair.

It's right up there with people who say, 'That's a bit too Irish now.'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Think this quote by Jung sums up a lot of the film. The sister was the only one to invite and talk (instead hiding behind walls) and the only one who dealt with her issues. If you also look at Gleason from the beginning of the film to the end he becomes more and more dressed in black (long coat and hat).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭joeguevara

• Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

You reckon that was an accurate reflection on island life a hundred years ago?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Advertisement