Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2022 NFL season - Regular Season Thread - Picks etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,899 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The Chiefs defense and the Arrowhead crowd have come to play but the margin should be way more then 13-6 at the break, the Bengals did well to hang in there. Need a TD on the first drive of the second half to calm my nerves.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Eagles were poor on offence and only got going thanks to several terrible ref calls and the 49ers defense tiring due to their lack of a QB. Their defense wasn't challenged at all so hard to know how well they were even performing. Basically everything went their way and it took an age for them to stamp their authority on the game. Hoping their hype continues so I can get decent odds to hedge my preseason SB flyer on them, as I'm very skeptical they'll be able to pull off beating either AFC team.

Pity for everyone, aside from Eagles fans, that a competitive game was taken away so quickly. Swear that the 49ers have built their new stadium on graveyard - the team has absolutely zero injury luck, going down to your 5th choice QB has to be unheard of (being the one armed version of your 3rd choice).

Probably the worst officiated game I've seen. 90% of the poor calls against the 49ers but still a few bad ones for the Eagles also.

On game management, if that 4th down call had be called correctly by the refs on the field, or from NY as they've done all playoffs, the 49ers would have been set up with good field position and all the commentary would likely have gone the other way. It was idiotic to not throw a challenge flag. I can see why he wanted to conserve TOs, as Purdy had burned through them in recent games, but Smith's reaction made it absolutely obvious there was something up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭amacca

That's some touchdown

We have a game in bu(a)rrowhead

Probably too early to say but this is looking ominous for the chiefs despite that 1st down..

Hardman pancaked and mahomes aggravating that injury trying to make something happen in one play....

Mahomes defo won't be doing much outside pocket now...

Toney, Sneed out with Gay, Hardman, Mahomes, and Kelce all hobbled. This is going south pretty quickly.

Wow! That is some pass to MVS.

Mahomes really is a magic player....

Don't think any other player gets a td in that kind of situation

• Advertisement

Holy ****...what was that!!!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

this is shaping up to be a serous 4th quarter

Big defensive plays after the Mahomes mistake. MVS has been huge.

Epic 4th quarter coming up!

FMD, 4th and 6 for 35 yards 🤪

Ffs what an outrageous 4th down throw from Burrow !

wow! tony completely wrong as usual lately. waht a call

• Advertisement

Hard to see the Chiefs being able to move the chains now and momentum is all with the Bengals.

Cook has had a poor game but what a play!

Hard to disagree....chiefs badly hobbled....yet I still can't take my eyes off it.....

rough PI call on bengals there. and that late push on burrows wasn't called earlier. even gene agrees not a foul.

Burrow to go down the field and win it now?

• Advertisement

hopefully....I need to go to bed😅

That intentional grounding might put a stop to my getting to bed soon...

Another class throw from Burrow

The chiefs would probably have beaten the bengals fairly easy in this game with a bit of luck and minus the injuries but Burrow is a class act.

Ffs ...why foul ....aaaagh, what kind of **** decision making is that

You tit ossai

Still if mahomes can recover over the next 2 weeks they will be better opposition for eagles than the bengals would have been imo....

BURROWHEAD MY ASS!!!

Let's gooooooooo

(That unnecessary roughness penalty was madness)

I think the refs very harsh on Bengals.

no matter how many times I see it, the owners lifting the trophy always make me go WTF. imagine the glazers lifting a trophy if Man Utd ever won anything

Travis Kelce letting them know about it. Eli Apple's mentions will be fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,961 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm still trying to get my head around how the Chiefs only won that game with a late field goal.

Eagles will destroy them.

Also I don't know the name of the player who pushed Mahomes but if I was the Bengals owner or coach he'd be traded or cut.

Many reasons how, some of their own making and others unfortunate (injuries). Mahomes has two weeks to get in better shape so "destroy" is strong but more than happy to go in as the underdog. No doubt the team would be too given the motivation from the Burrowhead stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

For anyone that cares, obviously lost my suicide picks but miraculously no one picks the eagles and chiefs so everyone lost. That’s so insane to think not one person picked that combo, so it all comes down to Super Bowl.

Iam going to ask to split half now and play for the remainder, it’s going to be split anyway one way or the other.

I wasn’t that impressed by the Eagles, I think a healthy Mahomes will be tough to deal with. The shoreline flattered the Eagles today, if the niners had a half decent QB it would of been a very close game, I thought niners defense was on point today, dumb ass offense made big mistakes, such bad luck on the QB this year

The refs in both games were pretty bad, some weird calls, especially in the Kansas game, I’d be pretty mad if I was a Bengals fan, also the foul on Mahomes was one of the dumbest things I’ve ever seen, it blows my mind, I know some of these guys aren’t the sharpest but my god, you can’t be that dumb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,866 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Eagles/Chiefs is definitely the least interesting Superbowl option for me, but I've booked the Monday off so hopefully it's a decent watch.

I have a feeling eagles vs chiefs won't be the worst possible outcome

I think the bengals would have been beaten fairly easily by the eagles and similarly the 49ers beaten easily by the the chiefs on what I saw last night (one proviso being its a relatively healthy chiefs)....at the end of the day best case scenario for 49ers is they would go into that with what? a 4th choice quarterback....no matter how good he's been its a big ask imo

The only team I'd have a question mark over whether they should be there would be the Bills but at the end of the day they either got thwarted by a good plan/defence or they ran out of steam after peaking too early due to what happened with damar hamelin.

I usually love an underdog but as bitter a Ravens fans....**** THE BENGALS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,356 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I don't think we'll fully get how ridiculous it was that the Chiefs got out of the game.

Chris Jones and a hobbled Patrick Mahomes, take a bow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

A perfect prediction round for me. Definitely the greatest feat ever on this thread. Never done before, and will probably never be repeated. Eagles and Chiefs exactly as I predicted.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭Christy42

A lot of people annoyed they didn't get the ascending star of Burrow vs Mr. Irrelevant with the cinderella year. Instead we have the already successful Mahomes vs one of the more disliked fanbases in the NFL.

Chiefs and Eagles do seem like the best teams but it sucks we didn't see the 49ers give the Eagles a proper match. The 49ers defense was doing great and then got frustrated when they realised they essentially had no real shot without a QB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Just seen his post-game shot at the mayor now. Amazing.

Far more entertaining and real than the token GAA 'shure lookit Marty....' anyway.

You thought the niners defense that gave up 31 points was on point?

I realise they were on the field a lot and that made a huge difference but saying they were on point is a big stretch.

Regardless of San Fran's QB issues you cannot decide it would have been close if Purdy stayed healthy. We don't know that.

Personally I seen enough to be confident that the Eagles are the best team in football as I've thought for most of the season. They have a top class defense and an impressive offensive line who gave up one sack. You'd want to have poor players in the offensive skill positions not to take advantage of that.

• Advertisement

I don't think that annoyance is driving the ref commentary, they were simply very poor in both games yesterday. There however isn't a conspiracy element to it as it is a quite regular thing in the playoffs, where they seem to get stuck between the minds of 'letting things go' playoff mode and throwing flags for ticky tack stuff like in the regular season. This season it seems to be even worse as they're holding up the game to let NY give their opinion on certain things while not doing it in others. They've continued with this grey area so one fanbase is very likely to feel aggrieved as they'll rarely balance out in a single game.

Are you just admitting to not watching the game?

If the 49ers defense weren't 'on-point' then the Eagles offense was extremely poor yesterday.

In the first half, when the game was in the balance, the Eagles had a worse yards per play than the 49ers with their 4th string QB (4.4 vs 4.9) and that includes a tiring 49ers defense due to time on the field and the long 4th down for the Eagles that the refs clearly got wrong.

Despite playing for nearly half the game without a QB who could throw the ball the Eagles only ended up with 0.2 yards per play more than the 49ers.

Their much hyped run offense ended up with 3.4 yards per play and Hurts -1 yards rushing in the first half. Add on top that Hurts only had 121 yards passing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I thought the 49ers defense was playing very well first half yesterday. The Eagles had some short fields due to turnovers but they played Hurts quite well, pass rush not getting too greedy. They gave up a few too many penalties but a lot of those were tough calls I think.

If the game wasn't over at HT it certainly was once Johnson went down. I saw a few people calling out Shanahan for not being more aggresive with his play calling, obviously not realising Purdy literally could not throw it past the LOS.

Officials I thought were awful both games. Missed drop by Smith, BS PI on ward, BS roughing the punter on Mason, not calling roughing on Burrow, whatever the f**k happened with giving the Chiefs a second attempt on 3rd down because of a clock management issue. Just a complete sh**show from start to finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,363 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The injury to purdy and Johnson ruined it as a game. Could they not have tried Mccaffrey at least once ? Sending purdy back out to hand the balls off was nuts. The eagles just had to crowd the box.

The smith no catch was very fortunate on the eagles part but not the first time a team has hurried to get a play off before it can be reviewed.

I don’t think the PI call on ward was BS. He swung the player around. The punting call was a bit a bit fortunate but the eagles got screwed when the ball hot the wire and between the officials and New York they couldn’t see it.

the explanation I’ve seen for the second go at third down was the clock was running when it shouldn’t have done and the side judge was trying to stop the play from happening.

Officiating this season at times has been shocking.

They tried one of the trick plays with CMC at one stage but it didn't work out. No team spends any significant time planning for situations where both QBs get injured - if you ever get to that stage you're completely screwed against any NFL defense. More likely that CMC or Deebo could break off runs handed to them by Purdy than CMC consistently make a pass, especially as CMC likely wouldn't even be able to cleanly get the play out in the huddle (QB4 who practices was struggling with it before being knocked out).

Agree that teams have hurried to the line but during the playoffs the officials have repeatedly stopped games to 'discuss' (i.e. wait for NY to give them the answer). It is that complete inconsistency is the problem - they shouldnt be picking and choosing who gets this benefit.

Eagles didn't get 'screwed', losing a few yards on a punt is completely different than a terrible 15 yard penalty on a punt that brought the Eagles into FG range, kept a drive alive that they then scored a TD on. I could write a massive list of other very questionable/inconsistent decisions that went the Eagles way but in the end it didn't matter, once Purdy went down they needed all the luck in the world to win and that chance went to absolute zero when QB4 went out.

Hopefully the officials got their bad games out of their system and we get a well called Super Bowl.

I wasn't trying to make out that any team got screwed necessarily, more that the officiating was awful in both games and was completely unacceptable for games of this magnitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Yes, 100%, not sure if you watched the game but niners defense was on point for majority of the first half, the first big play shouldn’t of been allowed as the ball clearly bounced of the ground, niners should of challenged. The offense mistakes caused the so many problems, Niners didn’t have a QB for most of the game, how you think that it wouldn’t be closer if niners actually had somebody that could throw the ball is baffling. Niners made some poor penalties at key moments but that was frustration also, you don’t have a QB and know you can’t win this

I watched every month mute if both games.

If a defense gives up 31 points then they are not on point. They gave up four TDs and one field goal.

I also said in my post that they were on the field a lot and that it made a huge difference to how things transpired.

I also said they only got one sack.

In the second half they were not that good. Obviously they were tiring after spending so much time on the field.

I honestly have no idea why you have an issue with my post.

You can put up all the stats you want but the biggest one of all is 31 points all scored by the offense. And all four were rushing touchdowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭collybyrne

1-1 takes me to 183-101 for the season.

Very disappointing night really, with the first game being such a non-event and the 2nd being decided by a penalty rather than any great piece of play. Two very different teams with two very different skillsets in the superbowl, here's hoping it makes for an entertaining game. I'm totally on the fence either way, would be happy to see Mahomes add another one to his tally and start stacking them up, at the same time I think the Eagles have probably been the most consistently good team all season and would have no issue with them taking the spoils.

Gonna really miss the games on Sunday nights. What do you guys typically replace the NFL with in the off-season?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭myate

The NFL offseason! It's never ending. You have to really like your news, but it's really only a few weeks after OTA's in June when it goes real quiet! Superbowl leads to the combine into free agency into the draft, into OTA's! Then its camp time, preseason & wham Week 1!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭collybyrne

I know what you mean, I do stay in touch with my favourite podcasts and websites alright but I mean more specifically on Sunday nights. It probably says alot about my life that I find it hard to fill the void that Redzone leaves!

• Advertisement
Advertisement