Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve (v2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭appledrop

Yep and the 3 sets of double French doors to go with them.

When you have limited space you do what works. It seems very practical I’m guessing you don’t live in Dublin

People need to start questioning the need for a deep retrofit.

we live in a 3 bed semi built in 84. The heating bill is 600 euro a year for 5 of us.

just about to go in the market as 200k will get us a bigger house extra bedroom and bigger garden than spending around 8k a sqm on a extension!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I liked the end result.

There's not a huge amount you can do in housing estate, between planning permission and small enough gardens to begin with you are rather limited.

That said I don't see a 200k improvement and I doubt they have increased the value of the house by 200k.

I imagine the french doors were alot cheaper than putting in a full window.

I wouldn't have a flat roof. Again I'd say it was a cost measure but they are more prone to leaking.

Other than that I do think it's a lovely finished renovation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,343 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Neither of those houses look lived. I'd love to see them with young kids, toys everywhere, food out on the counter, etc. I think Dermot either spends all his time at work or has a strange sense of what a family home is like outside of having loads of people over for a party.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

A good declutter, then build a garden room for the cinema/place for kids to hang out. Also could house a utility area. Would be much less hassle and cheaper than what was done.

The couple shown are much more educated then myself, but I thought a garden room was obvious given they had lots of outdoor space.

That sounds like my house freshpopcorn, with 2 young boys you never know what toy your going to trip over🤣

I think your spot on MadMaggie, for what they spent the final result in terms of extra space gained was shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

No I don't live in Dublin, but for what they spent I do think they could have gotten better value for their money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,689 ✭✭✭Xander10

I was thinking the same, with a spend of about 25% to 30% of the cost.

I couldn't justify remortgaging nearly €200k for that small extension.

This argument comes up alot.

I do agree with you. I do think they would have been better served selling and buying bigger with the extra 200k budget.

However house prices are ridiculous at the moment especially in Dublin.

It's also very easy to say that when you've no emotional attachment to somewhere. If they did sell up, they might need to change schools, kids wouldn't like that. Then there's friends and knowing the area and all that kind of stuff.

Did they get value for money....no I don't think so ....but then with the exception of Joe and Mary in Tipperary I don't think anyone has got value for money on this show.

I do think they got a nice renovation though. However, as Maggie above said, a garden lodge would have done the trick very nicely!

The only show I think that gives value for money is the new one "build me a home" or something along that lines, with the Aussie builder. Home rescue is also very good but tends to be one room focused.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭mykrodot

Ha , my daughter and her husband were on "Build your own home" with Harrison..... the final episode. Its a completely different show to Dermot Bannon. The people do all the work themselves apart from electrics and plumbing (well in her case they did it all). Its the best value for money and you know exactly what has gone into your house and how it has been built.

She learnt so much during the process and their home is just beautiful now, not picture perfect but built with their own love, blood , sweat and tears ( and there were plenty of them!). The 200K for last night's job is far more than she spent renovating an entire farmhouse from scratch! But you need to be young to do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭Deeec

I really did chuckle at that comment. Dermot does not understand the needs of a family - if he did he would have gave them a utility room. I have a large utility room and without a doubt it is what makes my house work. Its where we have all the washing equipment, storage for bags and sports equipment, coats are hung, shoes are put etc. Without this room my house would be a mess! That family last night needed a bloody utility room Dermot! The utility wall was ridiculous - there seemed to be no storage at all. They dont even appear to have an extra sink to wash football boots etc.

He could have very easily built a utility room out the side instead of one set of french doors. The family last night didnt get much extra space and although it looked nice it will be cluttered up with their stuff again in no time.

Also did they do anything to the upstairs of the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭harr

I definitely think they could have got better value for the 200 grand . A good de-clutter was badly needed. I fear no matter what size house this couple own it will always be cluttered.

Huge room in attic so I don’t know why kids were taking over the sitting room it sounds like they wanted a sitting room each .. as mentioned a garden room , utility room and a good de-clutter and maybe the help of an interior designer might have done the job .

Yes they probably could have sold house and added the 200 grand and moved but it’s not that easy with kids . People have friends good neighbors and are part of the community it’s very hard to up sticks and start some where new .

They definitely got a lovely house no doubt but I can nearly guarantee it’s just as cluttered now as it was before.

That day bed a waste of space and to many doors on the extension . Again no mention of what the heating is being used

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Francis McM

One interesting feature of the house nobody mentioned was the "sunken" living room area - you go down a few steps to it. How practical is that, especially as people get older? Tens of housands of times the steps will be used, all it takes is once for someone to stumble and break something? Or maybe someone who has such a feature in their homes can confirm if the extra cosiness / asthetic is worth the very slight potential danger?

Another thing that I noticed last night was Dermot explaining how wood on the kitchen cabinet doors etc added warmth to the kitchen, or words to that effect, and encouraging wood finish / colour. After putting the house owner off using wood in her kitchen the previous week in Co. Wicklow-she gort grey painted kitchen instead.

Post edited by Francis McM on

Did they air that episode?

Vicky phelan had just died and they aired a documentary for her in the time slot so my recorder picked that up.

I'm waiting on the rerun in the hope I get the last episode.

Fair play to her!

I really enjoyed that show and all the homes had a lovely finish and suited the families that lived in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭mykrodot

• Registered Users Posts: 16,108 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

He spent ages telling them to think ahead and make sure a wheelchair could fit in the bathroom just in case ,. Then put four steps down to the living room .!! We laughed here at the irony .

Where exactly would you have put a utility room?

it would have ate into other rooms. Lots of people don’t have utility rooms. You need to leave the country snd hi to the city where houses are smaller

a sink to wash football boots, notions !!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭seanin4711

room to improve..........Dermots bank balance.

give me George Clark anyday

The sink is called the back garden tap here 🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭Deeec

There was plenty of room on the side of the house to add a utility. They didnt need all the space outside at the side where the 3 sets of french doors were. It wouldnt have ate into their kitchen space at all.

Plenty of houses in estates have utility rooms - it is very useful space to have and its definately what that family last night needed. Having a sink to deal with dirty jobs is not having notions - they spent €200K on a revamp that isnt going to meet their needs - €200k

• Registered Users Posts: 28,630 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

He really doesn’t seem to get the concept of future proofing, even with relatively older clients, as we’ve seen with his fetish for unnecessary front door steps.

The big gap in last night’s show was the bikes, show in the dining room. A bike bunker can revolutionise bike usage, and there was no mention at all of where the bikes had gone or how they were being accommodated.

Having said that, this was the first episode for a long time that I could actually relate to, being a suburban semi-d. I really liked the end result, expensive and all that it was. I’m not too sure I believe all those “sure I could have done that for €20k” stories. I liked the pergolas (which weren’t mentioned at all). I’d have preferred windows to the line of french doors. I didn’t like the steps / change of levels - seemed a bit arty-farty. I liked the utility storage, having seen something similar in operation in a town house recently. The drying cupboard seems like a great idea too.

I wasn’t sure about the height of the TV in a fairly narrow room. Would this make for comfortable viewing for those on the couch directly opposite?

And what was the ‘in memory of Karl ….’ in the titles all about?

They had a side gate so I suspect their back garden backed into neighbours back garden.

I would be reluctant to block that up or making it really narrow. Dragging stuff grass cuttings etc through the house is a pain.

I don't understand why they had their bikes in the house when they could bring them into back garden easily enough.....think that was just for tv purposes.

They could have fitted an utility room in the design but let's face it , with the amount of clutter they had, it would have just turned into a dumping ground....out of sight out of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Was the the house in Limerick? The way the program was edited, I had concerns about how it would turn out as it went along, but they ended up doing an absolutely amazing job on it. Not picture perfect as you say but perfect at the same time. It was one of the only times watching those shows that I stood back and said that's amazing for what the spent.

I think one of the parents of the couple was a builder that helped out, wasn't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭meep

Those ceiling speakers for the cinema are always a very poor compromise.

8k a sq meter, a smsll 3sqm one would have added €24k

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭straight

Only if you're fool enough to pay it. They were looking for a few thousand to put an RSJ in downstairs. Fools and their money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Unfortunately, if it was easy for them to bring the bikes around the back, then it was also easy for someone to go around the back and steal them. Bikes get stolen in Dublin an awful lot. I suspect anyone bringing them indoors probably had one stolen before.

For the money spent, a utility room should really have been worked into it/stayed in the plans. He was lucky she got distracted by the fancy hot press. A bike rack/hanger in same utility room would could easily have been achieved.

We did up a very small 2 up 2 down house many years ago and managed/made sure to get a downstairs toilet and a small utility room in. Almost essential imo. Storing them in a fancy cupboard is still going to mean they can hear the washing machine in that lovely new "tranquil" space he created.

He made a big deal about listening to clients needs but one of the main issues the guy had was that he was sick of hearing the washing machine when trying to read. He's a (likeable) spoofer.

Advertisement