Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Energy infrastructure

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Well as of this precise instant, France has 67% of it's energy being nuclear sourced while here in Ireland, 58% of our electricity is being generated by burning gas, vs France's 12% from gas. Since France's nuclear fraction never falls below 60%, that I have seen, I'd say they are in a better position to make such a thing work that we would be.

I just took my wallet out of my right pocket and put in my left. Strangely, I felt no financial pain whatsoever.

By that logic we should be working faster to get more gas out of our generation mix

Although, as long as any gas remains in the mix, we are still going to be hit with the marginal pricing issue whereby the last source producing dictates the price.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Exactly we can be at 80% renewables in just 10 years.

It would take us at the very least 20 years to build even one Nuclear power planet and even then one reactor would only give us 10% of our power.

“Well as of this precise instant, France has 67% of it's energy being nuclear sourced while here in Ireland, 58% of our electricity is being generated by burning gas, vs France's 12% from gas.”

The fact that France uses so little gas, yet currently has some of the most expensive electricity in Europe clearly demonstrates two things.

1) The impact of marginal pricing and the fact that it is driven by gas at the moment.

2) Just how expensive Nuclear power is too. Horribly expensive to build Nuclear power plants, horribly expensive to maintain and repair them and horribly expensive to decommission them and handle the waste for decades to come. There really isn’t anything cheap about Nuclear power.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not against Nuclear power at all, I truly hope France can sort it’s issues and get their industry back in shape. But the nuclear industry is in really bad shape at the moment, it really isn’t looking good at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

This is an interesting from the Guardian which shows how the electricity market operates in the UK and how gas fits into this market. It clearly shows why changes are needed to get around the marginal pricing issue - especially when some operators are charging £6000 per MWh to fire up their plants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,015 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Heres a question I’ve being wondering:

we are hopefully going to get to 80% renewables by 2030 (highly doubtful if you ask me but anyway), which means fossil fuels (gas) will only be required 20% of the time- so over the year that’s approx 72 days- so what happens to the gas generators for the rest of the year regarding payment to the operators of the gas power station? They will have maintenance costs etc but they’ll have no way to pay for that as they can’t generate electricity- only when renewables aren’t generating- which would be 290 odd days of the year right?

Or have I got that arseways?

In Australia, base load coal fired power stations operators are announcing decade early closures, and it's putting governments in a spot. While they love what initially looks like cheap renewables that are zero CO2, they don't seem to like that there is no zero baseload generation to replace them with, and at least a few seem aware that replacing stable and reliable base load with variable sources might not be a great idea.

I think I have seen a notion for subsidising these operators to keep their plants open, by the same people who were responsinle for creating the conditions that lead to their operators wanting to decommission them early.

If the gas generators are subsidised for the 80% of time they are not generating are we not just paying for electricity generation twice- just to say we have an 80% renewable electricity generation system?

If so that’s crazy!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

On April 1st 2022 12:45 French nuclear production dropped to 47%. https://www.rte-france.com/en/eco2mix/power-generation-energy-source#

Fossil fuel was 14%. Renewables 40%. However there was also 7GW of imports representing 11% of what was locally produced. This meant French nuclear was only producing 42% of the electricity on the grid at that time and since a lot of the imports would have been German solar it's quite probable that renewables were producing more power than nuclear on the French grid at that time.

French nuclear had a 52.9% capacity factor last year. Having over 50 reactors is no guaranteed of reliability.

France, like the UK , US, Sweden and Canada and 20 other countries, hasn't started and completed a nuclear power plant in the last 30 years. We need a solution in 7 years.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Fast responding plants already get extra payments to be ready to provide more power. It's nothing new. There'll just be more of it.

Up to 400 workers at Moneypoint could through burn 2 million tonnes of coal a year. Fuel costs more than wages. Even cheap fuel like coal.

Baseload is on the way out anyway as we'll soon be able to handle up to 95% of power from non-synchronous generators. That just leaves 5% guaranteed demand, and that could be handled by things like hydro, waste to energy and biomass etc.

In 2024 we will have some gas stations that can go from off to full power in 6 minutes. So they don't need to be on for entire days, just on demand.

• Advertisement

So your saying we already pay an inflated price to keep gas plants in reserve so that we can generate electricity from renewables?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭gjim

Modern gas (both open-cycle and CCGT) power plants have low operational costs (don't require many workers, require little maintenance) and low capital costs (the main components are "mass" produced) so the cost of producing electricity by this method is largely driven by the cost of fuel.

This is in contrast to large steam-turbine coal and nuclear facilities where cap-ex is a major component and where varying the output is expensive, slow and dirty so such plants quickly become uneconomic if not operating 24/7.

For example, the average capacity factor for an open-cycle gas peaker in the USA is about 12% according to the EIA (even less than the 20% you suggest) - these plants have held this (demand following) niche for years and have been making money doing so even while idling 85% of the time - long before the recent phenomenal growth of renewables.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

80% target figures are a meaningless concept when one is taking about a variable source of energy dependent on weather conditions, especcially in a climate as variable as ours. Your notion that France has expensive power compared to us is laughable given the EU retail power prices in the link I posted

Yes I understand that- however we clearly have to pay the gas generators when we they are NOT generating otherwise why would they stay in the market?

So in effect we are paying twice for every renewable GWH generated- once for the renewable source and once for the gas source to keep it in the market for when we need it 20% of the time (by 2030).

Unless gas generators are happy to take a reduced rate for when they don’t generate which I wouldn’t understand from their business case?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Well, that is not so.

If I own a bus I can run a bus service like Dublin Bus where the bus is out all the hours there are passengers. Or I can run a school bus service that does two trips a day - morning and afternoon. The bus in the latter case might work 3 hours per day.

The capital cost is one charge for the gas plant while it is working or not. The fuel cost only kicks in when it is generating. The business model is based on a certain percentage of operation, and is balanced by a fixed charge for its availability on standby. The prediction of wind production is quite good, so there is plenty of notice for the gas plant to start up.

Now, my electricity bill has a fixed charge for the connection, and a usage charge. That is the way it is. There is no double charge.

This has nothing to do with renewables - it's called the capacity market and it has always been around. If your plant has the facility to rapidly respond to demand, then you can bid in this market. The bids are to provide spare capacity (i.e. power availability MW) and promise to make it available to the grid on demand. You're effectively being paid to keep capacity idling/in reserve as a fall back for meeting demand. Thus the bids are in (derated) MW and not energy units - like MWh - which confused the hell out of most of the journalists who reported on the last auction.

Every grid, regardless of its generation mix requires and has always required spare capacity in this form.

Since 2010 coal fired electricity in the USA has declined 52%.

Due to the Inflation Reduction Act (IRA), which includes a 10% tax credit for projects located in nearby communities in coal areas , the Dry Fork facility in Wyoming is now the only coal power plant that's still cheaper than either solar or wind.

Baseload is on the way out "operating at high output when plentiful clean energy resources operate at zero marginal cost is a waste of fuel"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Fracked gas has been the game changer in the US in terms of coal use

Yes it was.

And it killed off poorly performing nuclear plants too.

But emissions have to be reduced so natural gas will be a transitional fuel used for peaking when renewables aren't available until such time as other generators , storage (including energy to fuel) , demand reduction take over it's role.

Natural gas has half the CO2 as coal for the same heat. But on top of that CCGT plant is nearly twice as efficient with that heat as older coal plant. So there's a lot less CO2 emissions from it than coal, and gas is quicker to ramp up and down so less fuel burnt for standby too. It's a lesser evil, for now.

Sorry I’m still confused- how are we not paying twice?

We pay renewables generator for generating.

We pay gas generator for generating.

We pay gas generator for getting ready to generate according to wind forecast. (So we are paying gas plus renewables here)

Are you saying we won’t pay gas generators to be ready for the 80% of the time we won’t need them in 2030?

• Advertisement

But what’s in it for the gas generator to wait around and only get paid when they are needed which by 2030 will be 20% of the time and declining from them on out?

I don't know how to make it any clearer.

Capacity auctions have nothing to do with renewables. An intrinsic cost of running a grid is paying for redundant capacity to deal with unexpected demand spikes or interruptions in supply.

If you want a grid that can reliably mean demand, then the grid MUST have redundancy in the form of generator capacity which (hopefully) lies idle most of the time.

Think of it as a form of insurance that a grid operator must pay. Like the way airlines pay cash every year for the option to hire aircraft as short notice; a lot of the time they don't need it "so the money is wasted" but it still makes business sense.

You are also confusing (I think) two completely different segments of the market: the capacity market and the normal wholesale market.

Yes so we are paying the renewable generator and we are paying the gas generator redundancy at the same time- no?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yes, but regardless of our method of production, we would be doing the same. If we had 100% coal plants, we'd need back up for them, so would be paying someone, somewhere to keep a plant ready in case a coal plant goes down. These days, gas plants are the best at acting as a backup, as they can be brought online very quickly. Batteries are changing that picture somewhat, as their response time is measured in the low seconds, but capacity is an issue there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

What is hard to understand.

We pay renewables a rate for energy generated. This is basically a capital cost since wind is free when it blows. Competition will limit any overcharge (so they say - believe that if you like).

The gas generation will carry two levels of charge for the producer/generation company - a stand-by charge for being available - and a fuel charge during generation. If there was no need for gas, then just the stand-by would apply.

Energy cost should be very competitive - whether it is might be a different story - but wind is a good product because long time running cost is low, and capital cost is up front. Gas also has a well known cost structure but the fuel cost is not known long term. If it only represents 20% of energy grid costs, it will not be a huge element.

Solar and tidal are two extra sources of energy that need to be factored in, plus storage to cover short term under generation, and of course the various interconnectors.

So gas could be a small element.

Well I understand now that we pay renewables for what they generate but at the same time we pay gas a standby charge and a full payment when gas is needed to generate.

So in effect we are paying twice for renewables.

Do we know what percentage the standby is off the full rate?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

"Well I understand now that we pay renewables for what they generate but at the same time we pay gas a standby charge and a full payment when gas is needed to generate."

You keep saying Renewables, but they do the exact same in France. They pay gas plants to standby if there is a sudden increase in demand or if a Nuclear plant suddenly goes offline.

It is the same in Poland, that uses coal for it's baseload. They have gas plants on standy, if there is a sudden increase in demand or if a coal plant suddenly goes offline.

If we built a Nuclear power plant tomorrow, we would also have to keep gas plants on standby, to deal with peaks or if the Nuclear plant went offline suddenly.

This is just a normal part of the resiliency of any grid, no matter what technologies they use. Peaker plants, spinning reserves, frequency services, etc.

Think of a data center. They are connected to the grid and mostly use grid power. But they also have big banks of batteries and Diesel generators on standby outside, to keep the data center going, if the mains power was to go out. They pay a lot of money for those batteries and generators and fuel for those generators and their maintenance, even if never used. It is just part of the cost of operating a resilient service.

I agree you should be able to ask the question and discuss the issue.

The thing is that you're obviously intelligent enough to understand the principle of paying for backup/redundancy as a cost of doing business in many other sectors of the economy. But you keep claiming to "not understand" when it comes to such a cost being associated with running a grid - which to be honest is hard to believe, given how straightforward the concept is.

And you repeatedly link this idea (of having grid backup capacity/redundancy) with renewables even though many have pointed out that it's a feature of all grids, regardless of the generation mix. This makes me think your problem is with renewables, not the grid capacity market.

So it feels like you're deliberately "refusing to understand" as a sort of passive aggressive way of argumentation which kinda wastes everyones time and suggests your "question" isn't a genuine question at all.

And it frustrates people - which is probably the reason for Sam' irritated tone.

Perhaps watch this video. My link will start you part way in for the bit where Yanis explains that the energy market is complicated and was designed like that to hoodwink the electricity consumers of Europe. If that bit grabs your interest, you might perhaps like to start from the beginning, as he's worth hearing.

Yanis Varoufakis was formerly an economist at Valve, the game company, and Finance Minister of Greece.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I haven't laughed that hard in the longest time, thanks! Yanis **** Varoufakis! I love how you simply put "finance minister of Greece" at the end, leaving out that he was the finance minister responsible for turning what was a bad situation in Greece into an utter catastrophe.

Advertisement