Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

https://www.ft.com/content/fd29c715-8d12-459c-980e-11b58a4a374c - How London’s property market became an inheritocracy

Interesting read with similar sentiments to those often expressed in here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭The Student

The squeezed middle are ready to burst. I actually agree those in the middle pay for everything.

From my straw man poll with people in my social and work environment people are becoming very frustrated at how they are being treated in terms of income taxes they pay and the overall everyday costs they must cover without any State assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ingo1984

It's a disaster in Limerick. I work there and the company has been understaffed for the past year and any successful job applicants end up turning down job offer as there is nowhere affordable to rent to live. Alot of other companies in the area feeling the same pinch. It was raised by numerous companies at a recent chamber of commerce and IDA meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭J_1980

Dublin property if far more affordable than London. If you cap your search at 400k max you’re still left with half the search results for Dublin.

problem is most are apartments, in “poor people’s areas”, or need a little DIY. The “housing crisis” (talking about buying) is largely an entitlement crisis. Unlike rents, that’s a genuine issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭J_1980

looking on daft, property is so insane cheap to buy in Limerick city.

simply don’t understand people. What a massive “entitlement crisis”

”3bed semi in blackrock - nothing else”… kind of people.

just buy this. A couple on min wage is not miles away from being able to afford this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

an entitlement crisis lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭combat14

typical conversation around ireland up for conversation on cork red fm today below - anyone buying a house now needs to drop their bids interest rates are set to rise again in feb, march, may and june as previous poster mentionned we haven't seen anything like full effect of interest rate rises in market yet:

"HOW CAN WE LIVE LIKE THIS?

'My tracker mortgage has gone up €300 since last July. I'm hearing bankers are now calling for another 1% increase to ‘offset inflation', which would make a €400 increase in less than a year. On top of that, our gas bill for the last two months is now €645. It has tripled from this time last year! How can we live like this?'

Is the ever increasing cost of living affecting you?"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,989 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Prices have to fall or people won't be getting mortgages it's as simple as that. The 4x LTV max is all well in good but when your getting stress tested at 6 or 7% banks will be slow to give these loans out.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ingo1984

Don't worry. The government will conjure up another policy to keep the bubble inflating.

Definitely, not long until mortgage interest relief is brought back to keep demand high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Beigepaint

There’s still lots of bubble inflating tricks yet to be deployed.

6x LTI for first time buyers could be next.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

That's what was unveiled in England last November, it was reduced from 8 months in arrears to 2 months in arrears then you qualify for mortgage interest relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭Villa05

Moving from 3.5 times income to 4 potentially adds a year's salary to the price of a home. If councils are buying up any semi affordable homes, will it even matter as they will be outbidding first time buyers with there money meaning they will have to tax you more to outbid you.

We really are pushing the boundaries of stupidity

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

At this stage, I think we need to throw away the idea that those in power are stupid. Whilst there are certainly horrifyingly incompetent people in the government and state bureaucracy, what they are doing, to me, can only be explained by ascribing it to overall malicious and sinister intent. The state serves the ends of globalism, and globalism wants more growth.

Honestly, it's not just housing that is in crisis. Virtually all social systems are in decline due to an excess of demand. I don't see any good ending for any of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

I'm seething. The anger I have for this government is off the wall. I hate these fcukers.

I have a decent wage yet the prospect of ever owning a new home is impossible. I could afford a 2nd hand 2bed apartment but it would be around 52 sqm and old and not nice at all. It would also require me to have around 40k deposit + 5k fees + 1k at least in appliances.

Now, I do have that money. But even still, my mortgage would be 1200 a month. Add in bills and you're basically looking at half of your income just on affording the mortgage and bills. Half of the income from a stressful job just to afford a pokey matchbox. Disgusting thought.

I was looking at things a couple years ago and my mortgage now would costs 350 more per month than before. That's 700 pre tax income. That's 8500 in gross salary I would need to equal the same level of pay as 2 years ago.

I hate this government. I hope the whole thing crashes, if I go down as well, I'll take it.

Interesting developments in Mallow,

The state is providing rapid build housing for refugees from Ukraine. Apparently the units have a 60 year life span. Would be interesting to see the cost per unit.

Appears to have progressed so quickly that locals were not consulted

Hopefully these will be a huge success and that the those increasing the price of concrete blocks/products are taking notes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

I recently bought a house outside of Dublin because it was that or a crumby apartment. I am, however, miserable there. It's not a bad town, and the neighbours are good people, but I am totally out of my comfort zone, away from friends an family and just lonely all the time.

If a crash were to happen tomorrow, I'd be in serious financial difficult. However, like you I'd happily face that rather than see this s**t show continue and have another generation thrown to wolves to keep this ponzi scheme alive. May it crumble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

Its comical Gabriel Makhlouf ie the guy who the ECB recommended Ireland not appoint is at home raising LTI limits (lifting demand) while simultaneously wanting more ECB rate rises (dampening demand).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,143 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Other modular houses were criticised recently for costing 100k more per unit than similar on the continent.

If that's really the case then the thing to do would be to attract those providers in from there.

Affordability appears to be there main issue, so current policy of driving up prices to "ahem" increase supply is falling short

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I have pity for your situation but what is your alternative? are you currently renting

1.rent a house for the rest of your life and spend as much on rent as would cover the mortage of someplace that you could call home

2.is not there where there is gov. scheme where they pay half the price of house and retain that half as equity that you can purchase in 20 years time

3.Get on the social housing waiting list and maybe end up living next door to gods knows who in your old age

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

I dont know how their mind works at all but they paid 800k for a 4 bed house that was falling down near my Dads house about a year and a half ago. It was boarded up for a while. It will be over €1m spent on buying and doing up that house before they are finished. There were loads of other 4 beds for sale at the time in towns less than 10 mins drive away for half that price. I think they have a target amount to spend and they dont care about value or number of houses they get for it.

Problem with them is a 60 year lifespan structure isn't going to get a mortgage, they would be strictly cash buyers or the state builds them en masse for social housing.

The fact they can knock these out quick for €125,000 a 2 bed unit is criminal we haven't been building them long before the refugee crisis.

Can someone tell me why we are stilling building so many 3/4 bed semi-detached? Surely terraced housing is cheaper and quicker to build?

There was a comparison done with a development in Kildare and similar sized locations across Europe. The Labour costs in Ireland were below the average. What stood out in the comparison was the cost of doors 3 to 4k mentioned, footpaths, green areas,

The costs appear extortionate here, would be worth an investigation

So I was just on the phone to the management company of the apartment im selling to make sure my management fees are up to date and get stuff like fobs and keys in order etc. Had a very interesting conversation when i told him i wanted to get the fees in order as I was selling. There are over 150 apartments in the development. He told me that the council have so far bought 22 apartments over the last few years. Every one of them are former landlords who were selling up. I asked him about the other 2 i saw for sale as well as my own. Landlords selling too he said. Then he told me that the council had at least another 18 apartments leased and he knows because he is the one who has to call the owners of those apartments about the anti social behaviour of those tenants and then gets told to talk to the council, who wont talk to him. He said that he doesnt know how many others are rented by the council, he only finds out the ones that are if there is trouble. But of the owners who he has had to contact about their tenants, they (all of them) said they are selling as soon as their leases are up with the council too.

So glad we decided to sell up already after that conversation.

When we went looking for a house we 100% wanted detached. Theres not so many of them around compared to semis and terraced houses and they were in big demand. People dont want to live in terraced houses anymore if they can help it.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

The alternative is buy and 'lock in' the depressing though that I'd spend the next 25 years spending half of my salary from my stressful job just on mortgage/utility bills.

There's always a tiny bit of hope, but sure isn't it the hope that kills ya. Surely covid would drop prices? Oh no, government are the only country in europe to ban house construction. And increase the help to buy as well. Surely interest rates will drop prices? Oh no, central bank increase lending limit driving prices higher.

I know we'd all like semi or detached but people will take what they can get.

• Advertisement

Are you sure about that, 60 years would easily be the lifetime of the mortgage holders given the current ftb average age.

Mortgage holder/owner would also be more incentivised take care of it to maximise its life

Many pernament houses are stripped and renovated in a 60 year cycle, possibly more than once. Getting a new modular may be cheaper and quicker, whereas the old modular could be up/recycled

Advertisement