Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Room to Improve (v2)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭straight

People need to educate themselves about it maybe. I have it on most of my farm buildings and I know all the drawbacks and issues of which there are many. I wouldn't even put it on the milking parlour.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Duvet Day

I loved it and think that they are a lovely couple, they seem to be very united after a long marriage , that's an achievement imo.

The wife was very gracious in the end, it really must have been a long project and stressful plus she probably wanted it finished before her surgery. I enjoyed watching an older couple for a change...have to say I'm now worried that my bathroom wont be suitable when I'm older.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Hard to see where the cash went on that small house. A shell with stud walls... It does look great though and hopefully they have many happy years there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Yeah I loved it too.

I could happily walk in and have my clutter destroying it in 2 seconds flat and live a peaceful life.

I hope they've many happy years together in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,324 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

She wasn’t a salesperson. She was an occupational therapist, an expert in advising people on the kind of facilities they need to be able to live independently and safely, as they get older. They really should have listened to her more.

She would have advised Dermot not to have two steps at the entrance, even with a token ramp at the side.

And no solar panels, bit of a missed opportunity.

Multi taskers I thought, not grafters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Duvet Day

I definitely thought she said multitaskers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Deeec

The kitchen she wanted would have fitted in perfectly in the new house. It was beautiful - neutral and inoffensive.

Instead she got a tiny painted plywood kitchen shoe horned into the corner, as per usual Dermot designs. A tiny hob, a tiny sink - completely impractical for a lady who likes cooking. Also after complaining about overhead units he gave her.... short overhead units.

Its clear Dermot does not cook or he wouldnt skimp so much on the kitchens. I never like his kitchen designs. I think he thinks kitchens are just for putting cereal in a bowl every morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭mykrodot

to be fair there is only so much you need as you get older for cooking, you don't need a big range, a big sink. They are just 2 people. If there is any entertaining for them I am sure it will be down in the bigger house as most events will probably be family events. They also probably have a dishwasher (most modern kitchens do) so they don't need a huge sink. Likewise hob, a lot of us use Airfryers these days. You really don't need a huge kitchen apart from stogage once your family is reared and gone.

I dont agree. She said she enjoys cooking and retired people actually spend more time cooking because they have more free time. She also will have grandchildren up and down to her which Im sure she will be cooking for and baking with etc. Of course she has a dishwasher but not everything can be washed in a dishwasher - a large sink is very useful for cleaning large pots and pans etc. She wont have much room for storing an air fryer once she fills them presses with food, glassware, crockery, utensils, cookware etc.

She would struggle even to cook a roast dinner for the family in that kitchen and on that little hob. Its always the same with Dermot - he gives cheap lousy impractical kitchens. He should have listened to the woman and gave her a decent kitchen which she was hoping for. She will be ripping Dermots kitchen out before long because its not practical. He must think nobody cooks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭gooner99

My Bungalow bliss was 50% fees covered. Fees were calculated based on percentage of budget as per RIAI. So big fees I'd imagine, as I remember those projects being pretty expensive.

That's an absolute joke. Make a television episode about your life and house and not even pay the full fees.

I wonder how much the z listers are getting on dancing with the stars... RTE honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭appledrop

Eh we don't all use Airfryers! We certainly don't and my parents who are are a similar age to this couple wouldn't even know what they are.

I don't agree with them not wanting to host get together in their house, we have a much bigger house then my parents but we always have Christmas Dinner in my parents because my mother loves hosting it( and is a much better cook then me!)

In a lot of families the parents house will always be central hub for family events even if smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭mykrodot

I suppose I was basing it on the fact both the older parents and the younger parents with the kids share the same site so its not like travelling over to the parents so maybe the bigger house would be the house to host. Also judging by the lady's upcoming knee replacement and the fact that Hugh seemed a lot older and a bit more frail, since the initial episode, I felt the younger generation might do more of the hosting. It becomes more of a chore to people if they start to have health and joint problems, even arthritis makes food prep harder. But its only my opinion, it doesn't mean I am right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭appledrop

Oh I know what you mean mykrodot, none of us know what that family will do, I've just seen with other families when say one sibling builds on family land next door but everyone still prefers going to parents house even if it's old and falling apart!

Maybe people just feel more comfortable in parents house rather than their sibling🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭frash

Amazed nobody has mentioned the poor newborn baby's head flopping all over the place when they sat down for the staged cup of tea

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Flowergirl201

I did say it to my husband about the poor babies head

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

I renovated all my barns with it about 20 years ago, and have had no issues with it.

I really like how it looks myself, but would probably go with a standing seam roof myself.

I saw a house recently is Roscommon with a corrugated roof, but think it was a particle cement board. Looked really nice.

Barns are all it's fit for. Budget material that's not good enough for any dwelling house. The lads a couple of generations ago used it to replace thatch and then replaced that with slate when they could afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,249 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

No drama in it at all anymore, always enough money even when it goes over budget, no agruments with the builder and everything goes accoring to plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I wonder how they got on climbing or driving up there in the frosty weather. I noticed a drop at one side, reverse over that and you'd probably end up in the lake.

Was that big drop outside a sliding door? They seemed to be leaving the cars on the road outside from the drone shots. Nice couple I thought.

Yeah that slope isnt great for elderly people - especially given the lady had knee problems. In years to come as they age they wont even be able to walk down to their daughters house.

As you say driving that slope in cold weather wouldnt be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Just watching the episode there. I don't know why they didn't just go with the same roof finish as the renovation on their original house.

I skimmed through a lot of the episode, was there much discussion about the roof? Apart from when the went to view the other house by Tierney Haynes. But again, that one had standing seam. I know there's cost involved. But did they have their arm twisted by Dermot or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭GAAcailin

She (Carmel) kept using his name in every sentence that came from her mouth - that is a pet hate of mine. Know a few people that do that when talking to me and it annoys me - I know my own name 🤦‍♀️

was more of a downsizing project rather than one that will suit their future needs. Didn’t like the black tarmac driveway

• Registered Users Posts: 12,716 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Just not buying the whole old couple in their 70’s with black kitchen presses etc. just so unhomely

• Registered Users Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I hate that too. I find it very patronizing. I also find it an attempt to intimidate and belittle a person. Very school ma'amish!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

There was a glass panel right in front of the sliding door on the outside. I got the impression they built it that way in order to potentially build a deck there in future which would be quite nice actually. Otherwise a big expensive sliding door doesn't really make sense, if you just wanted to be able open up that area on warm days then there are cheaper window options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mollser

Quite a few aspects about that build bugged me...

Their view was not a patch on the original house, trees to the left blocked by far the most spectacular part of the view. This may have been a planning permission thing

No outdoor space to sit in

It really needed a terrace to the front. The lovely sliding doors just opened to a big... drop🤣. Daughters house had a lovely terrace.

Some nice aspects also though, it's some site!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,076 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I love their filing system, similar to my own, everything is to hand immediately when needed 😁

Advertisement