Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭OldRio

Lions are now shipping injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭randomname2005

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Strand1970

at the minimum connacht are getting into the Grove for the rest of the season. Wouldn't read nothing into tonight performance as lions are not great but for confidence it good

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭AccidentallyOnside

Lions made mistakes and weren't amazing but we played well today.

They had a massive pack and we really nullified them and were on top, even got the nudge on a couple of times against one of the leagues best scrummagers.

Hat tip to Carty too, takes an awful lot of stick here but has been an excellent player for us and rightly goes down as a connacht legend 👏

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

I completely agree on all aspects of your post. I think its quite the minority who are bashing Aki. He has been the most important player ever for Connacht in my opinion. Hes just not playing enough for Connacht with Irish commitments. I think Friend could have worked in this DOR style role if Wilkins wasn't his understudy. His record before and during his time with Connacht is not great.

Didn't get to see the game tonight but delighted they got a hat full. Into 10th position now with Munster only 7 points clear in 6th. Every game is do or die now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Hes just not playing enough for Connacht with Irish commitments. 

Well not really, he could played six of the eight games prior to tonight, but was only picked for three (I think). There's something very wrong and tbh, I don't see any reason to assume Friend is the issue. It was reported last week that there was a 'disciplinary issue' before Christmas, and of course he missed five URC games due to his suspension earlier in the season - a suspension which was compounded by his behaviour to the referee, which didn't reflect well on him or his attitude at all.

His Ireland commitments aren't the reason he's played so little this year, but I hope for Ireland's sake it gets sorted because we need all our guys playing regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

I never said Friend was the issue with Aki not playing enough. If he was disciplined fair enough and of course the suspension contributed but I meant since he started playing for Ireland he simply hasn't been available like all Irish regulars. I believe it affects him not having a run of games and playing more regularly at Connacht. He struggled a bit when he arrived but until the last 2 seasons he was phenomenal for Connacht. He just doesn't seem to slot back in and do the job he used to but can when he is in the Irish setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Congrats to Jack for taking from Eric Elwood as leading points scorer at Connacht. He got a warm applause from all for his achievement.

Felt a bit sorry for Bolton. He doesn't get many chances and because of that there is that extra pressure to perform.

Was a fast paced game and entertaining to watch. The Murray's were at it again. How good are they

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

A lot to be happy about today. A 5/0 points split with close rivals, and our captain sealed his place as a club legend. Our scrum coped well with a pack that destroyed Munster, and we systematically picked apart their lineout. A lot of people seem to be calling for a complete clear out of the coaching staff but Senekaal and Tucker are doing a good job imo.

Cathal Forde looks excellent, he is extremely robust in contact and has good skills, which allows him to take the ball to the line and either win the collision or release a pass at the last moment, really hard to defend that. Have always seen him as a 12 but it seems like either he or Hawkshaw will be needed at 10 over the next couple of seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,887 ✭✭✭TRC10

I know Jamie Osborne has been getting huge hype over the last few weeks. But honestly, Cathal Forde has impressed me just as much. I thought he was class again last night. Absolute physical specimen, can kick, can distribute, carries brilliantly and scores tries. He's justifiably keeping Bundee out of the team and I don't see how he gets back in. Connacht have a serious player on their hands. If he played for Leinster or Munster he'd be getting rave reviews across the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,892 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Agree re: forde, absolutely a great prospect. Could be Aki's replacement. Hawkshaw looks brilliant also. Great pick up for Connacht. Massively talented young lads in the squad.

Both Murray's, Kilgallen and potentially Illo will be fixtures in this team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KBurke85

Ya the future looks bright with those guys. I know you don’t like Friend as a coach and all that but you have to give him credit for bringing those guys through and giving them opportunities

This is a key point. Friend will be leaving us in much better shape than he got us in every way. Look at the squad he inherited (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018%E2%80%9319_Connacht_Rugby_season) compared to the one he will leave, there's very little fat and good young players with decent experience in most positions.

Not going to drag anyone but there was some extremely average players at the club when he arrived, the fact that several disappeared from the professional game after leaving us tells you all you need to know.

As an aside can the poster who constantly criticises Jack for kicking down the middle of the pitch, please refer to the sequence of play around the 49 minute work where we gained a huge amount of territory because he split and turned the Lions backfield and forced them to rush a kick to touch.

Agreed re: the squad. They've done well. Some great additions. Hansen obviously, along with Hawkshaw. Great pick ups. Josh Murphy adds grunt and physicality and Dooley at least offers experience.

I'd be delighted to see Tierney-Martin get himself into the mix a little more. I really thought this lad would be an international player, just look at Stewart up in Belfast.

The next coach will be important. There's lots to work with.

My bad Zeugnis. Hadn't paid enough attention to the replacements as they happened

I assume that would be me. My issue is related to kicking down the middle when the referee has already identified that you are inside your 22 and free to kick for touch. With our lineout probably being the best in the league there is no excuse to not hit touch from inside your 22. And credit to Jack he did that every time last night. But if you were to look at the Leinster game vs Connacht that was not the case.

There is so much to be positive about. The Murray's are of international quality. JB has really upped his game as has TOH.

Forde is incredible. Tom Farrell has had a tough time after coming back from injury but he is coming back to his best.

Conor Oliver is playing amazing stuff. Peter Dooley is a great addition to the front row. Had hoped DTM would push on and be the best hooker in Ireland and there is still time for that.

And as for Connacht's player of the year, well I hope that will be Finlay. He gives as much to Connacht every weekend as he gives to Ireland

Might have been done to death... but what's going on with Aki and Connacht? Keep hearing podcasts alluding to some kind of rift?

We'll probably never find out exactly what happened. Every squad has problems from time to time. We just didn't manage to sort out this one in the background like we should have. Andy Friend has said that Bundee will be at Connacht next season. We already know he's contracted until the end of the 23/24 season and what little info I've heard locally confirms that he won't be moving to another Irish province this Summer.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Bundee's poor form and discipline for Connacht in the past couple of seasons came to a boiling point and he acted unprofessionally towards management and teammates. Friend and Wilkins did a poor job of handling the internal unofficial suspension which understandably led people to connect 2+2 with a Munster rumour. It resulted in Jarrad Butler needing to basically confirm Bundee would be at Connacht next season and since then management have also hinted that he's here for another season.

Just a sloppy shop all-round for a professional outfit.

Connacht won't need him much longer. The young lads are making a statement. Bundee Is getting older and won't be the player he was.

Had figured there was something going on but the fact that Bundee acted unprofessionaly towards management and team members is new. Bundee has always been a bit of a loose cannon. Even if he has a contract extension you would have to wonder if that is relevant if what is being said is true. He just doesn't seem to be a happy bunny at Connacht and that has to impact performance

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Gaztric

Just saw this. Donnacha Byrne must not have been offered a senior contract and is off to Sao Paulo. Very interesting. As I am new on here, I cannot post a link!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kita99

Now the time is that the team and fans consiider only the rest games.

The fixture.18th Feb vs zebre (A), 4th Mar vs dragons (A), 25th mar vs Edinburgh (H),1th Apr vs Benetton(challenge cup=A),15th Apr vs Cadiff (H), 22th Apr vs glasgow (A). (1)Which way to abandon Benneton game or not? (2) How fight against strong side last 3 teams (especially Glasgow)? (1) abandon imo. (2) 1) scrum,scrum,scrum, 2) never 3 openside FLs, 3)always use Murrays at the same time and Murphy or Dowling at 6. Prendargust at 8. I remember anbigously N.Murray was at 8 temporary in U20 Ireland.He is very fast as same as Prendargust.Anyway,Connacht should utilize the stlength of line-out .And fix back-line members as possible.In Blasgow there is Richie Gray (who is in Scotland squads this year).For Connacht most unpleasant one he is.And their 3rd row members is huge and strong ttraditionally maybe Butler or SHL cannot deal them .So scrum will be more important.No 8 of edinburgh is huge and fast MATA and maybe Faletau in Cardiff.Both are stronger than above connacht 2 player obviously.Even if Boyle become fit again,it will be very hard challenge.What is Connacht can is using big player as possible and hard and hard work, These are all my individual opinion. GOOD LUCK.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

In all fairness Bundee is a heart on his sleeve guy... Probably pissed off missing so much of the season..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I'm sure he was, but shouldn't he then have been even more keen to make up for lost time by training and playing his heart out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

I usually only see Connacht highlights on YouTube but of late Blade has been sparkling in the ones I’ve sampled. He’s got such great instincts when attacking around the scrum. I hope to see another game or two in the flesh this spring.

Have to say Jackman is both useless as a coach and a commentator. His pronunciation of the Murraahh brothers as compared to Conor Murray pronunciation just says he just wants to please. Never mind his analysis is as good as his coaching

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Well you don't say their name the same way as you'd say Conor Murrays. He's right the emphasis is on the ray

Advertisement