Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 5/1/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Hamachi

It’s time for a radical overhaul of the asylum system in Ireland, and frankly across the broader EU. Whilst zero asylum is unlikely, it should be re-framed as ‘minimal’. Some initial policies include:

1. Application is not entertained if you destroy your documentation having previously boarded a flight.
    2. Cross an EU border in an irregular manner and you’re immediately returned to the third party country from which you entered.
    3. Your application will be heard within three months with zero appeals. If rejected, you either self-deport or you will be forcibly removed.
    4. Commit a crime of any nature whilst waiting on adjudication of your claim and you shall be forcibly removed.
    5. If you’ve submitted an asylum claim in another EU member state, you will be returned there for processing.
    6. Accommodation provided whilst waiting on adjudication of your application will be basic, dormitory style. Your basic nutritional and medical needs will be met. You do not have access to education or the labor market.

Some initial thinking to achieve the minimal asylum target. Longer term, the EU should look at establishing safe zones in North Africa and the Middle East.

Asylum claims are processed from there and only those claims submitted from these newly established locales shall be entertained. Those who prove to have a legitimate claim are distributed across the EU block in an equitable manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

• Registered Users Posts: 23,464 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

How many new arrivals became homeless last night? How many more tonight...the public are in for a shock in the next few weeks. The scale of this crisis will become very visible on the streets in a way it has never been up until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,758 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

"Longer term, the EU should look at establishing safe zones in North Africa and the Middle East."

Exactly, create the conditions so that people dont need to migrate in the first place. Although with constant wars and desertification I'm not sure where you'll even begin.

Exactly if each officer identifies and deport only 5 a year, they have probably paid their own wages

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Governments inabilities and refusals to invest in public services isnt the fault of migrants/asylum seekers or refugees.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I think it needs to be said that long term we need legal immigration. We have an aging population. We need younger people.

I would also like to state that most of our immigrants are bright and hard working. As a teacher I can say their children generally work harder than irish kids. Cause less behaviour issues

So I have no issue with continous immigration but I have to wonder where they find accommodation. But generally I'm sure that's fixed up before they arrive

We are full and can't take any more non Ukrainian refugees

We need to encourage people to have more children, yet we leave people paying extortionate amounts, that mean many struggle to justify more than one child.

In addition we are in a massive single market in the EU, there is no reason we cannot get legal immigration from there.

Very few have a problem with the majority of legal migration (although I personally think we should look to EU before non EU to fill roles more).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

We need to encourage people to have more children, yet we leave people paying extortionate amounts, that mean many struggle to justify more than one child.

We do, but first and foremost we should be creating conditions that keep our youth here, as there's no point trying to create a baby boom, when they'll just have to leave the nation eventually because there's nothing here for them.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Totally agree with this. Bringing in low paid workers to pay for pensions (they don't, we have a very progressive tax system) is just a pyramid scheme.

We need to make people feel they will an even playing field if they work hard. The mass buying of housing stock for social by the government serves only to contribute to this feeling of unfairness (as an example).

We have 13k or so in DP at the moment, where are these going to live? Majority will likely need state support. And no it's not their fault, it is the fault of this country, its leaders and its media class

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭NeutralHandle

Leave

Leave the nation to go where?

Conditions are better here than most places.

On the aging population angle, it is true that the Irish population pyramid is aging. However, this isn't nearly as acute an issue, as it is in East Asia (Japan, China, Korea, Taiwan, Singapore) or specific countries in Eastern and Southern Europe.

The Irish fertility rate was very close to replacement level, generally acknowledged as 2.05 for a highly developed economy, from 2000 through 2016/2017. However, it did drop to 1.7/1.8 from 2017 through 2019, hitting a nadir of 1.6 in 2020, during the first and second waves of Covid. The good news is that for the first two QRs of 2022, the fertility rate re-bounded by 16%, to the point that it's almost touching 1.9. Really not far from replacement rate at all.

In fact, the Irish population grows naturally (births - deaths) by ~30K annually. Our population pyramid is also relatively robust, with 22% of the population < 14 years old and 33% < 25 years old. With the right mix of family-friendly policies, there is no reason why sustainable, replacement-level fertility cannot be achieved in Ireland. Our fertility rate has proven remarkably robust, despite the appalling policies of successive governments.

My wife is also a teacher and has taught in an immigrant-dominated school in West Dublin. I'm afraid she does not share your views on immigrant students from particular backgrounds. However, that's a discussion for another day..

Are you serious? You clearly don't know how many young people are leaving Ireland at the minute. In my own family anyway, at least half of my younger cousins have left the nation in the last few months. How in the world can our conditions be good, when one of the most important things, renting/buying, is turning into a luxury and not a norm. Nothing else matters when you can't even get near to one of the most basic necessities.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Honesty Policy

Are you serious!?

In my school and town, we have nothing but social and behavioural issues from immigrant children who have arrived here in the last 10 years. My own daughter was subjected to severe bullying by a group of girls whose families arrived here in the last 10 years, who have not worked a day in their lives here and most of them have been handed A rated social houses. It makes me sick. This town was always a respectful place with families who worked hard with great community spirit. It is so sad what it happening here.

I was in the playground in the summer enjoying watching my children play and one of the new feral teenage gangs came in and started to try to damage the play things. I was intimidated and left.

That's not to say that there are not New Irish families who are a great asset to the town but unfortunately, they are in the minority.

True, but those who wash up on our shores, lodging spurious asylum claims are culpable. A message needs to be sent far-and-wide, that Ireland is not a welcoming place for those who intend to subvert the asylum process.

History will judge Roderick O'Gorman and his infamous 'come hither' tweets extremely harshly. A correction is inevitable as more pragmatism enters the discourse around asylum seeking.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

We are getting somewhere that you admit it is true.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I'd really love to know how modern Ireland was built by Poles & Turks

Agreed. It's great to see you acknowledge that a significant % of asylum claims are spurious. Could this finally be a damascene moment?

Progressives feel uncomfortable at suggestions that we encourage Irish people to have larger families ( makes them get a Victor Orban vibe) yet enthusiastically support increasing the population through immigration from non western nations

I don’t even see the point of how Irish people who went to America etc and didn’t receive welfare supports as being terribly relevant, nor do I think we have any responsibility to take in people from Nigeria etc just because “ the Irish went everywhere “

im more focused on why no one is asking why the current course is inherently assumed to be the correct one and by correct I mean to the long term benefit of the country, a countries culture is a precious unique thing , importing huge amounts of people from altogether different cultures has to change a host country, it’s foolish to expect folks from far flung lands to not change the country, they are shaped by their own unique cultural background so can’t be expected to be “ new Irish “

no conversation has been had at all about whether reshaping the country radically is what’s desired or in the interests of the people long term, that in of itself is extremely unhealthy and potentially dangerous

• Advertisement

Totally agree. No more so in given Croke Park over for Eid. A festival for a sexist backwards religion in our national stadium is proclaimed as progressive and a sign of how great we are.

And yes I am aware Catholicism isn't great

Where are they going? Rents are crazy alright, but the cost of living crisis isn't specifically an Irish thing.

Mainly Australia and the UK. Whatever about general cost of living stuff, we're literally one of the worst nations in the world at the minute when it comes to housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Yes Sir.

And it’s just common sense at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,266 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

This lack of public consultation on immigration policy is what will really cause problems down the line. I urge all to write to / contact your local public representatives and express concern. I've done so and strongly recommended that the state engages with citizens to explain the pros and cons of immigration strategy and that this should be followed by a public vote. Otherwise we are playing with fire and it's going to get hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,266 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

When the alternative is living with Mam & Dad well into your 30s, far off fields look a sight more attractive. Round here, Aus seems to be popular.

There is no reason we couldn’t switch to an Australian style immigration and asylum seeker system, it would make the NGO ( and their media lackeys ) apoplectic but let those NGO operatives put their name on a ballot paper instead of having their hands up the current excuse for elected politicians , what’s happening now is a subversion of our democracy

It’s not racist to be conservative on this matter

• Registered Users Posts: 39,572 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The harsh realities of today's Ireland has landed us into emigration all over again in case you hadn't noticed

More Irish people have returned to Ireland than have left in the last recorded period.

It's not really a harsh reality at all is it? Irish people are leaving because they want to and coming back because they can, this wasn't always the case in the period you yearn for, which again was absolutely horrific.

• Advertisement

Google tells me, in multiple places, that the cost of living is greater in Australia.

When I hear about young people going there it is for adventure, not financial forces. They even forgo good career jobs to do it

Advertisement