Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paschal Donohoe expenses controversy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭Shelga

Did PD personally award him those contracts? Is there evidence he lobbied in MS’s favour? I’m not defending PD, I’m asking reasonable questions. I haven’t seen any coverage of how MS directly benefited from PD’s influence or help, and I just keep thinking- posters? What a **** bribe. Why would PD risk his career for posters?

Records of which were kept in his ministerial diary, so hardly covert and held in a darkened car park?

Do you think Paschal Donohoe thinks hanging up posters seriously makes him beholden to anyone? It’s a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Let me see, of my four TDs since the last election, I haven't met Leo, but I have met Paul Donnelly on seven occasions, Jack Chambers twice, and Roderic O'Gorman on around twenty. I have also met councillors from Labour, Fianna Fail, FG and the Greens on numerous occasions as well as the local Senator Emer Currie on three occasions.

All meetings were one-to-one or in groups of less than five.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

But this line of 'it's only a few posters', 'only a grand' is all coming from FFG and Stone.

If you look at what other candidates spend on posters, and what it might really cost to hire 6 guys and vans in 2016 and 2020, a more credible figure is 10k to 20k. After that we have the raffle tickets. Again we have PD telling us that was only 1700e euro but this again is based on his word. Also who buys 1700e worth of raffle tickets?

On top of this we have PD and Stone chopping and changing their stories, remembering and forgetting things left right and centre. It stinks.

I certainly think it's not good enough, especially from the party who were supposed to clean up all this sort of behaviour, and he must go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

If you were involved in a project that has given huge assistance to the local community, you would expect the local TDs would want to be involved too.

I'm involved in a project in Kildare and have had meetings with 2 TD's and a senator at least 4 times in the past 12 months. One is an independent and one of from a gov party. The senator is from FF. The sf td did not want to be involved in the project and sent a generic reply when we sent details to her.

Everyone involved is giving their time free and no expenses are being paid and we hope to finish it within 18 months and the main aim of meeting the td's is to try and get funding (some was received) but also to point us in the direction of people who could provide extra funding / free services.

If the reason for the meeting is good enough, you will find it quite easy

• Advertisement

anyone notice how the sinn fein cheerleaders have gone to ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭TipsyMcStagge

Operation protect Paschal is well under way it seems. The issue here is simple dodgy Donohoe broke the rules and knew about his rule breaking since 2017 and did nothing to correct his rule breaking. Dodgy Donohoe has repeatedly lied about his rule breaking, Dodgy Donohoe has repeatedly lied about the amounts of money involved and retrospectively laughably tried to make them fit within the rules. Dodgy Donohoe has had to issue 3 separate statements about his rule breaking and clarifying his crony style relationship with Mr Stone.

The main issue is do we think it is acceptable for a senior minister to break the rules of political donations from a crony and repeatedly lie about it? I for one say it is not.

But why would Stone use the act of putting up election posters to exert some hold over Donohoe. Why would Donohoe let him? If it was something like Stone saying- I’ll make sure this huge project goes to your constituency if you make sure the contract goes to me- ok fair enough!

It’s *election posters.* I just don’t care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭DBK1

Paschal is not my local td, and like yourself I'd never vote for FG. I can honestly say I'd cut my hand off before I'd ever allow it to put a mark beside an FG TD on a ballot paper.

I agree with you, it all seems completely blown out of proportion and in no way does it seem credible that that if a TD was going to accept a bribe that the best they could come out with for themselves is a couple of lads to hang a few posters. It's ludicrous if you ask me. Also, like you, anyone I've spoken to about it, and that would range people across various different party supporters, can't seem to get the outrage either. It seems to be only online on forums like this and on twitter that the outrage is and maybe that tells it's own story.

Paschal, to me, comes across as one of the more competent and capable FG TD's and seems to be regarded this way in Europe as well. It really would be a case of cutting off your nose to spite your face trying to force him to resign. By the looks of the last few weeks of stories about TD's, we'd have no-one left in government if they were all to be forced to resign over trivial things like this.

Would it not make more sense to do something like investigate the exact figures involved, force any td who breached the rules to pay some sort of a fine relative to the amounts undisclosed, and punish the parties by reducing their allowance in the next election by some sort of a multiple of the current undisclosed figures and move on from this rubbish?

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

‘…a more credible figure is 10k to 20k.’

Where on earth did you get those figures?! 10k is the figure estimated by the biased whistleblower. 5k is the figure that the FF candidate in the constituency, Mary Fitzpatrick, registered with Sipo, which Sinn Fein used as its standard of comparison. But an analysis by Harry McGee in the Irish Times shows, 1) that 5k is at the upper-end of what politicians have registered for hanging posters, and 2) that Fitzgerald registered an improbably low 500 on printing of posters, indicating that she likely apportioned her expenses differently.

You should consider that your tendency to significantly exaggerate the likely cost is mirrored by your tendency to find corruption where none exists.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

It was appalling what happened to Barry Cowen . The excuse he had someone in his car makes sense. I knew there was something he did not want to disclose.

Great article by Michael McDowell in the Irish Times

I suspect sinn fein will be very very quiet on answering any of his queries. I suspect sinn fein may end up being the biggest losers in this media storm

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/2023/01/25/michael-mcdowell-sinn-fein-showing-usual-hypocrisy-over-donohoe-donations/

Oh for god’s sake, now RTÉ have as their main headline, a story about Sinn Féin failing to pay €600 for a hotel room.

I don’t like SF either, and I also don’t care about this! It’s getting farcical at this stage. Talk about a slow news day. 🙄

We're talking over 2 elections here. And if we are talking about 5k being at the upper end of the scale, I'd expect this to be right up there and likely higher. Hiring six guys over multiple days and a van is going to be at that end of the scale.

Maybe PD should make another statement clarifying just how much work was done?

How many days were these guys hired for, how much were they paid per hour or shift. He has to be able to give an accurate figure right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

This whole thing is hilarious. SF we’re being so sanctimonious, they seem a bit quieter now. Maybe both sides can put handbags away now since they’re both at it and get back to running the country?

If people are buying the line of it's just a few posters I think that's an awful pity.

It's not.

It's posters, raffle tickets, dodgy stories to cover up, undeclared rental interests, that 'ol FFG mucker Frank Flannery lobbying on behalf of foreign property investors, and I've no doubt plenty more beside.

I'll most likely reluctantly vote SF next time round. If there only a 0.1% chance of them turning things around, especially in relation to housing, that's more than this lot.

FFG have made it clear what interests they favor, and even with all the spin and lack of accountability, it's pretty clear why.

Oh God. You know well that the estimate you were criticising was for one election.

sinn fein says the non payment and no declaration of the venue hire was an "oversight"

But as this is a sinn fein "oversight" its all ok.

George Orwell's Animal Farm comes to mind "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others"

Yes I do. The estimate PD has provided comes in (quite conveniently) at approx 1k per election.

Based on what I've said above 5-10k per election would be more realistic. Six guys, multiple days, van hire etc, higher end of the scale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭TipsyMcStagge

He was drunk and on a learners permit was he not?

I read your first line and assumed it was sinn fein you were talking about.

Fundraisers outside Ireland - not subject to sipo

Owners of over 100 properties, some used for their own purposes and some rented commercially to others. Very little paperwork as to where the money for all these properties came from

Far more posters than other parties, yet able to magically have them at substantially lower costs (mates rates - or paid for from outside Ireland?)

We'll say nothing about Northern Bank robbery or where the substantial funds the IRA had ended up.

As for cronyism - have a look at north of the border and see the amount of back slapping that goes on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭crossman47

This issue will have no effect on my vote at the next election. I won't vote FG because they are ideologically opposed to public housing and I certainly won't vote for SF (certainly until Mary Lou apologises for the Provos and admits they were wrong). That still leaves me in a quandry - FF are likely to join SF in a coalition, Labour are just pursuing trendy liberal issues under Bacik, the Soc Dems had an opportunity to join a coalition and funked it and my Green TD is hopeless. It'll be a case of starting at the bottom and picking the least worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Anyone breaking the rules should be run through the ringer. Would be funny if you could send CAB into the Dail building seeing what's written down then investigating what's not. I mean for everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Paul Murphy was skewered on Morning Ireland this morning for making statements such as that and implying that the very fact Stone is a businessman made him murky.

That sh*t needs to stop. Being in business and supporting a political party are freedoms we are all entitled to under the Constitution of this State. Having it impugned as a way of life by commie scroungers and layabouts is not good enough.

This bit sickens me. I cannot stand the 'but but SF' line. FFG were all over it with Dowdall.

There's a reason SF, with dubious links to this that and the other, is the biggest party in the state.

FFG opened the door and welcomed them right in. And then they pull this sanctimonious BS.

We've had a couple of incredible years economically, yet housing and health are in the hellish state they are.

I'm from Limerick where older people with manageable illnesses are staying at home to die, so they don't die on an AE trolley.

That's on FFG and no one else. So don't preach to me about the only crap option I have left.

Post edited by MegamanBoo on

And while I'm at it these housing/immigration protests are just opening the door for the far right.

What's next years tune, 'but but the Proud Boys', 'but but the KKK'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Maybe you haven't read my previous posts but I have audit all the parties. I don't like any of them so I have no problem with all of them being hauled over the coals and everything being exposed.

I know that doesn't some peoples arguments on here because they like to label people a "sinner" if they criticise their mates in government. Like I said I don't like any of them, they are all self serving, greedy parasites. They care nothing for the country or the people of the country but only for themselves their party and their donors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I couldn't agree more.

That shower are actually anti people, not anti profit. Anti anyone who seems to have wealth and influence and power, which are essential to progress

Absolute chancers. The very thing (profit) that makes us get out of bloody bed and they are against it. Profit, which is what we all want to help us all. They will never be in power because they have zero interest in leading, and thank bloody god.

Murphy very quickly forgets his upbringing - his dad was CEO of Mars Ireland and sadly dies very young at the age of 42 when Paul was just 11, but financially he never wanted for anything due to his dad's insurance policies.

Does anyone listen to him outside of the water protest. I mean he was in the dail banging White Europeans taken over people from Africa and alike. I think RBB said there were 50k empty houses. PM said there were 120k If I heard correctly.

Great, you and Larbre34 seem to be of a similar mindset. Explain to me then how it's ok for that 'ol crony Frank Flannery to be out lobbying for a foreign property firm.

That all just part of 'doin business the FFG way is it?

It's not a hotel room, it is a room rented from a taxpayer-funded body, who never made a fuss about not being paid. I wonder why. Did they grants while SF were running Dublin City Council? Have they got other favourable deals from the local authority? Who knows, but that is the type of question that would have Pearse Doherty bursting a blood vessel asking in the Dail.

The value of the two rooms not paid for in this single case - €1200 - is greater than the amount that SF supporters were shouting about Paschal for. And it is only the tip of the iceberg it seems. Remember only last week, they adjusted their 2020 election expenses for €7,000 because of a Covid oversight.

This isn't without even mentioning the hundreds of "volunteers" (otherwise known as paid employees of SF in the North) who get shipped in from outside this jurisdiction every election to canvass, put up posters, and generally annoy voters.

Most people here would have no Issue every party put under a huge microscope. Others hand wave away wrong doings.

• Advertisement

My view is that the election rules are a complicated mess and if anybody claims that they are fully clean, then they are hiding something serious because it is close to impossible to make a full return and cover anything.

On the Paschal thing, it seems that because Stone paid the guys to put up posters, there is a breach. So if I was a Green party member and paid my kids (who let's say were not party members) a few Euro to deliver leaflets for the Greens, that would have to be declared. A ridiculous requirement and one of many such overly detailed and complicated requirements and pretty much guaranteed to ensure every politician breaches the rules at some point or another.

I can see now why SIPO is ineffective. It spends its time up and down every tree counting acorns while the wood is being burned down elsewhere.

As for most people here, the mob with pitchforks soon disappeared once SF got dragged into this mess. Look back in the thread and the loudest voices condemning him have gone eerily silent in an enormous display of hypocrisy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭howiya

That's all well and good once the donations are within the legal limit and are declared appropriately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭howiya

Income earned should always be declared. Its not that ridiculous. And it should be declared by the relevant party too.

SIPO is ineffective by design.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

There’s a big difference between meeting a Minister and having a 1:1 sit down with a Minister in their Departmental office.

How many 1:1 sit downs with Minister O’Gorman did you have in his Departmental office?

And you know that his diary is available on FOI.

Hard to find out if done via a chat group on the phone for example. Or can that be FOI ?

• Advertisement

None, in his Ministerial Office, but I met him plenty of times in Blanchardstown. If I wanted or needed a sit-down with any Minister in their office, I could get one. So could thousands of others across the country. Might take a bit of time to set up and a few phone calls, but it could be done. Better to work through their officials though.

I find it is Ministers who are more interested in meeting because of photo opportunities than people want to meet them.

Ministers and TDs spend their weekends in their constituencies. Easy to grab five minutes with them any time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Look at Donohue’s diary and see how many of his constituents got one meeting in his Ministerial calendar, let alone thirteen.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭JRant

The party HQ out in force today it seems.

Couple of key points:

Investigate all parties if this is as wide spread as it seems.

Anyone making donations, like Mr Stone, are already required to register their interest. It's time to police this properly and no more of this "I forgot" nonsense.

SF seem to really get under a lot of people's skin.

PD told fibs and has been caught out. Not a big deal is what I keep hearing but look at what ministerial brief he currently has and tell me he's not in an untenable situation.

Politics in this country has long been done with a nod and wink attitude. That needs to change.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

I saw my local in the shopping centre once. I wanted to have a chat but they made sure to not make eye contact. Think it was my hair shave it off in the summer. Did notice they went into the book shop and people were chatting with them. 🤐

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭griffin100

i think PD is more guilty of arrogance than deceit in this case. I suspect he didn't pay enough attention to what was being done in his name and his initial comments didn't do him any favors.

Was / is he corrupt? No more so than any other politician in an environment where political patronage is a part of life (rightly or wrongly). When SF are in the next government watch the appointing of their supporters to various Boards and Quangos (as we see with every party when in power).

Unless someone can show a direct link to PD influencing the awarding of commercial contracts I would rather he stay than go. If he is shown to have influenced the awarding of commercial contracts then he would have to go. I would be disappointed if he is shown to have behaved corruptly, he has always seemed like a straight politician (in so far as a politician that makes it to cabinet can be considered as straight, they are ruthles b@stards)

The Independent have gone after him to try and take some of the glory from The Ditch I think (and possibly to ingratiate themselves with our new imminent overlords in SF).

I have to say I was surprised to see SF go after him over this issue. They are treading on very thin ice given their own background around funding and donations and it was only a matter of time before their own transgressions were bound to come to light. A party that has taken donations from a gangland criminal, has openly stated that it has no issues with criminals becoming political advisors, resorts to libel cases against journalists, and has a poor record on issues such as the supreme court should be picking its morality battles a bit better. SF would have been better served to let the gormless plebs in Labour do the heavy lifting on this issue.

We can talk all we want about the behavioral standards we want from our politicians but all parties will ensure that the status quo of a toothless SIPO remains in place as there is no genuine appetite for change.

I am sure that there are many Chairmen of State Bodies and CEOs who got meetings with him?

It's in the way you approach them. Don't go straight to the Minister, approach one of the henchmen, I'm with such and such, could I have a quick word with the Minister/TD.

Once you have met them once in a situation like that, easy enough to chat to them in other situations. Politicians seem to have the memory of elephants, they'll remember you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

FG have had 12 years to reform SIPO amongst other much needed reform spelled out in costly tribunals. FG promised the world and delivered Zero. They even made FF legitimate again.

2 more years of this please. Expose it all.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Oh I get that Blanch. But they were alone visibly. Think it's as I don't really look like their demographic. Better just to walk on and I would never hector them. Now obviously different if they call to my door looking for a vote. But were all human.

• Advertisement
Advertisement