Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rsa supporting e-scooters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Why would you add pedals to a scooter?

I've not looked at the proposed legislation as I'll believe it when it gets actioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭Macy0161

The point was/ is, if you allow a throttle for a scooter why wouldn't you allow a throttle on a e-bicycle? The expectation that it will be a new class, and e-bikes will no longer need to be pedelecs/ assisted pedalling only.

Because you turn them into motor bikes or mopeds. Which then attracts all the tax, insurance, and rules of mopeds, motorbikes. No one believes they'll be limited in speed in anything other than theory. Once you put a seat on a scooter that's doing the same thing.

I think they solve a lot of transport issues. I just don't think the authorities want the headache of them. What moved the game on there for cycling and cycling infrastructure was COVID. It had got nowhere until then.

ye wouldn’t have heard me arguing with him though I was delighted, had literally just gotten my learner permit for car and was freaking out thinking he’d give me points or ban me haha 😂

No, because they'll be a new class of vehicle - PPT. If it's capable of over 25km/h they'll be classed as motorbikes or mopeds. It's not logical that scooters, segways, hoverboards etc would be legalised (with the conditions) to then exclude bicycles just because they have pedals. Any ppt could potentially fall foul of the 25km/h, so again, why exclude bicycles?

• Advertisement

In most places (that actually have rules) it's not that they exclude them. But they would be a different classes of vehicles.

Many places have two different classes of eBikes. Slow and Fast.

I think people want/hop one all encompassing class so they can squeeze fast devices and escape any legal requirements that these usually attract.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Markcheese

France has had different classes of vehicles for decades , a 14 year old could hop on a moped easily

But if a 17 wanted a small motorbike its tax ,insurance and license time ,

And they have similar with cars , if it's tiny and restricted work away , if it's a supermini kia picante licence and insurance time ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Some of these eBike and eScooters are far faster than old mopeds though. So its not exactly a fair comparison.

But they'd be illegal under the new legislation as over 25km/hr, without tax and insurance.

...And how do they check 25km/hr now and how do they propose to check that going forward with the new legislation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

But escooters and ebikes can be ridden very fast and they tend to take pavements and canalways and shared cycle lanes. I think they are a menace, especially to kids, dogs and cats who don't hear them coming and with no reg plate a lot of delivery drivers and commuters get away with dangerous and illegal behaviour. If there is an accident they can leave the scene and not be identified.

Also with no insurance people are going to be left out of pocket when they are hit. Also the riders themselves.

Many countries require mandatory insurance and registration, rightly so. It would also help cut back on theft, with no reg these expensive ebikes are prime targets for theft.

Ban e-cars if the lack of noise is the issue? Seriously, people in cars killing people nearly every day of the week, propose to legislate for PPT's and people lose their minds and come up with excuses why they shouldn't be legalised!?! They're in common use already, both above and below the proposed legal limit, and there is no evidence of them leaving a trail of maimed baby goats, dogs or cats....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Joe1919

There are amendments to the original bill and there could be further amendments. There appears to be two definitions as far as I can see from

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/bills/bill/2021/128/?tab=amendments

“ ‘pedal bicycle’ means—

(a) a bicycle which is intended or adapted for propulsion solely by the

physical exertions of a person or persons seated on it, or

(b) a bicycle capable of propulsion solely by the physical exertions of a

person or persons seated on it, and equipped with an auxiliary

electric motor—

(i) which has a maximum continuous rated power less than or equal

to 0.25 kilowatts, and

(ii) the output of which cuts off when those physical exertions stop,

and is otherwise progressively reduced and finally cut off before

the bicycle reaches the speed of 25 kilometres per hour;”,

A“ ‘powered personal transporter’ means a vehicle—

(a) designed and constructed for the carriage of a single person, but not

designed or constructed for a person with restricted mobility or for

the carriage of goods,

(b) with a maximum unladen weight of 25 kilograms, or such other

maximum unladen weight as the Minister prescribes,

(c) with a maximum design speed of no less than 6 kilometres per hour

and no greater than 25 kilometres per hour, or such other maximumdesign speed as the Minister prescribes, and

(d) equipped with an electric motor having a maximum continuous

rated power, or electric motors having a combined maximum

continuous rated power, of less than or equal to 0.5 kilowatts, or

such other maximum continuous rated power, or combined

maximum continuous rated power, as the Minister prescribes,

but not including a vehicle referred to in paragraph (b) of the definition of

pedal bicycle or in paragraph (b) of the definition of pedal tricycle;”

So if you take the pedals off your bike, fit a 500w motor and battery and keep the weight under 25 kg, does it now becomes a powered personal transporter ????

Post edited by Joe1919 on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,549 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Loads of people say this, myself included but is there any evidence that they truly are a menace rather than just annoying because its some young scrote. I say this as someone who despises them but other than a student who nailed herself into the ground outside my workplace (and we had to do first aid on her while waiting for an ambulance, all superficial damage but we would not let her look at a mirror), I've not really heard of many issues. She took it off her boyfriend and drove straight into a rut. She would have done damage to herself at some point regardless with that situational awareness. There was a report earlier in the thread form a dublin doctor and all I could think was, those numbers for hospitalisations are way lower than expected.

Those scrotes who annoy me, well to be honest, I'd rather that than them driving some clapped out Opel Kadett or Ford Fiesta they picked up for 250euro.

I had two pedestrians walk out in front of me today, I managed to stop but they done a 90degree turn. I let a shout to wake them up but at least one of them will go home blaming cyclists for being dangerous, rather than, thank f*ck he was driving to the conditions and was able to stop knowing it was a possibility. If I was on a scooter it would have been scum on scooters but oddly if I was driving, it would proabably be seen as the pedestrian leaving me no choice but to hit him despite my best efforts.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

On the subject of footpaths, while I don't believe anyone on a bike or scooter should be on a footpath it amazes me how outraged people get about a bike or a scooter but they don't get outraged about the thousands upon thousands of cars, vans and trucks that drive on footpaths daily up and down the country in every village, town and city.

Not only do these create a massive safety issue but they often block footpaths entirely or just enough to make life hell for a parent with a small child/buggy or anyone with a disability and also they damage footpaths which costs the tax payer a lot of money.

But yeah scooters, they are awful!!!! 🙄

i can’t be arsed searching but off the top of my head I know for definite you need it in Spain. Not the entire country though just some cities.

Have to disagree but that's kinda seems like a no...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,587 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

So @[Deleted User] it's not many countries at all is it - it's just you with a dollop of whataboutery really.

Uh I’m just saying I know one country where you do. I wasn’t the one who made the initial claim but I think insurance is a fair ask considering the fact accidents on escooters haven’t been fairly numerous. I also think bicycles should have insurance if using them on the roads.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

oh dear.

Well thus far you've listed zero countries.

What if we ban cars from the roads.

Right well I’m just gonna stop talking to you now because it’s clear you’re just out for an argument.

So that's a hard no on that list....

I'm not sure you get the purpose of a forum.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,549 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Wait, you are pro insurance on scooters and bikes, despite admitting accidents are not "numerous" (are they even a small number). You get why insurance is a legal requirement on motor vehicles here right? Please tell me you get it, for once I want someone who asks for insurance on bikes to understand the societal point of it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Tell me, what insurance premium should a 4 year old pay for cycling their bike?

Also how will insurance premiums promote exercise exactly especially for poorer families...you know something we should be encouraging. I run and I've run into a few people not paying attention, but its hard to decide blame sometimes, perhaps people that run should have to pay insurance too? Also, what about skateboarders, they surely are a risk too so best have them pay insurance too.

Is your view on the future all about wanting humans to look like they did in the movie WALL-E? (lazy and fat if you don't know the movie).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,283 ✭✭✭✭fits

Was cycling down the quays yesterday on a Dublin bike and an e scooter swooshed past me and must have been doing 50 km/hr. In the protected cycle lane. I’ve no issues with the normal ones if ridden considerately but to have something going that speed in cycle lane is mental.

At the moment just riding the eScooter was illegal. They mostly aren't enforcing that. How likely is it the Garda will enforce speeding? None.

Are they enforcing cyclists going too fast, as on cycling dentistry dangerously? No.

Finally did the scooter actually hit anything. No.

How do we move forward from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,283 ✭✭✭✭fits

This particular person was weaving in and out between cyclists at a high speed. It was dangerous behaviour. They Should be in the car lanes at that speed and properly insured. Or off the road altogether.

as I said I’ve no issue with the 25 km/hr scooters. Would welcome more of them. And more dedicated road space for everyone not in cars or taxis.

• Advertisement

It's was illegal no matter what they were doing.

There's no point making up more laws that won't be enforced.

Advertisement