Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,713 ✭✭✭✭phog

There used to be an employee of the IRFU that posted here way back, he often dismissed the stats that we saw/used because they were at odds to what he'd seen from the Irish camp - often times these were final whistle stats too. I'm sure these stats are much improved once the match reviews are done and all stats collated.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Ireland play a dynamic game with a lot of moving the ball away from contact, fixing the defender and then trying to make sure there's quick ruck ball etc.

You could equally say similar about Leinster, yet they saw fit to bring in Jason Jenkins this season. A player who started the season brilliantly, yet has averaged 3 passes a game for Leinster.

And if hands were so important, Ross Molony would've seen gametime for Ireland last season. (For example, I'm not sure how happy we'd be with a second row of Beirne and Molony going up against, say, England in the 6 Nations?)

Fwiw, I've absolutely no issue with McCarthy getting selected ahead of Kleyn (he's got enormous potential). And part of the reason I'd like to see Kleyn involved is because I think he received some poor treatment from some quarters when he was called up for the RWC, so I'd be delighted for him to be involved again.

(Also I'm not sure your stats on Kleyn are completely accurate?)

Post edited by aloooof on

It's a fair comparison with Jenkins albeit this is club rugby standard and he trains week in week out with Leinster and not just the week before an international tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,001 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

You could equally say similar about Leinster, yet they saw fit to bring in Jason Jenkins this season

Leinster and Ireland have completely different and independent sets of coaches. What Farrell et al want for Ireland has absolutely nothing to do with what Cullen/Lancaster want for Leinster.

And if hands were so important, Ross Molony would've seen gametime for Ireland last season.

Oh come off it. Doesn't pick Moloney, we appeal to authority. Doesn't pick Kleyn, that very same authority is wrong. Moloney is a decent provincial level pro, he's not an international.

Absolutely nothing? I'm not sure about that.

Of course their selections are entirely independent, but I'd say there are large overlaps with what Farrell wants and what Cullen/Lancaster wants tbh. What from the following would you not say about Leinster?

Ireland play a dynamic game with a lot of moving the ball away from contact, fixing the defender and then trying to make sure there's quick ruck ball etc.

Also on this:

Oh come off it. Doesn't pick Moloney, we appeal to authority. Doesn't pick Kleyn, that very same authority is wrong. Moloney is a decent provincial level pro, he's not an international.

Where exactly did I say he was wrong not to pick Kleyn?? Clue: I didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

It doesn't really matter what Jenkins does or doesn't do. He's signed for a purpose for Leinster. But he can pass the ball also. He might average 3 passes a game but there are matches where he has passed it 5 or 6 times also. He's capable of playing that role. Again, Kleyn has 2 passes in 262 minutes of European rugby according to the EPCR site: https://www.epcrugby.com/player?PlayGuid=JK725498

Jenkins (which is neither here nor there) has 3 in 54 minutes. If Jenkins was in contention for Ireland, he would be relevant.

Ross Molony would be in the team if hands were everything but obviously they're not. If there are more rounded options who can handle the ball, carry over the gain line and compete in the physical stakes, they'll be preferred. And that's who Ireland have selected.

Kleyn is having an excellent season. I'm just giving what I was see as fairly clear and stark evidence that suggest he doesn't fit the Irish team style. Nor am I advocating for McCarthy. He's a great prospect but he needs more game time at provincial level for me as his discipline continues to be an issue. You can be great but if you're going to conceded 2-3 penalties almost every match, I don't think you should be selected.

If we're looking at a young player with a high ceiling who has a rounded game, suitable to the Irish style, I'd advocate for Niall Murray to be included. He has been excellent this season. The only drawback is that he might need another 3-4kg of muscle on him.

This is where the stats sites fall down; EPCR site has him down for 2 passes and 11 metres carried in those games. The Munster site has him down for 5 passes and 41 metres carried.

(Still not massive passing numbers, and I accept if we had stats straight from Munster, they wouldn't be through the roof. His tackle numbers on both sites are fairly consistent, and really impressive).

But fwiw, going by the Provincial sites, Jenkins averages 3 passes a game, Kleyn 2.3. It's not an enormous difference.

There's obviously also things that you don't see in the stats like maul d (Munster's was excellent on Sunday vs a big Toulouse pack) and the latch for the try.

I don't think it's any great travesty that he wasn't picked. But I also don't think it'd be undeserved if he had managed to get selected. That's all I'm really saying.

It's not the only place where stats fall down. Leinster arguably have a lot more go forward / front foot ball so putting width on the ball against a retreating defensive line is an option that Kleyn likely doesn't have with the same frequency. Kleyn spends a lot of time cleaning up dirty ball into contact at or behind the gaineline. This is not going to create a decent stat picture, but if Munster start punching more holes with the likes of Snyman returning then I think we'll see a different picture from Kleyn.

There is no point in comparing Kleyn to Jenkins. You might as well compare him to a fish or a birthday cake or some lawn furniture for all the relevance it has to Ireland selection.

You really think that's a reasonable comparison to what's actually being discussed, and adds value to the conversation?

• Advertisement

I'd agree. I'd also wager Leinster, on average, have more possession, which goes some of the ways towards explaining Kleyn's higher tackle counts. Factor in further stuff like minutes played (and possession in those minutes) and it just makes the stats all the fuzzier.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Wh-wh-whatabout Leinster doesn't add any value, is the point. We're not talking about Leinster, it's a different team with a different set of coaches, and it's a player who is not eligible for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,457 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Kleyn, Molony or Treadwell, don't think there is much between any of them and I'd still favour the younger guy with more potential every day.

No mention of development players in this squad, maybe when they get back from Portugal they'll add one or two, but I'd like to see Niall Murray in the camp.

Wh-wh-whatabout Leinster... 

Mod: Don't be a dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

McCarthy being there is no different to Crowley being there or Harry Byrne before him. He is not the 4th best lock in the country as things stand anymore than Crowley is the 3rd best outhalf. Both have huge potential but are far from the finished article.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

If injury struck sexton between now and the world cup who takes over as captain?

For Fiji Furlong was given the honour but POM, Ryan, Henderson and Ringrose were rested for that game.

For the Australia game when Sexton pulled out I think POM was captain for the day.

But if you go back to the last 6 nations POM only started 2 games and In an extremely competitive position isn't a guaranteed starter this year.

Not a particularly big deal imo, one of POM, Ryan or Ringrose. Plenty of leaders in the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I don’t know why everyone assumes Ryan would be a good captain. He's a good player and would be a great leadership character on the field and in training. But the captaincy role involves loads of media and all that guff. Ryan doesn't look like he'd thrive in that environment at all.

I always think he's a player who wants to focus on the job on the pitch and that's it. He's experienced now so he can be a leader in the pack and be a great leadership figure, but I think captain wouldn't suit him at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭TRC10

I don’t know why everyone assumes Ryan would be a good captain.

I think that's a bit of a strawman. I don't think they do. Leinster and Ireland clearly don't as they've both replaced him as vice-captain with Ringrose and POM respectively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Lol. I think that’s the first time Ive ever read that it’s a shame Italy got better. No pleasing some people.

Particularly minor point to add too (and possibly one for the Munster thread), but Kleyn's highest number of passes in a game is 6 vs the Bulls. That was on the day where we fielded out heaviest back-5 of the pack this season in Kleyn, Edogbo, Beirne, POM and Coombes. I don't think that's a coincidence.

(He had 25 tackles that day too).

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

There was a benefit to having an easy game in the competition, so in some regards its a negative and in some its a positive, but then again Cardiff is the new rome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Ryan does the lineout calling.

Often the lineout caller is assumed to be a leader. He makes important decisions about the lineout and is consulted by the captain before deciding whether to kick a penalty of kick down the line.

Personally I feel that Ryan is definitely a leader but there are plenty of leaders in the team and giving one of the others prominence would be better imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Ringrose has been primed for the captaincy for years. He’s the go to for Leinster more and more.

POM is the only other likely candidate for Ireland but may not be as nailed on a starter enough to take over the role.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Ryan captained every team he played on AFAIK. I don't know much about his media training but that's a trivial aspect as far as I'm concerned. It's not like Ringrose or Sexton have any real media presence beyond throwing out a few bland platitudes.

Furlong, POM and Lowe are about the only media friendly players on the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

And if this man ever makes it to the Irish camp, he should be put in front of the media every week!

• Subscribers Posts: 40,989 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Think I counted four f bombs there

"Some craic" alright

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Honestly is there anyone who's actually offended and not charmed by that kind of interview? Give me that any day over "we knew it would be a tough game, they're a serious opponent, we're delighted with the result" after a 50-0 pasting.

Advertisement