Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Resident Evil Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Yeah RE2 had a great atmosphere for the first few hours. Really creepy. RE3 just went bang into action. Have 4 up next

• Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Surely gonna wait for RE4 remake for that playthrough or you planning on both old and new?

I think I'm on a bit of a resident evil buzz at the moment so I'll prob play the PS4 version I have after I finish 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,199 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I never actually got through the original RE4. Think I made it to a boat or lake or something. Can't even really remember why I stopped. Really looking forward to the remake.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Put down whatever PS5 shite you are playing and go play RE4. I guarantee it's better than what ever you are playing now.

• Advertisement

Well I just started Ace Combat 7, but okay....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,618 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I'm looking forward to playing Resident Evil 4 Remake in a few months time. Might play RE7 to fill the gap until RE4 Remake comes out.

I think I'm the same. Definitely had it on the Wii, so trying to use the controller to aim made it much harder. Think I gave up in the first village area. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭eggy81

Did you play them on steam deck or console. Surprised none are on game pass actually

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭eggy81

I’ve gotten to the castle multiple times and lost interest 🤦‍♂️😂 ps2 first time around. Steam on a laptop and switch last year. Deck seems to have me actually playing games properly again so maybe I’ll go again before remake drops.

I'd bought them on PS4 but never got around to playing them and now 2-3 have free PS5 upgrades too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

RE4 is great. Strikes perfect balance between parts 2 and 3. Been a few years since I played it but did several runs when it came out which is extremely rare for me.

I still don't think we have had a third person shooter half the quality of Resident Evil 4. It's still the high bar to beat. It baffles me when I see all the love for Dead Space when all I can think of is how it was a pale imitation of Resi 4.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,053 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I've the remaster on PC and Resi 4 still is very much a classic. Elements of it haven't aged well such as constantly having to jump into the menu to switch weapon but on the whole, it's still great. I can easily recall various set pieces which were all very well designed.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,242 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I never played RE4 when it first came out, I played it for the first time a couple of years ago. It was clear to me that it's one of those games that you needed to play on it's initial release in order to 'really get it'.

The controls are infuriatingly terrible, it took away a lot of my enjoyment from the game. It's also far too long. Fairly forgettable experience and not a game I'd even consider playing through again. I am looking forward to the remake though to see if it can improve on the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

IMO the love for Dead Space doesn't come because of it's gameplay, it is because of the setting. Sci-fi horror is so well suited to games and is (was) criminally underserved. And yea, nothing has come close to touching RE4s encounter design, shooting mechanics and pacing.

I also don't get the complaints that the game has bad controls. It's classic Capcom design. All the old Capcom designers learned their craft from tokuro Fujiwara who had a philosophy of creating risk and reward my making the player commit to an action. If you jump in fujiwaras ghosts n goblins you are committed to that action until you land. Same in resi 4. If you aim you better be sure you can get those shots off because you won't be able to move. But if you can get those shots off you can headshot, suplex and round house kick your way to victory.

It's just a wonderfully designed game and there's even little things about it like the adaptive difficulty that Capcom didn't even advertise. For me though it's the set pieces. It's such a long game but each encounter has a Nintendo like twist on the shooting formula that it stays fresh right to the end. It took Capcom a while to recover when nearly the entire dev team moved to clover then Platinum.

It's also one of the few games I was excited about before playing and then managed to absolutely smash those ridiculously high expectations.

Well both Forspoken and RE4 downloaded for me yesterday, so I'm starting one tonight. Maybe I'll flip a coin...

I'm kidding. It'll be RE4. If I am going to play it, I want enough separation between it and the remake so the remake doesn't just feel too familiar.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Shinji Mikami and Capcom / Clover / Platinum's particular mid-late 00s vision of the third-person shooter is something that so few games - Mikami's own follow-ups included - have failed to live up to. Resi 4 obviously, but also Vanquish's focus on style and movement that so delightfully broke free of the limitations of the dominant cover shooters of the time. Exceedingly few games have come anywhere close to either in years since.

Yep RE4's controls are perfect for the way that game is designed, if you could move and shoot it would break the perfect encounter design. IMO even the Wii version messes with the formula too much by completely changing how the guns handle. Funnily enough I played it in VR last year and being able to move and shoot made it ridiculously easy, an absolute must-play in VR but I wouldn't recommend it for first time players

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I think the game is the perfect length as it introduces new ideas quite often. I also think the controls were perfect for the time. For most new players it would just take a little bit of time to adjust to the controls

Isn't there a weird thing with the controls that you move and aim with the same stuck? I'd say it's hard to get used to that on a dual shock style controller. It worked great on GameCube but it's like learning how to walk again on PS2. I think the remasters fix that.

Just played 15 mins of RE4. Holy f*ck I cannot play that game. The tank controls are one thing, but that camera is making me want to vomit. You can't pan the camera around because it instantly snaps back to behind you.

One or the other would be manageable, but I can't handle that camera and tank controls at the same time. I'm far too used to being able to pan the camera around, see where I'm headed and scan the environment, not just what way I'm walking.

I genuinely feel like my brain is swimming in my head after that.

Resident Evil 3 remake is lots of fun. I loved the way it looped back through the RPD station and the timeline is just before RE2. Great that I played them back to back as I remembered the codes to the lockers and safes :)

You will get used to it, just don't treat the other stick like a camera as in other 3rd person shooters. Leave it alone as much as possible. Oh and don't forget the quick turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

A new animated movie is out this summer. Looks like one for diehard fans only, perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Advertisement

GFWL integration was also removed.

Hope they did the same for the lost planet games.

Advertisement