Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon Race Series 2023

Options
  • 20-01-2023 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hey Everyone,

They just announced the Dublin Marathon Race Series.

Corkagh Park - 5 Mile 18th June - €18

Fingal - 10k 16th July - €22

Frank Duffy - 10 Mile 19th August - €28

Dublin Half Marathon - 23rd September €35

They've changed the 5 mile from Tallaght to Corkagh park.

Total Bundle costs €97

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭brick tamland

I wonder how the 5m will work in Corkagh park. I got bogged down in traffic last year in Tallaght, with people ignoring the starting positions and starting in groups far too close to the front and causing traffic.

That was on a wide road too, I was up and down off paths and grass verges try to get around them. It will be even tougher on narrow park paths youd think.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭FinnC

A shame the routes for the 10m and Half remain the same, also a shame at least one of them isn’t somewhere other than the Phoenix Park.

The Corkagh Park one looks interesting, know that park pretty well, as said above it will be narrow enough in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭solidasarock

Any reason why they are not allowed use all the park anymore? Doing a lap of the outer ring of the park really helped with these longer distances. Doing laps of only the south half really sucked the life out of it last year for me. Too much running on narrow uneven and crowded footpaths to pad the distance.

I think I might give the race series a miss this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Some lad form Meath made a joke about the Zoo so the woke police and the OPW have cordoned off the north side of the park for the rest of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Dublinlad1989

Yeah i'm not sure about the Corkagh park 5 mile, its a great park for running but not sure on how it will manage with the numbers that'll be there especially for the first km or two.

I like the Phoeinix park routes but the half marathon through Dublin would of been much better, i did the rock and roll HM in 2019 and it started near merrion square and finished in the park. It was great but i know its a lot of extra work with road closures etc.

I just wish there was a medal for the race series other than the HM haha

• Advertisement

There was nothing to stop them using Whites Rd, Tower Rd and Chapelizod Rd this year I'd have thought? Not sure why they didn't use them last year to compensate for not having the north side of the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭FinnC

Im looking forward to the Corkagh Park race, though the race they held through Corkagh Park a few years ago but started and finished in GrangeCastle was probably a better route

Nice to see them change up at least some of the race venues anyway.

Post edited by FinnC on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭brick tamland

The route is up for 5m. Looks like(could be wrong) it starts and finishes on that bike track or whatever it is. Big bottleneck coming out of there you'd imagine.

As for half. They replied on FB to a comment about having it through city. They said they'd love to be able to be not allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭jlang

I thought I was decent with maps but I don't find the published Corcagh Park 5 mile route easy to follow. Took me a couple of tries to work out whether there is to be a sharp left or a sharp right immediately after the start. Might have been easier to draw it as three colours instead of two as the first lap is kind of two distinct half laps and there are a lot of purple line segments around. I'm pretty sure the 4 mile indication should be a blue dot rather than purple.

The marshalls had better be well briefed on the day.

https://irishlifedublinmarathon.ie/race/corkagh-park-5-mile/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,427 ✭✭✭Trampas

Parking could be fun when it comes to corcagh park.

When it comes to road racing in Dublin in the city and Phoenix park the powers have no interest in it. It’s you can have your run but don’t effect the traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭nullObjects

I noticed there's a park run there too, I might stray out that far one of the weekends to see what the parking is like

• Registered Users Posts: 10,426 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Clondalkin is a very large suburb with plenty of excess parking capacity on weekend days and lots of good public transport links seven days a week. For the parkrun, you just park in one of the Corkagh Park car parks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

How did the new route for the Frank Duffy and HM compare to the previous incarnations last year? Always enjoyed those two routes and the new ones seem just as....honest 😛

• Registered Users Posts: 7,427 ✭✭✭Trampas

I just did the half as usually do for Dublin as it’s a fair route and gives an idea where you are. I preferred the new route compared to the old one as didn’t have that drag up the upper glen road at end but the paths section on chesterfield avenue isn’t great. Especially the last one. I wasn’t to effected but the further down the field the worse it will be as people filter out at the end.

Some might find the last 4 miles a bit tough as no water planned on route so it could be difficult for some.

Not PB courses, they won't be from now on if they use the southern half of the park going forward. If they ever readjusted to take in the area around Farmleigh it could get a lot more elevation friendly. 110m versus 60-70 on most flat race routes.

Miles 3-5 and 11-12 have a decent climb in both, enough to have to pace it accordingly, 40m the first one and 30m the second one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,426 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Definitely a bit tighter and tougher as the Acres section always seems windy and exposed. But still a good race and everyone has the same conditions to deal with. It's the Dublin 10 mile championships so I'll keep doing it anyway, picked up a team bronze last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

I ran a PB in the half. The narrow paths are an issue if you don't start near the front

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

does anyone know if you can defer for one year? i am going to do another race this year and have DCM booked every year since 2018

i would defer or refund but am considering keeping my entry and taking the hit on the money if it means i can get a guaranteed entry next year

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Parking has been arranged in the Mill Shopping Centre - a short walk to the start line from there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

I shuffled around the 5 Miler route a few weeks back. Not 100% accurate I'd imagine but close enough. I wouldn't say it's a PB route, there's a few sharp turns and sneaky drags in there, but it's not a bad route either.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/11092790424

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Paddy1234

Hi - where’s best to park for the Corkagh 5 mile tomorrow. Is the Wilson’s auctions or Mill Shopping centre closer to the start line. Don’t know the area at all. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭HTCJoeSoap

Does anyone have a spare number for this Sunday's Fingal 10km ?

any reports back from the 10k today?

enjoyed it myself, 20 min delay at the start which was a bit annoying but first world problems eh!

perfect conditions for it really. happy to get a 1min pb but felt i should have pushed harder as i was able to finish the last 500m or so really strongly and did not have any issues physically - no cramps aches etc

well organised and lots of stewards directing people the right way, hats off to the volunteers stewarding and at fuel stations

tis a nice route, the bit around 8km along the path under the trees was a nice break from the elements i found

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Hope the woman who fell 3km in was ok later. Didn't seem to hit her head, thankfully and was in good spirits too. The medic patched her up.

did not see that, i saw some poor fella with what seemed like a hamstring gone at around 7 or 8k tho... very unfortunate

it was a bit of a scramble at the start, lot of people trying to force their way in to the very first section just cos they say the balloon said 45min pace or 50min pace and they did not want to go back any further

i started just behind 50min pacers and managed to skip past a lot of people by running the first km or so on the edge and jumping up on path when needed - not idea but u gotta do what u gotta do. ended up being my quickest splits (first 2-3km) just trying to get ahead of the slower runners who started ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Really enjoyed the race today despite the delay at the start. Was relieved to find a second water station on the route as there seemed to be only one shown in the route map. Well organised overall.

Post edited by CassieManson on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Think it said on the sign as well that the second one had gels too? They are expensive enough that I would have stuck them in my pockets if I wasn't already struggling for pace :)

Enjoyed the route, couple of the short steep bits in the park caught me out but very scenic after you get off the main road, very enjoyable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Started too far back myself, finished 469 places up compared to my starting position, but one poor bloke passed 1200 people, so half the field, during his run, I imagine that he was one of the late arrivals. A couple of stewards moved us all back and pulled the barriers out, so maybe a bit of congestion near the front.

Had my fears about the river path, very difficult to pass anyone along it, but really enjoyed the downhill stretch to the finish from there. They ran out of S and M t-shirts pretty quickly, hung around for a friend to finish and she was lucky to get a L. Looks like there was only 5 DNF's, I only saw one person, walking back towards the start after about 2k in.

How can you check how many people you passed during the race :-D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭TheRef

Hah, didn't know you can see how many people you passed, but you can work it out from the Results - TDL Event Services site. I passed 942 people.

Advertisement