Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"To make it harder for them" - Security ideas.

Options
  • 16-01-2023 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭

Randomly thought of what my Dad used to say - in regards to security - that nothing is full proof but you just make it 'harder for them' (theives and criminals to steal things) Good advice the older I get.

You know things like:

• Putting a sterring wheel lock in your car. Not the hardest thing to break. But added security /added time to break off.
    • Don't leave your keys inside the front door lock (inside home) a small metal wire and a lot of patience can prove it to be a mistake.
    • Don't leave an unlocked ladder in your backgarden. Not only can it be easily stolen, but if your backgarden faces a road they can use that to get back over the wall easily (and take the ladder too!)
    • Even other things that might not be classed as stealing as such but just general headaches. Like having a tv satellite, but rather than feeding the cable in from an upstairs room or attic, you feed from the outside sitting room wall. Just takes an arsehole to snip the cable.

What's everyones tips or little tricks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Don't tell your wife 'I told you so' when her unlocked bicycle is stolen from the back garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Electric gates or if the budget won't go that far just lock them at night with a padlock.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

If you have an empty shed make sure it is well locked. Burglars will think there's valuable tools in there and waste their time trying to open it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,012 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Watch Home Alone 😄

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

My dad says that your house just needs to look harder to rob than your neighbors.

My 2c. High gates and walls if you can have them, so no one can see into your back garden. I have no front gates (semi-d in an estate), just a side gate that has no latch on the outside. It only opens from the back garden.

Thorny plants like roses around the walls.

Security cameras are dirt cheap now, and you can set them up to notify your phone. I don't know why people are bothering with traditional siren alarms. I'm planning to put two up on the house and a video doorbell. You can buy a POE switch and run ethernet cable around the attic handy enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Security cameras are indeed dirt cheap… family member got a full state of the art set up, Ultra HD, multiple cameras…. Viewable from smart TV, smart phone, tablet and dedicated flat screen monitors in the house and garage and also outside lighting all for about 5,600 euros… cheaper then the list price slightly as they know one of the managers…

The way the country is heading with most categories of crime trending upwards as per august ‘22 Garda numbers, it’s a savvy investment….

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Fit convicted burglars with these. Geofenced to the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Get a dog

or a laser shark

A laser shark walking a dog would be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,910 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

My next door neighbour asked to leave a key with me in case their house alarm goes off while they’re out, so I just leave that taped to my front door beside a Post-It note with the alarm code and an arrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Live on a small island with very few folk - frequently cut off...oh and of course ORANGE SIGNS warning re CCTV front and back in case any of the neighbours get nosy.... Barking dog alarm tape. As I DID have a large dog...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

As mentioned, CCTV camera's are cheap and very functional these days. The other thing I'd suggest is a bright LED light with a sensor. I got one put in years ago and it's just great. Anything walks across the sensor's field of view and voila, the whole back garden is lit-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,992 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Lot mentioning cctv, but always read that a home alarm should be bought before cctv.

Isn't it better to have an alarm go off and maybe scare them off, rather than be robbed and try to identify hooded and masked robbers on cctv afterwards?

Yep, I have one at the front door and side gate. I put it in for me though, to stop me fumbling with my keys at night, or when I'm bringing the bins out. Each of them has a small solar panel for power.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

It's more so preventative in a lot of cases. A potential burglar eyes up your home and sees:

Lights, alarm, CCTV, video doorbell, a dog perhaps and so on

They may very well decide it's too much hassle and move on elsewhere.

Home alarms are expensive for what you get. I think the subscription ones are a waste of money. Why pay someone to monitor your house when you can simply automate it.

most modern CCTV will ping the phones of the house owners when there's movement so you can take action yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

We’re going to need a bigger moat

House was broken into while we were asleep . Two cars in driveway (so they knew we were in), alarm on wall, Obvious CCTV cameras and warning stickers on door

wore hi vis jackets which made them impossible to see using the night time infared vision on the camera, as it just reflected too much light, they knew the cameras were there and didn’t even try hiding their faces.

not sure much deters them to be honest.

They came through my front door quicker than I can find my keys.

what I learnt. Have a security light so that your camera doesn’t use the infared mode. Use a ring camera or similar that will send you alerts. Don’t just rely on an alarm, burglars don’t care about them, but if you have a security company, they will call for help if you need it and are very efficient as I’ve tested them out a few times by accident.

When locking your front door, always lock it. That may sound obvious. I had been incorrectly told that pushing the handle up locked the door, it doesn’t. So use a key or a locking nob.

luckily my inner door was proper locked and the noise to enter the alarm code woke me.

learnt a lot that night

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

It wasn't much deterrent to whoever stole your cats?

Cover the walls and floors of your home in your own shyte, nobody will want to break into a gaff that absolutely reeks of feces.

• Advertisement

What does the security company do? Do they call the gardai?

I'm asking because I thought they were pretty useless for the money you pay.

They call you first, then they call the Gardai.

mid you just have an alarm, it will just off and annoy your neighbours AND be ignored by your neighbours

• Registered Users Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭sioda

Good quality pick resistant locks are a must the amount of people who have high price alarms and cameras but buy the cheapest union or yale front door lock baffles me.

Simple slide bolts also worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

No such thing as a pick resistant lock. They can all be picked. Check out the LockPickingLawyer on YT. There's even other YT's like Mark Rober and StuffMadeHere to test him. He hasn't failed yet.

But, yes, you need to make your house less desirable than others. A burglar will get in if he wants, especially the good ones. Just don't make your place look like you have more money than your neighbours. And don't be those house wanchors whose sun-level LED lights shine onto the road!

The paid for cameras, Ring/Canary/etc have a use but if you know someone or know IT yourself, it's easy to create you own system these days. Ring/Canary are for the those with little to no knowledge of the systems. Easy set up and easy to use App for the masses.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

How did they know your alarm code?

Must have been a terrifying experience, I hope you're all recovered and feel safe in your own home again.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Ljmscooter

This.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Not a great idea.

They might take it from you and cut you into little pieces.

Exactly… you want whatever measures to be a deterrent so they are thinking..

1) “looks like too much hassle”

2) “looks like they are well geared up”

3) “good chance I’d be caught”

• Registered Users Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Also if you have a glass side door and upgrading consider a different design- I know of a few houses that were entered by smashing the lower glass panel in a side door and then crawling through

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I left my keys inside and front door closed- good solid front door - modern design etc-called out locksmith- he had a wonderful little tool that took about a minute to put together- once assembled he had the door open in 3 seconds- he pushed the tool through the letter box and pulled down the inner handle opening the door- so YES- 100% agree- lock your front door from the inside when at home and take the keys out of the lock - as long as a burglar can gain access to interior door handle and door isn’t locked, then access is entirely possible

Advertisement