Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

It's nice for them to live in the delusion that they still run a sprawling empire every once in a while. The BBC has been in Singapore since before they surrendered it to the Japanese.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I think their BBC World Service radio channel is completely redundant these days as well, because the internet has completely superseded any necessity for it. Although I do tune in occasionally for a laugh just to briefly listen to Oral Gueirn's on site reports with the customary sound of a goat with a neck bell in the background to add to the sense of deprivation in some region of Asia we're supposed to feel guilty about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Nobody invented the colour white. Some more bad news Black people are not black. They are tanned. White people can be pink tinged blue and yellow. We don't absorb all other colours to look whiteish.

Best not go to Asia.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Nobody said anyone invented the colour white. What’s being researched is the associations which have historically been made with the colour white, and the associations which have been made with colours relative to white, by people who are white.

The news is even worse from your perspective, because black people are only tanned if they’re out in the sun too long, similar to any other colour, regardless of the colour of their skin. Has to do with melanin content, and simply being black doesn’t mean they’re impervious to the effects of UV radiation. Can have all sorts of fun with that idea when associations are made between social status and skin colour -

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7380621/

I’m not sure why I shouldn’t visit Asia? They’re far less likely to mistake me for being Chinese based on my physical appearance, unlike the unfortunate who was three sheets to the wind when she called me a chink 😂

(I’ve been mistaken for a couple of different ethnicities, personally I don’t think I actually look any different from most Irish men so I’m not sure what other people are seeing, I’m obviously white! 😳)

African tribes use white paint have done for time and memorial. Nothing to do with white people usually a connection to ancestors or high status.

Lay off the white guilt.

• Advertisement

Lay off the white guilt.

Oh thaaat’s what you were aiming for! Well you could have just said that. It would have sounded equally as stupid as your last post, but it would have been a lot more to the point.

White people did not invent white paint that would be Africans. Now they may not use Titanium Dioxide but they have been using it before we were around. Are we taking away POC inventions now ?

No, African people didn’t invent white paint. Two Norwegians did, hence the purpose of the paper, as frivolous and all as it is -

It was not until the Norwegian chemist Dr. Peder Farup (1875 – 1934) together with chemist and industrialist Dr. Gustav Jebsen (1861 – 1923) discovered an advanced chemical method (separating the iron and titanium in the mineral ilmenite) that the technological conditions for producing a pure white paint were engineered and made possible. The production of titanium white was based on advancements in geology and mining; technological innovations in hydroelectric power; and unique chemistry breakthroughs by Farup and Jebsen between 1910 to 1920, most notably for the manufacture of the inorganic chemical compound titanium dioxide and the ‘sulfate process’ which still is the most used production process for titanium dioxide. The patent for titanium dioxide (TiO2) allowed for the development of the titanium white pigment, which revolutionized the color-industry by bringing into the market an absolute white, non-toxic paint that resisted miscoloring due to dirt and rust. Production for the global market began in the mine Titania AS in Sokndal, Norway, and in the factory Kronos Titan AS in Fredrikstad, Norway, in 1916—and the companies are still key players in the global production of TiO2. During the 1930s and 1940s, the origin of titanium white—the inorganic chemical compound TiO2—was increasingly used in combination with other materials (as coating for concrete, glazing for ceramics, and additive in plastic) thereby changing the aesthetics of surfaces in architecture and design. Its extreme covering ability made surfaces smoother, brighter, and more opaque.

It’s your trying to be a smartarse is trying to appropriate a Norwegian invention. The ‘POC’ reference is just as silly, unless you’re suggesting white people are actually translucent?

Where did Africa get white pigment to make face paint. Paint in it's simplest form is a pigment with a medium to make it a paste. Now If you know how to smash rocks and plants and bone you can make paint. I don't care what the article says. It's using colonialism as a reason even though they do not have that in the past. Well Vikings I assume would be colonisers in areas. The purest form of white is irrelevant. The Africans probably invented most of the primary colours and some shades before we were around. Again your taking away from African Inventions. As they say get up the yard.

• Advertisement

Artists invented the first pigments—a combination of soil, animal fat, burnt charcoal, and chalk—as early as 40,000 years ago, creating a basic palette of five colors: red, yellow, brown, black, and white.

Just to add.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,208 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

"What are you looking at...? Haven't you ever seen a man sweep his lawn with a broom before....?!"

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

What’s that even supposed to mean? You tell me lay off the white guilt, then tell me you don’t care what the article says, when it documents the invention and use of the particular paint it’s referring to, and then you tell ME I don’t care about history?

If only Africans had patented the technology, but they didn’t, so tough titty, none of your African history lesson matters.

That's a shocking comment. Ancient Egyptian priestesses wore white. You can take a modern invention and claim you made it but not in the case of paint. Pigment is the key. Remove the pigment and you have a clear or off brown liquid. Amazes me sometimes the lengths some will go to deny Africa inventing something.

RTFA:

The patent for titanium dioxide (TiO2) allowed for the development of the titanium white pigment, which revolutionized the color-industry by bringing into the market an absolute white, non-toxic paint that resisted miscoloring due to dirt and rust.

From white walls to systemic spread: today TiO2 circulates extensively through our material, biological, and economic systems, most of the time completely unnoticeable. The inorganic compound hides in the food we eat, the paper we print on, the paint on the wall, as well as in concrete coatings, in synthetic textiles, tattoos, make-up, sunscreens, and in endless amounts of white plastic products. Currently the Norwegian innovation TiO2 is present in literally every part of modern life.

https://www.tio2project.com/norwhite

TiO2 - nothing whatsoever to do with Africa, and Africans sure as hell didn’t invent it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Broadcast TV in general is going to go the way of the Dodo eventually, just a matter of time.

The pigment in question is entirely irrelevant. White was not invented by those people. Nature did it. White was not invented by white people. If this is the world view of some there is no further argument to be had. Odd some cannot give credit to the African people for inventing things. Choose the old battles and pick a hill.

Dude 😂

You, earlier: Pigment is the key. Remove the pigment and you have a clear or off brown liquid.

You, now: The pigment in question is entirely irrelevant.

You’re transparent AF 😒

• Registered Users Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

While I don't want to speak for xxxxxxl, I think he meant that the method of getting the pigment is irrelevant. The important thing is that it has been around thousands of years before two Norwegians found one particular way of making white. The chemicals used are irrelevant, the end result is what is important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,310 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I mean, are people really defending this?

The project examines how a Norwegian innovation – the white pigment titanium dioxide – not only led to an aesthetic desire for white surfaces, but was also connected to racist attitudes.

....However, even though TiO2 was not—at the time—considered chemically toxic, it created conditions for the emergence of attitudes toward color that could be said to be socially toxic. These attitudes allowed hierarchies and dichotomies such as clean/filthy, modern/ nonmodern, and civilized/primitive to materialize in everyday surfaces

• Registered Users Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭Zardoz

They switch to the BBC World News service which broadcasts in over 200 countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,208 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

To be fair, they also have a "hummus" expert, so....

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Nah, nobody’s defending it Q, it’s a frivolous paper, not all that unusual for third-level thesis’. I can just never tell whether xl is on a wind-up or if he’s genuinely serious, but claiming Africans invented white paint was just Wakandan levels of wokery -

https://english.alarabiya.net/life-style/fashion-and-beauty/2016/11/26/African-tribal-make-up-What-s-behind-the-face-paint-

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

No, don't be silly. Their skin colour is different from ours so they couldn't possibly have invented it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,310 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Aaaacksually XxxxxxL... Neandertals had pigments well over 100,000 years ago and were splatting it around on cave walls 65,000 years ago. Their palatte was red, tan, black(with extra sparkles). No white. Clearly they understood the intersectional difficulties with the colour, even though they were likely pale themselves. A Progressive people the Neandertals. Save for the cannibalism and inbreeding and tendency for extinction. Can't have it all I suppose.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Professor Susan Jebb chair of Food and Standards Agency (nice work if you can get it) says one should not bring unhealthy foods into the workplace because it temps co-workers.

Novel angle has to be said. I would have just said don't eat cake every day but I suppose that's why I'm not chair of the Food and Standards Agency.

edit:typo

Post edited by AllForIt on

Very true. White would not tend to stand out as much though on cave art why they used bold colours. Chalk based paint would not wear to well. Why you see cave art that wants a lighter colour you remove the Desert varnish. But this still does not change the fact African Tribes paint themselves white and any number of colours. two modern lads inventing a chemical process to make a better pigment of white does not in fact mean they invented white. The simple fact white paint was used before these two lads came up with their version of white paint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I can't believe people are arguing over who invented a colour that initially fell from the sky... Time to go after the whiteys who invented snow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement