Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lidl portable jump pack

Options
  • 18-01-2023 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭

Has anyone ever brought one of these before?

https://www.lidl.ie/p/p32613?productId=32613&countryCode=IE

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭techguy

No personally, but I have requested feedback from peers and they are supposed to be good... in a cheep and cheerful way.

I have just opted for a set of leads in each car of mine. Lower maintenance and you will generally always find somebody to "give you a jump".

If you frequently go places where you can't come across another car in say, 15 minutes (waiting, walking) .. then you need to plan accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,065 ✭✭✭✭Esel

People might not be willing to give a jump these days in case of damage to electronic controllers in newish cars (theirs, not yours).

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭cena

I travel to the north a number of times a year, so it would be handy for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭honda boi

Had that exact one for years for the motorbike. Very handy it was as it just sat under the seat.

I don't see a limit on that one, but the one I had said max 1.6 litre engine I think, not 100% on that figure .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

Any idea how long it holds a charge for? Could I charge it up, and then just forget it in the car, or would it need a regular recharge?

• Advertisement

Lithium ion batteries I'd say, so shouldn't lose much charge over time. You could check it periodically to verify this.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 39 fredgillis

most lidl stuff is pure shite to be honest.

a chocolate teapot be more useful

anything electrical i bought there blew up

they say made in Germany but Its the Chinese that are making it and theyre not a great bunch of lads when its comes to quality

i dont understand why they keep peddling out this rubbish, shame on you lidl

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭FREDNISMO

Have to agree, I have relatives that bought mowers, pressure washers and various other tools that ended up in skip, buy cheap buy twice as they say

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Arnout

Depends on how often you use it as well, I think. I bought a belt sander there once. Still works. But how often do I use it? My friend helped me with a job on my house once that involved that belt sander, and he was complaining that it starts slow (it does) and it was cheap shite and he always buys brand stuff. When I pointed out to him that he uses his tools daily, as a carpenter, and I don't, as an accountant, he understood.

My Targa laptop from 2006 still works too. Used it for a number of years, then bought a newer pc, still used it occasionally because sometimes you just need a laptop (a pc is not exactly portable) and now I keep it mostly because it has the software for the LPG-system of my car on it.

• Advertisement

Anything electrical from Lidl has a 3 year guarantee (which, I admit, can be handy sometimes).

The battery pack in question is highly unlikely to fail imo.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 16 peacock_lane

I have the version of this that came out last year and wouldn't be without it - it's pulled me out of many a battery issue with an older car I have. It holds the charge for quite a while, I pull mine out of the boot every 6 weeks or so just to keep on top of it. Probably the best thing I've ever bought for my car.

I wonder how many phone charges you could get from it? Don't bother doing the maths for me, I'd say the answer is "loads". 🙂

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭kirving

I have a Noco one, and the battery is actually tiny in terms of capacity, genuinely about the same size as a phone. It just has insane current output when shorted.

Yeah, the previous model of this Lidl had 12,000mAh, so that would only charge a 3,000mAh phone battery 3-4 times. Unless my simple calculation is wrong.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭cena

WHAT is on the box

• Registered Users Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Any idea if it will suit a 2.0 petrol?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭MacDanger

I have one of these Li-ion charging packs from Halfords, was decent enough but I left it in the shed for over a year and the battery is gone way down so that it won't charge at all - anyone know of a way to give a small bit of power to it to get over that minimum threashold for charging?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I had one of those when we had a car that tended self-discharge randomly (it'd be driving around fine and then you'd get up the next morning and it'd be flat as a pancake, never figured out what was causing the drain).

The jump-starter worked fine but as with the poster above, we let it go flat after changing cars and it was impossible to get a charge into it after that so it went into the bin. I don't know if the recent versions are any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Dirty Nails

It shouldn't have a minimum if you're using it's own charger. You could try connecting it to a good battery for a few hours though. It might just back charge it if it hasn't a diode on the line. Other than that it's prob the bin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭dontmindme

OP link no longer working for me...is this a charger or a lithium battery jump pack?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Buffman

The battery is so low the charger either can't detect it at all or thinks it's goosed and won't initiate charging. The only way to see if its salvageable is to open it up and get a 12V charger directly onto the battery back for a while. It should be fairly obvious where the + & - are once you disassemble it. Just be careful not to cross anything.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭User1998

My Noco boost jump starter is the same, if the battery is completely flat it won’t recognise it, but you can override it so it still sends power to the battery by holding one of the buttons

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Connected it up to a drill battery and once it had a little juice, it charged away as normal. Cheers lads

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Thats just a charger all be it imo a good one for the money. I've got two of the previous ones they have sold which are less powerful.

This is the sort of thing you get inside one of those portable jump packs, this isn't the Lidl one.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

the powerbank/jump starters are back in lidl today.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I bought one in Aldi about 10 days ago.

It started a motorbike with a tired battery easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭RINO87

Is the ugga dugga thery do any good? https://www.lidl.ie/p/20v-cordless-vehicle-impact-wrench/p10021665?pageId=10041793&tabCode=Current_Sales_Week

Would only be used on our own cars here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Nearly all those tools are good. Particularly if its just home DIY use.

Just a note don't use them on wheel nuts, OK maybe to remove them (but best not used on locking nuts) but definitely not for tightening them.

Claims to be nearly as powerful as my dewalt impact wrench.

Get 4Amp batteries - but that does up the price a good bit.

Edit> With the included charger and 4Amp battery its a great deal.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭RINO87

Cheers, ya I actually have loads of that series of tools, cordless grinder gets a ton of use, circular saws, jigsaws etc so have loads of batteries. Another cant hurt tho!! Wouldnt trust any ugga dugga on wheel nuts without checking them with a breaker bar, but good to have it said!

Advertisement