Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warm city break end of March

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,918 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

it was 25c in San Sebastian 2 weeks ago! i was there in november once and it was low 20s too, it's hit and miss though, gets a lot of rain. Probably my favourite place of anywhere I've been in the world.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

I’m thinking of going to Malaga mid April for an extended weekend. Can I expect warmth / bit of sun ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

I don’t know about that as it was 17 degrees there on Saturday and I was walking around in a tshirt (not quite warm enough for shorts though) so you could easily get a very warm weekend in March.

But yeah it’s a bit of a gamble.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭hero25

@Thelonious Monk what would you recommend as the best, quickest, most convenient way to get to San Sebastian?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,918 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

From Dublin just fly to Bilbao and then there are frequent buses from there, around 2 hours through gorgeous green countryside. Bilbao is as close to perfect a city you'll find.

I think maybe you can fly to Biarritz from Dublin and take a bus from there. I was staying near Perpignan and we drove down for a few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Been there lots of times and am not one for the beach either. Should be nice and warm in March (I was once there in early January and it wasn't cold except for the pool). Plenty to see and do. You can hire a car (cheap) and just wander around, lots of nice little towns for lunch etc. and nowhere is a very long drive. We always stay in Puerto del Carmen near the harbour end, lots of nice restaurants. Volcano bus trip is a must (you can drive to the national park by car but not go into the volcano part).

Some of the things to see are here

Also check out the local wines, production is small so doesn't leave the island but it's good stuff.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

So many great choices mentioned here already! I'll throw my 2c....

Lisbon: Great city, we normally go there start of April. Shorts / t-shirt during the day, light jump at night. 5-6 nights there isin't enough, but a great start! We'll return here for sure (been 3 times)

Malta: Another excellent suggestion. Warm year round (again, we were there in April... shorts / t-shirt at all times). The great thing about Malta is that you can hire a car and explore the whole island, including Gozo (we did this over 2 days). I know you could do the same in Lisbon (or just jump on a train!).

If a gun was put to my head and you had at least a week and like the sea (ie. jumping into rock pools etc) i'd choose Malta. If you have less time (ie. 5 nights), i'd go with Lisbon. 5 nights in Malta simply not enough, imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

We were in Lisbon early March last year. It was really nice and I'd go back to do more exploring. Myself and a mate went for a gig so we brought the wives for a cultural weekend. The reason we didn't get much done is because the afternoon of the Saturday, it rained like I've never seen before, thankfully we covered a bit of ground early that morning and we were up in the old town when the heavens opened or we'd have seen shag all - I genuinely don't know how cars were able to get up those little steep cobbled streets. Talking to a guy in a gift shop before we headed to airport the following day, he actually apologised for the weather, "not normally like that" he says. Some friends went a couple of weeks later and had awesome weather. Swings and roundabouts when you're dabbling in March travel.

A group of us lads are heading to Madrid for 1st weekend of March this year (celebrating some of us hitting the big 40 😥 ). We were going to go Bilbao/San Seb but the combination of flights and football fixtures worked against us. I don't know why/how Seville never came up in discussion. . . .I may have subconsciously held that back for a trip with mrsTeal. I'll bring a coat of some description, how heavy it is will be decided the day before. Anybody got a connection for Rayo Vallacano tickets???

My head office is in Malta. I get to stay in the Intercontinental in St. Georges bay when I'm there. This is Paceville and basically all I got to see the couple of times I've been. . .lets just say it's not my scene. If you're into "dancers" trying to pull you into dodgy clubs (while you're just looking for some grub), have at it. It does not leave a good impression of a historic med island. The traffic was pretty grim too. I'd like to have a proper nose about the Island but I'd be in no hurry to so see Paceville again. St. Julian's just down the road looked much nicer but I was strolling on my lonesome so some of the fancy restaurants would have been wasted on me. I can vouch for the weather though, one of my colleagues boasted of xmas day being T-shirt weather.

Post edited by theteal on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭billyhead

Nice post. I have booked a trip to Lanzarote the last week of March. In relation to the drivers in Lisbon going up narrow streets. I experienced this lady year in the Algarve. The driver of the vehicle which was like an SUV driving up a very narrow cobbled street. I was thinking to myself they have great steering control. I couldn't imagine Irish drivers doing it😀

Advertisement