Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Laser eye surgery with optilase

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

Pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

I'm still in the consultation phase (back in today for a final test), so I'm not sure where the small print is in this case :)

Is it fair to assume from your comment that the lifetime guarantee isn't as worthwhile as it seems?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

The lifetiime garauntee will be rendered useless by the small print. But at least you will be able to read the small print after your procedure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Lavieenrose

This is absolutely not the case and if Optilase refused to redo your surgery you should get on to a solicitor ASAP (assuming you're still within time - 6 years for a breach of contract).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Read the small print first. There will be get out clauses in there.

• Advertisement

As a practising lawyer, I did read the small print pre-surgery, and didn't come across anything suspicious. Even it there were such a clause, it would qualify as an onerous or unfair clause and would need to be specifically brought to the customer's attention. The protections for consumers under Irish and EU law are extensive so companies don't get away with things like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Got mine done with optilase a long time ago, so don't remember the small print. But I do remember asking and being told that the operation is about resetting your eyesight back to 20/20. The "guarantee" is that the surgery was successful (i.e. that your eyesight was recalibrated). If your eyes deteriorate again later on (which they will likely do at some stage), then that's a different matter. This is why, at the time, they only recommended it for people aged 21 - 45, as a lot of people's eyesight changes during puberty or once they've hit their 50's.

15 years since I've had it done, and my eyes are still fine. But I do expect that there is a chance that, when I am older, I may need glasses again.

As for my "recovery" and post-op experience. I had no pain at all during recovery from LASEK. In the months afterwards, I did experience quite a few occurrences of dry/bloodshot eyes. And my eyes were definitely more sensitive to bright sunlight than before, but either I have gotten use to it, or it faded away as I haven't noticed it as an issue in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 lasalle

I got laser correction at the mater private clinic 20 years ago, i had very dry eyes from overuse of contact lenses. Had to keep using drops for a good 6 months after the operation for the dryness, other than that i’ve had no issues since

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Hi, all.

I’m nearly a year out from lasik surgery with Optilase in Ely Place. I was around -1.75 in both eyes if I remember correctly beforehand and I’m happy to report I’ve 20/20 vision now and absolutely no issues to report. Any and all side effects cleared up and I honestly don’t have any issues with my eyes.

I went for my 12 month check up yesterday and i was told the eyes looked perfect. I was able to read the smallest slide of letters they had.

I was watching my brother squint at the tv last weekend and i said to him that the procedure is uncomfortable because someone is messing with your eyes, the following 3-4 hours could be really painful, but I highly recommend getting it done even knowing that now. I can’t imagine myself still using daily contact lenses and dealing with glasses. I’m hoping this lasts for as long as possible but for now it’s been worth every penny.

I was told that unless something unexpected happens then I should get a regular eyesight check every 2-3 years and the optician said hopefully i can expect 15-20 years of good eyesight before i see any real regression due to age. Obviously that’s not a guarantee but it was nice to hear that she was confident enough to say that.

Best of Luck to anyone starting the journey. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 charmicat

Could anyone send me a referral code please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭alicenyhan

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Sophb95

Would anyone mind sharing a referral code? Booked in for prk surgery on Wednesday :) thanks so much in advance!

PM sent! 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 11 FluidProfessor

Hi all,

I just called Optilase for the refer a friend scheme. They told me that I am not eligible to use my friend's referral because I already had the eye consultation and neither of us will get the €100.

Has anyone faced the same problem?

That's rubbish, once it's before the surgery you should be fine. Call them again tomorrow and you'll hopefully get someone else answering the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 flyingpig

Would anyone mind sharing a referral code please? thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Maz1234

Hey everyone. Anyone looking for a referral to get 100€ off or for details give me a message! Honestly the best thing I have ever done I completely recommend it. Got it done in cork in September and the recovery was great 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭cowmoo

I need glasses for both reading and distance, was Lasik used for something similar as my eyesight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Peachy1

Hi,I am getting laser eye surgery with optilase next month,does anybody have a referral code please?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Tio07

Anyone have a referral code please?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭alicenyhan

• Registered Users Posts: 2 a0d

any referral codes going?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭NicoleM0001

I have my referral available for Optilase 100e off

Pop me a message here💖

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Brianwilliam1986

Hi

Anyone have referral code please ??

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Fluffypatcat

Anyone who weight trains - How long after having surgery did you get back to lifting weights?

I had prk & I'm being told 2 weeks (because the gym could be dusty??)

Advertisement