Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work related travel, feel deceived and not happy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

I certainly agree with you OP, if regular travel is required then this most definitely should have been pointed out during the interview. It can be argued of course that you could have asked during the interview phase, and fair enough, take it as a lesson learned I guess. The onus was definitely on your employer to make this known.

Now, as to how you now go forward, I would certainly not advise passing probation, sticking your heels in, and then hoping you will be safe since it is more difficult for them to get rid of you. They will most certainly be able to can you without too much effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Gusser09

If travel, either foreign or domestic, is a requirement of a role it will 100% be stated in the contract and in the specification of the role which is being advertised.

The OP would have every right to complete his probationary period and after 12 months refuse to go anywhere. That's the real point here. Near on impossible for the company to get rid of him for that reason then.

I fully understand where the OP is coming. If you can't travel having your employer trying to force the issue is unfair and can lead to issues in peoples lives.

I know there are a lot of company men on here who think the corporations and multi-nationals can do no wrong and we should be kissing there arses every chance we get but a contract is contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,132 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

OP I stopped reading one I came to this

"You're correct regarding my rights during probation, however, if I go option 1 in my original post after passing probation it'll be a lot hard for them to get rid of me."

Based on 50 years working, some with big international entities, the piece in bold is naive in the extreme. You really seem to be out of your depth here.

This facet of Irish law apparently doesn't apply to the OP, for super secret reasons that he can't tell us about.

Strange that the OP did travel before, knew that he hated it, knew that it was possible in his industry, yet despite it being such a red line issue for him he still didn't think it worth his time to ask the question himself in the interview.

Not that it matters anyway, because the OP has zero interest in hearing anything that doesn't agree with his feelings of hard done by.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,593 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I assume it's a hard to fill role so the op thinks they might make some accomodations.

I'm not sure why your feelings or the ops come into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,693 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I wouldnt be taking the moral high ground when your advice is to try pass probation and refuse to go anywhere. What kind of nonsense is that, it is no ones best interest. Do you really think that because its not explicitly stated in the contract that a couple of trips abroad is unreasonable. Nonsense.

• Advertisement

we haven't been told the locations to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

It's far more plausible than an international bank tricking prospective employees into accepting a job under false pretences and then hoping it'll all work out, or that an international bank doesn't have any mention of travel in their hiring documentation. If/when the OP broaches this subject with his/her line manager, I'll bet they will have a very different perspective to the OP.

I see so rather than take the OPs story as is. You've created your own fantasy version of it, because that suits the answer you want to give than then situation the OP actually described.

From the first post "...country with a very high homicide rate..."

yes, so as i said we haven't been told the locations, or where in the country it is either.

• Advertisement

Do you think it's likely that the OP has been deceived wilfully?

We've been told international travel to another country likely dangerous. Do you want a room number or something.

Nope, just speaking from my own experience it really, really seems like a big omission from all three of the initial job spec, the interview process and whatever HR documentation (contract, handbook etc) that the OP would have got.

The OP has also stated that he/she has been "deceived" - i.e. intentionally misled - on a number of other issues as well, after only a week of employment? The travel is the only one we've been given any details of.

I have absolutely no idea where the truth lies but it seems bizarre that an international bank would be running such a sh1tshow, so yes, I am at least open to the possibility that the OP's take is not 100% complete, unbiased and accurate, or that he/she is simply mistaken.

TBH it's the OP's flat-out refusal to accept even the possibility that this was an innocent oversight that has my radar up.

And any employee who talks about "making it harder to get rid of me" is a disastrous hire.

Its happens enough to be plausible.

I certainly wouldn't claim it never happens.

Well thats what you did. Discounted the OP story in favour of your own.

I would agree that there's enough red flags from this employer that I'd be looking for the door.

If the company is happy to do what it takes, they can hardly complain when the employee mirrors that and does what suits them. Two sides of the same coin.

the name of the country would be useful to give some context. And if the country is indeed dangerous im sure the OP can have a grown up conversation with their manager outlining the concerns. However the impression the OP has given is that travel full stop is the issue, the fact that they see the location as dangerous is an ancillary concern.

I'm not discounting it, just seems like a really unfortunate confluence of events, and the OP is throwing up enough flags to make me believe that there may well be two sides to this story.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,132 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

So its America then. The OP does not want to travel to the United States of America.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

The OP doesn't need to name the country, they could list somewhere and the responses would be that it isn't that bad compared to whatever other random place.

They're not being sent to Zurich or Amsterdam.

The OP's skills seem to be in demand, given that there was no mention of travel in the interview process, let alone travel to somewhere perceived as dangerous, I wouldn't put it beyond the employer to have deliberately not mentioned it to get someone in.

• Advertisement

If the OP's skills are in demand then the OP should be easily able to find a job elsewhere where they can ensure during the interview process that they wont be required to travel internationally. As the OP has already stated international travel is the issue, the fact that they feel the country is unsafe is extra information.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,824 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

So basically at no point, before the offer was made and you accepted the offer, was it intimated that travel was a requirement ?

that’s a pretty sizeable fûckup / dîckhead move on behalf of HR and management.

look for another job, because such BS will be unlikely be limited to this issue..

not like you are asked to go to Galway for training it’s a different continent they are sending you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭notAMember

It should be in the contract or an appendix or policy. Read and re-read those OP, just in case you missed it. Travel is not the same as working in another location. For this march request, be clear and say you cannot accommodate the travel request.

My own contract has it in black and white, and every contract I issue also has it. I always bring it up in the interview if travel is even a possibility.

Not everyone can accommodate travel. We are all grown ups here, and plenty of us have other commitments outside work. Not just family responsibilities, also health issues, sports or arts commitments.

Recruitment is a costly process, and it is plainly stupid to not share a travel expectation up front. The hiring process will be an expensive failure and you have to do it all over again.

The OP's skills seem to be in demand, given that there was no mention of travel in the interview process, let alone travel to somewhere perceived as dangerous, I wouldn't put it beyond the employer to have deliberately not mentioned it to get someone in.

It seems counter-intuitive to think that an employer would go to great lengths and expense to get someone whose skills are in demand, only to jeopardise that with deliberate deception of said person on multiple issues.

The most likely explanation remains an innocent misunderstanding/miscommunication.

Then as you suggest which country is irrelevant as is asking for it.

How about you work with the one side you do have.

Dunno why people have to drag people over the coals for asking a question.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,424 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You're right that is counter-intuitive to think that it was done deliberately.

But it is ALSO counter-intuitive to suggest that an MNC HR team just forgot to mention international travel in a job spec. It's a fairly basic part of any job spec these days.

And pearl-clutching about the perils the OP may be subjected to by being asked to visit this place is also unwarranted.

• Advertisement

Have to say it been fairly common in my experience for employers and HR to be deceptive in recruitment processes.

I've been sitting on the interview panel when I've seen them at it as well.

Advertisement