Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beef price tracker 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

I'm envious of that setup Bass. Great to have everything under the one roof, crush and all.

Tough weather to be working outside. Is bad weather good or bad for prices?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Ah Bass, careful now. I see a simmental and a limousin amongst the vermin. Don't start getting big ideas about finishing fancy continental cattle 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭High bike

Push it in a bit they can't reach it lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,968 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

build in two stages the pens you are looking at were orginall strawbedded with a slope up to the crush. Dug it out around 2012/13 and put a tank in. Other side was slatted from day one. Put the crush in from day one, 9''and 6'' soap makes the step.There is a gate closed out against the outside gate so you can dose and fill that pen before running them back accross the central passage. Loading area in front of the crush is 8' wide should have made it 6-8'' wider so a truck ramp would drop into it easier. they get caught in the gate and the closing hanger

I never discrimate agaist coloured cattle, nothing is black and white with me. If I see a margin I buy. The Simentals cost 680@370kgs last August if I remember right. The LM was 360 and cost 660 he was April 21 born I think. The rest are what is often described as scrub calves by some here

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Rusheseverywhere

They were cheap weanlings; off dairy or suckler bred?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Robson99

Bass you need to invest in mats.....they will pay for themselves in a couple of years

They were April 21 cattleso year and a halves. THe sim were off Friesians the LM was a suckler on his first movement

Mats on the other side of the central passage. If there is ever a grant for them I will put them in to this side.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭White Clover

Grand set up there Bass. The crush indoors is a great job. Did you leave the centre passage a bit narrow when you were doing it?

• Advertisement

If you can do a good job on lesser stock then there can be a margin on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

You think even for stores they are worthwhile?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Robson99

Yes.... noticable difference. Always thought it was one of the better things that a few pound was spent on

With heavy finishing cattle ya I would like to have them on mats. However the economics with stores is different it would be very hard to justify 1k+vat/ pen or more than that. It would be costing an investment of 70-80 euro/ head.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

Its 70 or 80 euros per head over how ever many years you have them . So if you got 20 winters out of them it would be 4 euros per head

What you state is more or less coming in with the calf movement changes. If course the usual suspects consider this an issue. Ya the export part is a problem but will be resolved over time.

Add in that with the proposal to do away with calf slaughter before three months will force a change in policy as well by some dairy farmers. If you have to keep poorer quality calves until 3 months it will change breeding policy over time.

Finally Mary's should display breed of dam and sire on display board along with the beef value of the calf. Lads can decide then on what a calf is worth.

Any poorer quality calf at 3 months has a lot of the donkey work done with him. If he was costing you sub 100 euro he still leave you a few bob to finish even if you had to carry him to 26-28 months

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭1373

Looking at the market report from thurles on Monday, AA calves being sold for 10-20 euro each . Right chancers out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I don't think that is the problem. Of course a stronger calf is more attractive to an exporter it is the relative cost of getting him there.

A strong six to eight week old friesian will be attractive to a beef farmer as well

A lot of them could be off heifers. If it's a real easy calving bull they have poor enough genetic potential. They may have a lifetime gain of under 5-600 grams per day.

Milk powder is 60-70 euro a bag. If the calf is only 10-14 days he will need 1.5 bags at least.

I would not bet on it. More and more the better type AA &HE ate being bough privately by rearers direct from farms. No rearers will go back to places where there are poor genetic calves. Hard to spot them in a mart.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭1373

Without seeing the calves, I assumed they were black Jersey cross which were put down as AA on the cards

• Advertisement

You are a gas man subbing the scrub calves now

I can see a situation in the near future where lads pay fellows to take the lesser dairy calves

These calves can’t find a market at home so they are worthless and in my opinion scrubs. Subbing these poor quality calves to be live exported a little later.

Scrub has often been used to describe low quality.

If they can’t be sold in the mart then it may turn out that lads have to pay other farmers to take them maybe even in a contract rearing style set up.

The mart, I would imagine.

The sfp is being cut. I don’t see too much welfare going around.

Would you consider rearing a few dairy calves or going in to milking yourself?

It’s a tough game rearing bucket calves and as we know every year there are thousands more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Fine Day

I did a few pens 3 years ago and did the rest last year. All with comfort mats. 16 foot 6 slat was €1500 per bay fitted all in so not cheap. Able to claim back vat on it so it took Abit of it. I be hoping they will be good for 15 year minimum. I can hold 13 finishing heifers in a pen. So after claiming vat we call it €1300ish per bay. So less than €100 a year and just over 7 euro per animal per year. Not alot really when you look at it that way. I think they more than pay for themselves. Also I have never had to take an animal off the slats of the slats since I got them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Exporters won’t take them bad calves as none of the clients want them, simple as that. Why do you think they are left here, agree what you are saying about scrub and subbing the poor quality calf is only for one end means the dairy man and certainly not the beef man. The beef man needs a good animal to work with and let it be a Fr, Aa, or what ever dairy cross but as you say can’t be scrub. The suckler mans stock always sell even in bad times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

A simple question why do you hate the suckler cow so much, did you get attacked by one or something.

I wonder will the post June fall off intensify as more and more dairy culls come on the market soon from the post 2015 era? Might put even more pressure on fellas finishing late in the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭Grueller

It's not a question of hate at all Sheep breeder. I am on record here as having called myself a suckler cheerleader in the past, but I would do anything with my land short of planting it now rather than go back at sucklers. I made a margin out of them, but it was tiny and I can show you all the KPIs that had me well in the top ten percent in the country.

Look at it in terms of cold hard economics. If a lad has a suckler costing €750 a year to keep and he averages €1000 a head for weanlings he has run a fairly tight ship. That leaves €250 a head for a margin. For a €35,000 wage then a lad needs 140 of them. That is a workload that is unsustainable by anyone's standards for the remuneration.

Any reasonable dairy cow this year has sold €3300-3500 in milk. Teagasc have the cost of a cow, including rearing her replacement at €2200. That is a €1100 margin. Let that sink in for a while and that's before you add calf sales at all.

I don't think JJAMESON hates sucklers,just understands that they make no sense anymore. Subsidising such a flawed production system would be throwing good money after bad.

The beef factories are now crying over the sucklers demise, only a couple of years ago they were saying beef was beef and it mattered not one stocking of sh1te whether it came from suckler bred stock or dairy cross.

The last point I have to make is that a good family friend here has a fall back argument for sucklers here that, if you needed money in a hurry it's there in the suckler, while the dairy cow is only valuable either on point of calving or freshly calved. My argument is that most suckler farmers are in trouble from having stock that doesn't pay its own way in the first place and if they changed system they probably wouldn't want that money in a hurry.

There are lads making a decent living in suckler to beef. It’s not massive money but if the aren’t interested in converting to dairy then I don’t see the issue.

The poor quality dairy calves will probably end up being subsidised.

The dairy expansion in Ireland was subsidised through tax free rents, tams grants etc.

The calves were hard sold last year. Say you got 600 for a freisian bullock yearling. That’s a lot of work for that return.

Its not about hate its about economic reality. As I have posted here before there must be some amount of lads making money selling suckler farmers stuff from the way the farm organiations and the journal amoung other get so excited against giving farmers money to exit them. At present 70%ish of suckler calves are subsidised to the tune of 150/head, from this year on that will increase to 200+ yet they are still a extremely low margin system. I cannot understand the opposition to paying farmers to exit a system that is nobody business but there own.

You will carry 1.5 calf to beef unists easier than a suckler cow and 2+ if the suckler bred calf is being finished. You will carry 2+ store to beef units and 3 if the suckler bred animal is finished. Lads at the calf to beef system are hitting 500+ of a net margin per unit and store to beef man is 250+/head net. These systems are easily managed and if handling dairy bred stock herding is very easy against the average suckler cow that wean's 0.8 calves per year.

The amount of lads wanting to exit sucklers is sizeable, they are going to leave anyway......and the government were going to pay them until the farm organisations threw a tizzy along with the rag and the processors.

Whether we like it or not the amount of dairy bred stock is going to increase in this country, export of calves will reduce at best if not cease. You just have to look at lamb prices at present to see what happens when the processors get the upper hand similar to beef in 2018 here. Again the same lads as are aginst the suckler cow exit payment were not in our corner then either.

There will always be sucklers in this country, there will be a core of farms big and small along the west coast that have little choice. its makes much more sense for lads on better land types to look at other options.

in the words of the great John Shirley ''while it never pays to breed a bad one it often pays to buy one''

Slava Ukrainii

Suckler and calf to beef lads are exiting the system as is. I don’t see the need for an exit payment

Lads rearing poor quality dairy calves will need a subsidy or a dig out to stick at Id say.

The lads weaning .8 calves to cow need to seriously up their game

when you buy a friesian at 3 weeks old or 3 years old if you want a margin on him you carry him to the hook the mart is no place for friesians.. Even when finished they seldom make more in the mart than the factory. I saw a fine 730 kg FR bullock (34 months) make 1630 today in Castleisland on the hook he would have made 1880 euro. He had two moves seller laft 250 behind him IMO. Now I taught it was poor weight for him if the seller had bought him at about 11 months. If I bought him at that age I would have him hung at sub 30 months at 40-50 kgs lighters at most

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

That’s the point though. In my opinion you need to carry stock to finish to get the benefit @Sheep breeder I think you would agree with that and that you need to ideally have a bit of quality breeding in your calf to beef stock.

1880 might sound like a lot but I have done bullocks at 24 months at 2k and heifers over 1500 at around the same age in 22.

You operate a tidy operation and are making a good profit.

The future in beef in my opinion depends on a low input cost model.

So its ok to subsidize farmers for every other sort of thing. You could make the same excuse for the fodder schme, farmers were going to make fodder anyway. Why give payments to suckler farmers in the form of BEEP etc they are going to produce calves anyway. The IFA were very fast in 2019 and 2020 ( i think they were the years) to give finishers and suckler farmers a payment when the processors were acting the mick. Yet when the Government were coming with a wad for the beloved suckler cow there was consternation by a rabble and while I can see the processors reason I can see nobody's elses reason

You and a lot of other are being hypocritical. Are you afraid you will be the only one left with a suckler cow.

Slava Ukrainii

I didn’t bother with that scheme myself. Prices were on the floor in 2020 but rebounded nicely and we did well.

There is a place for subsidies. The fodder support scheme was taken up by a lot of beef farmers. Did you take it up?

We can see the reduction in the sfp etc. I go back to my point I think it’s essential to operate a low input cost model in beef.

I don’t think that much of the ifa if I am being honest.

I don’t see myself as a hypocrite for staying in sucklers. If I was weaning .8 calves to the cow or like Angus woods slating the industry in my job while continuing at them on the side then it would be hypocritical

THere was a lad on here doing friesians from calves he was hanging them at about 360 kgs at 28 months. Lads are buying friesian calves 4 weeks old at sub 50 euro at present. That lad would have turned 1800/head last year. He feeds no meal the second winter. You have a mental block about production. There is a lot of us know its about keeping costs low. With friesians its a matter of not tying to finish over a winter. At that calf cost if prices hold this year that lad will have a net margin og 800+/head. If he can keep 1.5/ suckler unit he will have a comparable net margin of 1200 euro compared to a suckler farmer selling his calf as a weanling. How many sucklers average that for weanlings in the country I say I could count them on one hand.

Slava Ukrainii

What were his costs like as in how much meal was he feeding them to finish them at 28 months?

My bullocks would be way heavier than his at 25 months not to mind 28

• Advertisement

I am not saying you are a hypocrite for staying in sucklers but you are for being against the suckler exit payment as were the FJ journalists and the farm organisations. Yes I took the payment just like I took what I got from the second BF payment, I had to pay back the first one as I only got 400 euro and I was unwlling to reduce by stocking level by 5%.

Slava Ukrainii

I am against the payment because the cull price is good at the minute. I don’t see the need for it. We are seeing continuing exit in sucklers as it is.

The genesis of the scheme is the methane argument and to me there are better ways to deal with it as in improving genetics, sequestration and maybe methane reducing boluses

Other than as a calf I think he was feeding 1kg during the first winter and 3kgs 6-8 weeks pre finish probably sub 300 kgs.

Slava Ukrainii

That’s very good for freisians to be fair. I’d say he would have struggled in 22 with the drought etc.

Hopefully we see a decent price this spring summer and we don’t get hit with a drought again

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Interesting comparison of grass and grain fed beef in the US, fillet pronunciation is a bit different, comments are worth a look through too.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭somewhat disappointed

Good to see we are coming back to reality for cattle prices. If inflation had continued the prices which were achieved for cattle 40 years ago Today's level seems to be levelling out. I have seen Hereford and Angus bullocks make prices in excess of €3 a kg liveweight. At the moment Farmers appear to be going to get paid for hard work which they have put in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Had my agent onto me over the weekend looking for bulls. It’s a good sign but has the price rise slowed down a bit this week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Fine Day

Agriland had this week that some farmers are achieving €5.45 for Angus heifers flat. There seems to be a great demand for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭DBK1

I saw that too and was wondering was it a misprint. That would be a very bad price for Angus heifers at current base price unless they were very poor stock or from non QA farms.

Angus would generally average O+ killout. At €5.20 base that would be €5.08. Add 20 cent for QA and its €5.28. There’s minimum 20 cent and in some places up to 30 cent AA bonus so that would have you at €5.48 - €5.58 on the grid.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭newholland mad

What are cull cows making. These should kill either side of 400kg and o's bordering on r. Quoted 3.60 and 3.80 from one factory but got busy lambing and didn't get time do any more about it since.

• Advertisement
Advertisement