Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Awesomeness never comes cheap…!

124»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

If you want to test out and play around with pace pro just set up another course for your regular training route - and then go out and run it. It's a good idea to tweak the data fields setup to suit you at this point as well

It doesn't beep for me when off pace, unlike the workouts. It will show you how far ahead/behind you are after each lap, and adjust the target pace of the next lap accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭babacool

that's the thing...i don't have a set workout course :D. I just go out and run making up the route then. But yea..should have probably used that before. Good to know though that it wont beep. I might just set it up and use it on the day and see. I assume i could just cancel it mid run if needed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

No need to cancel even, just scroll away from the screen and forget its there :)

Road to Dublin:

Week 1:

Monday: 6k easy

Tuesday: 8*3min @ 3:45 (120)

Wednesday: Rest

Thursday: 14k easy

Friday: 7.5k easy

Saturday: 3*8min - 4*5min - 5*2min (120) (4:05/ 3:55/ 3:45)

Sunday: 30k @ 4:25

Weekly Mileage Running: 100km

Weekly time on Bike: 3hrs

Week 2:

Monday: 8.5k easy

Tuesday: 7*4min @ 3:35-3:40 (90)

Thursday: 6k easy

Friday: 6k easy

Saturday: Half Marathon

Sunday: 24k @ 4:35

Weekly Mileage Running: 88km

Weekly time on Bike: 2hrs

Week 3:

Monday: 10.5k easy

Tuesday: 8*3min @ 3:25-3:30 (60)

Thursday: Double Day 6k / 9k easy

Friday: 14k easy

Saturday: 25min up 4*(10-5min (3:50/3:40)) 25min down

Sunday: Double day 30k @ 4:40 / 7k very easy

Weekly Mileage Running: 120km

Weekly time on Bike: 3.5hrs

Week 4:

Monday: Double Day: 10k / 5.5k easy

Tuesday: 15min up 3 * 1min on/off – 8k @ 3:45 – 3*45sec on/off – 15min down

Wednesday: 6k easy

Thursday: Double Day: 12.5k / 7k easy

Friday: 10k easy

Saturday: 3k up – 4*(5-1k) @ 3:50/4:30 – 3k down

Sunday: 20k steady (4:11 pace, done by feel not by pace)

Weekly time on Bike: 0.5hrs

Week 5:

Monday: 13k easy

Tuesday: 18min up – 4*(4-3-2-1min @ 3:30-3:35) (90/240) – 18min down

Wednesday: 14k easy

Saturday: 3k up – 2*1mile @ 3:30 (180) – 10*1mile alternating pace (3:40/4:20) – 2*1mile @ 3:30 (180) – 3k down

Sunday: 20k easy to steady

Weekly Mileage Running: 122km

Weekly time on Bike: 45min

Week 6:

Monday: 12k easy

Tuesday: 12k easy

Wednesday: 13min up – 3*2miles @ 3:30 (300) –14min down

Thursday: 26k easy

Saturday: 3.5k up 23k @ steady to moderate 2k down

Sunday: 12k easy (hilly)

Weekly Mileage Running: 115k

Weekly time on Bike: 0hrs

Week 7:

Monday: 10k easy

Tuesday: 10k easy

Wednesday: 2.5k up – 8k @ 3:45 – 10min @ 4:30 – 8k @ 3:45 – 4k down

Thursday: 9k easy

Friday: 9k easy

Saturday: 9k easy

Sunday: 15min up - 10k alternating (3:40/3:50) – 20min down

Weekly Mileage Running: 90k

right. Weekend went ok ish. The easy runs been sort of a struggle. Mentally they felt like a 20k run during peak mileage weeks. Never really looked forward to any of them and always glad when over. Plenty of leg exercises every day, to manage the issue. It's time to fully rest and focus on getting it sorted rather than jumping on the next train. Sunday went surprisingly well. Looked at the 2019 session and seen a bit of a struggle back then. No issue this time around. Tired legs...sure. But pace and effort wise it felt good. Final week... Seriously cannot wait for this to be over! No fun if you just have to go day by day and always fear that the issue fully returns. Drama queen...I know. And considering I ran with that issue almost the entire months of June and July not really seeing it as an issue, I know I will be fine. Especially knowing that at race pace it shouldn't be of any issue. I just don't know what will happen after 20miles :D. Last thing I want is having to walk 10k just to finish!

Well, just to get that off my back:

monday was supposed to be 5k easy. Started off. Legs felt great. Never felt so good on the first day of the last week. How much in enjoyed that run. Well the first 1000m.

after that left leg gave in. Not the leg but the muscle connecting glutes, hamstring etc (I think). All tighten up in not a nice way. Stopped at 1.5k and thought I could stretch it out. Nope. So went on (plan was 2.5k out and back). 1.7k in decided to turn around. Pace was still decent despite me thinking I slowed down. So 4k in decided to do a detour and run a bit on grass to see if that helps. Didn’t get worse but not better either so back home. 5k done.

so sore after and all night. Couldn’t lie on my right side nor left. Fun time. Physio on Tuesday.

hop test - no issue. Cool no stress fracture.

bending hip left and right - no issue. Cool hip is ok.

”lie on your belly” he said. So I did. He pressed on a muscle in the butt and I screamed like a baby. Spasm or whatever the term is. 20min of him “torturing” me. Went home still being sore but at least ok to sleep.

Wednesday session. Physio saying “go for it and see how it feels”. So plan was 6k at MP. First 300m of warm up no issue. Then tightened up again. Knowing it wouldn’t cause an injury I went on. Completing the warm up with discomfort there but manageable. Into the pace. 3:54 first k and struggled. Picked up the pace. 3:47 next k and still struggled but not more than the first k. Discomfort but manageable. 3k **** that. Pace 3:46. Still struggling and now starting to impact the knee. Sharp corners it felt like something will pop on the outta knee. Continued hoping it will ease off. Did slightly on inclines but straight back on flat and downhill. Decided to slow down after 20min (roughly 3:47 avg at this stage). 2k warm down (or so). Muscle sore all evening and night. Almost no sleep.

thursday - not a happy feeling all day. Feeling it when walking and sitting etc. went on the bike for 35min hoping this will help. It did a bit afterwards. Feeling it now again though. Physio still saying I shouldn’t give up right now but here is me thinking “just throw in the towel and call it a **** day”. Seriously don’t fancy a trip to the expo (total of 2.5-3hrs gone from the day for that) and then decide on Saturday “it’s all over”.

on the bright side - the right leg is in perfect shape. Considering that’s the one causing the break in august, that’s great news. Just getting this one right has caused the other to give up. Seriously need a loooooooong rest!

• Advertisement

Right… decision been made. Unless something really chances overnight I’ll give it a go. Did 3.6k today. Hasn’t really improved overall but I assume it will be ok for about 10-15k. Plan now is to go out hard (only as hard as planned anyways) and hope to get to 15-20k still being on pace.

if I then have to slow down, I should still be good for a 3:00-3:10 finishing time. Let’s see…. Here is to hope that j won’t regret the decision.

Road to Dublin:

Week 1:

Monday: 6k easy

Tuesday: 8*3min @ 3:45 (120)

Friday: 7.5k easy

Saturday: 3*8min - 4*5min - 5*2min (120) (4:05/ 3:55/ 3:45)

Sunday: 30k @ 4:25

Weekly Mileage Running: 100km

Weekly time on Bike: 3hrs

Week 2:

Monday: 8.5k easy

Tuesday: 7*4min @ 3:35-3:40 (90)

Thursday: 6k easy

Saturday: Half Marathon

Sunday: 24k @ 4:35

Weekly Mileage Running: 88km

Weekly time on Bike: 2hrs

Week 3:

Monday: 10.5k easy

Tuesday: 8*3min @ 3:25-3:30 (60)

Thursday: Double Day 6k / 9k easy

Saturday: 25min up 4*(10-5min (3:50/3:40)) 25min down

Sunday: Double day 30k @ 4:40 / 7k very easy

Weekly time on Bike: 3.5hrs

Week 4:

Monday: Double Day: 10k / 5.5k easy

Tuesday: 15min up 3 * 1min on/off – 8k @ 3:45 – 3*45sec on/off – 15min down

Wednesday: 6k easy

Thursday: Double Day: 12.5k / 7k easy

Saturday: 3k up – 4*(5-1k) @ 3:50/4:30 – 3k down

Sunday: 20k steady (4:11 pace, done by feel not by pace)

Week 5:

Monday: 13k easy

Tuesday: 18min up – 4*(4-3-2-1min @ 3:30-3:35) (90/240) – 18min down

Wednesday: 14k easy

Saturday: 3k up – 2*1mile @ 3:30 (180) – 10*1mile alternating pace (3:40/4:20) – 2*1mile @ 3:30 (180) – 3k down

Sunday: 20k easy to steady

Weekly Mileage Running: 122km

Weekly time on Bike: 45min

Week 6:

Tuesday: 12k easy

Wednesday: 13min up – 3*2miles @ 3:30 (300) –14min down

Thursday: 26k easy

Saturday: 3.5k up 23k @ steady to moderate 2k down

Sunday: 12k easy (hilly)

Weekly Mileage Running: 115k

Week 7:

Tuesday: 10k easy

Wednesday: 2.5k up – 8k @ 3:45 – 10min @ 4:30 – 8k @ 3:45 – 4k down

Thursday: 9k easy

Friday: 9k easy

Saturday: 9k easy

Sunday: 15min up - 10k alternating (3:40/3:50) – 20min down

Weekly Mileage Running: 90k

Week 8:

Monday: 5k easy

Tuesday: 5k easy

Wednesday: 2k up 6k @ 3:50 (300) 3*800 @ 3:45 (90) 2km down

Thursday: 5k easy

Friday: rest 

Saturday: 15min easy - 800m @ 3:45 - 2min easy

Sunday: Marathon

keeping this here for records in case I ever need it again. What I would change: 20% higher mileage by adding 2 doubles per week and increasing a few long runs (after the workouts). Sessions I wouldn’t change as I do believe it worked.

What really happened in week 8:

Week 8: 

Monday: 5k easy but in discomfort

Tuesday: forced rest

Wednesday: 2k up 20min @ 3:45 2km down

Thursday: 40min very easy cycle

Friday: forced rest 

Saturday: 15min easy with 600m at race pace

Sunday: DCM

did what I said I would. Went out as hard as I planned to go out using the pace pro function based on 2:37 target.

realized as early as walking to the start from car park that this will be a struggle. Felt the leg already and slightly limping. Went out slightly ahead pace but settled into it after 2-3k. Leg defo made itself noticeable but I continued to push. Splits been good, breathing felt good but legs starting to get tired and uncomfortable. On pace til Castleknock. Watch then said “next split 3:32 pace” as going downhill. Couldn’t hit that as it just gotten uncomfortable. Noticed at this stage that it will be tough. Kept going til 10mile marker. 61:28 or so. Plan was to be no slower than 60:30 to really continue hard. So decided to slow down and just jog til the end with probably at least 20 times telling myself “drop out. What’s the point”.

happy that I didn’t though and got through in one piece. 2:53 in the end. Could have gone faster. Probably dip under 2:50 if really wanted to but didn’t see the point in it. Wouldn’t have made any difference to me. Think that’s been the first marathon where I crossed the line not being in agony. No final sprint or anything. Weird feeling.

have to admit, happy that this is over. Need a break. A long break. As the title of this blog says: awesomeness doesn’t come cheap…! It most certainly doesn’t. You pay for it. The time you need to invest. The impact it has on those around you even if you think there is non as you “run very early” or “very late” or “during lunch breaks”. It has an impact and that needs to be well judged and measured. I am definitely grateful to have a family that fully supports me and is ok with this madness for a few weeks per year.

what made me smile after the race when I came home. My wife asked my 6 year old “guess who is back” and he answered “the most awesomeness daddy”… so yea. I might not be awesome (yet) in terms of marathon times (2:39 is no longer anything special) but I’m definitely awesome in the eyes of my kids 😁.

lessons learned this year:

1. I’m getting old and need more breaks
    2. i like marathons but no more than 1 per year
    3. i also like short races (3000m) and know I need those 5-10k distances (I don’t like those)
    4. no marathon in 2023. Main goal is to get my half marathon time down to 72min
    5. supershoes are useless (for me 😁). Will wear down the ones that I have but probably not going to replace any of them. Maybe one for racing but hoka only. I see the benefit from Nike and ASICS but can’t say I enjoy them. as soon as all those that I have are gone back to Clifton’s for training and 1 other pair for racing. The heavier the shoe during training the better.
    6. 2:30 will fall at some point. I’m not going to stress about it.

so here is to a new chapter.

Let’s name it “back to the future” or “2:25 in 2025 before turning 45”? 🤔.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Well done, and good luck with no marathons next year 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Enjoyed reading that. You seem to have had a similar meh type experience to me. I PB'd but it's not that big a deal for me. Shoes and supershoes are a bit of an issue for me too. I wore Vaporflys but I don't like them. Likely go back to the Sauconys I love them.

• Advertisement

Race schedule is already set. There is no room for marathons 😂.

I stick to hoka. Tried different types now and let’s just say, I can’t get any non hoka shoe to work. And with regards to Dublin I should have stopped after the half. The half I enjoyed to the extent of “wow that time after that break. Wow!” But should have just stopped. Taken off a further 2 weeks and then do Xc. I just had no motivation to push. No interest in going hard all the way just to run a bit faster. Knowing that those 4 weeks of no running meant I’m not 100% in shape.

Anyways, I don’t look back. I never have any regrets. I take every experience as an opportunity to learn from it and try to do better next time! 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Good to see that you finished it - but worrying that you were limping at the start and still ran - we're a mad bunch aren't we.

Do you not have a coach who set the plan (same coach as SQuinn)? If so - Will you be continuing with him into the future?

Had a coach and same time didn’t. Been mentally burnt out with training and realized that during august when I couldn’t run. The training was great, effective and would recommend to anyone to give it a go. He is a great coach and definitely gets you to improve. I just reflected as to why I was soo delighted to get a break and why I kinda was praying for the physio to say “stop running and cancel Dublin” back then, that I realized although the training worked I stopped enjoying it. It took me more time to figure out how to get it done with minimal impact on family life that this added stress to it.

now one thing that is definitely something I need to change - I wasn’t “honest” with him and did not tell him that I stopped enjoying it. I just got on with the training , did as told and in faireness whenever I asked “can we do this and that race” the response has been “let’s do this”. So it is definitely my fault and nothing the coach could have done (initially). How could he if he didn’t know?!

With regards to the training:

i don’t enjoy tempo runs. I love monster sessions, I love playing with paces, I love mixing it up even during a session to keep the mind sharp. I love what others hate (hill repeats), i hate what Others love (tempo runs, all out sprints). But tempo after tempo after tempo (please note it wasn’t like that all the time just what stuck to me in my memories) had drained me. So after the break I decided to do my own plan for Dublin. Sent some of it over to see what he thinks and would suggest and may or may not alter it. But overall I self coached myself again (also as I took it day by day and didn’t want the burden on anyone to focus on me by creating a plan, a schedule just for me to drop out at any stage).

the run up to Dublin I enjoyed. Only one or two sessions I didn’t enjoy but that was more down to not being well. But the type of sessions put a smile on my face and I was rather looking forward to them (kinda). would have loved to do more mileage but the worry that the injury could stop me so close to the race was too high. Who could have known that I still get an injury caused by making sure the original injury is looked after that will then basically cause me not even getting the minimal goal done?! Probably any coach or physio if I had said how much of strength work I do 😂. Stupid me. Sometimes doing more isn’t the right thing to do.

So to answer your question, will I continue with him? No. As said, great coach, great approach that works (haven’t seen anyone who has had any kind of improvement when working with him). Highly recommend him (you should defo give it a go) and hope we will stay in touch but as for me, unless something changes which I don’t hope, I’ll go “back to the roots”, “back to the future” or however you want to name it 😁.

Recovery phase. Week 1/4:

mentally - all good. A lot better than I thought. Not saying I miss running but at least “I miss working out”. I’d say a few more days and the head will be crying for a run.

physically- not so good. Right leg is ok. As if there was never an issue (no clue of course how it would be if running). Left leg isn’t improving. Feels like it’s more the opposite. Heavy, tired, tightness in upper calf. Still sore in butt area and upper thigh. Especially sleeping on it at night is uncomfortable. Not happy at this stage but hope that’s just the body repairing itself.

Recovery phase. Week 2/4:

up and down through the town. Right leg feeling good. Left leg started to improve. Decided to add a few cycle spins (since i got the indoor system set up). Done 4hrs during the week. All good until Saturday.

did some work (not much) in the garden on Saturday which involved lifting a few (not many) concrete blocks. And bang…. Left butt and leg in general on to me again. Not sore but can feel it. Probably going to take it easy next two days. No cycling and only a few walks with the dog. Will then see on Wednesday if good enough to cycle or should completely rest another day or two.

on the bright side, looking forward to running again. Maybe I can add a run or two in week 4.

Recovery phase. Week 3/4

started off weirdly. No exercise Monday and Tuesday and yet a “new” issue came up. Felt like osteoporosis or whatever that is called. An issue I dealt with for years in the past but didn’t have since 2018 (thankfully) due to keeping up exercises and strength work. Seems like by resting up so the body can heal, that part of the body did the opposite. At least that’s what I thought.

physio on Wednesday (not because of that) to get the body checked up and see what the next step is.

Answer: strength work. 7 exercises to be done twice a week. Decided to do them Mondays and Thursdays. Starting with A1 and working the way down the list.

so a bit of structure been re introduced:

wednesday: 7k easy jog lunch time and 35min easy cycle evening. Funny enough that “new” niggle started to disappear the moment I started the run. Still there but a lot less sore.

thursday: 35min strength work followed by 45min cycle. Legs were gone. Sore, fatigued etc. oh I missed that feeling! Walking up and down the stairs saying “ouch ouch ouch ouch”. 😁.

meant to do an easy jog during evening. No way… couldn’t walk and hence didn’t. Just picked up the little one from training. A typical sprinter session (for an u16 girl with no Supervision and hence not really bothered despite wanting to improve). She did 15min warm up (I think) a total of 10min workout (more rest than anything) and 5min cool down. Sprinters are weird. Decided to offer my help to the club and now supervise her group 2-3 times a week. Her reaction when I told her “what? Please don’t be as you always are and push us!” 😂 oh that will be fun!

friday: 8.5k easy jog in the morning and 30min easy cycle late afternoon. Legs even more fatigued at this stage and even more “ouch ouch ouch” when getting up or walking. Never mind climbing up and down the stairs. Wife already asked “when is your next strength workout?” With a smile on her face!

saturday: 13k easy including parkrun (did that a bit too fast but still on the easy side. Went with the flow. Think 4:25 avg pace for that). Enjoyed that and definitely going back to do Saturday sessions as part of a parkrun.

Sunday: can’t look into the future so no idea what I will really do but for now 10-15k easy jog and 30min cycle. Will depend on the little one and if I supervise her on a hill sessions.

one more recovery week to go then before it is “back to the future”. Looking forward to it!

Recovery week 4/4:

Monday: 30min strength work / 32min cycle

Tuesday: 10k easy jog

Wednesday: 10k easy jog / 45min moderate effort cycle

Thursday: 30min strength work/ 9k easy jog (big mistake)

Friday: 9.5k easy jog

Saturday: 12.5k total including 5k progression run 4:40-4:05

Sunday: 54min moderate cycle

week started off well. Legs felt better and better and strength work feels easier and easier. Definitely getting stronger on that end. Monday strength and cycle been back to back. No issue there. Thursday did strength during lunch break (and 20min walk with the dog afterwards). Decided to run around the track in the evening whilst little one is training. All good first few k until she finished her warm up and drills and I stupidly offered to chase her (her session been 3x250m at 90% effort). Normally her race pace would be close enough to a hard workout. Thought I get away with it since only 250m (closer to 200m as I started a bit ahead to slowly build up pace). Held her pace for roughly 50m and then had to back out of it. Left leg couldn’t handle it. So slowed down and just continued to cruise around. Friday went fine. A bit stiff but fine. Saturday went even better. However, slow ground on Saturday + slightly worn down shoes + effort/ runs last few days + the stupidity from Thursday meant left leg starting to act up Saturday afternoon. Uncomfortable and close enough to feeling during marathon week.

felt a bit better today but not trusting it so decided to skip a run and cycle instead. No point risking anything at this stage.

total for the week:

run: 52km (39k last week)

cycle: 2:12hrs (2:22 last week)

Base building should start next week then but not sure yet. Might do another easy week or two.

Base Building has begun. Back to the future. The return of the Jedi. The empire strikes back. Jay and silent Bob strike back. Halloween II. Name it what you like. 😁

week 1/8

Monday: strength/ 55min cycle

Tuesday: 6.5k easy/ 9k easy

Wednesday: 12k easy

Thursday: strength / 2k up 30min prog (4:55-3:55) 2k down

Friday: 12k easy

Saturday: 3k up 4*(40-30-20sec @ 3:00) (120/180) 3kdown

Sunday: 40min cycle/ 19k easy (mainly on grass and mud)

total:

running: 82km

cycling: 1:38hr

strength: 1hr

week started out ok. Strength session started to feel easier and less of a chore. Not saying I enjoyed it but definitely hated it less. Spin in the evening got a bit out of control. Plan was 40min easy. Ended up 57min moderate. 🤦‍♂️

tuesday legs been a bit tired. Plan was 12k in total but somehow didn’t fancy doing it in one run. No motivation non whatsoever so did a double instead and ended up with more than planned. Was certain I will pay for that on Wednesday.

wednesday comes around. Planned to go out early (after school run) but then decided to sit down on the sofa and turn on Netflix instead. Just didn’t fancy to go out for a run. Netflix on (stranger things) and 30min in to the episode I got bored, got up, put on the running clothes and went for the run. Legs tired and heavy. Picked a slight lumpy route and got around just fine. No issues apart from the tiredness in the legs. Back on the sofa after the run (had a day off 😉) and pizza in the oven.

Thursday strength session during lunch time. Felt tough (not everything but the single leg squats). Put a lot of stress on the right knee. Didn’t enjoy that but went better after each rep. So sucked it up and pulled through. Though wasn’t looking forward to the run in the evening. Really stressed and worried about it. Will I be alright? Will the leg hold up? What shoes to wear, to ensure I get through? Standard trainer? Workout shoe? Race shoe? Where to go? Track? Lumpy route? Really stressed me out despite being one of my favourite runs and pace no where near a tough pace. So why did I stress out that much? Something is definitely not right these days. Never had that before. In the end decided on the most worn down shoes that I have (Clifton 6 with 1087km on them) and a 2k loop with roughly 20m elevation gain per lap. Why? Simply because 10min prior to the run I said to myself “who cares. Just do that so you have something as an excuse in case it goes wrong”. In the end, the run went well. No issues whatsoever. Worked a bit hard at the end but still a lot less than I would have thought. Really surprised me. Bring on Friday!

decided to change my workstation at home and go for standing at the desk and not sitting down all day. Sure why not putting more stress on the legs? Strength workouts, and running and cycling and plenty of walks isn’t enough. Run went fine apart from the obvious tired legs. Nothing knew on that end. Evening comes though and leg starts to act up. Session after the strength workout has caught up (plus all that what went on in addition). Really started to worry me as it was uncomfortable. No pain or discomfort. Just uncomfortable and worrying.

saturday - no breakfast, leg still a bit meh so decided on hop test before the run. Hop test went well so no injury (bone anyways). So decided on doing the session. Put on the most underrated hoka shoe (evo rocket. Really one of my favourites and still no clue why it went under the radar and got discontinued after one version) and went off to the parkrun. No issues throughout the session. Reps felt fine (all by feel and spot on as spot on by feel can be).

Completed the parkrun in 20:05 as part of the session. Can’t complaint about that.

as the day went on leg got worth again. Again not in a bad, bad way but felt like June or so. No pain going up and down the stairs so that was a good sign but needed to rest it a lot. Had planned a 30min cycle that I skipped.

sunday morning just didn’t feel like running with how the leg felt. Really worried me that I may have done some damage last 3 days. So decided to cycle instead and see how the day goes on and May or may not add 6-8k in the afternoon. Think the spin helped flushing out the muscles. Discomfort improved and as the day went on it felt better and better. Around lunch time when the rain got heavy I felt like “I want to go for a run. I want to enjoy running through puddles. I want to get dirty!” So I put on the shoes. Took the torrent for the first time since august, after I passed the hop test again (think that will be the routine for a while). Last memory I had from that shoe was “ouch, ouch ouch. Screw that! I stop running!” Basically the last run attempt that I had before the break in august. So I needed to get over that too. That fear that the shoe was an issue and guess what, the run was just perfect, no pain, discomfort etc. felt just brilliant. Went through plenty of puddles and mud etc. on the road, on grass and so on. No issues! So 6k in to the run, I decided to just do 13k and go home.

on the weeks plan was 16k. I planned 13k! Met a neighbour on my way back home who just started his run. Thought he would be doing 5-6k so decided to run with him for a bit. Turned out he aimed for 10k. Needless to say I went longer overall than I planned or the plan said. Ended up doing 19k. Think that’s ok though after applying some simple math. 16k = plan. 13k = planned. 19k = done. Average between 13k and 19k is 16k. So I basically averaged out what the plan said. Sure coach will see it the same way 😁

reflecting the week and the runs though showed me a few things.

1. I need less shoes. Or at least less choices. Means I will not re stock certain line ups. If they are worn down, they will be replaced with Cliftons
    2. carbon x2. As good as the shoe is, I think it causes a lot of issues on slow runs. Wore those for all easy runs this week and think that has aggravated the issue as the shoe is just a bit too hard on the legs as the benefit kicks in very late. Means I run per week is fine. 2-3 or more will be an issue (for me)
    3. I’ll probably skip the single leg squats for a while. That pressure or the knee seems to be a bit too much to handle right now. Will see how the next week goes. If less issues, I’ll keep it out of the plan. If same issues I’ll add it back again and talk to coach to readjust the plan.

good night!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

My main take away from this is the fact that you got bored watching Stranger Things!

• Advertisement

Well, yes. Still finished that episode when on the stat bike though. 😁

Base Building:

Week 1:

Monday: strength work/ 55min cycle

Tuesday: 6.5k easy / 9k easy

Thursday: strength work/  2k up 30min prog (4:55-3:55) 2k down

Weekly Mileage Running: 82km

Weekly time on Bike: 1.5hrs

Weekly time strength work: 1hr

Week 2:

Monday: strength work/ 9k easy

Tuesday: Up – 3*8min @ 3:45 (180) – down / 34min cycle

Thursday: up – 6*800m @ 3:26 (300) - down

Friday: 10.5k easy

Saturday: up – 3*(4*30sec @ 1mile effort) (90/180) - down

Sunday: 15.5k easy

Weekly Mileage Running: 84km

Weekly time strength work: 0.5hrs

Week 3:

Monday: strength work/ 12k easy

Tuesday: Up – 10-5-10min (3:50/3:40/ 3:50) – down

Wednesday: 12.5k easy

Thursday: up – 2*(4*200 @ 38sec per rep) (120/240) – down / 7k easy

Saturday: 8k easy

Sunday: 60min steady (4:05 pace)

Weekly Mileage Running: 89km

Weekly time on Bike: 0.0hrs

Starting to show signs of improvements. I am enjoying running again. Easy runs are no longer forced and workouts I look forward to and not feel like "i seriously don't want that". Not much to report. Weather obviously played some parts. 3*8min went fine and a lot better than expected but 3*(4*30 sec) splits were all over the place. Not too fuzzed though as effort was there.

Last week was supposed to be "race" week. 10k cross country on Sunday. Race got cancelled (due to ground not soft enough???? really strange) on Saturday afternoon (after I went for that 8k easy), so couldn't just change that to a workout. Planned to do a 10k hard effort/ time trial on Sunday but felt sluggish in the morning. Knew I would hate it and throw in the towel so went for 1hr steady instead. 6-7k on grass, 3k or so on gravel and the rest on road. Had to work to hold the pace on grass (enjoyed that), took it easy enough on gravel (for some reason that gravel stuck to the shoes but the mud on the grass didn't) and felt controlled on the road.

Back home, a bit of breakfast (unhealthy stuff... it's xmas time...who cares!) and then off to the zoo. Good choice as it meant quality family time but bad call as I got cold there. Head cold has returned (struggled with that all week and only felt fine on saturday).

Base Building:

Week 1:

Thursday: strength work/ 2k up 30min prog (4:55-3:55) 2k down

Week 2:

Week 3:

Week 4:

Monday: 11k easy

Tuesday: 3*(4-3-2-1min @ 3:30) (90/180)

Wednesday: 16k steady (4:10-4:20)

Thursday: strength work/ 12k jog (10k easy + 10*(20sec hard / 40sec easy)

Friday: 11k easy

Saturday: 1hr cycle

Sunday: 14.5k steady / 30min cycle

The usual, Xmas coming up, holidays coming up - sickness is creeping into the house. A week of sneezing and coughing everywhere. Personally been fine ish all week. Not fit enough for a race but fit enough to train.

session on Tuesday I enjoyed. Struggled but enjoyed that. It is my all time favourite and can’t remember a single time where I might not have enjoyed it. Pace was a bit all over the place especially since most reps been into the wind. Found it hilarious though that not too long ago I would have done that session with slightly less recovery time (yet same distance covered) and 3:20 per rep instead of 3:30 pace. Crazy how much your pace can drop when focusing on endurance.

with Xmas coming up decided to pull forward Sundays steady long run and do it on Wednesday instead. Didn’t really feel like it. Decided when I got up that I will push it out to lunchtime. Had breakfast and decided to push it out til evening and rather go back to bed after the school run (had a day off) as I didn’t sleep well and felt sluggish. 5min before getting the little one ready I decided to put on the running gear and go for a run. Dropped him off at school, put the coat in the car and started the run. Felt as expected: horrible. Wanted to stop after 2k but decided to do at least 5k. At 5k I decided ti just add a little loop which will bring me to 10k. At 8k I decided to do a different turn to end up with 12k guaranteed just to then end up with a bit more than what I should have done. Runners are weird!!

Saturday plan was a hard parkrun. Felt horrible (as in slow) on Thursday and Friday but was looking forward to it. Little one had other plans though and got sick overnight which meant couldn’t leave him with his big sister (wife volunteered at parkrun which had priority over me running it). Decided to stay home then which wasn’t a bad decision with the weather turning wet. Decided then to not go for a run at all but do a bit of bike work.

Sunday was then supposed to be a day off but with all that food and sickness in the house I needed to go out for a run. Plan was 7k steady, just enough to justify taking a shower. Ended up with a bit more which also meant I was ok for eating a big chocolate cake. (Yes, I ate 60% of the cake and not just a slice! Took it easy on the turkey though. Carbs were needed not protein 😁). The spin in the evening was then just to help the body burning a few percentage of the calories. Considering i didn’t eat anything from 4pm onwards and still felt full this morning, I’d say I burnt a lot less calories than what I should have. Ah well…

one thing I’m delighted with though is the decision to pull out of donadea. Don’t think I would have enjoyed doing 30-40k long runs this weekend or covering 100miles last few weeks (and going forward).

with regards to races for 2023 - will probably get the first few registrations done this week. Something is currently holding me back. Not sure what that is or why.

Base Building:

Week 1:

Week 2:

Week 3:

Week 4:

Week 5:

Monday: 14k easy

Tuesday: 5*1mile @ 3:40 (90)

Thursday: 4*(400-300-150m @ 3:00) (60/180)

Saturday: 5*5min @ 3:20 (300)

Sunday: 17k easy

Weekly Mileage Running: 97km

Weekly time strength work: 0hrs

Few things First:

1. Im heavy at the moment (6-7kg over Race weight)
    2. Not 100% fit. Family sick over Xmas and I got some of it too. Good enough to run but not good enough to be fully fit and having no impact on performance 
    3. No cycling or strength work this week as mileage has slightly increased and I just couldn’t/ find (didn’t want to) time to squeeze those in

Week started off ok. Needed a longer Monday run to burn some calories. Just felt heavy and tired despite not overeating (meat). 

Tuesday session was ok. Knew conditions weren’t Great and surface was Slow. Hence ended up with closer to 3:45 pace but effort was still there. Happy enough with that (splits been: 5:55/ 6:01/ 5:59/ 5:58/ 5:53. Recoveries all around 5:00 pace). However, looked at the Plan and Saturdays session sounded horrifying now. 

Wednesday went as good as a run on tired legs can feel like. 

Thursday- that was fun. Hated it (as I hate every short and sharp session) but it was fun. Done on the track and instead of going by distance went by time (72-54-27sec per rep) and trying to keep effort high. Long reps (72sec) almost spot on every time. Middle split always been a massive struggle. Recovery just been too short to not suffer. Short rep always been fine as a longer recovery was in reach. Fun part been that the sprinters trained on the track too (they did 4*200m all out and plenty of recovery). Twice I crossed their Start line the Moment they Headed off. Sure they dropped me but not by much. Think I “only” lost 6sec or so per rep. Sounds a lot but isn’t really considering im not a sprinter and I finished my first set before they did their first rep. Asked one of the guys “what time are you doing them at” and the answer been “don’t know. We don’t record them”. Buffled me a bit as I do wonder “if you don’t record those sprints, how do you know if you progress or not?” 

Friday I didn’t want to run at all. Felt shite all day. Not in a mood. So happy enough with what I did. 

Saturday- oh you session i was dreading for the right reason (or did it go wrong ish because I was dreading it? Who knows). Lack of sleep, Not feeling well, overweight, legs still tired from Thursday, bonkers pace. Weather etc. whatever excuse I could find i Took as a reason as to why it will be a **** show. And so it’s been. Started off knowing during warm up “ain’t gonna happen but let’s give it a go”. First rep, 2min in or so looked at watch - 3:20. Cool on pace one could think but I suffered. Overdid it that the pace started to drop. 30sec later 3:23, then 3:27 and then 3:30 or so (last time I looked at the watch). I worked hard and yet pace dropped. Wanted to go home at this stage and to avoid that decided to continue in the park. Meant soft underground and hence “it’s ok to run Slower. Just go by effort”. That definitely helped although pace a lot slower than what it should have been (in an ideal world) effort been spot on. Not saying I enjoyed it from there on but at least it didn’t break me mentally. Splits in the end: 3:32 (road) / 3:35/ 3:37/ 3:36/ 3:36 (all wet, soft gravel). 

Spoke to coach after (well evening) and good to know that he is happy with it and that I need to remember: pace is for ideal conditions. So with everything going on at the moment (at least weight and weather) it was never really meant to be a 3:20 but probably 3:25-3:30 for the road section. Means if I hadn’t done the first 2min at 3:20 but 3:30 it might have been fine. Ah well…. 

Sunday morning never a good sign if you get up and have to “force” the dog to go outside for a walk (to do the morning business) and she then decided to sit down as in “nope… I wanna go back home and continue sleeping” (we are talking 8:10am here!!!). Felt the same tk be honest but committed to meet someone at 9am so no other choice then to go out and get it done. Glad I did to be fair. 

Recap for 2022: can’t complain too much at least First half. Sure donadea didn’t go as planned (there will be another go in 1-2 years time) but: Leinster M2 3000m (indoor) Gold, county senior road ind bronze, county M2 road silver, 10k Kilbride winner, Great grocer 5k winner, one of the fastest wwr leg 2 times (for the year), clonee 10k silver (behind Peter somba - no shame in that) and First finisher of eoi howth Marathon aren’t shabby results. Second half didn’t go as planned but plenty of positives taken from that. 

First “race” in 2023: Leinster master Xc. Looking forward to it!

Week 1:

Week 2:

Week 3:

Week 4:

Week 5:

Week 6:

Monday: 13k easy/ strength training

Tuesday: 25min tempo alternating (10-5-10min @ 3:55/ 3:40/ 3:45)

Wednesday: 13k easy

Thursday: 8*200m @38-40sec per rep (120)

Friday: 15k easy (double day)

Saturday: 5*3min @ 3:30 (90) / 35min cycling

Sunday: 19k easy

Week 7:

Tuesday: Mona Fartlek

Wednesday: REST

Thursday: 12k easy

Saturday: 13k easy plus strides

Sunday: Leinster Cross Country Masters

Weekly Mileage Running: 76km

Weekly time strength work: 0.0hrs

Got a bit lazy with updating this or better said, just couldn’t find the time. So here is what I remember from week 6 :D

Tempo session:

Plan Said 3:45/3:35/3:40 but based on ideal conditions, fitness etc. since that wasn’t the case and since I know by now how this should feel I went by feel. Glad I did as otherwise I would have overcooked the first rep and suffered from there on.

5min slightly faster but that’s down to more tail than headwind and slightly downhill.

Forgot how heavy Clifton’s feel on those sessions on that ground 😳

Actual splits been: 3:54/ 3:37/ 3:45

8*200m

Got really confused on the day. Didn’t look at the plan closely enough when setting up the watch. Remembered its 8*200 with 2min recovery jog and that the reps should be around 38-40sec each. For some reason I did not calculate the pace and thought it was as usual 3min pace. So that’s what I setup the watch for. Training starts, warm up is fine, first rep starts I hold the 3min pace, watch beeps and shows 36sec. Erm… what? Spent the recovery section then to calculate the actual pace. 38sec that’s 19sec per 100, that’s 190sec per kilometre, which is a 3:10 pace. Ouch… went too fast.

Watch beeps I head off. Into the wind, thought I need to push a bit so I don’t slow down too much. Watch beeps… 35sec… I am in trouble! Next thought…coach sees that, he will be mad!! Tried to pay a bit more attention to the next few reps but then again I didn’t. Most by feel. In hindsight I should have slowed down as knee started to act up a bit due to overstriding. Pushing too hard is never good.

Splits in the end: 36/ 35/ 37/ 39 (full on headwind :D)/ 35/37/36/38sec. Recovery pace between 4:25-4:55, depending on the section of the course.

Texted coach afterwards…response “recoveries were generous enough to get away with it”…puuhh… that was close!

5*3min

Strava comment on the run: “Legs very, very heavy. Wanted to stop and turn around 2k into the warm up. Surprised how decent session went. Warm down been a struggle. Lactate seemed to build up a lot and got slower and slower. Felt like never ending.” – think that says it all.

Splits:

Week 7. Went to germany for a few days. Business trip combined with visiting family. Meant I wasn’t really able to follow a structure that week and more or less fit in what could be fitted in. More on the road than anything else. Mona Fartlek went ok. Did that in the dark. Pitch black with headlight on. Didn’t really help. Splits were slow (on garmin and strava) but effort was there. I think some GPS issues caused that. Anyways, didn’t really bother about it. Main goal for the week, been the race on Sunday. And what a race its been :D.

I’ll take the liberty to quote @Murph_D here: “which is pretty much the same as you've just done, in reverse, including a b*tch of a hill over rutty ground”

A female dog it’s been indeed! 😫

Start at the beginning.

Didn’t know the course (funnily enough most runners I spoke to on the day didn’t know the course) but knew someone from county wicklow who raced there for county champs before. She mentioned “thank good we only do 1 small lap and then 1 big one. So we only have to deal with that climb at the end once!!!”.

Ok I was prepared…so I thought. Arrived on the scene. Look at the finish line, turned left and saw a downhill section. Enough to put fear into any runners mind considering that’s the finish straight. I thought to myself “oh…that’s a hill indeed! And we will do that twice… ok… bring it on”.

On my own from the club, so no one really to sit down with and by then didn’t see any other runner I knew, so I saw a few Raheny gents heading towards a tree and just decided to follow them (turned out one of them been @Murph_D 😀). Got changed into my warm up gear and headed off thinking, just do an easy 3k loop and get to know the course. So off I went…

Up the finish straight thinking it is tough enough alright (remember I am just back from germany… visited a place where you will hardly cover 40m of elevation in marathon!!!!), came to the top and then downhill. Nice and slow..thinking this will be fun. Muddy but not too muddy. Just stay controlled. Then up and right turn… out of breath and I am going slow… yep..will be fun. Turn around… 1.49k done “oh ok, so here is the halfway mark…good to know”. Back to the second short out and back…downhill again and “what da flying fish is that…..” up a wall. This is going to be hell! And at that moment I realized which hill she meant! Fook….

Race itself. With the knowledge of knowing it will be painful especially since you can easily overcook it the first k or so, I decided to go out slow. Afterall I didn’t go here to get a great time or massive placing. All I wanted was a nice workout and to have fun. And man…I did have that :D.

So we start… everyone sprinting off like lunatics and I am thinking “don’t they know the course????”. Top of the hill before the first downhill section, I would guestimate my position been 70s or 80s. Definitely somewhere at the back of the field (124 runners in total I think). Plenty of pushing and fighting for position, so I slowed down a bit to not get involved especially when I saw 1 person actually falling on his butt and one almost breaking his leg getting tangled up in loose roots! First downhill part done and I started to pick up the first few places. First out and back..a few more places gained. 1.5km even more. Some runners started to drop like flies (it felt like) already… “ha…defo overcooked it” I thought to myself. And yes I admit…I smiled :D.

Second out and back “get ready for the wall”. Took it easy on the downhill just to recover enough for the wall and then straight into it. Man my legs were burning! I think walking wouldn’t have been much slower than me running! Top of the wall… 36th position overall (yes, I gained plenty of spaces between 500m and 2.3km – that was fun, like in a parkrun when you start 30sec behind the field and work your way through :D). How do I know my position? Thankfully myrunresults been so kind posting a “first lap” video on facebook. So I just counted the runners infront of me.

Second lap started. I was now with a runner who seemed to be doing the same as I did. Slow start and then picking up positions. So we more or less went together. Him a lot faster on the downhill (I just couldn’t take any risk), I am faster on the uphill and straights. And to be honest I could write a lot now but in all honesty the only thing I remember was that clane jersey roughly 10-15sec ahead of me that I picked as a target for the wall. So every downhill I went steady, inclines slow (but not easy) and straights hard… came to the wall, picked up the clane runner and a few others and then just tried to stay on my feet til the end. Picked up 1 more runner I think and got overtaken 10m before the line by 2 others. Nothing left… 24th overall! Not bad! Meant I gained a further 12 positions on the 2nd lap! And man I enjoyed that. A brilliant race, brilliant course and soooooo much joy. Couldn’t help but smiling all the way back home and even now. Been a while since I had such a great race experience. It wasn’t about time, it wasn’t about ranking but about having fun!

A few things to take away from it though:

1.     Only negative about the course… too much grass! My legs weren’t muddy enough :D. I was hoping to be covered in mud which wasn’t the case. Ah well…ya cant have it all!

2.     I can see without glasses just fine (I do wear glasses though) on a normal race. Uphill and flat..no issue. Downhill on a rolling, flat surface hill…no issue. Downhill on a tricky one… not good. If I have had glasses on, I probably would have taken a bit more risk running downhill, which overall would have gained probably a further 20-30sec, but that’s just guessing.

3.     So close to scoring for the county. 15sec behind the 4th county runner. Considering county came 2nd a medal was there and I know where I lost those 15sec (looked at his splits… his last k been 3:55…mine its been 3:46. Means if I had been closer to him on the wall… I would have picked him as a target (nice clane singlet…always a good target if Celbridge isn’t there :D).

4.     Leinster and Nationals are great! You meet runners you otherwise wouldn’t as most like we do different races and obviously have different county champs. Met a runner for the first time in person although following him on strava since I follow @Swashbuckler and @AuldManKing. And that’s what.. 6 years now? 😊

1 more week of base building and then the next phase. Can’t wait 😊. Seriously enjoying this training circle so far. 

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nice racing, well done on coming through the field like that. 👍 Good to meet you.

Week 1:

Week 2:

Week 3:

Week 4:

Week 5:

Week 6:

Monday: 13k easy/ strength training

Tuesday: 25min tempo alternating (10-5-10min @ 3:55/ 3:40/ 3:45)

Wednesday: 13k easy

Thursday: 8*200m @38-40sec per rep

Friday: 15k easy (double day)

Saturday: 5*3min @ 3:30 (90) / 35min cycling

Sunday: 19k easy

Week 7:

Tuesday: Mona Fartlek

Wednesday: REST

Thursday: 12k easy

Saturday: 13k easy plus strides

Sunday: Leinster Cross Country Masters

Weekly Mileage Running: 76km

Week 8:

Tuesday: 30min Tempo Alternating Pace (10min @3:45/ 10min @3:35/ 10min @ 3:40)

Wednesday: 12.5km easy

Thursday: 10*30sec hill sprint (120)/ 6.5k easy evening

Friday: 12.5k easy

Saturday: 4*5min @ 3:25 (150) / 30min easy cycle evening

Sunday: 20k easy / 25min strength work + 5k easy evening

Weekly Mileage Running: 108km

Strange week. Started of tired and fatigued (wonder why 😊). Tempo run felt tired during warm up. Didn’t think I had it in me. First rep was a real struggle. Worked really hard to get anywhere near the goal average. Thinking “how am I supposed to go even faster”. Beep beep beeeeeep the watch says and off I went trying to go faster. To my surprise I did. Felt tough yet manageable. Really surprised. Last 10 were then a bit of cheating since the last 500m been slightly downhill. Mentally that helped but legs were still working!

Hill sprints. One of my favourite yet most hatred but loved sessions! Decided to do it on easy drag thinking it will easier and faster when really sprinting. At least so I thought. For some reason, I thought that incline wasn’t much. Maybe 4-5% gradient and I should fly up there and manage 160-170m per rep. So first rep I went hard… watch beeped after 30sec. Distance covered 140m.erm… ok. I was slow. I held back..yea..that must be the reason. Second rep…140m…I am dying. Third rep 130m and 4th rep 120m…I am in trouble! Couldn’t go any harder. Gave it my all yet distance wasn’t anywhere near what I expected to reach. Settled into it though and all remaining reps been around 120-130m.

Went home – in bits yet delighted to push through. Uploaded to Strava and check the gradient. It starts at 3.4% and had a max percentage of 11.1…. Not bad… for some reason haven’t realized that before and this had been the third time I did a session on that drag but first time going hard hard.

Saturday… oh how I was dreading that session. Last time I had to do 5min reps the pace was supposed to be 3:20-3:25 and I ended up with 3:37 avg. So here was me thinking “fook. I am going to collapse” especially with the legs still being fatigued from Thursday. To my surprise it went well. Really well. Avg in the 3:26-3:29. Not much to say to that other than “I am starting to be back” and that’s a good sign! What I realized though (not the first time and wont be the last time), it is easier to start a rep slow and pick up the pace than hard and hoping to hold it. First 3 reps I did that. Went out hard thinking I need to back some time. Struggled then to hold the pace at the end. Last rep knowing that it will have a tough slight uphill finish, went out slower to ensure I have something left. And in the end as fast as the first 3 reps yet more comfortable. Need to remember that (though I know I wont!).

Phase 1 (Base building) is over now. Phase 2 begins this week 😊

Phase 2: 6 weeks in total

Week 1:

Monday: double day: 9k/ 5k easy

Tuesday: double day: 5*1k @3:25- (150) / 8.5k easy

Wednesday: 14.5km easy

Thursday: strength work / 10k easy

Friday: 4*1mile @ 3:40 (120) 800/600/400m @3:20 (120)

Saturday: 11k easy

Sunday: double day: 20k easy / 4k very easy

Weekly Mileage Running: 113km

Week 2:

Monday: double day: 9k/ 6k easy

Tuesday: double day: 10.5k/ 6k easy

Wednesday: double day: 12*90sec @ 3:30 (60) / 6k easy

Thursday: double day: 9.5k / 10k easy

Friday: 13k easy

Sunday: National Indoors Masters Champs – 3000m

Weekly Mileage Running: 104km

Week 3:

Monday: double day: 14k/ strength work + 6k easy

Tuesday: double day: 5*800m @ 3:25 (150) 3*200m @ 3:10 (90)/ 8.5k easy

Wednesday: double day: 8.5k / 7.5k easy

Thursday: 12*1min hill sprints (steady to hard ish)

Sunday: National Masters Cross Country Champs – 7000m

Weekly Mileage Running: 109km

Keeping the lyrics short and sweet today.

National Indoors: Plan was “go out hard and see how long it lasts”. Didn’t last that long. Suffered after 5 laps and faded a lot in the end. Came 7th out of 8 in the heat and 4th out of 5 in my age category. Still a 2sec PB achieved 😊. I take that considering the shape I am in and that I am nowhere near peak form yet.

National Cross Country Masters: last minute sign up as I had been told the county team was short 1 person. Didn’t really fancy doing it as legs are fatigued already and focus would still remain on building mileage. So no taper for that race either. Even on the day (before the get go) I struggled with motivation and just didn’t really want to be there. Knowing that it wont be pretty and I wont be fast my expectations were quite low. So the plan was “go out at the back and just enjoy progressing through the field”. And so I did and I did and I did.

Did start slow. Think I was at the very back 100m in. All those lunatics sprinting off :D. Not me this time.

Did progress through the field. Slow progress at the beginning trying to find gaps without running into someone elses spikes but eventually it got better and better.

Did enjoy the race overall. Ende up being 44th overall and 15th in my age group. Not bad at all. To my surprise held a good pace from start to finish. Fastest split been the last km but all others been in and around the same pace. Also means I didn’t really start slow. The others just started faster! All smiles after that and really delighted to have done it. I even consider doing it again next year. Lovely course I have to admit.

Oh and with regards to the county team…. We ended up being 1 short. One runner signed up and showed up but not healthy enough to race. Had a great chance to come 3rd county on the day. Ah well… who needs a national medal :D 

Post edited by babacool on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

How does the county team thing work? Assume that's an age category team that was one short, as I imagine there'd have been a decent enough general turnout from your county?

• Advertisement

Nope. Not for county teams. It’s the same with clubs etc. for teams you need 6 to score (on national level and I think 4 on Leinster/ county level) regardless of age (if they qualify to run at the event they qualify to be on the team).

our county only had 5 runners taking part. Believe it or not 🤣 and that’s a lot. Kildare isn’t known for sending massive amount of runners to such events. Club representation is great on parkruns and fun runs but not championships - for whatever reason.

Advertisement