Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022 NFL regular season thread - discussion (no picks)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,854 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Just thinking about the weekends games.

How strongly do we consider the Ravens and Giants giving their starters a bye week. It's gotta be a huge thing this late in the season don't you think?

Bucs got their guys out early enough too and the Cowboys playing their guys hard made no sense with the score at halftime from Philly being so one-sided.

49ers should do it at home to the Seahawks who are particularly weak against the run.

Bills should do it unless Tua gets to play which looks very unlikely.

Jags v Chargers is anybody's guess but I'd have a slight lean towards the Jags with how they finished the season winning their last five games.

• Lamar Jackson done for the season and hopefully that's Harbaugh done with the Ravens.

High grade 2 bordering on grade 3 is usually about 3-4 months without surgery. With surgery you could be looking at 9-12 months.

It's possible Lamar has played his last snap for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Type of situation where I'd guess he'd try to play if he had a contract, especially the guaranteed type he is asking for.

Ravens are entering the reaping phase with Lamar

Is this now a situation where he holds all the cards? If they go to tag him he can go for surgery, if they give him the contract he wants then he doesn't, if it's not necessary?

Like if he gets tagged, has surgery and a whole year to recover he'll be in great shape after it. With the way he plays the game, all the hits he takes, a year off would be hugely beneficial I'd imagine.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Not sure why you are so eager for he Ravens to move on from Harbaugh. He has been one of the best coaches in the league for well over a decade. Whatever issues the ravens have had they never looked poorly coached or poorly prepared.

Their roster is pretty weak in parts and they have suffered as much as anyone with injuries over the last few years but but I don;t think you make them better if you lose Harbaugh.

I'd argue they should replace the OC especially if Lamar is elsewhere next season.

• Advertisement

The big guys show up in the big games. McCaffrey, Deebo, Metcalf and Walker looks like he fits that mould as well even though he's a rookie.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭Christy42

SF are terrifying.

Also love the Jags but that was insane. Lawrence went from Peterman stats to Brady within a game. Started 4-16 0 TD 4int

Went 24/31 4 TD and 0 int after that.

This is also why to Charger is a verb. I thought Stanley had done a great job getting that team to the play offs when they were badly injured in the season. They were just getting healthy when he got Mike Williams injured in a pointless game, obviously he deserves credit for helping them get to 27-0 lead but to blow that lead you have to wonder if his job is on the line now.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Kev8360

justin Herbert has 2 years left before his contract renews so the chargers have a big decision ahead to keep Staley or not. I am not sure he has done enough to convince in the games that matter that he has what it takes to put them over the top. If Sean Payton goes to the Rams would McVay be tempted to swap LA clubs? Chargers would be well set for a playoff run next year

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

McVay is returning to the Rams, Staley needs to be fired.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

They dont have that type of time with Herbert's contract.

It is open to be extended this offseason - usually the slam dunk QBs on rookie contracts get done at that point. They might get away with not doing it this year, as there'll likely be a stand off between him and Burrow to see who gets a deal and sets the latest bar. If they end up waiting until the end of year 5 they're in Lamar type trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,679 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

This could get very bad for the dolphins already 14-0 down and the game is still in the first quarter.

The dolphins might get lucky here as that ball looked like it hit the ground. They might get a reprieve but only briefly.

fair play to Miami - they are hanging tough in this one.

Miami takes the lead after Josh Allen fumbles the ball 24-20 Miami.

as you say @Kev8360 fair play for Miami for not giving up. I did worry early on for the dolphins.

Barring some further insanity the bills will win and advance but Jesus will they need to play better next weekend.

Yes absolutely - the Bills offense did just about enough and made a lot of mistakes to keep Miami in the game. they won't get away with that next week

• Registered Users Posts: 34,067 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Well done to Buffalo.

Proud in one way of our performance but will be few what ifs too.

Our play calling and time management at key times cost us.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,731 ✭✭✭hynesie08

As a cowboys fan, I should be rooting for a Giants loss, and I am, but only because I would much rather go to Philadelphia than San Francisco right now. Assuming we beat the Bucs of course.

Vikings defense does not look like stopping the Giants tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Sack!

Giants defence aren’t doing a great job either!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Brady is winning another Superbowl!

Can anyone direct me to some decent website surmising potential teams that Brady might play with next season?

First game was nuts. It's clear the Bills really miss Daboll, he took risks but his offense was far more organised than what's going on there now. They took a two touchdown lead and were throwing on all three downs after that which is just stupid. When you have that lead you run the ball on first down and slowly make your way down the field with short throws, it's okay to take a couple of shots but you just keep the drive moving along and burn clock.

Second game showed us what happens when you take a bye week late in the season. The Giants were fresh and it showed all through but particularly late in the game. We also seen a very organised Giants offense with Daboll obviously the reason for that.

Daniel Jones has improved so much under Daboll. The coach has made it easier for him with his offense but he's clearly worked with Jones on his decision making. There was a play tonight where Jones had two defenders around him and went down and took the sack for a two yard loss which was the smart play because throwing it away might have resulted in a deflection and a pick. A year ago in the same situation Jones would have been trying to make the hero throw.

This late game is a different game with a premium defense coming off a week off playing a great offense, it's low scoring and close. Ravens don't have a good offense without Lamar because neither of their reserves can be trusted to throw the ball. Their defense is so good that they have a chance. Keeping Burrow and co on the sideline is the way you beat them.

Normally playoff games are about defense and running the ball and normally not very high scoring. We've had a game with 54 points and three with 60+, it's not normal but it makes for great viewing. This current game feels much more like a playoff game.

I have to mention overthinking. We've seen loads of this. The chargers last night similar to the Bills tonight but even worse. They decided not to use their best player, Austin Ekeler, much when they had a big lead. That was incredibly stupid.

We seen the Vikings on 3rd and 1 have Jefferson run across the backfield, take the ball and pass it back to Cousins who got drilled. You've got Dalvin Cook, it's highly likely you run the ball with him and you get a first down. That's what they did all season in those situations so why change it? It's overthinking things.

The Dolphins on 3rd and a mile near their own end zone decided to go fie the hero pass instead of running the ball to give your punter a little more space. Just stupid and overthinking things again.

A couple if weeks ago I watched Michigan and TCU in the college football playoff semi-final. The same thing happened, Jim Harbaugh and the Michigan Wolverines were constantly coming up with plays which they never used all season. They lost the game badly. Then the Ohio State Buckeyes played the Georgia Bulldogs and played just like they did all season and missed a field goal at the end to win the game. Georgia went out and destroyed TCU in the final. The reason I mention that second game is because Michigan played Ohio State two weeks previous to.it and best them well playing their normal game. If they'd played their regular way they'd have beaten TCU and possibly Georgia.

The great coaches don't overthink things. They just stick with what works for them.

Post edited by eagle eye on

Bengals are a real playoff team, they just get it done somehow.

They looked like they were about to go a touchdown down and not only denied the TD but forced the fumble and returned it 98 yards for the TD. That's real playoff football.

As for the Ravens they sent Huntley on an air dive which didn't work as explained above. JK Dobbins who is their best back was never given a rushing opportunity on goal to go short yardage situations. Edwards got a couple but denied every time. Sending Huntley on that play was the height of stupidity in my opinion. You never send a backup QB on that type of attempt, you send an experienced running back. I wouldn't even send Lamar on that.

Just on the niners, they've looked great but they lost to the Bears, Falcons and Chiefs who all have QBs who can run with the ball.

I don't think they'll beat the Eagles if they meet.

I'm still looking at the Bucs as a danger to everybody. That game where Evans went for 200 yards and Godwin for 120 made me take note.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭Christy42

I think this is a very different SF team to those games. I think cmc was in the building a day or two before the Chiefs game and wasn't there for the other two. Brock is also avoiding the typical Jimmy gift interceptions/fumbles so even if the defense struggles with a mobile qb the offense can keep up. Vs the Seahawks they were getting FGs on most drives when Brock was playing badly and TDs when he was playing well. I think Eagles would be favourites but it will be close.

I can't see it happening repeatedly but Brady is always a threat to any team, especially in the play offs were games can be more cagey and give him a chance in the 4th quarter.

As an interesting stat if Brady does make the SB he will have more play off wins than any franchise. Just behind NE and the Steelers currently who can't add to their totals this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

I'm finding it surreal that my Giants are going on a run in the play-offs and we could eventually get done over in the NFC by a hot team led by Mr. Irrelevant at QB

Brady's first red zone interception as a Buc Judy happened. Neither team.has been that impressive on offense to this point. 6-0 Dallas at the moment and they have the ball.

Dallas have taken over this game,it's 18-0 and that's because Maher has missed all the PATs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

unreal missing 3 PATs. cowboys gotta pull him at the half right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

also, anyone watching on US coverage seen the trailer for '80 for brady'? it's like a parody film SNL trailer

Advertisement