Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Big changes to Bus Network

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,383 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

There was one exception though with that rule on bilingual displays. In the old days; if you went on the 45 bus to Bray Seafront sometime between the 1990's/2000's, it would be written in English only and no Irish translation will be available on the destination displays. I don't know how that was the norm back then when it could have been easily translated into Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭john boye

I think that was an add-on to the original scroll. Most additional panels didn't get Irish translations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Thought they displayed Esplanade

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭d51984

The 746 had a strange display too if I recall.

The 45 was something like this on the wind up scrolls

I do remember the Esplande display too.

Its a disgrace Joe!

Spotted a PA in town earlier with a green TFI logo on the front under the windscreen, looks well I have to say, hopefully they will be applied to all buses in the new livery.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Advertisement

Which PA had this logo on the windscreen?

It was under the windscreen in the Centre, was driving at the time, it was on Abbey Street out of service. It was green in color.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,588 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Good to hear. That was an obvious and overdue addition.

Now if they’d also allow an offside operator logo I think that you’d have a solid livery!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭p_haugh

They'll also have them from new on the EAs and EWs

A Bit OT but I remember donkeys years ago when I was a kid going out with me Da on the 17A,s he never let me put Finglas or Kilbarrack on scrolls, just blank. Me da smoke hanging from his mouth front doors wide open everyone smoking, mad how times change. Me Da loved the 17A,s.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭bikeman1

I remember the 17A’s going around with blank scrolls and via Beaumont Hospital. Was there any reason for that or just so they didn’t have to change them at either end. It was a mad route back in the day! True Dub route!

They never went via the hosp in the day, regarding the scrolls it was just laziness, blind winders cramp they called it.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭rx8

Expect lots more bus and driver shortages from this week on,as we're all being forced to take a winter weeks holidays. So 60-70 drivers on annual leave who don't necessarily want to be. (Including myself) No changes allowed unless you get a colleague to swap with you. The only response you get is well "yiz voted for it"...

Brain dead is what they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Fizzy Duck

Same response I got regarding holidays. Of course I replied I couldnt vote because I was on holidays and postal votes weren't facilitated. Just got a shrug of the shoulders.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭ITV2

funny enough in my depot there is some flex on holidays.. but who takes holidays in January?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭rx8

Yeah, but you have to pay top dollar now for the high-up expensive resorts, since all the snow is gone from the popular low-down one's. ;)

Way beyond our €815 gross weekly starting salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,301 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Best time of year for holliers. Pack yourself off to the canaries for some sun, very cheap time of year to go, no screaming brats everywhere, ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Is annual leave not happening throughout the year anyway?

It is important for employers (and a legal requirement) that employees have their annual leave. It is also normal for an employer to dictate annual leave in line with requirements of business. It just wouldn't work running a bus service where everyone took their holidays in the same concentrated period. It makes sense to be clearing through the AL throughout the year.

If you don't have kids, it's a great time to go away. It's not always about frying on a sun lounger. Cheap flights right across Europe now (just booked an €80 return flight myself) and plenty to see and do away from rip off Ireland.

Well I assumed that the question wasn’t restricted to bus drivers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Going by the Tapatalk forums, SG499 (which is in the new TFI Livery) now also has the Dublin bus logo & name on its rear!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

It was always stupid from day one that there was nothing at all on the front of the bus on the NTA Livery and I'm glad they're fixing this but I'm really surprised to see the operator logo returning on the back of the bus since it makes a mockery of the whole idea that TFI is supposed to be the unifying brand.

The most sensible set-up for me would be to have the TFI logo on the front (like it should have been from day one) and back and each side as it is now and the operator logo on each side (rather than just on the nearside as it is now). There's no reason for it not to be on the offside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭john boye

I suspect the rear logo is just a one off. There's a small number of buses that have them. 2 Donnybrook buses have had them for a while and one even has a front logo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

What's the problem with that. I mean TFL whom it's as obvious as the nose on your face the NTA is trying to mimic allow operators to have their logo on all four sides of the bus and people still know it's a TFL contracted service.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,913 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Anyone out that way know if and when the new BusHub at Liffey Valley will be operational? Maybe it is already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Looked to me nearly completed, saw just an hour ago two contractors working with the electricity wires in the ground beside the hub roof. The whole area is still closed with the traffic cones, but overall looking close to being done.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,301 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Without the bus connects routes in place there won't be much of a service at it. G buses can often be an hour apart.

I have just read in the Irish Independent that the 27, 65b and 77a have been suspended in West Tallaght which had begun 6pm this evening. It was due to 35 incidents of gratuitous violence which occurred in the area since last month.

As a result of the violence; the three bus routes that serve the area will now have to begin/terminate their routes at The Square Tallaght from 6pm every evening until further notice.

This is really serious stuff that has occurred in West Tallaght over the Christmas period. If the NBRU are putting out this notice to Dublin Bus and the NTA; it's puts the blame squarely in the NTA's court to establish a transport police for the whole of Dublin as soon as possible.

If there was no transport police set up in place within Dublin so it can help support the rollout of some the Spine routes that go to Tallaght and the associated Orbitals/local routes over the course of the network redesign.

Where do we go from here if the violence gets substantially worse in that part of or either other troublesome parts of Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,913 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Thanks for taking the time to give me the info. Won't be up there till the end of next week or so, and I just wondered how it was progressing. I think the trek from the main road on the C routes will be an absolute pain if anyone needs to connect with local services at the hub. Would many be bothered I wonder? I think there is a new bridge being built further West though. Without sounding cynical, how long will that take?

Anyway, I have friends further back in Palmerstown and there are some mutterings about bus stop changes and the removal of the no.18 from the village etc. It seems to be a journey in itself to find out any information, but I'm sure it will sort itself out eventually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

A unifying brand will never work, considering the vast majority of people - young and old - couldn't care less what it says on the outside of a bus, or what colour it's painted. Four years on, Dublin Bus still gets complaints about the 33a, the 17... and even the 175, which they never operated in the first instance. There is a giant cohort of people out there who are - and will always be - utterly baffled about what to call things. And there's also an entire generation, not dead yet, who still refer to CIE, the P&T, Quinnsworth and Teilifís Éireann. Branding exercises are a waste of time in this country.

Far better to concentrate on making the service work properly - something that the NTA (with the help of loads of local authorities and other government agencies) has failed miserably at.

Advertisement