Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

End of Sky dish installations coming soon ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Steve30x

I highly doubt they will end dish installation. SKY Glass and SKY Stream only have the same channel list as the SKY GO app which is missing a whole lot of channels. Unless they add all the channels that SKY+ HD and SKY Q have I don't see the end of the dish any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭fman

All the talk elsewhere is that sky have secured satellite carriage for the upcoming years. But it does look like streaming is their model going forward.

The big issue will be if they abandon development of sky q. It already looks likely they will never for example add the ability the view UHD on anything other than the main box. Q is already buggy enough without being abandoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭mcburns07

What % of Sky users are on Q? Would have thought the vast majority, surely they won't just abandon it.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭fman

Maybe abandon is the wrong way to put it but much like the the way the sky hd boxes now only get critical updates. I would be pessimistic that there would be any real improvements to Q in future, in terms of both software and hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

I guess many of these channels will be added in due course. A customer rep. in newly opened Sky Store in Belfast told me that Viaplay Sports will be added.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,519 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

That would (if it happens) be for U.K. customers only. Note that Premier Sports is already available to Sky Glass customers in ROI.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Is Sky Stream available in ROI?

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭baz9375

not available in ROI at the minute. I have a UK one ordered to an NI address to try out - it's due to be delivered Friday. Will let you know then if it works on Irish ISP or not :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭roarlad

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭feelings

I spoke to someone working in Sky a couple years ago and he mentioned he was trialing Sky via a streaming box. I wonder was it Stream or was he talking out his arse.

• Advertisement

All working OK 😊 I’ve been using it for a week now and I’m very impressed with the service.

The NI version has the advantage of having RTE channels as well as all the UK channels – No TG4 at the minute but I’m hoping it’ll be added in the future.

I’m using in ROI (Arden/NBI) but use Smart DNS so all UK apps working ok as well as the live streaming channels.

I’ve used Getflix smart DNS service (set up on my router) for a number of years for streaming services and it works perfectly with the UK catch-up services on the Sky stream box.

I’ve tried connecting the Sky stream box without the smart DNS on and the live channels will stream but the UK catch up app services don’t.

When I stream (restart show option) without the Smart DNS the box plays Irish adverts so it looks like Sky has picked up Irish IP address.

It seems Sky just check for an Irish or UK IP address to allow streams - possibly because Sky Glass is already available here in ROI.

I paid for the initial £39.99 setup fee using Irish debit card (AIB) which went through OK and the recurring monthly payment was set up OK on the same card.

Post edited by baz9375 on

We might avoid any discussion on circumventing regional restrictions, please

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

Having been using the Sky Stream box now for a bit longer, whats your opinion on it? Is it possible to record anything on it or is it all via catch-up services and cloud based now? Just wondering if it might be worth considering when it finally launches here in Ireland. I still like to record things from time to time (not everything is available via catch up) so wondering where this product might stand.....

It has no hard drive to record anything local. Afaik if catch up is available on a channel you can’t record at all, if it isn’t available subject to rights you can cloud record.

Its basically the same service that powers Sky Glass, just without the need to buy a whole new TV.

Morning.

Still using the service alright and all in all still impressed with it. As icdg mentioned above there is no local recording or option to add a hard drive. It's mainly Sky's own channels that record to the cloud and when a show is added to playlist that's available on catch up then you're directed to the channel's catch up app.

The add to playlist/record generally works OK but there are few times it's gotten a bit messy. eg if I add "The Simpsons" it will add episodes from All4 but also Disney+. Similar with "A place in the sun" if I add it from HGTV it will show episodes from there but also the All4 app.

I'll definitely keep it for another while. I like the "restart show" option and the picture quality is very good. Have had no issues or freezes with the box itself which some users report on AV Forums.

If you need to know anything let me know.

Just to add too.. took the Sky Stream box on holiday to Madeira recently and worked there for the live channels using my (Irish) phone as wifi hotspot. Was nice to be able to use it there.

Although using the box at any address other than the registered address is against their T&Cs I'm not sure how strictly they monitor or enforce this. I'd imagine it's monitored more for the multiroom boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

Thanks for the reply!

Just two quick follow-up questions, if you don't mind:

In relation to recording, it doesn't bother me too much where RTE, Virgin or All4 are concerned, as they all have free (ad-supported) apps for catch-up. But how about recording something like BBC on the Sky Stream box? The lack of iPlayer in Ireland is always a bit of an annoyance (even though I understand its absence).

Does the box max out at HD, or is there a UHD option based on different pricing/subscription levels?

I'm going to do a deep dive into reviews of it online as well, but always nice to hear from someone who has spent time using the device. I'm glad its still working well for you :)

There’s a limited amount of BBC catch up now on Sky in ROI. Not sure if the range is more extensive on Glass, but if it is the same as what is available on Sky Q, then it is very limited. Match of the Day is often cited as an example of a programme that’s not there but in fact at least with Sky Q it’s a limited amount that is there - it doesn’t even include the news even though there’d be little or no rights issues with that (BBC news bulletins tend to have practically no sport content except a small amount on Saturday nights).

I see that Sky and the EFL leagues (Championship, League 1 and League 2) in England have agreed a new five year deal that will run to May 2029. Not an exact indicator of course as to whether dish installations will end and Sky will move fully online, but I don't see dish installations ending anytime soon IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,838 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...good quality broadband is still patchy in rural areas, until thats resolved......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,326 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

What's the quality on this likely to be like? We had Virgin cable originally before going to Satellite and the difference in picture quality was very noticeable.

Any IPTV such as RTE Player for example is also very noticeably worse quality than Satellite/ Terrestrial Aerial that i've seen. IMO this will be a boon for illegal IPTV providers if their product is perceived to be the same quality as Sky streaming.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

In general, free IPTV (RTE & Virgin players) can be poor compared to paid IPTV (Now TV etc.). I've watched live soccer matches on Sky/BT Sport via Now TV on a large screen and there are no issues at all. Someone with Sky Glass may be able to give you some general feedback - or you can visit the Sky show rooms in various shopping centres and see how it looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,326 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thanks @JDxtra , thats a good idea. to be honest I'll probably stick with Satellite and Aerial for now anyhow, just interested in what direction this is all headed. If official IPTV can get as good as Satellite i'd be willing to pay for it - getting too old now to fart about on the roof realigning/replacing my dish/aerial these days, plus my elderly neighbour gives me the evil eye every time she spots me on the roof, i think she reckons i'm spying on her!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭Gusser09

To be fair the "alternative" IPTV providers can do a decent enough job with quality without the type of infrastructure that sky would have for example. No reason in areas where decent broadband is available that they shouldn't end dish installs.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

I hope it does not happen as there is less problems with the dish and you get full recording. The BBC catch that is on the hd box is better than nothing but it does not replace being able to record the channels

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭roarlad

Spoke to someone in the Sky Store in Dundrum and was told Sky Stream was due in Ireland in June, more likely July because of delays..

• Registered Users Posts: 1 perrosno

So it worked with a Portuguese ip address?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,260 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Blank screen if your internet goes down ,Freesat and Saorview will still work and will have to await my YouTube return.

Used this in Madeira - didn’t work with WiFi (Portuguese IP address) in the property but worked on hotspot from my phone (Irish IP address)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Streaming is the growth area for several reasons. Because of this, consumption of traditional broadcast services will naturally decline.

From the perspective of Sky, it's also attractive to have more customers on an IP based service. No engineer installs, cheaper equipment and no service calls to deal with. From an advertising perspective, I would expect that having access to viewing data and targeted advertising options is a huge bonus for them.

There is a monthly infrastructure cost per user however in terms of delivering the service.

Will dish installs stop soon - no. Will IP services be dominant and made more attractive to consumers - yes.

Advertisement