Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2023 In Between Grand Slam Thread

• 29-12-2022 10:25pm
    Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Here's to another season!

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

That's the only one I'd expect much from. Berretini might not be too bad. The rest, Jesus. Could they have a picked a Korean boring bunch? Casper ruud might be good for those who suffer from insomnia.

Gonna respond to this on the new thread @Augme

I think it'll be interesting to hear from those we don't know that much about. With respect, I think it's a bit lazy to dismiss Ruud on the basis of his on-court demeanour, which primarily consists of him.. being a nice, decent person. I think there'll be a lot more to learn from these episodes than an episode of Kyrgios and his weird family explaining away his behaviour. But maybe I'm wrong, we'll see.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

A bit of bad news to start the year with, Martina Navratilova diagnosed with both throat and a reoccurrence of breast cancer. The throat cancer is stage 1 and the breast cancer is reportedly at an early stage too, so she should be fine.

Not following this United Cup thing at all, but Nadal lost his opening two matches to Norrie and De Minaur and has now lost six of his last seven matches. I wouldn't say it matters much for his Australian Open chances though, he's one of the favourites but likely wouldn't have a prayer if he comes up against Djokovic.

No other results of note to begin the season so far, Djokovic motoring along nicely in Adelaide where he's been warmly received by the crowds. Murray lost to Sebastian Korda, which isn't a bad result really, although you have to wonder for how long more will he keep going.

Also in Adelaide, Muguruza managed to squander a 6-0 5-2 lead to end up losing in three sets to Andreescu. In Auckland, Raducanu got a win in three sets over over 17 year old Linda Fruhvirtova. Meanwhile, I wonder where Naomi Osaka's at these days, and if she has any intention of playing in Australia?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

When does AO start?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭poppy37

January 16th

I see Kyrios has pulled out of Adelaide due to injury, hope his participation in his home slam isn’t in doubt. Love him or hate him, he’s definitely box office and the tournament would suffer without his presence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭Augme

We will agree to disagree on that. We will wait and see on Rudd. But I have no idea what will be so fascinating about the son of a former professional tennis player who grew to become a solid, but very unspectacular, professional tennis player too. There's really nothing interesting about his background, where he came from or what he needed to do to achieve what he did. He was pretty much given the almost perfect foundation to become a professional tennis player.

• Advertisement

Unfortunate end for Raducanu yesterday, rolled her ankle against Kuzmova and could only play a further point. Getting a scan today to assess any potential damage and her Australian Open prospects.

Ashleigh Barty just announced her first pregnancy, which pretty much shuts the door on any potential comeback in the near future.

Meanwhile, Camila Giorgi in a spot of bother

I would imagine this is pretty widespread among professional sportspeople to be honest, I'd love to know how many are really vaccinated on both tours.

Alcaraz out of the Australian Open with a right leg injury. Genuinely disappointing news, makes the outcome feel even more inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Djokovic takes down medvedev in straight sets in semis of adelaide, seemed to pick up a potential hamstring injury. That is now 4 wins in a row by djokovic over medvedev. Will be interesting to see if he takes the court against Korda tomorrow with Oz open so close

I think Medvedev was deeply damaged by the loss to Nadal in Melbourne last year and hasn't quite been the same since. I'm sure the targeting of Russian players last year probably didn't help either. I hope he finds his best again.

18 year old Linda Noskova got a great win over Jabeur in Adelaide, she'll face Sabalenka in the final. Will be top 50 if she can win the title, but because she was ranked outside the top 100 before the tournament she missed the Australian Open cutoff and will have to play qualies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

92 ATP titles now for Djokovic, tying with Nadal. Great win today coming back from a set down and championship point down to beat an Impressive Seb Korda who had knocked out a lot of top players this week. Amazing how often djokovic has saved match points in his career and gone on and win. He did it in 3 separate grand slam meetings vs Federer including a wimbledon final and two US open semis. He also did it against Tsonga at French open and I recall him beating Murray in a masters final saving about 6 match points. Takes phenomenal mental strength to do that. I can see Djok and Nadal surpassing 100 ATP titles if they stay healthy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,574 ✭✭✭✭josip

I think Nadal is already in breach of the not staying healthy clause. He won 4 titles last year but the French Open was the last. I think he'll win the FO this year but that will be it for him. He doesn't have a realistic chance of catching Federer's 103 and I don't think it's a motivation for him anyway. His only objective is to stay ahead of Djokovic in GS titles. so 93 tops for Nadal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_Rafael_Nadal_tennis_season

Djokovic won 5 last year, starting with the Italian Open in May and there are no obvious injury concerns, so he should be able to pick up another 5 titles this year. But will he get to 103? I think he'll come up just short at 102 🙂

Osaka withdrew from the Australian Open. I assumed she'd have to make an appearance to keep the endorsement money rolling in, but perhaps not.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

She has a book out soon https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/714087/naomi-osaka-by-ben-rothenberg/

title is: "Naomi Osaka: Her Journey to Finding Her Power and Voice" I can only imagine what a pile of complete scutter it will be. Although I'm sure it'll get loads of praise about how "empowering" it is and how important it is for women everywhere to read and how she's one of the worlds great women.

Post edited by Jack Daw on

Turns out Naomi had a pretty legit reason to withdraw in the end

Didn't see that coming!

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Lame excuse, you wouldn't see Djokovic or Nadal missing a grand slam because they were pregnant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Floppybits

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

A journalist is writing a book about her rather than she is bringing out a book.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,936 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Pfff, my wife is 4 months pregnant and played last week.

Australian Open draw was made overnight, Nadal-Draper and Murray-Berrettini probably the highlight R1 matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Could be an upset on the cards in that Nadal-Draper match. Draper in good form and Nadal not so much..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Floppybits

If it was a normal best of 3 sets match on the ATP Tour I would agree with you but these best of 5 sets in slams I can see Nadal coming through. He has the game management down to a T in these matched, Draper hasn't the experience of playing these matches like Nadal.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Anyone watched any of the Netflix show? Just watched the Kyrgios episode. On first impressions there's not going to be much there for us tennis fans, this is clearly made for those less knowledgeable about the sport. To be honest though, I'm not sure what would encourage anyone to keep watching after the first episode, it wasn't particularly gripping.

You'll be shocked to hear that they almost entirely glossed over Kyrgios' behaviour, and painted his career as some kind of greatly fulfilled success story.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭poppy37

I’m off at the moment due to injury so watched all five episodes today. Agree with you that it’s for the casual fan. The first and last episode are the least interesting but I quite enjoyed the other three.

Berrettini and Tomljanovic were still a couple when it was filmed and after watching their episode I’m not surprised they broke up.

Badosa and Sakkiri came across well especially Badosa who was very candid about her mental health struggles but episode five bored me to tears, Ruud and Auger-Allissame while very nice guys are bland enough and I’ve seen enough of Nadal to last me a lifetime.

Considering all the Djokovic drama, Barty’s surprise retirement and Iga’s record breaking run in springtime I was surprised with what they concentrated on but I guess they had previously picked out their subjects.

Djoko will be good to travel to the US from May. Will miss the Sunshine Double though

ATP announce the results of their investigation, won't be taking any action against Zverev for domestic violence accusations made by an ex girlfriend. Whilst it's open to question to what extent the ATP really investigated this, this should've been a police matter from the outset and not through social media.

Meanwhile on court, Muguruza lost 61 64 to Noskova in Lyon. Pretty bleak start to the year for Muguruza, has lost all four matches she played.

Poor Ben will have to find another hill to die on.

Swiatek wins the title in Doha, thumps Pegula 63 60. A first round bye and a Bencic withdrawal from the QF's meant she only had to play three matches all week. She dropped just 5 games 😬

Nice to see Medvedev finding a bit of form, will take on Sinner in the Rotterdam final tomorrow.

Alcaraz also back on the tour, and into the Argentina Open final. Looking impressive thus far, albeit against some poor opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,748 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Looks to have been pretty straightforward against Norrie in the final.

• Advertisement

Alcaraz's return had escaped my attention this week. Delighted to see he won a title straight off the bat, his 7th so far and still just 19 years of age.

Medvedev beat Sinner in the Rotterdam final too, so all in all a pretty good day for the ATP.

Advertisement