Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2023 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭dublin49

interesting quarter final tomorrow,Karatsev v Zhang,both outside top 100 before this week and playing like top 20 players.Zhang has won 3 final set tie breaks against top players this week and Karatsev beat Medvedev comfortably.Both playing amazingly for their rankings and one is getting to the semi at least.

Post edited by dublin49 on

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Raducanu will be out for a while due to surgery on both her wrist and ankle.

Body already seems pretty frail for such a young age, doesn't bode well.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Nadal out of Rome, which isn't good news for RG.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Don't think he's going to make RG at this rate.

Probably not. Even if he's able to play he'd be incredibly rusty (hasn't played since January), but if anyone would be able to play his way into form on clay it's obviously Nadal. Think Alcaraz might actually be the slight favourite now, even if Djokovic is playing? Especially if he wins Madrid.

Struff is a surprise finalist in Madrid, making the final as a lucky loser and even beating Karatsev (who beat him in the final qualifying round) along the way. Struff took Alcaraz to five sets at Wimbledon last year so he can feel reasonably confident of giving him a match, but I think Alcaraz will win in a much more straightforward fashion this time around.

Swiatek-Sabalenka final has potential to be good, but Swiatek will likely win handily enough. Leads he H2H 5-2 and 3-0 on clay. Sabalenka having a great year though, very consistent, and would like her to win this to try and develop more of a rivalry with Swiatek.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,849 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Nice to see Murray make a final...it is a challenger but still. Tommy Paul in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,849 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

And he has won in three sets, very good result for him

not sure.he could end up a crock in later life and not sure hes going to achieve anything comparable to what he has already.Understandable that because he was injured for so long he wants some more but dangerous to write cheques with your future well being .

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Struff gave Carlitos a good workout in the final. He needs matches like that, rather than steamrolling people. Stuff did well for the week, he always memes capable of a big result, but not consistent. Waited until he is 33 to get to his first final.

just watched end of the biggest upset of year ,and probably longer ,Marozsan of Hungary just beat Alcaraz ,Marozsan playing his first ever ATP tournament and beat Alcaraz pretty comprehensively,and totally out dropped the new king of the drop shots.If you have prime well worth a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭Floppybits

He drop shot Alcaraz to death today. They were unreal. Speaking of unreal Ostapenko in the 3rd set against Kasatkina just hitting winner after winner. She hit 48 winners in the match.

Nadal holding a press conference tomorrow, presumably to announce his withdrawal from RG.

Djokovic lost to Rune today, so his RG fine tuning hasn't exactly gone to plan either.

Surprising loss for Alcaraz earlier in the week but I wouldn't look into it too much, at his age these kind of losses are still going to happen occasionally. Still one of the favourites in Paris.

Post edited by yerwanthere123 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Don't be surprised to see Djokovic lifting the trophy in Paris, logically he shouldn't, but, there really isn't anyone ( Alcaraz apart) that can match him over the 5 set format. If he survives the early rounds he'll be difficult to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

It'll be telling alright, 36 years old and on his weakest surface but the rest of the tour just seem to wilt against him over 5 sets. I've never been a big fan of his tennis but his mental strength is just something else.

I wouldn't put it past him, I think he'll breeze Wimbledon barring injury anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Don't think Rune has played him in a grand slam , would fancy him against Djockovic if they meet in Paris tbh.

I've just thrown a tenner on Casper Ruud at 25/1. He'll be seeded 4, can't meet Alcaraz or Djokovic until the semis and there's no Nadal. Worth a punt at that price I thought. Rune would be the player seeded below him to avoid in the draw.

Oh definitely, Djokovic is still the favourite that's for sure, but this year there's slightly more intrigue than usual. At least Alcaraz looks like a genuine threat though, and Rune doesn't seem to be afraid of him either.

Ruud is finally finding a bit of form after a terrible start to the season, but got to think SF's or another final is his absolute peak. But you never know.

I think the plan will be cash out if he gets to the semis and he still has to get through Alcaraz, Djokovic or even Rune. There could be some shocks along the way though, the semi final line up in Madrid was very poor aside from Alcaraz.

I would be surprised tbh. Djokovic has been very unconvincing on clay so far this year. Yes, he is a different beast on BO5, but there are some concerns around his fitness/injury niggles. Not ideal going into the most gruelling slam.

Apart from Rome, Alcaraz has been the form player this spring. He is already a slam winner, and won't be intimidated by Djokovic. Himself and Rune appear to have a different mindset to the "Next Gen".

First week in RG will tell us a lot. The most open FO in a long long time, due to Nadals absence. Feels weird, even slightly hollow, not having him there. But the show must go on.

• Advertisement

The recent success of low ranked players like Cerundolo,Hanfmann,Marozsan and Struff against top ranked players suggests players like Tsitipas,Medvedev and Zverez are much more vunerable to early defeat than the big 3 were in their pomp.I think this will play well for Djock in RG as he is unlikely to be ambushed by a low ranked player over 5 sets but his main rivals might.

Medvedev will never win anything on clay and Zverev looks a long way off the player he was a few years back, I wouldn't read too much into that. Tsitsipas is notoriously flaky too.

Agreed. That "next gen" contingent are slowly becoming the "lost gen". Bar Medvedev, they have been very underwhelming. Alcaraz, and potentially Rune, looks to have already passed them out.

I think Rome and Madrid have demonstrated that there is a definite levelling up of quality,for years watching the big three crush Gasquet/Verdasco/Fognini etc on their inevitable march to the Quarter/Semi Finals got tiresome. Now there is a potential upset in every match.Not sure this will be replicated at the Majors but hopefully it will.

As expected no Nadal at RG. Says he'll be out for a few months and 2024 will be his last year on tour.

Barring any crippling injuries, Djokovic should comfortably stand alone at the top of the table when all is said and done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

The next gen were just a poor gen, not able to compete with the big 3 and now getting surpassed by the following generation. They had to wait for time to beat both Federer and Nadal and still not able for Djokovic at slam level.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I didn’t see this at the time but saw her tweet about her third operation and the two words that popped into my head were Laura Robson, and how she had to retire early after what seemed like a long list of injuries on her shoulder or wrist, I can’t remember exactly.

Simona Halep charged with a second doping offense.

Not looking likely we'll be seeing her back on court to be honest.

Well, Medvedev took all of 3 days to prove that prediction wrong 😳

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,640 ✭✭✭✭josip

Advertisement