Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Income tax return

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Peterk88

Got my SOL last Thursday evening any idea when payment hits the account ? Is it 2 or 3 working days or more ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭relax carry on

On page 1 of your SOL, does it say the refund will be issued to your bank account? If so, then you are looking at 2 to 5 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Peterk88

Hi yes to the bank account thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭limos

Anybody know which would be best for me, my wife earns 17k carers allowance as she now carers for my daughter and my father but my tax credits have plunged and my cut off point has been reduced. What I would like to know is is it better to get a increased cut off point or stick with the home carers tax credit, I really is not worth her while claiming at this rate. I dont know what to do

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭gipi

I got my SOL last Thursday, refund was in my account yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,351 ✭✭✭✭siblers

How does the 2023 rent credit work? Do you just pay 500 euro in less tax in 2023 spread over the year?

Post edited by siblers on

Yes if claimed during the active tax year just like any other tax credit you can claim during the active tax year. If you don't claim it during the active tax year, again just like any other credit, you can claim it via your annual tax return and you'll get a lump sum form Revenue assuming you are due a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,351 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Makes sense, thanks

Nearly tempted to wait until next year to claim it. That lump sum is a god send this time of year

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Calculator123

Looking for direction.

I have completed an Income Tax return via ROS the last few years. I have recently had a new tax credit applied to my tax credit certificate and as a result understand I can get a refund for last four years. I don't seem to be able to use the same mechanism of requesting a p21 statement of liability via revenue.ie (says I can't because I'm registered for Income Tax) and can't see an equivalent mechanism on ROS.ie

How do I go about claiming this refund for each relevant year?

You amend your tax returns on ROS the same as you would on Revenue MyAccount. You'll have to login to ROS and amend each return separately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Calculator123

Thanks. I'll give that a go. I couldn't see any option to amend but it must be somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 LoopyLou17

Anyone have any sense of timeframes at the moment for tax returns? I know from comments above, the first week Jan was a very quick turnaround but I'm wondering has it slowed / got busier in the last week? I submitted mine on Friday 6th and havent heard anything since... really hoping they're just busier and therefore slower, and not that I'm getting audited or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭scabo33

Hi everyone

Would appreciate any advice. When filling out form 11 for 2022 it’s saying we can’t proceed without filling out certain sections, but those sections are all greyed out in personal details.

we usually do a SOL but this year Becuase of share options we have to do a form 11

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Could someone please explain the WFH tax relief? I'm not sure if our refund is correct.

The preliminary assessment put my husband at about a E200 overpayment and me at a 62c underpayment. We claimed for e850 in medical expenses, and my husband has worked at home full time all year. But we only got a calculation of e369.86 due when we submitted our tax return, which would be roughly the health expenses and the overpayment, but not the WFH credit. We got e500 back last year when we couldn't claim the WFH benefit.

I didn't upload receipts because I thought they were optional, but could it be that the WFH credit wasn't added? By my calculations, that should be worth a fair bit on itself. How can I confirm whether the WFH refund was included? I'm quite new to this whole process because I worked abroad for years and last year was my first time doing it.

Is it on the pdf statement of liability you received? The calculations are on page 1 and the tax credits used are on page 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Wexy86

I just got my SOL and my WFH and medical expenses were omitted.

Last year same was noted on panel 3, page 2 for me.

just opened up an enquiry to see what happened as to why not paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭gipi

Mate of mine submitted returns for 3 years on Monday 9th. Three SOLs were ready by the end of last week, and he also got a refund earlier this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

You have to upload the receipts for Electricity, Heating and Broadband and the total amount for each bill and the amount share) paid by the person and when you submit them all you need to enter the total number of days worked from home (ie 365 less weekends/public holidays/annual leave/sick days etc). This will calculate the total amount that can be claimed and then the credit granted is 30% of this

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭costacorta

I sent in my medical expenses 4th jan and have heard nothing and they are all uploaded but don’t seem to have been looked at yet .

Thanks - I'm still waiting... you? taking forever! it'll be 5 weeks this Friday

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭costacorta

Got mine last Saturday morning I seen over 2k in my account and wife received over 1k so she is off shopping 🛍️🤣

Nice!! Glad to hear it, I'm still waiting (submitted mine 2 days after you), but I'm due over 2k as well from health expenses so maybe we were just in the larger refunds pile that takes a bit longer. thanks for the update!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 jessshel

I received statement of liability on the 19th for three years refund. Rang today and they said they have been randomly selected for review by a manager and they don’t know how long it’s going to take before it’s released. Anyone have any experience with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Could be a few days, could be a week or 2. Revenue are extremely slow at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 jessshel

They got back to me and said they have been cleared so hopefully will receive in a couple of days 🙏

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mardosoo

The time it takes to receive your overpayment of tax back can vary depending on several factors, including the tax authority you're dealing with, the method of application, and the volume of requests they are currently processing. In many cases, it typically takes a few weeks to a few months to receive a refund for overpaid taxes.

To get a more specific estimate, it's advisable to check with the tax authority in your jurisdiction or review any communication they have sent you regarding the processing time for your refund. They often provide information on the expected timeline for handling such requests.

If you applied for the refund online or through an electronic system, the processing time may be shorter compared to paper applications. However, if there are any discrepancies or issues with your application, it could potentially delay the refund process.

In any case, it's always a good idea to keep track of your refund application and reach out to the tax authority if you have any concerns or if the refund is significantly delayed beyond the estimated processing time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 beneathasteelsky

If myself and spouse are jointly assessed and PAYE. How can I add their health expense 20% claims? ROS does not seem to give that option (only allows my health expense tax credits to be claimed)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Enter your joint expenses in the space provided under yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭nhg

Health Expenses are a 20% tax relief given as a tax credit.

As a PAYE Taxpayer you must claim the tax relief on Health Expenses through your eForm 12 on MyAccount (not ROS) in the tax year in which you incurred the Health Expense i.e. a receipt dated 21.06.2019 must be claimed through the 2019 eForm 12.

31st December 2023 is the last date in which you can submit or amend an eForm 12 income tax return for 2019 for processing.

Advertisement