Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2023 Gardening Thread

• 02-01-2023 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,334 ✭✭✭

2 days into thr new season and no one has opened a thread 😱

Any gardening related discussion, photos, plans, failure and successes.

My own garden is about half an acre comprising of an Orchard, veg plot,polytunnel soft fruits and perennials.

It sits on a larger 4 1/2 site. 3.5 acres of that are used for silage.

.It's my 5th season and I've transitioned to no dig the last fee years.i also don't use any

Chemicals and as few fertilers as possible.

Nutrients have come from compost, manure and seaweed.

The garden is currently covered in black plastic. To kill off weeds and old vegetable matter. I've a few beds not done but will cover them as they come clear of veg.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,334 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Ordered my seeds from gardenseedsmarket.com on Saturday. They are shipped today by dpd

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Never heard of them must give them a look. What are you planning to sow?

This was my order 😁

Bean "Erica" - for dried, extremely tasty seeds

Bio - Beetroot "Red Ball" - certified organic seeds - 500 seeds

BIO - Field pea "Progress 9" - certified organic seeds

Bio - Green basil - certified organic seeds - 650 seeds

BIO - Greenhouse tomato "Marzano 2" - certified organic seeds - 225 seeds

BIO - Radish "Saxa 2" - certified organic seeds - 425 seeds

Bio - Rocket - certified organic seeds - 800 seeds

Bio - Sugar snap pea - certified organic seeds

BIO - Zucchini - certified organic seeds

BIO Giant squash "Uchiki Kuri" - certified organic seeds

BIO Leaf lettuce "Red Salad Bowl" - certified organic seeds - 518 seeds

Bok choy "Pac-Choi Joi Choi"

Borage seeds - Borago officinalis - 120 seeds

Broad bean "Bolero" - early variety producing extra large seeds

Broad bean "Bonzo" - early variety, for accelerated culture

Broccoli Miranda seeds - Brassica oleracea - 300 seeds

Butternut squash "Waltham Butternut" - 27 seeds

Cape Gooseberry, Ground Cherry seeds - Physalis peruviana

Carrot 'Broker' - medium early variety

Carrot "Success" - late, storable variety - 4250 seeds

Cauliflower di Sicilia Violetto seeds - Brassica oleracea convar. botrytis var. botrytis - 54 seeds

Cellery "Zephyr" - valued for excellent taste and nutritional value - 900 seeds

Chicory Palla Rossa 3 seeds - Cichorium intybus - 360 seeds

Chinese Cabbage Bristol seeds - Brassica pekinensis - 430 seeds

Conehead Cabbage seeds - Brassica oleracea var. capitata - 210 seeds

Cucumber 'Hugon' - early, extremely productive variety for preserves

Courgette "Banana Song F1" - a variety producing yellow fruit; zucchini

Brillante F1 courgette, zucchini - dark green; for demanding growers

Dwarf bean 'Toska' - for dry seeds

Early Carrot First Harvest seeds - Daucus carota - 4250 seeds

Endive - variety mix

Green oak-leaved lettuce "Salad Bowl" - 945 seeds

Kale ‘Scarlet’ seeds- Brassica oleracea - 300 seeds

Kale "Nero di toscana" - Tuscan-type variety - 540 seeds

Kale Dwarf Green Curled seeds - Brassica oleracea - 300 seeds

Kohlrabi "Bohemia F1" - white, tender variety for spring and autumn cultivation - 130 seeds

Kohlrabi, Giant Kohlrabi seeds - Brassica oleracea convar. acephala alef. var. gongylodes - 520 seeds

Leaf endive "Bianca di Milano" - can be grown under covers all year long

Leek "Blauwegroene Winter Alaska" - late, winter variety for long-term storage - 320 seeds

Leek "Herbstriesen 2" - medium early variety - 320 seeds

Leek "October" - late variety for autumn and late autumn harvest - 320 seeds

Carrot "Amsterdam" - NANO-GRO - increase harvest volume by 30%

Mexican sour gherkin, Cucamelon, Mouse melon - 9 seeds

Seeding tray, multipot with a fold-out edge - extended capacity - 66 cells- 1 pc

Pepper 'Priscilla F1' - 100 seeds - professional seeds for everyone

Pepper "Aurora" - sweet - 65 seeds

Pot Marigold Apricot Beauty seeds - Calendula officinalis - 240 seeds

Purple Kohlrabi Alka seeds - Brassica oler convar. acephala var. gongylodes - 520 seeds

Red bean "Creation" - very productive variety

Red cabbage "Rufus" - for preserves or storing - 540 seeds

Root Parsley Berliner Halblange seeds - Petroselinum crispum - 4250 seeds

Cornsalad "Verte a coeur plein"; common cornsalad, lamb's lettuce, mâche, fetticus, feldsalat, nut lettuce, field salad, rapunzel

Melito F1 radish - large, red roots with a thin skin - professional seeds for everyone

Common salsify "Mammouth"; purple salsify, oyster plant, vegetable oyster, Jerusalem star, Jack go to bed, goatsbeard

Spinach Giant Winter seeds - Spinacia oleracea - 800 seeds

Squash Yellow Zeppelin seeds - Cucurbita pepo - 16 seeds

Tomatillo seeds - Physalis ixocarpa - 340 seeds

Tomato "Moneymaker" - tall variety for cultivation in the field and under covers - 180 seeds

Turnip Snowball seeds - Brassica rapa - 2500 seeds

Turnip, White turnip "Golden Ball" - 2500 seeds

White cabbage "First harvest" - 240 seeds

White cauliflower "Delta" - for spring, summer and autumn cultivation - 270 seeds

• Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Dear lord! That's industrial scale sowing!

I've a quarter of an acre veg garden. These are the kind of quantities we used to see from premier seeds direct in the UK before Brexit.

Knowing me I'll probably not plant everything but they will keep till next year.

We are self sufficient on most of our veg. Tomatoes would be the exception but we got a tunnel last year.

I'm one of those who you see in the supermarket with no veg in the trolley.

That list cost me €130. Would have been a lot more buying here

• Advertisement

Wow That’s ambitious! Do you normally sow that much?

Not normally but they have a nice catalogue. 🤣.

A lot of what I bought was early, mid season and late so I'll give it a go.

We also preserve a lot of veg so it won't go to waste.

Another shot of the garden. The plastic is down to kill off the weeds. The near sheet went down Saturday. The rest is there 3 months.

Woodchip on the edges holds it in place and stops the wind getting underneath

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭scarepanda

I've just sowed my first onion seeds of the year! Nice to have gotten started especially with the weather of late and the condition of the garden at the moment.

Where are you all getting seeds from this year? I was looking the other day and as with everything they seem more expensive this year so I'll probably shop around a bit more than usual.

This will be my second full season in this vegetable garden and all going well it'll be a lot cheaper this year! I have raised beds about 500mm deep so I had a lot of filling to do last year. They just need a top up this year.

Got mine this year from gardenseedsmarket.com.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Deub

I plan to start my onions in around 2 weeks. First time doing from seeds, so I will see how it goes.

Thanks southwesterly! I'll have a look at them. I used to always go to seedaholic but had a bad run of them in 2021 with a lot of stuff not germinating or germinating poorly so less inclined to put all my eggs in one basket again with them. What I got off them last year was ok, but still hesitant.

Deub, last year was my first year to grow from seed, only thing I noticed from them is that they take a long time to mature, longer than sets. I got some impressive sizes from globo. But I wasn't able to harvest them for storage, but that was completely my fault. I pulled them and left them dry in the greenhouse but got distracted with jobs in the house and forgot to get them into the shed once they dried and then the weather got bad and most of them had started to rot so I binned them. I did sets last year as well and they were ready about a month earlier than the seed onions. I'm doing all seeds this year, no sets.

My seeds arrived 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

How did you find ordering, the delivery and the packets you get look to get are the well packed. Our teenage daughter is thinking of getting this year flower seeds from them.

Ordered last Saturday. Despatched Sunday by DPD. Delivered Friday. All the journey could be tracked.

Ordered a few module trays as well.

Most of the instructions are in Polish but they have a clear chart for sowing, planting and harvesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Thank you for the reply, are they well packed in paper or foil, we use to get the veg seed from England every two year and need to get this years supply and the flower seeds, what sort postage charges

There is a Foil packet inside some of the packets . Can't fault the packaging

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Tom_Tripland

These are beautiful photos! Keep on gardening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Getting a few bare root hedging plants delivered this week - how quickly do I need to get them in the ground? The sooner the better I presume but how long could they be left without damaging their prospects of surviving?

Put them in water for a day before planting.

You would want to get them in fairly quickly.

You could dig a hole and just throw them all into it temporarily

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭RegisteredMice

Where are you guys getting your seed potatoes?

I'm looking for Accord (early variety) seed potatoes online and can only find them in the UK.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Fruithill for me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭blackbox

I had a casualty while I was away for Christmas. A banana plant in the (unheated) greenhouse was annihilated by the cold.

In a mad burst of enthusiasm I showed a few tomato seeds (only a month too early!) There were only 7 seeds in the packet of cherry tomatoes F1 hybrids - I sowed 3.

I buy from fruithillfarm.com it you could try patch potatoes in NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭RegisteredMice

Cheers SouthWesterly, it seems it’s just that variety that’s hard to source here in Ireland… for whatever reason.

Thanks anyway.

I’m wondering how many casualties I’ll have this spring in the border. I didn’t mulch🙈. We were lucky /unlucky that we got snow. I think my plants are supposed to be hardy down to -5 and we didn’t get that here on the coast but the snow did freeze hard over them for a few days. There’ll be a lesson learnt from this later in the year me thinks 😅

On a more positive note I’ve started shopping for this year. I’ve managed to stumble across a beautiful dahlia Fairway Spur in my quest to add more colour to the garden other than purple! Just ordered from an Irish company Three Gates. Never heard of them before but apparently they show at Bloom. Delivery in May after frost.

3 of the 4 growing tips/crowns of my Cordyline are kaput. I was pretty certain they got caught in the frost before Christmas but the wind last week blew them off. I chopped off the top parts to below where it was soft yesterday. I left the height on them in the hope that they will resprout. I used to not like Cordylines until we moved to this house and they flowered and I realised I love the scent!

Normally I'd leave the tidying up of beds till March time. But I got caught up in a kitchen refit before Christmas so I didnt do anything major out in the garden since September so I've a tonne of weeding and mulching to do. Going through some of the jobs this week and all the dahlias in pots are dead. I thought the ground ones would be gone too between the frost and the heavy rain and subsequent flooding of the garden for a few days but I think at least some of them have survived surprisingly.

For colour in a full sun flowerbed, any suggestions on flowers, or seeds, for colour in April/may? The in between time between spring and summer flowers?

That Dahlia is absolutely gorgeous! I must have a look at that site too, cheers!

• Advertisement

I took I look in my local garden centre this morning. He had everything except them.

Got some onion sets

Advertisement