Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Damien Tiernan WLRFM

Options
  • 09-05-2022 9:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

has anyone seen his post about former teacher in Waterpark? How do WLR let him behave like this?

absolutely deplorable Tiernan is a disgrace to his employer and journalism.

his behavior is more and more bizarre and unhinged, I’d say RTÉ are glad to see the back of him. He has no credibility left.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Well the individual named in the post deserves to be investigated, but is now deceased, believe me I know first hand why he should be, I'll leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭SeanieW1977

There are more appropriate forums then Facebook for that.

i know the individual involved and there is definitely questions to be asked, but Damien Tiernan is not the person who should be asking them.

I'm not going into details too much here, but that individual was in the school for 30 years or more, do the maths, the more people come forward the better chance there will be for some form of justice. The only way to get more to come forward is to appeal on forums like this and FB, that's my opinion, anyway. I'm glad it's out in the open now tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

Tiernan is a bit of a joke alright, the Joe Duffy of Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭JimWinters

So he’s researching stories about the man and looking for responses privately. That’s all he said right?

Slander laws only apply to the living afaik. You’d wonder what good there is in dragging up the past, especially when the it’s too late for there to be consequences. Then again, it’s never too late to get some sort of justice, I doubt the guards will investigate. Maybe someone wants to tell their story and Damien is looking for others to confirm before he airs anything.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

There's a lot of good in dragging up the past when it comes to certain subjects. Finally some people feel they got a voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ollin

Unfortunately there's a story to be told here. I wouldn't be a DT fan but it has to start somewhere. I've seen comments on facebook from guys who were in Waterpark with me who obviously were oblivious to what was going on. Giving out free fags and stationery wasnt being generous, you get where I'm coming from? I'm glad its out in the open now too, its just a pity it's 30+ years too late.

Inviting kids out to help with his garden, among other ploys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

Is Tiernan not just doing his job? He is researching a story. What is the problem with that? Would you prefer, all due respect to the dead, a frankly useless media person like Billy McCarthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

It's so weird how quickly people were willing to defend someone who has accusations made against him, and they tried to make the point that because the person was dead they should let the person rest??? what sort weird, distorted logic is this?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I've seen people make this defence plenty of times, or because decades had passed people should just leave things rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Deiseen

The perpetrator may be dead but the trauma can be very much still alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Deiseen

He's only asked a question.

Do you know the man in the question?

Hi Deiseen,

I knew him, he taught me and that's as much as I'm going to say.

The post on facebook asked anyone with information to DM or email him.

So anyone that does contact him privately would definitely not be commenting on an open forum like Facebook.

How all this is going to evolve is anyone's guess, but as Ollin said, and as I can back up,there is a story here, unfortunately too late

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

I don't think the line of its too late should be the point, I'm not familiar with any of these stories as i didn't grow up in Waterford but look at it this way.

There are or might be people out there that have been affected by this person if there was an issue with this particular person.

These people may have so many issues today as a result of mistreatment and perhaps they've tried to speak out in the past but weren't listened to or believed and would now have mental health issues or personal problems as a result.

These people will need to be listened to and vindicated.

There is a Netflix series that's on at the moment in relation to a similar story and those issues didn't fully come to light till the person in question died.

Don't think the idea of hes dead let him rest in peace should come into it. if there's questions that need answering then so be it.

You've hit the name on the head, thankfully the mental & personal problems have not been an issue, can't speak for others tho, the regret is I hadn't the balls to report it all those years ago, but it was different times then, and to be honest it was pretty mild but prolonged in comparison to other stories I've heard since, and you always think that you are the only one and back then you would have been ridiculed by your peers and more than likely not believed,

Nobody can judge, deal with the facts see who was affected and deliver the help that's needed to those people affected.

best of luck!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Everyone is a saint when they die its a weird blind spot of society. You can be the biggest cnut on the planet but when you pass on its not the done thing to expose your dark spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ProperEmperor

I also knew him, I was a pupil in waterpark college, I never had anything but a positive experience with him, in fact I would say he was a very kind and supportive teacher. However, more recently I have learnt that maybe for some it was different . At least one persons alleged experience with him is detailed in this civil case against him. A formal complaint was also made to the Garda who sent a file to the DPP, they decided not to move forward with it.

The details are available online, a quick gooogle search away. I am not allowed to paste links by boards but if you search the below you will find it

Scannell v Kennedy & Meehan (As Executors of the Estate of Thomas Meehan) & Ors (Approved)

Looks like the delay caused it to be thrown out, that case is the tip of the iceberg tbh

The befriending of other students and offering them fags & money and being overly helpful is also a classic predator ploy, in order to paint a different picture of them

Post edited by jimbojazz on

• Advertisement

Yes the delay and also the fact he had passed away, there was no precedent for suing the estate from what I understood from the details in the judgement

I’m not sure if the fact that the dpp decided not to move forward had any baring either

I was there from the mid 70's to the early 80's and he was at it then, so I can only imagine how many others there are.

From reading a report in the Irish Times, there's still grounds to sue the school and the UNChristian Brothers, btw I didn't realise he was one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

he wasn't a brother or a priest

States in that article he was, and also in the court papers, that was a bit of a surprise to me. He did wear one of those capes in class, especially when he was wrapping himself around a kid.

you would imagine the school is liable in this situation??

• Registered Users Posts: 45 eddie r

Damien tiernan is so insufferable the worst radio presenter ever in wlr a drama queen who blows everything up much bigger then it is hope to god they get rid

Still not a single mention of Liz Reddy, its like she never even existed. I wonder has she a case pending..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Gardner

why ta **** dont you tweet her so and ask her

• Advertisement

Advertisement