Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

An Cailin Ciuin

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note: No piracy talk please.

The film is legitimately available on multiple VOD platforms. It’s a tiny, small budget Irish film: it deserves your support.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭sporina

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

IFI and Light House have it back for end of year encore screenings at the moment, and I know arts centres like the Mermaid in Bray and Pavilion in Dun Laoghaire are also bringing it back in January, presumably due to the level of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,202 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I enjoyed it as an Irish made film with references to a time I recognise. At the risk of saying the king has no clothes, I also thought it rather over hyped. Lot of promotional help & people pushing it one suspects just because it's an Irish language film. Be surprised if it gets far in the Oscars thing. Maybe better on the big screen rather than TV.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Ah well it was good while it lasted 😔

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,776 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Lot of promotional help & people pushing it one suspects just because it's an Irish language film.

Or. It's a good movie people have championed because good Irish movies are like hen's teeth. Going double for ones with legitimately amazing cinematography. There isn't always an angle.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

To get 95 posts in before the first negative comment is an absolute miracle on this site.

well i hope the director et al are having a fab new years eve - they 100% deserve it.. wow wow wow.. xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Rented it on Google tonight. My wife and I were blown away. Beautiful piece of film making and emotinally draining and rewarding Both of us spent summers in rural Ireland but in happier surroundings

I did feel that the 'real' Dad was abusing too. At the start the kids go quiet when he enters the room when they are having breakfast before school. Then Cait asks her new 'mom' whether the trip they are taking is to be kept secret. Finally, at the end, did the eldest sister have a bruise?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭tamara25

The dad was very cold emotionally to the kids, that on its own can be very damaging.. it was a lovely film, will be watching it a second time.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Shuffl_in

Lots of promotional help? A lot of us who caught it in the cinema heard of it by word of mouth. I went to see this early on and there was four people in the cinema! Most people seem to have heard about it too late to catch on the big screen.

The best reviewed movie on Rotten Tomatoes in 2022. Shortlisted for an Oscar. Longlisted for 3 BAFTAs. Rave reviews both here and abroad.

It's a success, a huge success. Not driven by promotion nor Irish language lovers - people love the film.

Yeah, there was about 12 people in the cinema when I saw it, and it was recommended to me by friends. I don't think I've seen a poster for it.

Well, if you listen to RTE Radio at all then you can't have missed the regular glowing promos. And the subtext of these rightly or wrongly are along the lines that not only is this an Irish film but it's also a film as Gaeilge and therefore it's doubly 'good'.

I heard Colm & Cleona of Inscéal being interviewed on the film and they came across as decent, level headed and are clearly a small business that have put a great deal of work into it and deserve all credit for that.

The film though would hardly wash it's face in terms of paying it's way on it's own. The film industry generally benefits from public funding and taxation arrangements and due to the primary position of the Irish language, there are extra supports and sources of funding there. So they are not relying on payments from streaming services and cinema chains/ distributors.

As said, I enjoyed the film for what it is but ultimately was a bit underwhelmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,914 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

FWIW there were posters around during the "Dingle International Film Festival" in November, and it was screened there and a couple other places around the area.

The film has been an unprecedented success because it’s widely regarded as a great film. That it’s Irish language is of course something to be happy about (and is also a central element of the film’s identity), as Ireland has never had a cinematic success of this scale as Gaeilge. But we’ve had other pretty good films in Irish - such as the recent Arracht, another beneficiary of Cine4 funding - that have had nowhere near the same impact, despite good reviews. An Cailín Ciúin has struck a particular nerve, and its growing international acclaim and list of plaudits is testament to the fact that there’s more going on than just national pride and smart marketing. Its extremely elegant craft and understated performances are universal enough that they’re obviously striking a chord well beyond Irish people who may be more familiar with the specific details.

And arts funding is an essential feature of any good modern society. European countries in particular have a long, long record of funding truly great films of limited or worse commercial appeal, because they know that many, many great films would not exist if they were designed ‘for profit’. Cinema is better when many projects with limited commercial prospects are made. Ireland has a mixed track record when it comes to choosing which projects to fund, but Cine4 has been a pretty unambiguous success story. It has basically already doubled the number of Irish language features in existence, with more to come. It has funded a pretty diverse range of films - from light family comedy Róise & Frank to the dark famine thriller Arracht. There’s more to come too. They’ve already had one big breakout success in this film, which has done the improbable of being a tiny arthouse film that has won over audiences, critics and awards organisations alike. I for one would struggle to think of a more deserving film - this film is the real deal.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Interesting to note too that this films success story began at Berlinale early last year. It won an award there and was widely praised by an audience that presumably didn't give a fupp where the film was from or what language it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

I watched it last night through the IFI website and absolutely adored it! Question - was there any particular reason the bio dad didn't speak Irish?

cos he wasn't a native Irish speaker..

i think it was also used as a device - if you know what I mean.. he was out of touch with reality..

everyone is entitled to their opinion..

for those of ye energetically defending the film, there really is no need.. IT IS PHENOMENAL and the stats prove it ☺️

LOVE The Arts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,914 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

IMO he's the villain in the movie, his wife a big accomplice.

It's 1981 in Ireland, not sure exactly how much say the wife would have had in anything happening

Reality? Reality in 1981 was the same as reality in 2023 as regards spoken Irish. In fact you'd have more chance now of having a conversation as Gaeilge than in 1981. I don't want to appear anti Irish language as I'm not, but to represent a reality of Ireland as being Irish speaking anytime since the early 19th century is in the same league as 'pigs in the parlour' or the 'drunken Irish' etc It's nonsense, we have spoken Hiberno English for the past two centuries, apart from regions mostly in the west but also a pocket along the Waterford coast.

This film should be seen as part of the ongoing reinvention and rehabilitation of Irish, not as any representation of reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

I watched this movie over Christmas and absolutely loved it. It reminded me of Shoplifters by Kore-eda, particularly the ending. A beautiful little film that deserves all the praise it is getting

• Registered Users Posts: 28,776 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I don't think you were meant to take "reality" quite so literally!

hey thats a pretty great comparison.... my fav movie to date till this was Shoplifters.. I will never forget the effect it had on me when I saw it in the cinema - wow - but this beat it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,351 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

What streaming platforms is this on?

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Wondering how you see his wife as an accomplice? She's a victim of his as much as any of the children. Him spending the hay money, gambling their possessions away, relatives having to try and sneak money to her for the kids....

• Advertisement

Its avaliable to rent on Google, Rakuten, Sky Store, Apple, IFI Home, and Volta

Advertisement