Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSD for an old Linux desktop.

Options
  • 06-01-2023 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

I have had yet another failed HD in my old AMD based desktop and was thinking of getting a SSD from Amazon.

There seem to be various levels of SATA interfaces now, will any of them do?

Is there anything to look out for, I don't use the PC for anything needing high performance bar a bit of video manipulation. I want something to just fit and boot up from without having to spend hours trying to repair broken files as I have been doing for the last half dozen or so mechanical drives [now binned].

Can anyone recommend a device please or provide any pointers? I use 500G or 1TB in the other devices, so that would be the size I would use.

Thanks for reading.

SK

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,408 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Something like this would do the job, probably cheaper than Amazon as well:

https://www.paradigit.ie/western-digital-red-2-5-500-gb/20978813/product

1 TB option is available there also.

I've used tonnes of these drives to upgrade older laptops and desktop and they've been rock solid so far.

SATA interface which should be compatible with your existing setup.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Do you have an m.2 slot, or is SATA the only option? If you do go for a SATA one, you should be aware that there are m.2 drives that use the SATA protocol over m.2 ports, so don't get caught out by those.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

Thanks for the pointer. I found a unit on Amazon that looks the part. It's a 2.5 inch drive so it can go into a laptop if the desktop dies.

I may actually have a problem with the desktop, it was one I built many gears ago and as I had a few PC's I accumulated a lot of hard drives.

They recently started to fail and I have dumped over a dozen all used in the one PC. The trouble starts when Linux fails to boot and I then go through a few repair/ reformat cycles prior to the inevitable.

"Integral V Series 500GB SATA III 2.5 Inch Internal SSD, up to 520MB/s Read, 470MB/s Write" is the device I intend ordering anyway.

I got very technical and looked at the pictures of the connectors :-)

Many thanks

SK

Thanks, there is a slight problem that I cannot do web payments though. I have to phone or use Amazon for online purchases as I have no mobile and the Ipad I once used for security has died.

The device looks o/k, a bit more than I expected after a peek through Amazon though, but I might indulge if all else fails.

Thanks.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Unless you have a very specific era of exceptionally early SATA motherboards, they can negotiate the correct speed with the SSD so it doesn't matter if you use a SATA600/SATAIII unit like most modern ones are.

Those rarities can only use SATA150 devices and need either era-equivalent kit, or early SATA300 stuff that can be jumpered to run at SATA150

These are so rare I haven't seen one since maybe 2009; other than in a commercial Linux-based Freesat box I still use - not a normal computer!

Thanks,

I bought the board and CPU about ten years back I suppose, maybe more. It's an Asus Athlon device with 6 x SATA 3Gb/s connector(s), which is the total spec I can find.

It has certainly taken every hard drive I've thrown into it, but I have never used a SSD in anything I owned.

At 32 quid it isn't going to break the bank and if I dally about my £32-00 might not stretch to a spare cable the way things are going.

Current policy particularly with what I have in an old UK account is to spend the cash on what I want, or even might need before my quids are worthless.

I saw a Stanley knife at eight euro the other day, I thought it was a mistake :-(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Any 3gbs/300 sata controller will be fine with any newer kit.

Many thanks for the input.

I got the SSD today and am quite astonished at the speed.

It's odd really, Linux seems to be getting a little windows like in the time it takes to boot these days, the SSD is a marked improvement though.

Thanks all, the help was much appreciated.

That would be systemd being flabby and complicated. Microsoft have since hired it's developer!

Advertisement