Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed please

Options
  • 03-01-2023 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

Hi, I would like to paint our interior doors. They are pine wood which I varnished years ago. I have attached a picture of them. Any suggestions please from anyone that had success with this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

I recommend you check out Carlow paint hub on Instagram. They have guides etc on how to do this. A lot depends on whether you used oil or water based varnish before.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭starlight09

Thank you for replying. I used oil based varnish. I will check out Carlow paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

You will need to use a primer that’s specific for covering oil based varnish and has blocking properties. The guys in the paint hub will let you know exactly which ones to use for your type

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭sniperman

being a painter for 35 years,i have done tons of these doors,looks like they are glossed,so either use BIN primer/sealer,2 coats,and one finish coat,or 2 coats of oil based undercoat,2 coats finish,i would lightly sand between coats with a fine sanding sponge,and use a a medium pile radiator roller for best results,gives a nice flat finish,and also remove handles,,the knots in the wood wont bleed through the oil based paints,...ps.if useing the BIN primer be aware it drys very fast,and has a strong smell.so you have to work quickly,but it is good stuff,all the best

• Advertisement

Thank you so much for all that information and advice, it is so very helpful. Its a scary job but I hate the orange colour.

Advertisement